Polestar upgrade... "rubber meets the road".. instrumented testing? - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
      I sometimes wonder whether those guys ripping into Polestar have actually tested it or just give us their opinions based on numbers from leaflets.
      Driven plenty of P* tuned cars. They just feel like I would expect them to be from the factory....not what I'd call a real aftermarket tuned and sorted out car

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
      The difference in Polestar is obvious in all driving modes and certainly not a perception. The torque curve bumps up from mid-200s to 325 from 1500-4000 rpm as part of the polestar upgrade and the significantly increased and flattened torque curve is exactly how it performs. The torque bump ranges from 30-75 lb-ft as the stock 295 torque is just a peak number, not a flat number like the 325 is. You'll immediately notice increased midrange, better and quicker shifting, and more predictable gear changes. The tune is about drivability and real world performance, this isn't a trackday tune intended to give you better drag strip times.
      That big of a torque curve bump should definitely result in actual, measurable increase in performance vs. it "feels" better.

This is my point precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ridley View Post
      I can't believe we need to debate the validity or effectiveness of a tune on a turbocharged engine. These engines can be adjusted for measurably different behavior and performance. And no, the manufacturer can't tune it to make everyone happy.

I'm just glad this is an option on a luxury car.
      Well, apparently they can tune the engine via software very effectively.... the point is, if it's just an "optimization" vs. a measurable increase in performance.. why wouldn't it be integrated into the car in the first place?

i.e. scratch out the word "dynamic" and put in "polestar" and when you twist the knob, you get this "more optimized" driving dynamic for those of us that like to drive a little sportier.

And you can keep comfort mode.. more comfortable. Or mix and match in the personalized settings.. polestar throttle response, comfort mode suspension and braking.

Oh wait, I can do that already except the dynamic mode is... sub-optimized?

Just seems like something like this should be already included...... oh wait, it is in MY2020?

Anyways, put all the "it doesn't measurably increase performance but it's more satisfying to drive" and the "why wasn't it included in the first place"... I'd probably just have it done but the pricing is whack... this should be a ~$300 upgrade... not $1,000.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

yeah for the miniscule gains for the T8, $300 would be fair if you could convince yourself it shouldn't have been that way to begin with.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      yeah for the miniscule gains for the T8, $300 would be fair if you could convince yourself it shouldn't have been that way to begin with.

Maybe more worth in in the T6 for the torque gains from a driveability standpoint.. probably punchier when passing... but with a lack of real world gains via instrumenting.. it isn't worth that much more to me than ~$300.

At $1,000 I'd be chipping the car once my powertrain warranty was done.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
      Well, apparently they can tune the engine via software very effectively.... the point is, if it's just an "optimization" vs. a measurable increase in performance.. why wouldn't it be integrated into the car in the first place?
      Because the bump in Torque on the T6 is very noticeable, and many people wouldn't want it that way or care for it that way, and Volvo knows it. Those that it does make a difference to are willing to pay the extra $ to get the tune with a factory warranty untouched...after all, most are probably only keeping the vehicle during the warranty anyways and moving onto whatever is next in 4 years.

i.e. scratch out the word "dynamic" and put in "polestar" and when you twist the knob, you get this "more optimized" driving dynamic for those of us that like to drive a little sportier.
      The polestar tune and dynamic mode have no relationship. dynamic is the typical European "sport" mode which just makes it downshift 2 gears and makes it feel and sound fast even though its really not, rather - its just annoying. Polestar is a major bump in torque on the T6, with shifts happening more quickly and the gearbox just being in the right gear (ie: not 2 gears short of where it should be).

The bump in torque is easily apparent in all modes ie: the power differential is mode independent.

Anyways, put all the "it doesn't measurably increase performance but it's more satisfying to drive" and the "why wasn't it included in the first place"... I'd probably just have it done but the pricing is whack... this should be a ~$300 upgrade... not $1,000.
      Not sure about that, other than the ebay tuner boxes, there's no such thing as a legitimate $300 tune that impacts engine and gearbox programming, and is fully integrated into the vehicle... and there certainly isn't anything else that keeps the factory warranty intact.
      Last edited by nickv; 12-23-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Aftermarket tunes dont automatically void factory warranties. Magnussen Moss Act prevents that.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Driven plenty of P* tuned cars. They just feel like I would expect them to be from the factory....not what I'd call a real aftermarket tuned and sorted out car
      Yeah, totally agree. But, as it is not as it should be from the factory, you have the opportunity to fix it for about 600Ä. Is it worth? Regarding the car feeling definitely. Regarding Justice, fair play and all this stuff, perhaps not.

Awaiting Approval
      I'd be interested if it could give me the throttle response of Dynamic coupled with the regular settings for the transmission. I dont need to drive around at redline but my god did they program a dead responding gas pedal. The first inch does NOTHING at all and switching to Dynamic gives me twitchy race car. '20 T5 BTW.

Maybe Iím just completely missing something, but if a 3rd party software (albeit owned by the same company) can help the car perform better in the mid-ranges with no impact to gas mileage, doesnít that just mean the car wasnít properly tuned in the first place?

Agree with the OP that they shouldíve just put this in all their cars.

When you pay money to buy the hardware, the software to enable optimal performance should not cost extra. Basically nobody except for Volvo does this. Iím surprised people are willing to pay extra for this obvious money grab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Walch1102 View Post
      Maybe Iím just completely missing something, but if a 3rd party software (albeit owned by the same company) can help the car perform better in the mid-ranges with no impact to gas mileage, doesnít that just mean the car wasnít properly tuned in the first place?

Agree with the OP that they shouldíve just put this in all their cars.

When you pay money to buy the hardware, the software to enable optimal performance should not cost extra. Basically nobody except for Volvo does this. Iím surprised people are willing to pay extra for this obvious money grab.

No, bmw and audi started it actually.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Aftermarket tunes dont automatically void factory warranties. Magnussen Moss Act prevents that.

M-M act covers aftermarket direct replacements parts (ie: aftermarket brake pads, etc), it doesn't not cover performance modifications like a tune. An aftermarket tune typically voids your powertrain warranty.

Lots of comments on why it doesn't come with P* from he factory. I bet it has to do with emissions. Even if the gas mileage doesn't change, Volvo still has to meet emissions requirements across their fleet of cars as is from the factory. Maybe the P* being on every XC90 put them over some emissions standard so they just offer it as an upgrade...a costly one at that.

I just put mine in dynamic when I want a more responsive drive. I'll save my $1000 for something else. Didn't buy the XC90 for excitement, just wanted a comfortable safe ride from point A to B that could haul 4+ people and all our crap.

One more thing...I wonder how P* makes a difference for vehicles that are at 5,000ft altitude since that does have an impact on performance...mostly NA engines, but TC/SC engines do take a hit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by saejin View Post
      Lots of comments on why it doesn't come with P* from he factory. I bet it has to do with emissions. Even if the gas mileage doesn't change, Volvo still has to meet emissions requirements across their fleet of cars as is from the factory. Maybe the P* being on every XC90 put them over some emissions standard so they just offer it as an upgrade...a costly one at that.

I just put mine in dynamic when I want a more responsive drive. I'll save my $1000 for something else. Didn't buy the XC90 for excitement, just wanted a comfortable safe ride from point A to B that could haul 4+ people and all our crap.

One more thing...I wonder how P* makes a difference for vehicles that are at 5,000ft altitude since that does have an impact on performance...mostly NA engines, but TC/SC engines do take a hit as well.
      No, the P* tune cannot change emissions or mpg. It is simply a money grab.

2006 Passion Red S60R

No, bmw and audi started it actually.

What are they called? Iíve driven both and was never presented with those options.

M Performance Power Kit. Dont know what audi calls theirs

2006 Passion Red S60R

Polestar upgrade... "rubber meets the road".. instrumented testing?

M Performance Power Kit. Dont know what audi calls theirs

The BMW kit increases HP and torque and has an impact on gas mileage. Totally different.

Does BMW have a software upgrade that doesnít change any numbers but just tunes the car so it feels more responsive? I donít believe they do.

Wtf dude? It increases power and torque just like a P* upgrade does, the mpg impact is irrelevant.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Wtf dude? It increases power and torque just like a P* upgrade does, the mpg impact is irrelevant.

I cannot understand why you are so negative about P*. All users I've read from are extremely happy, including myself. It turns the car into another one, much more pleasant to drive. If this were democratic, you lose by far.

And no, the main effect of P* is not increasing power/torque. At least, max values of P/T. The main effect is to remap many components of the car (gas pedal, gearbox, ...) and to increase torque at lower rev's, not max power.

If you insist on assessing P* just because of the increase in P/T, we are not talking about the same thing.

Oh wow you have deluded yourself to justify your purchase. Now we are splitting hairs on where and how it makes performance.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Quote Originally Posted by Walch1102 View Post
      The BMW kit increases HP and torque and has an impact on gas mileage. Totally different.

Does BMW have a software upgrade that doesnít change any numbers but just tunes the car so it feels more responsive? I donít believe they do.

Volvo can make the claim regarding no change to stated MPG because that's true, in Comfort, which is what the MPG rating was tested in. But there's a difference when it comes to (old) Dynamic vs. Polestar Engineered. Even with a modest boost to peak hp and torque numbers, and with a more important boost to mid-level curves, it means greater fuel consumption.

Oh wow you have deluded yourself to justify your purchase. Now we are splitting hairs on where and how it makes performance.
      I completely agree that P* should be the standard tune included in the base price of a T6 XC90, and have been saying so for years on this forum. However given that I have chosen to own the XC90 for many other reasons, P* is indispensable (to me) and the purchase entirely justifiable. I would not own a T6 without P*.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

Just to add my $0.02...

I have a 2018 XC60 T6 with Polestar, and a 2019 S60 T6 without.

I can say there's definitely a difference between them.

The P* is definitely more punchy and the shift points seem a bit more "intuitive" as well? Like in full auto mode, it downshifts more when you'd expect it to. Plus the drive in comfort/default mode is more to my liking.

Another note about P* that I'm not sure has been mentioned, is that it changes how the AWD system works when in Dynamic/P* mode or when "ESC Sport" is engaged. Basically it engages the AWD clutch earlier/more aggressively in turns or when accelerating from low speeds. That part is most certainly noticeable as well, especially if you want to have a little fun in ice/snow. 😉

I do think Polestar should be a $0 option for the T6/T8 engines... As the price is a bit much, although I got my dealer to price match their own online parts price, which saved me a few hundred dollars.

But tl;dr; yes the P* tune does make an appreciable difference in day to day driving and I definitely would do it again for my personal car, even if I had to pay full price.

These SPA Volvos are never really going to be "sporty" cars, but the P* tune does help a bit in making it a bit more fun for day to day driving. At the end of the day, these are 4 cylinder 2.0 litre engines, and the SPA platform is tuned for driving comfort and everyday practicality, not sporty driving.
      Last edited by shammyh; 01-02-2020 at 01:52 PM.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

26. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2