SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

SOLD: 2009 S60 2.5T AWD - White/Oak $6k

8K views 67 replies 20 participants last post by  3man 
#1 · (Edited)
Car is Sold, off to a new home :(

January 11
Car is back up for offers.

Full disclosure, I love this car but am looking at replacing it.

Car is in great shape, see previous posts.
Also timing belt, water pump, and extras done last month.

Transmission. Has a (small but noticeable) flare in the 3-4 shift.

Initially tried fluid exchanges.
Then had the B4 servo cover done.
Shifted better (probably mainly thanks to new fluid) but not perfect.

Just spent a few weeks in the shop having the 3 linear solenoids replaced and the valve body rebuilt. They have tried adjusting it 4 times and have made progress but can't make it go away.

I'm picking up the car January 13, and have until January 30 to either sell it or put it on a trailer for cross country move.

If I bail out, carmax will give me $2000-2500.

I'd love to not do that, but unless you want to do a manual swap or just swap out autos, be warned.

At this point, I'd love to get $4000 for it. Make me an offer.
Madison WI
The end of an 11+ year legacy is upon us.

Alright, short story long, I'm moving cross country soon (effectively Jan 31) and at home we've discussed offloading my car now instead of paying $$$$ to transport it to our new destination to then sell it in 6 months (we're already transporting the '72 164 and driving the wife's SUV).

This car is great, not perfect but does not look like a 10 year old car and is an attention getter, and still reliable and fun as hell, but honestly I'm at a point where I need/want more passenger & cargo room, and I want to get into either an adventure wagon ( large XC70 ) or an actual 4x4 vehicle with clearance as my other hobby is going deep into the wilderness.

So, I'm at the point where if I sell this, I need it gone by the end of January. I'm ready to revert it to stock and walk out of CarMax with a lowball check if it means a painless process (getting my initial offer tonight), but offering it here as it's been a great car and I'd rather an enthusiast keep it (and I'd like to not have to make it stock and then sell a bunch of parts)

The details:
2009 Volvo S60 2.5T awd
Ice White paint
Oak (beige?) interior w/ Aluminum accents
+ Advance Package
+ Climate Package
+ Active Bi-Xenon Headlamps

VIN # YV1RH592X92725733

Located in Madison Wisconsin

$6K but open to discussing offers

( I can remove things to lower price if needed but would prefer to give you the complete package )

Post here, message me here, or email me at 2009VolvoS602.5tawd at gmail and I'll try to respond asap.
-----------------------------------------

And now for details & history:

I bought it in 10/2013 as a 1 owner CPO with 26k miles from Barrier Volvo in Bellevue Washington State.
The car was a west coast car for 4 years, then 3 years in rural central Illinois, and currently in the 3rd year in southern Wisconsin. Always garaged, cleaned frequently year round (by hand or touch free washes).

At the moment I'm coming up on 112k miles (will go up as this is my daily)

Low pressure turbo, 2.5t awd (5 spd auto/shiftable geartronic) with bi-xenon ABL (HID lights that turn with the steering wheel), the advance package, so optional 17" Talos wheels, back up sensors, homelink, premium sound multi disc (HU850) w/ amp & 13 speakers, aluminum inlays, auto dimming mirror, rain sensing wipers, both front seats are power & heated, etc.

Yes, the awd works perfectly, I've been through some pretty crappy weather in the midwest and this car has always felt in control and firmly planted.

A few quick highlights (but will include all maintenance & gas mileage logs since first day of ownership in a spreadsheet and/or printed paper copy)
- New interstate battery (01/2018).
- Full Synthetic Oil at every change (3-7k miles per).
- Any work done at a shop I have the receipts (a few warranty issues early on), all other work documented and done at home (fluid changes, filters, rotations, maintenance, etc)
- 3 sets of floor mats: Original Carpet, OEM Volvo rubber all weather, & aftermarket heavy duty winter.

Modifications (light and tasteful in my opinion), almost all of which can be undone in a day if that would improve value to you:
- All of the windows are lightly tinted (except windshield), I don't recall exactly but believe it's 65% dark (35% light transmission).
- The stock stereo has a GROM usb/Bluetooth adapter for wireless integration (also has factory aux input).
- Phone mount installed (Pro Clip)
- Headlights & foglights are covered w/ lamin-x film, have been from the day I got it so they're in mint condition (easily removable as desired. Light blue on the headlights, yellow on the fog lights)
- The roof currently is wrapped in gloss black 3M vinyl, again, easily removable.
- Brembo rotors/ceramic pads, and calipers are painted burnt copper high temp paint (35k on brakes, still in great shape with tons of life left).
- The car is on stock Volvo suspension, but the rear springs have been replaced with S60R stock springs (this allows the car to sit flat, if you're at all aware of the typical high rear end on the P2 AWD S60's). I have (and can reinstall or include) the OEM higher rear springs if desired.
- Rally Armor urethane mudflaps on all 4 corners.
- 3" LED aux driving lights in the lower bumper opening.
- LED license plate lights
- LED front City lights
- Both top & bottom front grills have been replaced with black metal mesh.
- Black license plate frames/lightly tinted plate covers
- HELLA Sharptone horns (blue & yellow)
- Real carbon fiber front strut upper cross bar (from Eurosport Tuning)
- Rear strut upper cross bar in the trunk (IPD)
- Aluminum guard over the differential electronic module (IPD)
- Heavy duty aluminum skid plate under the motor (IPD).
- Metal guard under the front lip (helps keep the lip from catching on anything)
- IPD flush door lock pins
- Boost gauge (IPD) mounted in the gauge cluster surround (I have an OEM/unmodified surround if needed to replace this)
- Gauge background & engine plastics have been painted with Swedish theme.
- The front window pillars have been wrapped a plaid fabric that blends with the light interior.
- Debadged trunk except for "VOLVO" which is plastidipped black (removed the "S60 2.5T AWD" letters). I do have all the removed letters as well but no adhesive.
- Spoiler King trunk lip spoiler, black
- Curt Class 2 Trailer Hitch (1-1/4")
- Poly upper torque mount & lower transmission torque mounts (IPD)
- Shark Performance, Stage 1 tune bumps the power from 208 to 250 - their claim, I've not dynoed (tied to car, it's of no value for me to remove it)
- OEM Thule roof rack with one key system (can also discuss selling you the bike mount with matching lock)
- 10MM H&R wheel spacers & properly extended lugs.
- 2 sets of wheels both with newer tires & functioning TPMS:
- 17" Talos (OEM/factory option) with General G-Max tires (all seasons) 13,000 miles on these
- 17" Tethys painted Graphite with Firestone Winterforce (winters) 4,500 miles on these (will increase)
- OTE pipe is stock but wrapped in heat insulation tape (mostly cosmetic)
- Optional: I have T5 intercooler piping & IPD blue Silicone OTE pipe couplers new in box (was the next mod/install)
- And of course high quality, domed prancing moose badges, which are now a collector's item

Zero leaks.
Zero oil loss between oil changes.
Zero smoke or weird smells.
Car drives straight and handles great, no weird noises or feelings.
Everything is balanced well and is smooth (well except for the slight vibration from the Poly mounts at idle).
Pulls great

Zero VIDA issues except these 2 notes:
- Miss Matched ECM - Due to tune
- Headlamp washer circuit error - Only becasue I pulled the fuse for headlight washers since it goes through a ton of fluid and I keep the car clean

The "not great" or things to note:
- Timing belt is due, the kit is in the mail to me from FCP, and I was going to knock this out over Christmas break, still the plan unless a buyer wants a discount to do it themselves (I can include parts or return them).
- If you're around here enough, you may have seen my posts over the last 6 months, the car has developed the tiniest blip/flare when it shifts from 3-4, I had started fluid swaps and also had a shop replace the B4 servo cover along with a larger volume fluid swap, as well as had the dealer thoroughly investigate it, both shops say it is fine and they advise nothing, but I notice it so I'm disclosing this here. Next step was to have a specialty shop take a look.

- PCV was professionally checked last month and I was told it is functioning perfectly (recorde at -1 kpa) and there is no need to service it yet, so if I kept the car, I was going to hold off on that until next summer.

As a genuine condition assessment trying to be unbiased:
Interior 8/10.
- Drivers side seat outer bolster has a tiny bit of wear, primarily from the seat belt rubbing.
- Passenger seat has a blemish on the seat bottom, it isn't enough to impact the durability of the leather or even look bad, but it is a scratch and is noticeable in the leather.
- Aluminum trim interior is not perfect, a few minor dents in the soft metal (from previous owners).
- E-brake cover has a crack in the material, only notice if you look for it.
- A pillars were sagging, I wrapped them in cloth and after a few years of hot/cold, it is no longer 100% smooth. It's not a big deal and was on my list to redo in the summer.

Body/Paint 8/10.
- It's an all season driver, it has some tiny chips in the front bumper.
- The overall paint condition is great, it's due for another claybar and polish, was on schedule for next year.
- Tiny dent in driver's door under mirror (don't' even know how, I think a tire shop did it years ago).

Wheels 7/10.
- The rubber is great, it's new and balanced with no concerns.
- The OEM Talos wheels have noticeable rash from the previous owner, it's cosmetic and was on my list to fill & repaint, never got around to it.
- The winter Tethy's were ugly when I bought them and painted them myself, they're not going to win any awards but are great for their purpose. Tire shop had to remount tires numerous times (until they replace all 4 with new), so the lip is a little beat up from the shop, but as expected for the situation.

As I said, almost all of the modifications can be reversed fully and easily, and if they don't add value, I can remove them and sell them within the community to fund new parts for the new car, along with accessories/winter wheels. They're all tastefully done and all improve function, so perhaps they are of value to a fellow enthusiast, but I know how much I can sell them for off of the car, so I'm ready to do that if it's not an improvement on trade in price.

I just drove 1500 miles over thanksgiving and it performs flawlessly, I would have no problem driving this car across country in a heartbeat, in any weather, blazing hot or arctic frozen cold it's an absolute pleasure.

Currently located in Madison Wisconsin area.
Speaking of, I would entertain the idea of delivering this car in person anywhere in the lower 48 for the right price/buyer, or I am flexible enough to work with you if you wanted it on a transport.

This is my DD and my baby, miles will increase.
Lemme know any questions, I can answer and add info/pics. I'm sure I'm forgetting things.
Check out my Instagram if you want to see everything about this car from about day one ( @spiked_s60 )

For an extra price or the right price, I can also include a full kit of accessories to enhance the space & utility:
- Aluminum hitch basket (harbor freight) I used to haul a few bags of yard waste weekly to the recycling site this summer
- Thule XL roof box (the largest one available, bought new 7/2014 in Seattle)
- Rocky Mounts Pitch Fork bike mount. Lockable, same key as load bars (tight, but will fit next to giant Thule roof box for travel)

** Final note, I can't be out of this car until after December 23, as it's my primary mode of transportation. After that point I'll be able to drive a different car (trying to time everything for a move and several car sales is insane, then add to it the holiday season) **

( Also will be selling a wore out 2003 Honda CRV awd if you're interested )
:D

I have thousands of photos and can take more of anything specific if so desired.

Again.
$6K but open to discussing offers
Post here, message me here, or email me at 2009VolvoS602.5tawd at gmail and I'll try to respond asap.

**************************************************************************************************
Edited to add info I forgot:

Title in hand.
Both switchblade keys included.
All owners manuals and the fabric book from new.

Every fuel up since I bought it (through 12/12/19)
- 4017 gallons (91-93 octane, highest available)
- 84286 miles
- Total average (close to 50/50 city and highway) 21.2 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/s60/2009/spiked60/239571

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are some of the newer pictures

#7 ·
Got my quote from CarMax, ooooof.

That's the number to beat.

Would love to keep this in the Family

#8 ·
Sad to see you parting with her, not I think you're asking a very fair price for how clean sheets is and what you're including in the sale. Quite a steal really! Other than Shamak's S60, I don't believe I've seen a cleaner example of one that still looks pretty stock on the outside. And you have the last model year of the P2 S60 with all the best and latest goodies. And from reading your posts on here and following on IG, I know how well you keep her. Best of luck on the sale. If I had the means for another and was local, I'd replace mine with her in a heartbeat if I could. Curious where your move is taking you to.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Thanks!

We're headed back to the PNW, Washington state specifically.

And I'll deliver the car [emoji6]

#10 ·
I don't want to beat around the bush. This car is in great shape but the 3-4 shift is not perfect.

Here's a random video on the way to work this morning:

Here are 3 other short videos I made to try and show the shop what the hell I'm talking about:

I wouldn't hide this from a seller so let's lay it out here to not waste anyone's time.* It drives fine, it drives great, but this does exist.

My asking price was definitely meant to be a starting point with a "best offer" expectations.
Happy Friday the 13th
:)

#13 ·
As stupid as this may sound, try a bottle of RED Lube Guard in your tranny. I am not a fan of additives! But this one is not snake oil. It actually works in lots of cases where shift solenoids become lazy. And the friction modifiers in it may help in your case. I am a believer in this stuff. It will not cause any harm in any way. I add a bottle on every 30thousand mile flush I perform on my trans. Cost is about 12 bucks.

#11 ·
I think I have seen more pictures of your car on on IG then I have of any other LOL. I say keep it and keep on driving it.

#12 ·
I don't disagree with that, it's just an additional expense to move if I plan on selling in the next year anyway.

But, we'll see what pans out, if any interest exists. I'm sure as hell not giving it to CarMax to send to wholesale lol

#16 ·
Unless something major changes I'm shutting this down, makes more sense to keep it a few more years.

#17 ·
If the trans is bugging out, try this since you have an Aw55.

External cooler - Used Xc90 works perfect (Towing package)
Drain an fill (atleast 3x in on shot, you need to make sure it's clear, one drain never does it)
In-line filter to catch all the debris on the fluid

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...in-IC-XC90-Cooler-Snabb-Spacers-amp-Tons-more

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?586559-External-Cooler-for-TF80-or-AW55

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?436233-XC90-Trans-Cooler-Retrofit-Guide

#18 ·
I appreciate the ideas.

I did a single drain and fill, and then soon after the shop did a more complete drain fill (10+ qts) when they did the b4 servo cover.
If anything it's continued to get more pronounced.

Parts are at the shop and I'm dropping it off for an appointment tomorrow morning, linear solenoids and trans shift kit (believe to rebuild the valve body)

I've never had transmission warnings or signs of it over heating, so I'm hoping this resolves the concerns and I can get 2-4 more years in this car.

*not actively trying to sell the car, but timing belt service was done last week around 112,480 mile
(timing belt, tensioner, idler pully, water pump, and aux belt and tensioner)

#20 ·
I appreciate the ideas.

I did a single drain and fill, and then soon after the shop did a more complete drain fill (10+ qts) when they did the b4 servo cover.
If anything it's continued to get more pronounced.

Parts are at the shop and I'm dropping it off for an appointment tomorrow morning, linear solenoids and trans shift kit (believe to rebuild the valve body)

I've never had transmission warnings or signs of it over heating, so I'm hoping this resolves the concerns and I can get 2-4 more years in this car.

*not actively trying to sell the car, but timing belt service was done last week around 112,480 mile
(timing belt, tensioner, idler pully, water pump, and aux belt and tensioner)
I haven't either, the trans won't throw codes it will just act up. The problem is with the VB, even though the AW55's have an issue with going into neutral too much which was fixed with a software update. The solenoids in the VB get gunked up with debris which is why shifts hold/flare. Anyway's hope this helps, always love seeing people keep their Volvo's!

Cost wise it almost never makes sense to get rid of a good, especially if the issues are addressable (With in a reasonable cost of course)

#19 ·
The trans cooler is something that I need to do myself on mine. I can't confirm if it actually overheats itself or what's transpiring. But if the car gets up to thermostat opening and fan kicking on temperature, my trans starts shifting really terrible. Usually this will occur in traffic. Once everything cools down, it settles down and shifts fine again. There's definitely some sort of heat transfer or heat soak going on from the cooling system to the trans fluid system. My fear is that the coolant and trans fluid are mixing inside of the radiator, though I'm not seeing trans fluid in the coolant reservoir and my trans dip stick doesn't seem to indicate watered down fluid...

#21 ·
All hallmark signs of heat affecting the transmission. Keep in mind, throwing on an external cooler is preventive as well because you're now deleting the radiator cooler and separating the systems so there is no chance of contamination. The sooner the better!

#23 · (Edited)
Most definitely! I need to read through the provided links above, but don't most keep the stock cooler still connected? I never got why you'd need to, but most additions of an external and the people kept the stock inline as well...

No way, I would not use it for three reasons.

1. The obvious risk of coolant contamination
2. Required more pressure to go through two coolers instead of one, no reason to
3. I'm sure the effect on temp from a second cooler is negligible at best.

Plus route the extra lines and do a flush would be even more of pain. All the R owners I know never keep the stock cooler and it leaves more access room to get to the IC couplers if DS side pops off :D

#24 ·
No way, I would not use it for three reasons.

1. The obvious risk of coolant contamination
2. Required more pressure to go through two coolers instead of one, no reason to
3. I'm sure the effect on temp from a second cooler is negligible at best.

Plus route the extra lines and do a flush would be even more of pain. All the R owners I know never keep the stock cooler and it leaves more access room to get to the IC couplers if DS side pops off :D
I just read through both links you provided. I think the XC cooler is the ticket! Is it easier or more difficult to mount on a non R S60? Reading how the stock cooler is actually a heater, does eliminating it affect the warm up of the trans and fluid, or world it be about the same say in So Cal climate? We do have occasional mornings in the low to mid 30s, but that only lasts a few mornings. Fortunately I do already have a spare trans cooler line, but gotta verify if it has the correct bend angle. Also how doable is draining fluid from the new cooler connections location rather than having to undo the barb connections?

#25 · (Edited)
Car is back up for offers.

Full disclosure, I love this car but am looking at replacing it.

Car is in great shape, see previous posts.
Also timing belt, water pump, and extras done last month.

Transmission. Has a (small but noticeable) flare in the 3-4 shift.

Initially tried fluid exchanges.
Then had the B4 servo cover done.
Shifted better (probably mainly thanks to new fluid) but not perfect.

Just spent a few weeks in the shop having the 3 linear solenoids replaced and the valve body rebuilt. They have tried adjusting it 4 times and have made progress but can't make it go away.

I'm picking up the car January 13, and have until January 30 to either sell it or put it on a trailer for cross country move.

If I bail out, carmax will give me $2000-2500.

I'd love to not do that, but unless you want to do a manual swap or just swap out autos, be warned.

At this point, I'd love to get $4000 for it. Make me an offer.
Madison WI

#28 ·
I'm about to turn 40 and my weekends are full of running and exploring, I just don't have the time to take that project on lol.
It pains me to pass this car on, I absolutely love it still.

#29 ·
#31 ·
My level of ****s given is dropping.
Officially I am hoping for 4k.

Trying one more thing this weekend but not dumping any more $ into this (rather put that towards my next vehicle), 2 weeks until CarMax becomes a very real solution (stripped of anything extra)

I feel the car has 12-24 more months before this gets bad enough to even throw a code, I'm just hyper aware and not trying to pull a fast one on anyone in the community

#33 ·
Ashame you aren't near Md or NC. The car looks like it's been lived and should have a better date than a car auction.

2010 xc90 3.2 | 2017 Prius V Five
Funny, I just flew to Myrtle Beach last month to pick up a SUV from family for the wife and drive it home, that's a bit of a drive but not bad.

And I guarantee this cars more comfy than an Acura lol

:D

#35 ·
Q: How many cases of New Glarus "Stone Soup" is $4k?

A: Not that many! [emoji41] [emoji481]

Somebody buy and swap this motherforker!
I'm a transplant, I like new Glarus as a concept, don't like the brew though [emoji6]

FYI, Sandberg Auto up in twin cities area has a tested good tranny with 90 day warranty. $300 + shipping.

But it was decided to not keep pumping money into it since my lifestyle is leading towards a bigger wagon.

A grand in work now and a grand transportating it to Seattle to sell in a month? Just not worth it, painful as it is

#37 ·
Hmm, haven't seen their ipa, I'll see if I can in the next few weeks.

I'll be down in Chicago saying hi/bye to a few friends this Saturday for a bit on the rare occasion anyone there wants to see it lol

#38 · (Edited)
Yeah, Spotted Cow is what they’re known for and is a fine farmhouse ale, but some of their others are much better, imho. If you’re not a beer drinker, then I wouldn’t make a huge effort to track it down. However, based on your location in your ad, you should have no trouble locating anything New Glarus.

If the weather forecasters are right, we’re due for some “winters mix” tonight into tomorrow morning. Depending on when you’re driving, and if they’ve salted, you may experience some tough driving conditions.

Not actually in the market for anything right now, but maybe someone else. I’d offer to meet for SS photo/coffee/drink but I’m working on Saturday night. Safe travels!

#41 ·
Yeah, Spotted Cow is what they're known for and is a fine farmhouse ale, but some of their others are much better, imho. If you're not a beer drinker, then I wouldn't make a huge effort to track it down. However, based on your location in your ad, you should have no trouble locating anything New Glarus.
A couple years ago one of the guys I was teaching sailing with invited a few of us out to his family's cottage in Oconomowoc. He's like we got some boats and a fridge full of Wisconsin craft beer. I was just there for the MC Scow because boats that insane just don't work on the ocean (well ok not really...getting to go on a 3k mile road trip with my friends for a week was pretty great too) but then it turned out there were two fridges full of Wisconsin craft beer so we had our work cut out for us lol. The Staghorn was my favourite.

#39 ·
General people.

I know I'm selling my car but if you haven't driven an AWD car with winter tires in the winter, it's really fun. Sh*tty weather is sh*tty no matter what, and momentum is more powerful than ABS or AWD, no denying that.

But, this AWD system + all the (annoying but functional) traction control systems + these tires makes for a pretty enjoyable drive regardless of the weather.

:)

#40 ·
Sale Pending, perhaps a new home & owner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.