Trading in 2016 XC90 for a 2018 XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hi my dear wise friends, so I bought a cpo 2016 xc90 and in a less than 3 months owning it had some repairs done to it, brakes, oil gasket leak, door not opening had to replace the electric motor lock, and other smaller issues like the vent thingy falling out and of course some noise while driving, rattling here and there. Mind you that my vin gas no recalls on it, it was built in late April 2016 and engine number is not in the affected range for pistons.
      Now I complained to the GM and he offered to trade it back in and getting the 2018 instead. He will buy me out of this car with a bit of acquittal for me and I will buy the 2018 from scratch but for very discounted price. I end up losing money but 2018 had only 21k miles as opposed to 2016 with 41k.
      I just don’t know what to do and would love to hear opinions, I added P* and I will be losing that 😞

Again 2016 Xc90 P* 41k miles fully loaded with safety features for 2018 xc90 21k miles similar features but no P* .

I just don’t feel confident in my 2016 anymore but also don’t want to make a rush decision.

Thank you my dears

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They're pretty much the same and prone to the same SPA car issues.

I see these cars everyday, and while they are very luxurious they aren't volvos of the past. Little things are breaking all the time, not so much deadly engine stuff, but lots of other tech. The start/stop system is not really optimally designed on ALL models, frequent fuel pressure sensor issues, 02 sensors, thermostats. I haven't seen pistons on a SPA car yet but several P3 early Drive-E cars.

I want to like these cars, but I'd be scared to own one out of warranty or CPO. I can't really fault Volvo, they went from making cars with bare bones technology to LOADED with Merc level tech in just one generation.

With all that said, 2016 is easily the worst model to own.
      Last edited by LukeFlynn; 12-13-2019 at 09:59 PM.
      '09 S40 2.4i
      '04 XC70 2.5T
      '04 S60R M66

^An individual experience may be different for a specific VIN. But, there is no need to cast inaccurate dispersions and over-generalizations to taint the whole. ^

There were over 95K MY16 XC90s built as production cars. If owners/lessors were having their vehicles professionally and routinely maintained and updated by competent and certified Volvo Service Centers, a used MY16 would be a fine vehicle for a second, third, fourth owner.

I love my MY16 T8 and I own it and maintain itwith routine professional maintenance and Volvo parts. Sure there are maintenance and occasional warranty items, but Volvo has stood behind it every time.

Volvo, like many other respectful OEMs, address those with continuous improvement, software updates and training.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      ^An individual experience may be different for a specific VIN. But, there is no need to cast inaccurate dispersions and over-generalizations to taint the whole. ^

There were over 95K MY16 XC90s built as production cars. If owners/lessors were having their vehicles professionally and routinely maintained and updated by competent and certified Volvo Service Centers, a used MY16 would be a fine vehicle for a second, third, fourth owner.

I love my MY16 T8 and I own it and maintain itwith routine professional maintenance and Volvo parts. Sure there are maintenance and occasional warranty items, but Volvo has stood behind it every time.

Volvo, like many other respectful OEMs, address those with continuous improvement, software updates and training.
      Well said!
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by sollsken View Post
      Hi my dear wise friends, so I bought a cpo 2016 xc90 and in a less than 3 months owning it had some repairs done to it, brakes, oil gasket leak, door not opening had to replace the electric motor lock, and other smaller issues like the vent thingy falling out and of course some noise while driving, rattling here and there. Mind you that my vin gas no recalls on it, it was built in late April 2016 and engine number is not in the affected range for pistons.
      Now I complained to the GM and he offered to trade it back in and getting the 2018 instead. He will buy me out of this car with a bit of acquittal for me and I will buy the 2018 from scratch but for very discounted price. I end up losing money but 2018 had only 21k miles as opposed to 2016 with 41k.
      I just donít know what to do and would love to hear opinions, I added P* and I will be losing that 😞

Again 2016 Xc90 P* 41k miles fully loaded with safety features for 2018 xc90 21k miles similar features but no P* .

I just donít feel confident in my 2016 anymore but also donít want to make a rush decision.

Thank you my dears
      Sounds pretty fair. You're outside Lemon Law and your only recourse would be to Ask Volvo Corporate for a trade assist or keep having problems fixed under warranty. Seems dealer is offering you a trade deal. Don't know specifics, but if you don't like the 2016 XC90, then upgrading might be a better option.

Is the 2018 a CPO, too? Do remember, the old CPO (depending on when the 2016 was certified) went from 7yrs / 100K --> 5 yrs /unlimited miles.

I only mention this because if the 2016 had the old CPO attached, then you'll lose that in favor of new CPO.

It is nice to be able to pay some money for better peace in mind. Looks ike you have hard time to trust the current car. MY2018 cars in general is improved significantly.

As said above, CPO warranty is different on MY2018. You can extend CPO warranty to 8 or 10yr unlimited miles for about $2k+ but it is again some cost for you. You can ask if the dealer could give you some discount.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I agree 100% with the fact that MY 2016 T8 is much more reliable than T6 🙂
      I have a 5 year CPO on it but purchased extended warranty also, which if I chose to buy 2018 CPO I can transfer to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post

I'm not trying to disrespect this particular year, model, or Volvo for that matter. I can say that I personally have seen many more 16 XC90s with common issues compared to later model years. I should've prefaced I am referring to the T6 and T5, not the T8. There are plenty of people who have been victim of the issues I listed. The OP asked if he should trade it, and I would say yes to a newer model.
      '09 S40 2.4i
      '04 XC70 2.5T
      '04 S60R M66

Shouldnít be the fact that the 2016 XC90s are (obviously) older than the 2018 XC90s part of the reason why the 2016s are having more issues than 2018s? Wouldnít the 2016ís issues show up when the 2018ís gets 4 years of use?

If taking the plunge I would try to find a 19 CPO. The improved speed of the touch screen and ability to turn off start/stop forever are both big pluses for me. I wouldn't want to own any car outside of warranty these days, it's not just a Volvo thing. At the same time, even a pricey repair bill is less than a few months of payments. I just like warranties because then I look forward to the techs finding stuff and fixing it to make my car ride and drive like new without my wallet getting emptied.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

I just donít know what to do and would love to hear opinions, I added P* and I will be losing that 😞

I just donít feel confident in my 2016 anymore but also donít want to make a rush decision.

Thank you my dears

Tell GM you will do the deal - only if he removes P* from your 16 and puts it on the 18. I would think that is entirely possible. All he can say is no!
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

So guys, I got carfax on the 2018 CPO and it says damage to the rear reported, so the carfax isn’t clean. I guess damage doesn’t equal accident but is it still bad? Also if it got certified it must be fine right? Please let me know what think!

So guys, I got carfax on the 2018 CPO and it says damage to the rear reported, so the carfax isnít clean. I guess damage doesnít equal accident but is it still bad? Also if it got certified it must be fine right? Please let me know what think!
      If damage is only on the plastic bumper cover then it is nothing. If the rear body and frame is impacted then it is big thing. But I doubt it can still be certified if so.

[/QUOTE]If damage is only on the plastic bumper cover then it is nothing. If the rear body and frame is impacted then it is big thing. But I doubt it can still be certified if so.

That’s what I am thinking, no way would it be a CPO if there is body or frame damage. I like this car a lot and that’s the only thing stopping me from having it, I wish I had no doubts.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

If damage is only on the plastic bumper cover then it is nothing. If the rear body and frame is impacted then it is big thing. But I doubt it can still be certified if so.

Thatís what I am thinking, no way would it be a CPO if there is body or frame damage. I like this car a lot and thatís the only thing stopping me from having it, I wish I had no doubts.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
      According to the Volvo website, the vehicle history report is used to screen for frame and structural damage. I do not think that damage to a lift gate or fender would qualify as structural.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

So guys, I got carfax on the 2018 CPO and it says damage to the rear reported, so the carfax isnít clean. I guess damage doesnít equal accident but is it still bad? Also if it got certified it must be fine right? Please let me know what think!
      Couple Suggestions:

If the body shop is listed on the CarFax, give them a call, and ask for the work order. Or a description of what was repaired.

If you cant find the body shop, call the local police department and find if there was an accident report on the vehicle.

Having this benefits you in two ways. If there is damage, and it was merely a bumper cover, having proof would boost future resale value. Because you can show the vehicle didn't suffer any major damage. Otherwise, someone reads the car fax, and wonders the extent of damage.

I'd pick 2018 over 2016 in a heartbeat, if all else is equal. First year models tend to be lemons by definition (apologies to all 2016 owners who happened to be lucky.)
      2018 Onyx Black T6 Momentum: Amber, 20" wheels

^ @stick_shift

You and I just cancel each other out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

I tried calling Volvo of Santa Monica (That’s where the 2018 came from) to get more info and of course no one agreed to talk to me 🏼
      The only thing stopping me is damage to the rear on 2018 and my salesman is telling me to not get a car with not clean carfax. Soooo... I guess I have to wait for the next one that meets my needs and not too much of a financial hit for me. Thank you guys for keeping an eye out for this thread. I will be back soon for more advice, once I find the car I like

I tried calling Volvo of Santa Monica (Thatís where the 2018 came from) to get more info and of course no one agreed to talk to me 🏼
      The only thing stopping me is damage to the rear on 2018 and my salesman is telling me to not get a car with not clean carfax. Soooo... I guess I have to wait for the next one that meets my needs and not too much of a financial hit for me. Thank you guys for keeping an eye out for this thread. I will be back soon for more advice, once I find the car I like
      Try calling the Santa Monica Police Department and ask for a copy of the accident report. Should be public record. Could give you an idea of what happened to the vehicle if still interested.

Hi guys I am back 🙂 so having more troubles with my 2016 T6 😞
      What do you guys think about 2016 T8 ( 40k miles) ? More reliable than T6?
      I have this option or a 2017 momentum plus with bowers and Wilkins. (26k miles)
      I am just trying to stay in a bracket financially since I will have to be trading in my current car.
      Thank you!
      Last edited by sollsken; 01-09-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comp1 View Post
      Tell GM you will do the deal - only if he removes P* from your 16 and puts it on the 18. I would think that is entirely possible. All he can say is no!
      It is a cost to the dealer, as Volvo will not refund the P* tune after 30 days.

Hi guys I am back 🙂 so having more troubles with my 2016 T6 😞
      What do you guys think about 2016 T8 ( 40k miles) ? More reliable than T6?
      I have this option or a 2017 momentum plus with bowers and Wilkins. (26k miles)
      I am just trying to stay in a bracket financially since I will have to be trading in my current car.
      Thank you!
      There are hybrid power train parts on T8 so reliability is not as good as T6 theoretically. For example, a hybrid coolant thermostat has been replaced by service action to new parts. A high-voltage coolant heater is reported to need replacement for some people. A few rare cases of charging module, ERAD motor replacement are also reported here. But if within warranty, no need to worry.
      So it is not much different from T6 in reality.

Of course I like T8 a lot and T8 CPO price is not that much more than T6 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post

A car can be certified as long as body impact has not resulted in structural damage or affected safety equipment.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by stick_shift View Post
      I'd pick 2018 over 2016 in a heartbeat, if all else is equal. First year models tend to be lemons by definition (apologies to all 2016 owners who happened to be lucky.)
      Ummm...see my signature? Sorry my 2001 V70 T5 (1st year for that car, brand new chassis, etc) is still kicking butt at 178,000 miles, original engine, original turbo, original clutch, just got its 3rd battery over its lifespan, rear brake rotors replaced at 100,000 miles...Perhaps, it has lost a tenth or two of a second from its original 0-60 but still pulls like a wild horse.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Ummm...see my signature? Sorry my 2001 V70 T5 (1st year for that car, brand new chassis, etc) is still kicking butt at 178,000 miles, original engine, original turbo, original clutch, just got its 3rd battery over its lifespan, rear brake rotors replaced at 100,000 miles...Perhaps, it has lost a tenth or two of a second from its original 0-60 but still pulls like a wild horse.
      +1

Also, out of the ~ 95K MY16 XC90s, I suspect there are tens of thousands well-maintained and well-running MY16 XC90s. Depending on oneís budget, options, needs and wants, et al., MY16s are a great used car choice.

Not selling my T8 anytime soon, but I will sure be looking at the BEV version once it is out in production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wouldn't buy a car with damage on a car fax unless it was for a very good deal and I was going to keep it for a very long time. It just has too much affect on trade in and resale value. Now, if you plan to keep it for 10 years and you are saving a few grand in doing so, it can be a great deal for you... but most folks don't keep a car long enough to overcome to deprecation of the damage.

As for polestar... all removing it from the trade would do is to make your current XC90 worth less..... you can not simply swap it to another car.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements