Help for dead T8 ? Charging plug stuck in there, too! Ack
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Brought my 2019 XC90 T8 Inscription in for it's first service recently, and within a few days, it's completely dead. Nothing works at all. Plugged it into charge overnight (40a 220v) and the plug won't unlock to come out, either.

I was able using the real hidden key to get into the car and pop the hood, and tried using my 1 amp battery tender to charge the 12v battery, but after DAYS of charging, nothing.

Any ideas? How the heck do I even get the charge plug out so I can have it towed?? What do you think happened here?

Thanks.
      2019 XC90 T8 Inscription (OSD)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had it lock into my car a few times. Major hassle. Worst comes to worst open your window and toss the wall end in when you get it towed.

If it’s truly dead dead, the tow company may need to put it on dollies to move it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

This happened to me twice. I used the key for entry, then a jumper box on the connection points under the hood. As soon as I connected the jumper box, the alarm went off. I pressed unlock on the remote and the charger disconnected. 1 Amp might not be enough.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
      Brought my 2019 XC90 T8 Inscription in for it's first service recently, and within a few days, it's completely dead. Nothing works at all. Plugged it into charge overnight (40a 220v) and the plug won't unlock to come out, either.

I was able using the real hidden key to get into the car and pop the hood, and tried using my 1 amp battery tender to charge the 12v battery, but after DAYS of charging, nothing.

Any ideas? How the heck do I even get the charge plug out so I can have it towed?? What do you think happened here?

Thanks.
      I haven’t seen that issue for a couple years. There used to be a software bug that drained the battery to zero. I seriously hope there isn’t a software regression or this group is going to light up with this issue again.

When this happened to me, the tow guy connected one of those portable jumper batteries to the jumper posts in the hood and everything fired right back up. Once I started it, I was able to drive to the dealership to get the software upgraded. Haven’t seen it since then.

2017 XC90 T8 Inscription | Luminous Sand | Blond Interior (leather and carpet) | Vision | Conv | Climate
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription | Luminous Sand | Blond Interior (leather and carpet) | Vision | Conv | Climate

Thanks - next thing I'll try is a jump from my other Volvo tonight. Fingers crossed.

Thanks.
      Tow it to Volvo. You get free life time towing to the dealer from Volvo. Why hassle with it, let Volvo diagnose and solve.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Tow it to Volvo. You get free life time towing to the dealer from Volvo. Why hassle with it, let Volvo diagnose and solve.
      First thing, it's physically attached to my house. I don't think house-moving is covered by Volvo.

First thing, it's physically attached to my house. I don't think house-moving is covered by Volvo.
      Give your local dealer a ring. Let them know what happened. See what their tech department recommends as the solution. Once plug is detached have it towed over free of charge.

Well maybe you want your house planted on a nice piece of land overlooking your local Volvo? Ok seriously see above.

So you’re not using the charging cable? It’s a permanently installed charger?

Going forward I’d seriously consider disabling the locking mechanism of your home charger. It’s not like you have to worry about someone else unplugging you or stealing your cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Any ideas? How the heck do I even get the charge plug out so I can have it towed?? ...

Thanks.
      A battery tender only maintains the existing battery charge. If there is no or insufficient charge, the battery tender is of zero use and no effect.

You need a “real” charger or jump charging cables with sufficient amperage for charging or at least 10 amps for an ~ overnight charge. A jump start is not practical until the EVSE plug is removed. If the hybrid battery has absolutely no charge, see the note and call your dealer. I have never had to jump my car (Knick on wood).

Be sure to review the owner’s manual for charging. I assume that you will be charging from the designated jump / charging posts under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-10-2019 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Removed jump start as a solution.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 14 Nov 2019 | 43K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

BLown fuse?

Thanks.
      Have you check all the fuses yet?

The traction battery and the 12 volt battery are separate in the sense that leaving a door open with the interior lights running could discharge the 12 volt battery but not affect the traction battery. So as suggested above you need to get something with enough juice to light up the system. I had this happen on my Prius many years ago. Once I put a high amperage charger on the terminals I was able to start the car. When you jump with your other car that should work assuming the 12 volt battery is still functional.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements