Frustrated by XC60 highway vibrations - Is it normal?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Have been a Volvo fan for 20+ years and have had great luck with pre-SPA cars. Currently in a 2019 XC60 that has had highway vibrations since new (T6 21"). Feels like a wheel is off balance with a strong feeling of vibration at speeds above 60mph (vibration gets worse the faster I go) mainly in the steering wheel but can be felt in the floor and seat as well. It's extremely tiring on long trips; I bought the XC60 for a weekly 300mi+ drive round trip. Has been back to the dealer 5 times and they have tried changing tires, balancing, etc.

I've had 2 XC90 loaners - no vibrations and great on highway.

A V60 - slight vibration, not as bad as mine but still annoying

An XC60 - wheel obviously off balance. Thumping between 65-72MPH 20"

Another XC60 on 19". This one vibrates worse than mine.

Is this just a characteristic of the car? At this point I'm ready to just trade it in for an X3 or X5. Volvo corporate has been no help. Can't believe this car was north of $60k and drives worse than my 2009 VW on the highway.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

12,000 miles on mine and no vibrations. None in the prior two either.
      Bill...

2019 XC60 R-Design Fusion Red, P*, Climate, BLIS
      2017 XC60 R-Design Sapphire Black, Climate, BLIS (Gone)
      2015 XC60 R-Design Sapphire Black, Climate, BLIS (Gone)

I'd ask dealer to try a set of wheels and tires from another normal car, and see if it fixes the issue. It is an easy way to isolate the problem.

And what tires are those? I hope they are not those Perilli with foam inside that causes problem.l when peeled off.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I'd ask dealer to try a set of wheels and tires from another normal car, and see if it fixes the issue. It is an easy way to isolate the problem.

And what tires are those? I hope they are not those Perilli with foam inside that causes problem.l when peeled off.

All of the cars with issues did have pirelli tires. I don't believe any other brand all seasons will fit my 21" wheels.

Thanks - our 2015.5 XC60 T6R is perfect.

Have you try this yet?

Is this just a characteristic of the car? At this point I'm ready to just trade it in for an X3 or X5. Volvo corporate has been no help. Can't believe this car was north of $60k and drives worse than my 2009 VW on the highway.
      No vibrations for me so far. Do whatever pleases you. Since you asked in the forums lets talk about the issue. Like FusionRedXC60 said, I'd try to narrow down what is causing the problem. What has the dealer done besides changing tires, balancing, etc? What is etc? Since they can't seem to find what's causing the problem, have you asked what other options do you have that they should offer? Like buy back or loaner until they fix the issue?

Volvo corporate has been no help
      Could you specify what they said?

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
      Have you try this yet?

No vibrations for me so far. Do whatever pleases you. Since you asked in the forums lets talk about the issue. Like FusionRedXC60 said, I'd try to narrow down what is causing the problem. What has the dealer done besides changing tires, balancing, etc? What is etc? Since they can't seem to find what's causing the problem, have you asked what other options do you have that they should offer? Like buy back or loaner until they fix the issue?

Could you specify what they said?

Sure - the dealer has tried changing the wheels and tires. The current wheels/tires are not the ones that came with my car, but they are from a model on the floor.

Volvo corporate has said they would reach out to the dealer...this hasn't resulted in much. They have also brought up doing a "trade assist." Every time i call they ask me what i want them to do...my response has been get the car right or replace it. The trade assist talks have been going on for about 2 months and i can't get an answer out of anyone other than that they are looking into it.

Whenever i get the car back, the dealer claims it's fixed. When i bring it back, they admit there is still an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOFAN12 View Post
      Have been a Volvo fan for 20+ years and have had great luck with pre-SPA cars. Currently in a 2019 XC60 that has had highway vibrations since new (T6 21"). Feels like a wheel is off balance with a strong feeling of vibration at speeds above 60mph (vibration gets worse the faster I go) mainly in the steering wheel but can be felt in the floor and seat as well. It's extremely tiring on long trips; I bought the XC60 for a weekly 300mi+ drive round trip. Has been back to the dealer 5 times and they have tried changing tires, balancing, etc.

This is not/should not be a characteristic of the vehicle. I have 30k miles on my 2018 T6 (lots of highway miles) & there is no vibration. At his point I would try another dealer !
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

Iím experiencing a situation very similar to yours, but with a 2019 S60 T6 inscription (awd). It came with the 19Ē inscription rims and pirelli noice cancelling tires. Theyíve replaced the tires 4-5 times, road force balancing them constantly, then replaced the rims and tires. The shaking went away for almost a week after the rim change.

I was also able to get the shaking to go away for a few weeks by buying 18Ē OEM rims and Michelin x-ice3 tires (no foam), but itís now shaking with those tires and rims too.

I opened a case with Volvo last week asking that they look into my front propeller shaft, or any other possible root cause of this shaking. Havenít heard back from VCNA yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2017 XC90 T8 has an extraordinary smooth drive on OEM 21 inch wheels with OEM Pirelli tires. I have had the tires rotated and balanced several times now. Always super smooth. The fact that different wheels and tires have been tried, as well as rotating and balancing the OEM wheels with no apparent change suggests that the wheels/tires may not be the culprit. I assume alignment is good? Think of it like a washing machine that goes through the spin cycle. If the load is not balanced the machine begins to shake. It can shake so badly that it will trigger the sensors that stop the basket from hitting the sides. Could it be the rotors or the bearings in the wheels? Does the vibration at higher speed remain if you place the transmission in neutral? Is it speed related MPH or is it engine RPM related? When you tried taking wheels from another vehicle did they verify that the other vehicle had a smooth ride associated with those wheels? I honestly believe you will be able to fix this issue. It is not rocket science but there are a lot of variables. Keep us advised
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      Iím experiencing a situation very similar to yours, but with a 2019 S60 T6 inscription (awd). It came with the 19Ē inscription rims and pirelli noice cancelling tires. Theyíve replaced the tires 4-5 times, road force balancing them constantly, then replaced the rims and tires. The shaking went away for almost a week after the rim change.

I was also able to get the shaking to go away for a few weeks by buying 18Ē OEM rims and Michelin x-ice3 tires (no foam), but itís now shaking with those tires and rims too.

I opened a case with Volvo last week asking that they look into my front propeller shaft, or any other possible root cause of this shaking. Havenít heard back from VCNA yet.

Let us know how you make out. What worries me is that so many of the loaners have a similar issue. How many miles on your S60? Has the vibration been there since new?

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      My 2017 XC90 T8 has an extraordinary smooth drive on OEM 21 inch wheels with OEM Pirelli tires. I have had the tires rotated and balanced several times now. Always super smooth. The fact that different wheels and tires have been tried, as well as rotating and balancing the OEM wheels with no apparent change suggests that the wheels/tires may not be the culprit. I assume alignment is good? Think of it like a washing machine that goes through the spin cycle. If the load is not balanced the machine begins to shake. It can shake so badly that it will trigger the sensors that stop the basket from hitting the sides. Could it be the rotors or the bearings in the wheels? Does the vibration at higher speed remain if you place the transmission in neutral? Is it speed related MPH or is it engine RPM related? When you tried taking wheels from another vehicle did they verify that the other vehicle had a smooth ride associated with those wheels? I honestly believe you will be able to fix this issue. It is not rocket science but there are a lot of variables. Keep us advised
      Thanks - mine is speed dependent; does not seem to depend on engine RPMs. I did find the XC90 loaners to be much smoother but could just be a coincidence.

My 2019 Xc60 T5 Momentum with the 19Ē wheels and whatever the Pirellis it came with has no vibration at any speed it has been driven at. <= 150 km/h so far.
      Although I would say that those tires do tramline on certain road surfaces.
      Winter Blizzak DMV2 on 18Ē steelies donít vibrate and strangely are a bit quieter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it comes back after a few weeks, could it be alignment related? New tire could be good but becomes cupped or worn unevenly due to mis-alignment. A propel shaft or driving axle problem would cause the issue on new tires too.

Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Mine is speed dependent too- mainly above 65mph, but you can start to feel small ďpulsationsĒ around 55. It canít be felt most in the steering wheel, but also in the seats and pedals, especially as speed increases. It can get so bad that my HUD looks fuzzy.

The car currently has 3,500 miles, but it has done this since it was brand new. And I have had 2 loaners with this affliction as well. One was a 2020 XC60 T5 awd (not sure trim but I think momentum) and a 2019 S90 T5 awd momentum. The S90 was especially bad.

Iíve talked to someone from the S90 board that had similar issues that were resolved by replacing the front propeller shaft. Apparently thereís a TJ for it that seems to apply to all SPA AWD cars- TJ 20803.20.0. I donít know if this applies to my car or not, but I brought it up in my case with Volvo and asked that they see if it applies.

I love this car but Iím getting so tired of this shaking. The car drives like a million bucks around town, but totally falls apart at highways speeds.

IIRC [email protected] turned his V90CC in for something very similar.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

If it comes back after a few weeks, could it be alignment related? New tire could be good but becomes cupped or worn unevenly due to mis-alignment. A propel shaft or driving axle problem would cause the issue on new tires too.

I think they did an alignment at some point when they had it for the shaking. They definitely checked it. Itís been in over 10 times for this, and a few other issues, so Iíve kind of lost track of everything thatís been tried. And theyíve gotten really bad about giving me service receipts when I pick the car up- Iím going to ask for a print out of them all next time Iím there.

I think they did an alignment at some point when they had it for the shaking. They definitely checked it. Itís been in over 10 times for this, and a few other issues, so Iíve kind of lost track of everything thatís been tried. And theyíve gotten really bad about giving me service receipts when I pick the car up- Iím going to ask for a print out of them all next time Iím there.

i believe mine has been aligned too. What is crazy is that the loaners have the same issue. I thought maybe a defective batch of parts, but this has happened in 2019 and 2020 MY vehicles.

I had my 2018 XC60 bought back because of the vibrations. Driveshaft was the culprit it seems for me. They just didn't want to replace all the parts there.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Might mention the driveshaft to the dealer. If all wheels and alignment are checked multiple times same problem, then the problem should be focused somewhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTyhUb-3Ek read his full description, it matches your problem I think.

Might mention the driveshaft to the dealer. If all wheels and alignment are checked multiple times same problem, then the problem should be focused somewhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTyhUb-3Ek read his full description, it matches your problem I think.
      This may in fact be your issue. Nice work in finding that YouTube presentation.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

I have an appointment for my car on Thursday. I had mine in for this issue less than a month ago. I have an 19 S90 T5 AWD with 18k. It has done this since I purchased the car. I bought it lightly used 15k. I had the tires/wheels road force balanced at a trusted 3rd party. The issue persisted so I took it in. I was told the front rotors were out of round so they replaced them(over 500.00). They did not even road test my car. I left the dealer and the vibration persisted. I then decided to replace the tires. I put Michelin Primacy Tour A/S and had them road force balanced. The issue persists. Driving around town is very comfortable. However once I get on the highway between 65-75 this vibration starts. I feel it in the steering wheel, seats, floor. I drive a 20 mile stretch of the PA turnpike and I feel it after about 3 miles into my drive and then it persists until I exit the highway. I am going to make mention of the TJ(All SPA cars) when I get to the dealership. I really like my car but the vibration is not what I was expecting. I have an older BMW X3 in my fleet with 96k and it is smooth as silk on the highway. I traded in a 2016 BMW 3 Series on my S90 and it was also much smoother on the highway. I really hope they can resolve it! Good luck to anyone else who is having the issue.

do you think this affects all SPA from all the years and all manufacturing facilities, or certain time and/or where it was manufactured?

do you think this affects all SPA from all the years and all manufacturing facilities, or certain time and/or where it was manufactured?
      Not sure. I have the issue in my Chinese built Xc60 as well as having noticed it in a 2020 built in Sweden. I’ve driven an Xc90 built in Sweden - 2019 - that was fine.

Has anyone talked to their dealer about a trade assist? Mine seems to think it won’t be a hard sell but I’m not sure they will actually give me a fair deal. Also worried the new one will have the same issue and my current configuration is perfect.

Has anyone talked to their dealer about a trade assist? Mine seems to think it wonít be a hard sell but Iím not sure they will actually give me a fair deal. Also worried the new one will have the same issue and my current configuration is perfect.
      I was given a runaround about this so I just went through a lawyer for the buyback.

FWIW - during all the times my car was in the shop, I got a chance to drive a very wide range of 2018 - 2019 loaners: XC60, XC40, S60, XC90. Not one of them had the vibration issue.
      Also, a side note, my previous XC60 developed the vibration issue around 7000 miles. There were no issue with that before that mileage.
      What the vibration felt like was very different than the one you get from unbalanced tire. It would start around 63MPH and get really bad if you went above 70 MPH.
      It would start through the floor, so you'd feel it in the seats first, then it'd move up to the steering wheel as the speed was increasing.
      Vibration at the wheel and in the seat was unbearable at 75MPH.
      Last edited by rumyn; 12-17-2019 at 12:18 AM.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

I had the same situation last year after taking delivery. As soon as I started hitting speeds over 65 MPH, the vibrations became quite obvious. I brought it to the attention of my dealer and they did a load force balance and determined the Pirelli tires (21" R-Design wheels) were faulty and had them replaced under warranty from Pirelli. The next set of tires solved the problem and the vibrations have been gone for good. I've sprinted in excess of 90 in order to pass a line of cars clogging up the left lane (gripes for another time) and I no longer experience any vibrations at any speed. I recently had to have the front driver side tire replaced due to a gashed sidewall and the new tire is also free of any imperfections that cause any vibrations. A good dealership should be able to determine the issue with the load force balancing and resolve the issue with a new tire swap. Perhaps there was a bad batch of Pirelli tires that are still in use.

Quote Originally Posted by quinonesm View Post
      I had the same situation last year after taking delivery. As soon as I started hitting speeds over 65 MPH, the vibrations became quite obvious. I brought it to the attention of my dealer and they did a load force balance and determined the Pirelli tires (21" R-Design wheels) were faulty and had them replaced under warranty from Pirelli. The next set of tires solved the problem and the vibrations have been gone for good.
      The best way to eliminate tires as a culprit is to ask the dealer to swap the wheels from another car with different rims and tires. That's what I did for mine. Tires/wheels weren't the problem, but it's an important diagnostics step.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Normal for the low profile tires:

My S90 went thru a new set of tires at 100 miles, then Volvo directed the dealer to pre-warm the tires on the machine for 15 minutes at low speed. Then load force balance warm tires on warm rim which resolved the problem 95%. The tires are still harsh riding but OK up to Flux Capacitor speed and well above. Last Volvo I buy with the larger tire options, and Ive had 8 Volvos. The new 90 has been the worst, my 2015 XC60 3.0- T6 is great with the 18" wheels. Just put new tires on at 60K miles.

I took my S90 in this morning. I explained the trail of things that I have done road force balancing, new tires, rotors etc.. I mentioned the Tech Journal. My service rep asked the shop foreman to take a ride with me. I got onto the highway and pointed out the mild to moderate vibration and he said it was normal. I continued to drive and my phone was mildly vibrating in the center console. I also felt the vibration in the steering wheel, floor, and seat. He said it was normal. He then asked what my Road Force numbers were and I said 9 3 3 and 21. He immediately said my issue was due to the 21 on my right rear wheel. I said why I agree that the number is on the higher side Volvo noted anything below 23 is acceptable. Tire shops feel anything below 27 is acceptable. So I have them attempting to road force balance my wheels again. I may reach out to Tire Rack to see if they will replace the higher numbered tire. The issue was occurring before I got these tires and has continued since I got the tires which makes me feel like it is drive train related. Not sure how to proceed. I drove my car all weekend below 60 and the issue did not present itself. As soon as I get on the highway above 70 the issue starts and continues. If this was a part of the design and nothing could be done I would live with it. However I hear of people who do not have a vibration issue or had the issue resolved so I may need to get Volvo involved if the issue persists.

If someone is in my car as I am pointing out an issue, and their response is, "that is normal" I say, ok, let's go jump into another one and compare.
      Current - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver - Amber Interior
      Previous - 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design - Passion Red - Black/Beige Sport Interior

Quote Originally Posted by pvoveris View Post
      If someone is in my car as I am pointing out an issue, and their response is, "that is normal" I say, ok, let's go jump into another one and compare.
      Agreed.
      What I've learned from the debacle with my XC60 is that Volvo techs reaaaaally don't like diagnostics or just working on complicated issues in general.
      I've been told "it's normal" 6 times before repairs started.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

I had an issue with my '13 XC60 where there was a distinct clunking sound from the rear axle when making a turn from a stop. For the longest time service couldn't hear or feel it until I brought one along with me and pointed it out, hearing the "that's normal". Said fine, let's take a ride in some of the others, nary a clunk among them. Finally wound up replacing the entire rear axle.
      Current - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription - Bright Silver - Amber Interior
      Previous - 2013 XC60 T6 R-Design - Passion Red - Black/Beige Sport Interior

One relatively easy thing you can check is the torque on the lug nuts. Torque them in a star pattern to about 40ft lbs, then repeat the pattern and torque to ~104ft lbs. Some wheels are sensitive to uneven torque and it can show up as vibration at speed.

Iím pretty confident that my shaking isnít wheel related, but at this point Iím not ruling anything out. After having the shaking persist with three different sets of rims and countless different tires, I think itís powertrain or mounts, or something else.

I did just hear back from VCNA- they didnít provide me with any info and just asked if Iíve scheduled an appointment yet. I thought I was waiting to hear from them before I brought it back, but I guess I was confused. Iím just so tired of the letdown of having my car be at the dealer for 1-2 weeks just to pick it up with the problem still there. By my count, this will be my 11th visit for this issue- it just seems totally crazy to me. I have never owned a car that couldnít be fixed, but Iím starting to feel like thatís the case here.

Thanks to everyone whoís given suggestions of other things to check- Iím taking notes and will mention them to my SA next time.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast