Washer fluid lid - incredibly annoying
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Washer fluid lid - incredibly annoying

I wonder how a luxurious car in this price range can have such an incredibly stupid lid for washer fluid - that cannot be really opened and keeps returning to cover the hole all the time. So that one cannot just pour it inside but has to try to hold it open by one hand etc. pouring the liquid outside, on the hand etc., that is just awful. To have a lid that just opens and keeps opened would be just what is needed ? Volvo, please awake, good morning ...

IMG_4948.jpg
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

open it, rotate it slightly, tuck the lid under whatever cable/tube is on the side. Pour at your heart's content
      This is what I've been doing for the past 4 years and it works pretty well for me...
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by chmax View Post
      open it, rotate it slightly, tuck the lid under whatever cable/tube is on the side. Pour at your heart's content
      This is what I've been doing for the past 4 years and it works pretty well for me...
      Hmm nice ... for kind of DIY car For a normal decent car - open it and it will keep open by itself
      2019 XC90 D5 Inscription, Maple Brown, Air Suspension, fully packed with all available packs

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

There's always something to complain about

Seriously. You have a wicked expensive car in my book, and this is what you're complaining about?
      Go wash it and enjoy the beauty you have and complain about the cost of the fluid instead.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      There's always something to complain about
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Alas, 1st world troubles . . .
      I use a funnel and that keeps the cap out of the way. And yeah, this fluid is darn expensive!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      Alas, 1st world troubles . . .
      I use a funnel and that keeps the cap out of the way. And yeah, this fluid is darn expensive!
      $1.87 @ Walmart - How am I going to manage?

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Seriously. You have a wicked expensive car in my book, and this is what you're complaining about?
      Go wash it and enjoy the beauty you have and complain about the cost of the fluid instead.
      Yes, I have very expensive car, so I rightly expect that the things and details are worth it Not to be able to open washer fluid lid normally - even a car costing 10 times less can do this easily ...

You can open it normally.

I don't see what is so hard about holding the lid with one hand. Or, as was mentioned, tuck the lid to hold it. Or pull the whole thing off and put it back when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      $1.87 @ Walmart - How am I going to manage?
      Pay someone $80/hr (?) to do it for you?
      Which begs the question: what percentage of luxury car owners actually 1. Open their hood 2. Check their fluids 3. Top off their fluids per the recommended intervals? Hmmmm . . .
      Last edited by likeXC90; 12-10-2019 at 09:15 AM.
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Pay someone $80/hr (?) to do it for you?
      Which begs the question: what percentage of luxury car owners actually 1. Open their hood 2. Check their fluids 3. Top off their fluids per the recommended intervals? Hmmmm . . .
      I think I can safely say there are at least 2 of us.

The SPA cars have a funnel in the truck for when you run out of fuel... why spend $1.87 for something the car comes with?

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      The SPA cars have a funnel in the truck for when you run out of fuel... why spend $1.87 for something the car comes with?
      They do???
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

I'm talking about the washer fluid. Walmart - $1.87/gal -20F -wicked expensive

You can open it normally.

I don't see what is so hard about holding the lid with one hand. Or, as was mentioned, tuck the lid to hold it. Or pull the whole thing off and put it back when you are done.
      Well, try to pour a liquid from a 7 l container with one hand And try to pour it in such a way they you don't pour it on your hand holding the lid too ... I would rather ask - what is so hard to install there a lid that can be normally opened ? Maybe Volvo will read it and understand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivos View Post
      Well, try to pour a liquid from a 7 l container with one hand And try to pour it in such a way they you don't pour it on your hand holding the lid too ... I would rather ask - what is so hard to install there a lid that can be normally opened ? Maybe Volvo will read it and understand ...
      what is so hard to put the fluid in a smaller container? I use 3.78L and it works fine.

First world problems. As mentioned above, I turn it to hold it against the rubber seal or any other car part and pour the liquid without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      I think I can safely say there are at least 2 of us.
      Thx for the laughs - keeping my day happy

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      They do???
      They ought too. It's a black plastic funnel. Same idea that Ford has been doing for years with the capless fuel systems so you can fill from a can if you need to, actually to address the concern the OP has, but more specifically to bypass the vent areas of the fuel system. It should be in the foam with the spare tire.

Older Volvos (2000 - 2007) and most of other current cars have this lid on a normal, comfortable joint that can be easily opened and closed ... Sure, you can create number of workarounds for anything ... but the best thing would be to have it normally and comfortably working ?

Older Volvos (2000 - 2007) and most of other current cars have this lid on a normal, comfortable joint that can be easily opened and closed ... Sure, you can create number of workarounds for anything ... but the best thing would be to have it normally and comfortably working ?
      Some Volvos had washer fluid lids that opened "normally" and some had ones like this. Somehow, people have survived.

Some Volvos had washer fluid lids that opened "normally" and some had ones like this. Somehow, people have survived.
      Sure, you would survive even if your seats are covered by old blankets, windows are plastic and the wheels 12''... But a kind of basic comfort is somehow expected ... even when pouring the washer fluid ...

Sure, you would survive even if your seats are covered by old blankets, windows are plastic and the wheels 12''... But a kind of basic comfort is somehow expected ... even when pouring the washer fluid ...
      Basic washer fluid pouring comfort. That’s a new one.
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |

Truth is they do it to keep technicians employed. We have one guy hold it open while another, more skilled technician pours. That's why the dealer charges so much.

Truth is they do it to keep technicians employed. We have one guy hold it open while another, more skilled technician pours. That's why the dealer charges so much.
      LOL And a third technician supervises, right?

I can't believe this thread about a nothing issue is still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Timewise View Post
      LOL And a third technician supervises, right?
      The apprentice watches for the 3rd person. Sometimes a manager will supervise to really drive the hourly costs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      They do???
      (MY2019 XC90) T8s in the USA definitely don't have a supplied funnel

(MY2019 XC90) T8s in the USA definitely don't have a supplied funnel
      For 2019 (your model year) the T8 specific owners manual on page 475 references the funnel in the foam block in the cargo area (same for gas models frankly). I don't have one on the lot to confirm, but my '19 S60 T8 has one. I really never checked every model to make sure it was really there but I don't remember ever looking for one an it not being there. It's black and comes in a plastic wrapper so it might not be really obvious, but it should be there.

For 2019 (your model year) the T8 specific owners manual on page 475 references the funnel in the foam block in the cargo area (same for gas models frankly). I don't have one on the lot to confirm, ... It's black and comes in a plastic wrapper so it might not be really obvious, but it should be there.
      Hmmm, so I checked my T8 owners manual PDF page 475 and it was the audio section as shown below. Under what section in the T8 manual was the funnel mentioned? I've definitely gone through my trunk several times between installing/wiring dashcams and dashcam batteries and using the tire patch/inflator kit (hopelessly). No sign of a funnel unfortunately. Also I got my US spec MY2019 T8 via OSD so that could also be a differentiating factor perhaps?

I just went to the PDF and searched for "Funnel" to find it. It shows under the "refueling" heading. Not sure why it's a different page number. The page you referenced is page 501 online.. here is the direct link to the reference i'm using. Sorry for the confusion!

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...US_TP25890.pdf

I just went to the PDF and searched for "Funnel" to find it. It shows under the "refueling" heading. Not sure why it's a different page number. The page you referenced is page 501 online.. here is the direct link to the reference i'm using. Sorry for the confusion!

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/man...US_TP25890.pdf
      Using the link above it appears it's on page 475 (as you previously said). And I re-searched my trunk and found the funnel - so you are correct and I was wrong! (I can't believe I've been displacing it around the trunk without really noticing or opening it until now!) Thanks.
      But this funnel diameter is way too small for my poor coordination - I'll stick with my wide mouth funnel

Last edited by likeXC90; 12-12-2019 at 08:04 PM.

35. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements