Frustrated by XC60 highway vibrations - Is it normal? - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Greetings,

I just registered because I’m frustrated by this issue as well. First cars at my home were two 240DLs that ran beautifully and just refused to die, so I was expecting the same quality. Anyway, Here is my journey:

Initially bought an S60 T5M FWD that had a very annoying vibration issue above 60 mph to the point of my knees being sore after my daily commute. Took the car in 4 times; they replaced one wheel and three tires that did not pass the road balance test only for the issue to reappear a few miles later.

During this time I had a few loaners (2 S60’s, 2 XC60s, ...) 3/4 had the problem. Had the Service Manager drive with me who noted the issue. Escalated to the “Engineer”. Even the GM took my car home to test it. After multiple failed attempts they decided to trade it in for an XC60 loaner T5M FWD, 20” wheels (the only one I drove that had no vibration).

One month later the issue starts with the XC60! They replaced two tires. No luck. Took it to the best tire shop I could find in the ATL area (Road force+ in car road force). They mitigated the issue significantly (Vibration started above 75 now) but at the end they figured it must not be just the tires.

It’s frustrating because now I’m stuck with an expensive car that rides worse than a Hyundai Tucson rental I drove on a recent vacation (and with better lane keep assist on top!).

Funny enough I bought the S60 two weeks After I got my fiancťe an XC90 T6 Inscription w 21” wheels that to this date drives like a dream (knock on wood!). Reading the bulletin above seems there is little hope for my FWD SUV.

Sorry for the long post; I just want to say I feel your frustration; hoping this nightmare has a happy ending.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Can anyone tell what has changed in the new TJ? Obvious it’s a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOFAN12 View Post
      Can anyone tell what has changed in the new TJ? Obvious itís a big issue.
      What is interesting at the end of this document in the lower left corner writes : 2018-05-07 TJ 20803
      But this vibration problem seems to exist for a longer period of time, as evidenced by this TJ from 2016:
      https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....2016-11-18.pdf
      and 2017:
      https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....2017-10-18.pdf
      and 2019:
      https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...58649-9999.pdf

Of course, now Volvo fans will say it's not significant, and say I'm a troll Otherwise, the arguments mean nothing to them, it matters what they think
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-18-2020 at 04:54 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      So there is a problem with the vibration on SPA platform, So the two previous Volvo service were right when they said that
      TJ's does not support your claim. You are saying every SPA car got vibration which is certainly wrong.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      TJ's does not support your claim. You are saying every SPA car got vibration which is certainly wrong.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

I didn't say that it was every car but that it was a problem on SPA platform. Search the forum to see if the problem is on the SPA platform (XC60 / XC90 / V/S90/ S60 and XC40) I have never read anywhere that there is the same problem with many different models

Quote Originally Posted by S90Pitt View Post
      He felt the vibration and stated that it was normal for SPA platform cars to vibrate on the highway.
      Have a great day!

Josh
      Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOFAN12 View Post
      My service manager told me this too
      Last edited by BigBang; 01-19-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Almost all of the cars have vibration issues. Some more, others less.
      Seeing this in TJ is normal.
      Dealers telling you this is normal, is also normal.

Google is your friend. Replace "Volvo vibrations" with the brand of your choice.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      Almost all of the cars have vibration issues. Some more, others less.
      Seeing this in TJ is normal.
      Dealers telling you this is normal, is also normal.

Google is your friend. Replace "Volvo vibrations" with the brand of your choice.
      There are normal vibrations, and then there's a violent shaking that happens.
      Not the same. This bothsideism is stupid.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      There are normal vibrations, and then there's a violent shaking that happens.
      Not the same. This bothsideism is stupid.
      I agree, bothsideism is stupid but I also acknowledge the fact that all cars have these vibration issues that are being reported. The normal ones of course.
      Violent shaking sure is an issue and not what the others reported here.
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

Well this topic sure is fun! I got my car back last night. I went to another Volvo dealer after contacting Volvo support. They are working with me and will continue to keep working with me on a resolution. The customer service they have provided is top notch. It is a bit out of my way but they have me as a customer going forward.

The "Active On demand Coupling" was replaced, tires checked, alignment checked, entire drive train has been looked over and I see a huge improvement in the short time of driving. I feel that the vibration is 90 percent resolved in my car. Is it 100 percent, No. The vibration in my seat, floor, armrests has subsided substantially. I do have a slight vibration still when I am above 70 for an extended period of time, but nothing like it was.

My goal now is to drive my car for a while in varying conditions and see if I am satisfied. I have only driven it 40 miles since pickup and the temps were on the cold side (17 this morning). So far I am thrilled to be at this point. My car feels way more composed that it did. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Well this topic sure is fun! I got my car back last night. I went to another Volvo dealer after contacting Volvo support. They are working with me and will continue to keep working with me on a resolution. The customer service they have provided is top notch. It is a bit out of my way but they have me as a customer going forward.

The "Active On demand Coupling" was replaced, tires checked, alignment checked, entire drive train has been looked over and I see a huge improvement in the short time of driving. I feel that the vibration is 90 percent resolved in my car. Is it 100 percent, No. The vibration in my seat, floor, armrests has subsided substantially. I do have a slight vibration still when I am above 70 for an extended period of time, but nothing like it was.

My goal now is to drive my car for a while in varying conditions and see if I am satisfied. I have only driven it 40 miles since pickup and the temps were on the cold side (17 this morning). So far I am thrilled to be at this point. My car feels way more composed that it did. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
      This is sounding good. So far.

Awesome! Keep us posted.

My car has been at a different dealership for almost two weeks now, and they told me theyíre working with Volvoís technical department. I hope theyíre attempting the same repair with my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      Awesome! Keep us posted.

My car has been at a different dealership for almost two weeks now, and they told me they’re working with Volvo’s technical department. I hope they’re attempting the same repair with my car.

Any luck this time? After my 7th or 8th visit (I’ve lost count) it’s actually worse...

Iíve been in a loaner since January 6th, with the exception of those few hours I had my car, but most of that time was spent waiting for a tow truck. :/

The weather has been warmer in New England this past week- is it worse when itís warmer?

@S90Pitt- now that itís been a few days, how does your car seem? Still vibration free/free-ish? In my case, the vibrations would sometimes go away for a couple days after tire/rim replacements or road force balancing, but would always creep back. But Iíve never had any drive-line components replaced.

any update? has the vibration issue been fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      any update? has the vibration issue been fixed?
      So I drove my car all weekend in varying conditions. The only time I feel any sort of vibration oddly enough is on a perfectly smooth asphalt highway above 70. I drove my car on a toll road that was in reasonable condition but had dips and imperfections and I noticed no vibration. On the PA turnpike with newly done asphalt I get a very mild vibration above 70. The overall drivability has been greatly improved. At this point I feel very sensitive to the situation so I am going to keep driving it for the week and see also speak with my service rep to see if we want to take this further. I still feel that the issue is 90 percent resolved.

So I drove my car all weekend in varying conditions. The only time I feel any sort of vibration oddly enough is on a perfectly smooth asphalt highway above 70. I drove my car on a toll road that was in reasonable condition but had dips and imperfections and I noticed no vibration. On the PA turnpike with newly done asphalt I get a very mild vibration above 70. The overall drivability has been greatly improved. At this point I feel very sensitive to the situation so I am going to keep driving it for the week and see also speak with my service rep to see if we want to take this further. I still feel that the issue is 90 percent resolved.
      that's great news then.

Well, the dealer just called me. After 2.5 weeks, they want me to come pick the car up. Guess what they did... road force balanced the wheels.

I am done with this car and Volvo. Theyíre claiming that Bernardi was just doing a poor job balancing the wheels and thatís their explanation. So Iím sure Iíll go pick the car up, go for a drive with the service manager and the car wonít vibrate. But then after a few days of driving the shaking will be back and my wheels will he mysteriously out of balance again.

So Iím picking the car up tomorrow and researching lemon law lawyers. If anyone has any recommendations of lemon law lawyers in MA, Iíd appreciate it.

My 2017 S90 had highway vibrations with only 5k miles on it. Dealer replaced rotors and rebalanced wheels and vibrations stopped. Covered under warranty. For some reason the rotors didn't wear evenly causing an imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by kozak79 View Post
      My 2017 S90 had highway vibrations with only 5k miles on it. Dealer replaced rotors and rebalanced wheels and vibrations stopped. Covered under warranty. For some reason the rotors didn't wear evenly causing an imbalance.
      I may have read this from someone else or it could have been you in another thread.

Curious how rotors have to do with the car cruising at 55,65,80 mph.

I understand replacing rotors when the car shakes/vibrates while actively braking (I had to do this to an Acura I used to have) but that shouldn't be the cause for vibrations while car is actively in forward motion with no braking involved.
      2019 S60 - R-Design - T6 - Polestar - B&W - Black Stone

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      Well, the dealer just called me. After 2.5 weeks, they want me to come pick the car up. Guess what they did... road force balanced the wheels.

I am done with this car and Volvo. Theyíre claiming that Bernardi was just doing a poor job balancing the wheels and thatís their explanation. So Iím sure Iíll go pick the car up, go for a drive with the service manager and the car wonít vibrate. But then after a few days of driving the shaking will be back and my wheels will he mysteriously out of balance again.

So Iím picking the car up tomorrow and researching lemon law lawyers. If anyone has any recommendations of lemon law lawyers in MA, Iíd appreciate it.

Wishful thinking dude. If the vibration problem persists then you have options. Hope they solve the issue.

Well I may have spoke to soon. The vibration above 70 is still happening, just to a lesser degree. I do still feel that at lower speeds the AOC fix has really helped. I made another appointment and updated Volvo Corp with the details. I will make mention about the drive shaft video that recently came to light. I still think I am on the right path. I just want my car to be as smooth on the highway as it is below 60.

Well I may have spoke to soon. The vibration above 70 is still happening, just to a lesser degree. I do still feel that at lower speeds the AOC fix has really helped. I made another appointment and updated Volvo Corp with the details. I will make mention about the drive shaft video that recently came to light. I still think I am on the right path. I just want my car to be as smooth on the highway as it is below 60.
      Dropping my car off tonight at the dealer. I followed up with them and stated that the vibration on the highway seemed better after the repair but not 100 resolved and has since been getting worse since the AOC replacement. The last few days on the highway the vibration is just as bad as before the repair. The vibration is in the steering, seats, floor, etc. I even felt it at lower speeds along with my passengers over the weekend.

I have been working with the lead tech at the dealer and Volvo customer care. My service rep said they are going to open a tech case with Volvo as well. Since we have delved into the wheels, tires, and AOC. I am going to push for them to check the rubber surrounding the carrier bearings and removal/replacement of the driveshaft. An S90 forum member shows differences in the carrier bearing surrounds which is allowing excess play in the driveshaft. I took my car up to 90 on the highway and the issue got worse with speed. I will report back on my outcome. I do really like my car, but the vibration on the highway is really affecting my ability to enjoy my car.

That is really disappointing
      You are lucky to have a "lemon law" in the US
      If I were you I would be looking for a new car, I would not waste any more time and get nervous about it because they do not know how to fix the problem

That is really disappointing
      You are lucky to have a "lemon law" in the US
      If I were you I would be looking for a new car, I would not waste any more time and get nervous about it because they do not know how to fix the problem
      I bought my S90 lightly used 15k miles. So Lemon Law is not really an option in PA. I have it warrantied for 7 more years and 100k so hopefully I can get the issue resolved.

I bought my S90 lightly used 15k miles. So Lemon Law is not really an option in PA. I have it warrantied for 7 more years and 100k so hopefully I can get the issue resolved.
      I did not know that
      There is a possibility that the previous owner returned the car due to the same problems, and then Volvo sold the car to you that they did not correct the problems

FWIW, my lemon XC60 is up for sale at a Volvo dealership for $40K.
      Someone is going to buy themselves a problem...
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Well I reached the end of the road. I got my car back after they replaced the rear differential and the torsional damper again. I got on the highway and the car vibrated just the same (Seats, Floor, Steering). I now feel it from 60 and up. Since I have only had my car since the end of October and I have put over two grand into this situation (New Tires, New front Rotors, 5 Road Force Balancing) not to mention it has spent over a month at two dealers. I decided to trade it in on a new car. I lost a bit of money but the Audi I purchased is unbelievably smooth and the tech is a cut above. I wish the rest of you luck in resolving your issue. I really hope that Volvo is able to resolve these quality issues. I loved the looks of my S90, but I know that this issue would eat away at me. Also for what it is worth I absolutely recommend Star Volvo in Greensburg, PA. They truly went above and beyond to try and resolve my issue. I do not blame them for the lack of a fix, they did everything by the books while working with Volvo directly and then some.

Well I reached the end of the road. I got my car back after they replaced the rear differential and the torsional damper again. I got on the highway and the car vibrated just the same (Seats, Floor, Steering). I now feel it from 60 and up. Since I have only had my car since the end of October and I have put over two grand into this situation (New Tires, New front Rotors, 5 Road Force Balancing) not to mention it has spent over a month at two dealers. I decided to trade it in on a new car. I lost a bit of money but the Audi I purchased is unbelievably smooth and the tech is a cut above. I wish the rest of you luck in resolving your issue. I really hope that Volvo is able to resolve these quality issues. I loved the looks of my S90, but I know that this issue would eat away at me. Also for what it is worth I absolutely recommend Star Volvo in Greensburg, PA. They truly went above and beyond to try and resolve my issue. I do not blame them for the lack of a fix, they did everything by the books while working with Volvo directly and then some.
      Good news that you got rid of that car
      Probably the first owner also had the same problems and therefore returned the cars you bought
      Unfortunately, someone will buy it and get problems you had and Volvo technicians never knew how to solve them.
      Instead of Volvo America bringing the car back to Sweden to investigate the problem, they will sell it again
      Good luck with your new Audi

Good news that you got rid of that car
      Probably the first owner also had the same problems and therefore returned the cars you bought
      Unfortunately, someone will buy it and get problems you had and Volvo technicians never knew how to solve them.
      Instead of Volvo America bringing the car back to Sweden to investigate the problem, they will sell it again
      Good luck with your new Audi
      Thanks! Yeah it is a bummer for the next owner(s) Maybe someone will buy it and only drive around town!

32. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3