Door Latch Recall
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Door Latch Recall

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...cc-v60cc.shtml

A Volvo door latch recall has been issued for nearly 145,000 model year 2011-2017 Volvo S60, S60I, V60, S60CC and Volvo V60CC vehicles.

The automaker says a component within the door latch may break and give people a tough time when trying to latch the doors. Occupants may believe the doors are secured properly when they aren't, leaving open the possibility of a door opening while driving.

According to Volvo, a latch can weaken and the retention hook for the pawl spring in the door latch may break off if the vehicle is exposed to hot climates. The automaker says simply opening a door can cause a latch fracture.Customers may notice problems when trying to close the doors and may see warning lights indicating the doors are ajar.

The Volvo door latch recall is scheduled to begin January 4, 2020. Volvo dealerships will replace all four door latches.Model year 2011-2017 Volvo S60, S60I, V60, S60CC and Volvo V60CC owners may call Volvo at 800-458-1552 and refer to recall number R89978.
      https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/V...SW/FWD#recalls

November 26, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V849000
      Doors may Unexpectedly Open
      A door that is not securely latched could open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of injury to a vehicle occupant.

Manufacturer Volvo Car USA LLC
      Components LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES
      Potential Number of Units Affected 144,937
      Summary
      Volvo Car of USA LLC (Volvo) is recalling certain 2011-2017 S60, S60I, V60, S60CC and V60CC vehicles. A component within the door latches may break, making the doors difficult to latch and/or leading the driver or a passenger to believe a door is securely closed when, in fact, it is not.
      Remedy
      Volvo will notify owners, and dealers will replace all four door latches, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 4, 2020. Owners may contact Volvo customer service at 1-800-458-1552. Volvo's number for this recall is R89978.
      https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/add...ll-information

This came out on 11/26, but I was notified on my Gas Buddy app today and the carcomplaints.com post was put up yesterday. So even though my VIN isn't currently showing as affected on the Volvo or NHTSA site, but I will be checking again in a couple months just in case they are still updating the system.

UPDATE: As of 12/17/19, the Volvo and NHTSA site are not up to date on which VINs are affected. When people start posting that the recall is showing up on that site, I will update again.
      Last edited by meade18; 12-17-2019 at 02:46 PM.
      2015.5 Volvo V60 Premier T5 FWD (with a new engine)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm going to call my dealer next week and have them take care of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
      2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

Thank you for posting this.
      My VIN did not show any recalls on the Volvo Recall site mentioned above.
      I already replaced the two rear lock mechanisms because they fail to lock or unlock.
      Would be interesting to see if I get a letter in the next few months. I will not be holding my breath.

By the way, I tried to disassemble them to look inside but had to break them open. In any case, they are crazy complicated inside with all kinds of small parts and springs.
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by emgrock1 View Post
      I'm going to call my dealer next week and have them take care of it.

Did either of those sites say that your VIN is once of the recalled cars?

Quote Originally Posted by meade18 View Post
      Did either of those sites say that your VIN is once of the recalled cars?
      Didn't put my VIN in. I'll have the dealer verify prior to taking it in.

2015 V60 R-Design - Onyx Black Metallic / Off Black
      2004 Mazda 6s Touring - 3.0 V6 / Manual
      2008 Suzuki SV650 - Pearl Novelty Black
      2002 SVT Focus Turbo - Dead and gone

I took a quick look into this to see if my VIN is listed, its not listed at either the Volvo Recall Information site or NHTSA Recall Information site, but I did find this on an NHTSA page which lists the VIN ranges on Page 1 of the pdf and it does indeed cover my car, hopefully others may find this useful?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V849-2291.PDF

It looks like everything made before 2016 Wk 47 is affected.
      2016 V60 T6 AWD R-Design POLESTAR

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post
      I took a quick look into this to see if my VIN is listed, its not listed at either the Volvo Recall Information site or NHTSA Recall Information site, but I did find this on an NHTSA page which lists the VIN ranges on Page 1 of the pdf and it does indeed cover my car, hopefully others may find this useful?

Thanks. I think mine falls in VIN range 2.

I've seen a few cars already with this recall listed as open, so I believe Volvo's system is up to date. Parts are not available yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by PostmanPat View Post

Perhaps, but my MY2012 built in 08/2011 is coming up with no recalls.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

nothing for my 2011 T6 either... can't remember build date
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

My MY2013 built in 06/2012 is coming up as not under recall.
      2002 V70 T5a 190k RTI/Hilton Stage 1/336mm brakes/Bilstein B8s/H&R springs
      2002 V70 NA 274k HU-803/T5 suspension/305mm brakes
      2003 V70 T5m 250k Hilton Stage 2/Delrin subframe bushings/R front sway bar/R manifold/Jetex catback/Re-Volv DP/Simota CCI
      2013 S60 T6 R-Design 68k IPD RSB

Curious that the NHTSA link said: Number of potentially involved : 144,937 and Estimated percentage with defect : 100 % yet several VINs show no recalls. Could it be something like some handle colors came from a different supplier than other colors and not all colors have the defect?

My VIN shows no recalls on the Volvo Canada site but the recall might not even happen here where we don't get summer heat like parts of the USA.
      2015 V60 T6 AWD Sport Suspension, ipd rear sway bar, 19 inch Bor wheels, Polestar Optimization, Premium Plus, Silver
      Previous: 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon, 1989 MX-6 GT 4WS, 1979 GS-1000E

Quote Originally Posted by JMarkias View Post
      Curious that the NHTSA link said: Number of potentially involved : 144,937 and Estimated percentage with defect : 100 % yet several VINs show no recalls. Could it be something like some handle colors came from a different supplier than other colors and not all colors have the defect?
      Much more likely that the NHTSA website is behind in its updating and the VIN lookup tool is lagging slightly behind the actual issuance of the recall.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by JMarkias View Post

My VIN shows no recalls on the Volvo Canada site but the recall might not even happen here where we don't get summer heat like parts of the USA.
      It isn't the handles that are replaced, so color doesn't matter. I also don't know if Canada will get the recall. The bulletin from Volvo reads "A total of 145,072 U.S. vehicles are eligible for this recall."

What, actually, are they replacing in this recall?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      What, actually, are they replacing in this recall?

All four door latches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      All four door latches.
      Wow. That's an expensive recall. Each one of those puppies is about $200 retail plus labor.

If it's a defect that occurs in hot climates maybe they won't recall cars in Canada. Those of us in Phoenix, on the other hand, will be paying close attention to this.

For those wondering why their car isn't showing up on either NHTSA's or Volvo's active recall register for this particular recall or why they have yet to be notified of it by Volvo the answer may be that the recall has yet to be initiated. Dealers themselves may already have been notified in some fashion.

As per the original posting:

" The Volvo door latch recall is scheduled to begin January 4, 2020. Volvo dealerships will replace all four door latches.

Model year 2011-2017 Volvo S60, S60I, V60, S60CC and Volvo V60CC owners may call Volvo at 800-458-1552 and refer to recall number R89978."
      2012 S60 T5

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tom View Post
      For those wondering why their car isn't showing up on either NHTSA's or Volvo's active recall register for this particular recall or why they have yet to be notified of it by Volvo the answer may be that the recall has yet to be initiated. Dealers themselves may already have been notified in some fashion.

As per the original posting:

" The Volvo door latch recall is scheduled to begin January 4, 2020. Volvo dealerships will replace all four door latches.

Model year 2011-2017 Volvo S60, S60I, V60, S60CC and Volvo V60CC owners may call Volvo at 800-458-1552 and refer to recall number R89978."
      Right. Like I said, we check for open recalls on all cars that come in. I've seen a few with this showing up as open. But parts information is not available yet so there isn't anything we can do.

This is interesting. My drivers side door pops open all the time but only when it’s really cold like below freezing. I really have to slam the door hard to keep it closed. It usually will pop open when backing out of the driveway I guess when the body flexes. Doesn’t do it any other time though.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Right. Like I said, we check for open recalls on all cars that come in. I've seen a few with this showing up as open. But parts information is not available yet so there isn't anything we can do.
      So is Volvo addressing this issue at time of service or waiting until January 4, 2020 to take action?

Is the Vin list Comprehensive. VIN Range 2 :Begin :YV1FW485BC1063497 End :YV140MEK2H1357831

Mine is YV140MFK but I have a 15.5 FWD. So I presume I am not affected?

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      So is Volvo addressing this issue at time of service or waiting until January 4, 2020 to take action?

Is the Vin list Comprehensive. VIN Range 2 :Begin :YV1FW485BC1063497 End :YV140MEK2H1357831

Mine is YV140MFK but I have a 15.5 FWD. So I presume I am not affected?
      Right now we can't do anything at time of service. I assume notices will go out around January 4th and parts will be available then.

I have no idea if the VIN list is 100% accurate. That isn't what we use. Your car does have the recall open, but the system the Volvo website uses to allow people to check for recalls themselves does not show it yet.
      Last edited by Tech; 12-14-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Right now we can't do anything at time of service. I assume notices will go out around January 4th and parts will be available then.

I have no idea if the VIN list is 100% accurate. That isn't what we use. Your car does have the recall open, but the system the Volvo website uses to allow people to check for recalls themselves does not show it yet.

Scheduled my 60K service. Received this in the email reminding me of my upcoming service visit.

PERFORM RECALL R89978 FOR DOOR LATCHES.

Guess this dealer is doing them or got parts?

I presume all the door panels have to come off in order for the latches to be changed, correct?

Yes, all door panels have to come out
      There is an inner and outer panel. Both come out. The latch is attached to the inner panel. So are the window motor and regulator. It really is brilliant how it's done.
      Don't worry about any rattles or squeaks being introduced. It goes back exactly the same way it came off. Not much chance of messing things up with the panel.

Door panels have to come off? Guess I won't be having this recall done while I own the car. That's begging for damage/scratches/etc. to the panel.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T-5R

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post

Scheduled my 60K service. Received this in the email reminding me of my upcoming service visit.

Guess this dealer is doing them or got parts?

I presume all the door panels have to come off in order for the latches to be changed, correct?
      No, they don't have parts and won't be doing it. I had three cars where the line was added for the recall. It shows up in Volvo's system but appointment centers or scheduling software does not know parts are not available.

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      Door panels have to come off? Guess I won't be having this recall done while I own the car. That's begging for damage/scratches/etc. to the panel.
      No it isn't. They come off very easy.

No, they don't have parts and won't be doing it. I had three cars where the line was added for the recall. It shows up in Volvo's system but appointment centers or scheduling software does not know parts are not available.

No it isn't. They come off very easy.
      Bah. I was hoping they'd remove the panels. I have a Dent needing knocked out in the door jam. If panel is removed, then it's easy to get to. Wonder if they'll pass this repair off until the recall when panel has to be removed. Since I have the Appearance Package Ultimate.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-15-2019 at 09:56 AM.

I think I'm going to forego this recall. I don't want the monkeys at my dealer taking all four doors apart to fix something that isn't broken and introduce a bunch of rattles.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      I think I'm going to forego this recall. I don't want the monkeys at my dealer taking all four doors apart to fix something that isn't broken and introduce a bunch of rattles.
      You of all people should know how easily the door panels come off. But of course you take any opportunity to dump on anything dealer related.

Having done this, I agree with Tech. The way the panels are made and the way they come out, this should not be an issue at all.
      If I get the recall notice I will surely take it in and will not be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Go to a dealer who you like to do the work. And don't let the "moneys" at the dealer you don't handle the job. Pretty simple.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-15-2019 at 11:42 PM.

He doesn't like any dealer. His shop has the only good "monkeys" in the US.

No that's not true. Just that the only good dealers are 4 hours away.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

You of all people should know how easily the door panels come off. But of course you take any opportunity to dump on anything dealer related.
      They will come off just fine, going on without rattles is another story. Most dealers could figure it out but this one here will always find a way to muck it up.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2006 Passion Red S60R

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast