Blond interior... anyone regret getting it?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi-

About to pull the trigger on 2017 CPO XC90 Inscription with all the toys.. it has the blond interior which aesthetically I think is very handsome and I do like the fact that volvo made the floor surfaces dark so less angst about dirt and whatnot tracked in by foot.

I do have a bunch of pre-teens/teens in the car regularly and I basically exist to transport children to and fro various sporting activities... so wondering if anyone regrets getting the blond interior with a similarly active group of people in and out of the car?

I am a "don't eat in the car" kind of guy but had let that slip somewhat as my current ride (2010 BMW 535ix Wagon) started to get pretty long in the tooth. I can/will enforce common sense stuff to prevent spills.. but do the seats just get dirty from normal life? And if so, how hard to rejuvenate or any tips to protect?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We don't have the kids, though we have transported kids of various ages over the years, but we have had blonde leather seats for almost 19 years in our V70 and they still look good. The only regret we have from it is that back then that color came with a light colored dash and that causes reflections on the inside of the windshield that can affect visibility. We're debating blonde or amber if we decide on a new car.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
      Hi-

About to pull the trigger on 2017 CPO XC90 Inscription with all the toys.. it has the blond interior which aesthetically I think is very handsome and I do like the fact that volvo made the floor surfaces dark so less angst about dirt and whatnot tracked in by foot.
      +1. I have blonde carpet and blonde textile maps for summer and black OEM rubber maps for winter. No problem at all but I keep it clean the carpet.

I do have a bunch of pre-teens/teens in the car regularly and I basically exist to transport children to and fro various sporting activities... so wondering if anyone regrets getting the blond interior with a similarly active group of people in and out of the car?
      No teens or pre-teens, but some adults can be as bad or worse at times. I have absolutely no regrets with the all blonde interior. I clean it as needed or at least monthly.

I am a "don't eat in the car" kind of guy but had let that slip somewhat as my current ride (2010 BMW 535ix Wagon) started to get pretty long in the tooth. I can/will enforce common sense stuff to prevent spills.. but do the seats just get dirty from normal life? And if so, how hard to rejuvenate or any tips to protect?

Thanks!
      Really only dye transfer that wipes off easy. Keep sharp items away from the perforated seats and I minimize sliding across seats. I am a no-eat mode except on long, hurried trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-10-2019 at 09:57 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

We have the blond interior on our 2019 XC90 and don’t regret it one bit. Actually much easier to keep clean than expected, and have a kid in the back seat every day.

Only note is I use leather cleaner to wipe down the seats every month or two, especially on the outside edge of the driver’s seat, where my wife’s jeans transfer some blue (comes off super easy though, just a couple wipes). I also use some leather conditioner/protection cream to help.
      On order: 2020 S60 Polestar Engineered, Osmium Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

Quote Originally Posted by beers View Post
      We have the blond interior on our 2019 XC90 and don’t regret it one bit. Actually much easier to keep clean than expected, and have a kid in the back seat every day.

Only note is I use leather cleaner to wipe down the seats every month or two, especially on the outside edge of the driver’s seat, where my wife’s jeans transfer some blue (comes off super easy though, just a couple wipes). I also use some leather conditioner/protection cream to help.
      That's very reassuring.. blue jean dyes can create stains on other textiles.

I've got blonde interior in my 2017 XC90 with 31,000 miles and it still looks great. I clean it every couple months with Lexol.
      OSD ordered 2017 XC90 Inscription Luminous Sand with Blonde Leather and Charcoal carpet, 234 wheels, Convenience, Climate with HUD, Vision, B&W Sound, Polestar and air suspension

I have the blonde and also transport my 7 and 3 year old kids almost daily. The XC is also the bigger of our vehicles so it gets used every weekend for family trips. Like everyone else said, it's not hard to keep clean. The only issue I had is once my son dropped a marker (we have travel trays that fit on their lap for coloring) without the cap on between the seats and didn't tell me. Since the seat belts are also blonde I now have a multi-colored stain on the base of the center belt. You can only see it when the middle seat is folded down so no biggie. I have also gotten the occasional light stain from jeans on the drivers seat but it wipes right up. I keep a container of leather wipes in the side pocket in the trunk so I can quickly clean any spills immediately.

As a side note, my car has been at the dealer for the past week and the loaner has the black interior and I can tell you that it doesn't have the same appeal as the blonde in my opinion.

Have blonde interior in both of our cars. the seats are easy to clean. The bigger issue is the back of the front seats from kids kicking (can be fixed with a kick guard) and the door scuff plate gets dirty from walking on them which is much harder to clean. Having that said it's not bad and I have no regrets getting the blonde. It feels much roomier and brighter than a darker interior.
      2017 XC90 Inscription
      2017 V90 CC

Hi-

Thanks!
      Every last bit of dirt is visible. Clothes bleed onto seats. I purchased Custom Seat Covers out of Greece that look stunning. Cost $300. Personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Every last bit of dirt is visible. Clothes bleed onto seats. I purchased Custom Seat Covers out of Greece that look stunning. Cost $300. Personal preference.
      Do certain clothes bleed through or is it more often when they're wet? I haven't had any issue but just want to be mindful to prevent it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by nerv81 View Post
      Do certain clothes bleed through or is it more often when they're wet? I haven't had any issue but just want to be mindful to prevent it in the future.
      Dyes in clothes bleed. I got sick of my black pants turning my blond seats a dingy color. Seems the dyes used in clothes today easily rub off. I put on very nice looking seat covers and am happy. Seats look good as new. I have these on my S60 and like them 3 years later. Hold up well. They make for the XC90. And if there's a problem like something doesn't fit perfect, they'll remake them free of charge. I.E. my arm rest needed redone as it wasn't good fit.

https://www.topcar-athens.com/produc...ar_seat_covers

Quote Originally Posted by nerv81 View Post
      Mostly denim - blue and black are common for dye transfer. I have not had non-denim dye transfer.

Even so, dye transfer comes off easily with a damp cloth. Treat it occasionally with leather cleaner and conditioner.

Everything requires care (except for owners who don’t care).

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

Our boys were 4-6YOs when I bought my white SPA truck. Took one look at the blonde and said: no effin' way. Our soccer league plays through "winter" in the mud and there's no way the tan would've held up against markers, colored clay, bicycle grease, transporting used parts from th ejunkyard, etc. etc. Also, from the history of other posts in SS, wear/tear shows more on the blonde. I've since also had the misfortune of spending weeks in a tan SPA, just don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      Our boys were 4-6YOs when I bought my white SPA truck. Took one look at the blonde and said: no effin' way. Our soccer league plays through "winter" in the mud and there's no way the tan would've held up against markers, colored clay, bicycle grease, transporting used parts from th ejunkyard, etc. etc. Also, from the history of other posts in SS, wear/tear shows more on the blonde. I've since also had the misfortune of spending weeks in a tan SPA, just don't do it.
      Interior color is a personal preference. I like black and maple, but I love the airy and spacious blonde interior.

Having experience, mud and dye transfer show up on black, too. Just depends on the ease that one chooses to hide it or the commitment to periodically clean it.

But in fairness, no more toddlers and teenagers for me so it is admittedly easier to maintain. Just depends on what you really want.

Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-11-2019 at 06:40 PM.

I like blonde and my first MY16 is blonde and my second one is black. Compared to the black I have now, I prefer the blonde I had before.

I have a new blonde interior on my XC60 arriving soon. I absolutely prefer and gravitate towards lighter shades over the years — off-whites to tans to lighter grey — black, brown, red have been my one-offs.

That being said, I have a friend with pre-teens that swore-off ever having a light interior again. I don’t have young kids, but if I was still doing my caravan-ing thing hauling kids/people to multi-day/week hiking events or say ball games where outfits can get muddy like my friend dealt with a couple times per week, etc., “off white” interiors just don’t make a lot of sense.

I take good care of my cars and don’t have young ones — I also have never allowed the eating thing in my rides and don’t do my hiking/camping thing as I did for so long. As has been mentioned, blonde, ecru, or “off white” leather isn’t a huge problem to take care of with proper hydration and taking care of dirt/blue jean transfer — just stay on top of it and not a problem. If you don’t take care of it a little more proactively, and allow dirt/grime to build-up and sort of grind-in, you will have a harder job to resolve IF you can. IMHO, dye transfer will happen from most jeans — darker are more vulnerable; also just be sure clothes are fully washed — check labels and you’ll notice many suggest you wash separately or do that before wearing — all because as they get damp —maybe from perspiration in summer?— may be more vulnerable to dye transfer like darker blue jeans tend to be...

Just some thoughts for whatever their worth... I’m finicky with how clean my rides are. In the end, if you really love blonde interior and you have a great deal on your CPO — go for it. It sounds like you already have some basic discipline how your cars are treated by your passengers, so you’re already ahead of the game. Just be sure you are willing and follow-through with some basic maintenance of your interior and you’ll likely be fine. Good luck with your choice!
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

I inherited XC90 with a blonde interior when my wife got Q7. First I thought it would be a nightmare to maintain, but it's not that bad at all even with 4 yo copilot. Preventive maintenance is a king and if your seats have a coat of your favorite leather conditioner - you are good to go. Just throw in some cheap seat covers and steering wheel cover when your car goes in for service - it sucks to remove black smudges off the steering wheel. don't ask me how I know.

p.s. get the OEM rubber floor mats in black. Totally worth it in New England weather.
      p.p.s. after an airy interior of XC black interior of Q7 makes me slightly claustrophobic. An additional bonus: light-colored interior doesn't soak up heat as bad in the summertime.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

Have a 2017 with 28K and I still love the blonde interior. Clean as needed with some Volvo leather cleaner and conditioner. Still looks great. Had some loaners with black interiors and I can say that blonde was right for me.

I was over black or dark interiors years ago and whenever I get a rental or loaner with a black interior I'm reminded how claustrophobic they feel while showing every speck of dust and lint.
      Blond or light color interiors are cooler in summer and allow one to appreciate the detail that's gone into the exceptional design.
      If you have a "jeans" problem simply keep a small towel in the car to place on the seat cushion when needed. There's no need to go the full seat cover route.

No regrets from me. Last 3 cars before this all had light interiors. I feel very closed in with a dark interior especially if the roof lining is dark too.

I never close the cover on the pano roof on this or he last car, it makes the space very roomy feeling.

Seats hold up well on 2017 XC90 Inscription with 40,000 miles. Only issue is my black leather belt, which has transferred black color to the back of the driver seat. Everyone else says they are easy to clear, but in my experience leather cleaner has not removed this black color.

Leather door armrest has been scuffed slightly by my watch, but at my mileage that's to be expected.

Woolite mixed 10 to 1 with water (10 parts water to 1 part Woolite). Enjoy your blond interior.
      2013 XC60>2015.5 XC60>2018 XC60, 2020 XC60.
      2016 XC90 Inscription>2018 XC90 R-Design Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by jowillie View Post
      Woolite mixed 10 to 1 with water (10 parts water to 1 part Woolite). Enjoy your blond interior.
      OK, if that works to clean the black mark off the back of my seat I'm going to be very thankful.

My blonde leather is pretty dirty on the driver's side. I don't think it's actual dirt, just the dye from my pants working into the seat over time. I thought it would rub out easy with leather cleaner. Wrong. Once it's in there it's there to stay. If I had a recommendation it would be treat it really well with leather protector up front.

I have had blond interiors on Volvos since 1989, including blond cloth on 240s and 850s. Check the glove box, it probably has a Volvo leather cleaning package in it, they have been included on all Volvos with blonde interiors since 2016. It is good for a few applications. I just use that to wipe spot issues as they happen and use the Volvo leather cleaning and protection kit once a year on the entire interior. Always looks fantastic.
      His: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Inscription, Osmium Gray, Blond leather, Polestar optimization. Hers: 2019 XC60 T5 FWD Momentum, Silver, blond leather.
      His Toy: 2017 Mazda Miata, Red with beige leather, 6MT. Her toy: 2013 C70, Caspian Blue with black sovereign hide interior.
      Daughter number one: 2016 XC60 T5 FWD
      Daughter number two: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD Momentum with Polestar, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by justacopilot View Post
      My blonde leather is pretty dirty on the driver's side. I don't think it's actual dirt, just the dye from my pants working into the seat over time. I thought it would rub out easy with leather cleaner. Wrong. Once it's in there it's there to stay. If I had a recommendation it would be treat it really well with leather protector up front.
      LEATHERIQUE works

Blond interior on a 2010 XC60 going on 100.000 miles now - still looks great after 10 years and definitely the better choice with the Seville Gray (gun-metal gray) exterior.

I find that "wet wipes" (as used to clean baby's bums) work well to clean dirt and the odd denim stain - but I also treat the seats with a leather conditioner ever 3 to 4 months.
      Regards
      Pierre
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Current: 2016 V40 D4; 2010 XC60 T6
      Previous: 2015 V40 D3; 2007 S60 2.5T; 2004 S60 2.0T; 2002 V70XC 2.4T Autotech Tune; 1996 850 GLT

You may want to consider applying a sealant to the leather. I use “Shield” and mild cleaner from Colourlock. Cleaning is super easy with the sealant on. A new leather has a clear coat on it, so a conditioner simply sits on the surface and easily comes off as you sit and slide around on it. And then the clear coat eventually wears off and there is no protection on the leather anymore. Damages and stains can be done to the leather more easily.
      2020 V60 CC, Birch Light, Advanced PKG, 19" wheels
      Past cars: Original Toyota 86, Subaru Legacy Wagon, Audi A4, V70, XC70, BMW M3, AMG SLK, Mini Cooper S

Quote Originally Posted by jaep View Post
      You may want to consider applying a sealant to the leather. I use “Shield” and mild cleaner from Colourlock. Cleaning is super easy with the sealant on. A new leather has a clear coat on it, so a conditioner simply sits on the surface and easily comes off as you sit and slide around on it. And then the clear coat eventually wears off and there is no protection on the leather anymore. Damages and stains can be done to the leather more easily.
      I use Colourlock as well and their products are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      I use Colourlock as well and their products are excellent.
      Cool I'll look into that one.

this is a MY17 inscription CPO... seats are still pretty pristine as is the leather trim in the car. I assume colorlock can be applied at any point in the leather's lifespan..

33. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements