Opinions on new vb vs m66 swap
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Opinions on new vb vs m66 swap

Before anyone just jumps and says m66 swap! Let me give some background.

My 06 V70R is getting some shift flares, mainly from 2nd to 3rd under harder acceleration. I have been toying with the idea of doing an M66 swap but finding one is a pain in my ass and most of the time they're 1500+ dollars for the entire swap.
      However I found a new valvebody for 730 bucks and I can do the swap with a buddy for next to nothing and have a fresh TF-80SC.

The plans for the car are bolt ons and MAYBE a K24 hybrid and shooting for 350 at the wheels give or take.

I just want some opinions since I've read virtually every thread on here in regards to the auto and it's a stout transmission minus the VB issues. I commute to TX from NM for college so the auto is nice on the freeway but driving in 6th on the freeway isnt an issue either.
      I'm just curious on people opinions. Ideally I'd like to stay away from any level 10 auto builds since I'm not shooting for anymore then 400 at the most anyway.

Inputs appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnslo View Post
      Before anyone just jumps and says m66 swap! Let me give some background.

My 06 V70R is getting some shift flares, mainly from 2nd to 3rd under harder acceleration. I have been toying with the idea of doing an M66 swap but finding one is a pain in my ass and most of the time they're 1500+ dollars for the entire swap.
      However I found a new valvebody for 730 bucks and I can do the swap with a buddy for next to nothing and have a fresh TF-80SC.

The plans for the car are bolt ons and MAYBE a K24 hybrid and shooting for 350 at the wheels give or take.

I just want some opinions since I've read virtually every thread on here in regards to the auto and it's a stout transmission minus the VB issues. I commute to TX from NM for college so the auto is nice on the freeway but driving in 6th on the freeway isnt an issue either.
      I'm just curious on people opinions. Ideally I'd like to stay away from any level 10 auto builds since I'm not shooting for anymore then 400 at the most anyway.

Inputs appreciated!
      Just a fair warning, I wouldn't trust any Valve Body except a genuine Volvo. If it's not brand new stock, and a refurb, it's just going to develop the same exact issues again.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

it is a new oem valvebody, i wouldnt take the risk of some unknown one.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I would say roll with the VB then. But I'm biased because I'm one of the few R owners that prefer the TF80 over the M66.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

Just throw a cooler on it, in line filter and drain an fill every 10k. I have zero issues with my R an had flaring when I first bought it at 58k, now at 128 an no issues.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Just throw a cooler on it, in line filter and drain an fill every 10k. I have zero issues with my R an had flaring when I first bought it at 58k, now at 128 an no issues.
      Do you do this using the FCP return policy for the fluid?
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 50K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 70k

What filter do you use? I'm about to install a cooler on mine.

Drain and fill costs 18$ btw, if you use valvoline max life.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

My sciatic pain says do everything to ameliorate shift prob before even pondering the m66 swap. Shifting the Rs is not pleasureable like shifting an s2000.

I see so just a gallon every 10k. Do a lot of other R owners use the max life? It does say for Volvo.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k

Quote Originally Posted by BaltotheRolf View Post

I'm sticking with 3309, meets OE specs along with toyota's ATF. Haven't had any issues for 75k.

Filter:
      https://www.amazon.com/Magnefine-Mag...6162618&sr=8-3
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      I see so just a gallon every 10k. Do a lot of other R owners use the max life? It does say for Volvo.
      Yup! On both accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by BaltotheRolf View Post

I'm sticking with 3309, meets OE specs along with toyota's ATF. Haven't had any issues for 75k.

Filter:
      https://www.amazon.com/Magnefine-Mag...6162618&sr=8-3
      Thanks mate! I'll be picking one up.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

Just a references for others here is the spec sheet for the MAX LIFE. It does list as compatible with the 3309 if your wondering.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 150k

Yes, I looked into a while ago but decided against it. The TF80 is super picky (Rediculous IMO) so I decided it's either OEM, Mobil or Toyota.

Genuine Toyota T-IV and Mobil 3309 are the only OEM approved and licensed service fills for applications calling for T-IV specs. Toyota/Aisin does not have a fluid licensing program like GM, Ford and Chrysler do.

There are a number of fluids on the market that are recommended for use in T-IV applications. They are marketed under the "multi-vehicle" label, examples of which include Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF, Valvoline Maxlife ATF and Amsoil ATF. These fluids are not tested and approved by the OEM. Instead, they have been field tested extensively by their additive supplier, but they definitely do not go through the same amount of testing as the OEM approved fluid. Lubrizol, a major additive supplier, is a big proponent of multi-vehicle fluids. You can read their propaganda for multi-vehicle products here:

http://assets.2tmedia.com/pr/pdfs/17...sue_1_2008.pdf

On the other hand, the Society of Automtive Engineers (SAE) has a published paper which states that multi-vehicle fluids are not optimal, and that OEM approved service fills are the correct choice:

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987

You can read both and decide for yourself.

Yes, I looked into a while ago but decided against it. The TF80 is super picky (Rediculous IMO) so I decided it's either OEM, Mobil or Toyota.

Genuine Toyota T-IV and Mobil 3309 are the only OEM approved and licensed service fills for applications calling for T-IV specs. Toyota/Aisin does not have a fluid licensing program like GM, Ford and Chrysler do.

There are a number of fluids on the market that are recommended for use in T-IV applications. They are marketed under the "multi-vehicle" label, examples of which include Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF, Valvoline Maxlife ATF and Amsoil ATF. These fluids are not tested and approved by the OEM. Instead, they have been field tested extensively by their additive supplier, but they definitely do not go through the same amount of testing as the OEM approved fluid. Lubrizol, a major additive supplier, is a big proponent of multi-vehicle fluids. You can read their propaganda for multi-vehicle products here:

http://assets.2tmedia.com/pr/pdfs/17...sue_1_2008.pdf

On the other hand, the Society of Automtive Engineers (SAE) has a published paper which states that multi-vehicle fluids are not optimal, and that OEM approved service fills are the correct choice:

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2007-01-3987

You can read both and decide for yourself.
      Toyota?? I thought the TF-80 was a Ford transmission.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

No, built by Aisin. We have a better version than what's in the ford

As much as I hate citing Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_Seiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

No, built by Aisin. We have a better version than what's in the ford

As much as I hate citing Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_Seiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC
      TIL... Well thanks a lot for all the info!

How did you install a cooler on yours? The lines aren't just normal lines onto barb fittings. Did you do custom lines or use the existing lines somehow?
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

Trans -> Cooler -> Filter -> Return - See below \/

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...more&styleid=4

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      My sciatic pain says do everything to ameliorate shift prob before even pondering the m66 swap. Shifting the Rs is not pleasureable like shifting an s2000.
      Say what?

Both my M66 cars are awesome to shift.

To OP....it's probably cheaper to do the VB than manual swap. But if money isn't all the much a concern here.....M66. I've driven cars with the TF80. It's hot garbage.
      2005 V70R

2010 C30 R-Design

Or buy a broken R off craigslist, I've seen them go for less than a new OEM Vb.

Quote Originally Posted by Body Massage View Post
      Say what?

if you say so. I just got out of my NB Miata after lunch and my dumb opinion is the M66 I have is pathetic compared to the Miata and the S2K I've owned. Obvs that's not fair in terms of vehicle types, but...

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Body Massage View Post
      Say what?

if you say so. I just got out of my NB Miata after lunch and my dumb opinion is the M66 I have is pathetic compared to the Miata and the S2K I've owned. Obvs that's not fair in terms of vehicle types, but...
      I had a 6 speed in my NA that had a rebuilt shifter and I tend to agree.
      2006 S60R, 90k miles.
      Sonic Blue w/NordKap.

2005 S60R, 122k miles.
      Flash Green w/NordKap.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements