Brake Replacements
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Brake Replacements

Hi folks -

Am wondering if I can get an estimate of how many miles and cost it took to replace all 4 brake pads/rotors etc. I'm getting them replaced soon, and I'm curious what people paid to get this work done, where, and after how many miles. I have a 2018, and the car didn't make it 20k miles before they're telling me they're all in need of replacements.

Is this common for such a heavy car in mostly city conditions?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Less than 20k miles to replace all pads / rotors is not normal, regardless of driving conditions

I had two SUVs before, changing the front pads to about 30k miles for the rears to 40k miles
      I changed the rotors on the next pads replacement
      Last edited by BigBang; 12-15-2019 at 06:54 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Of using pilot assist often then yes, lots of posts about it. You don't need rotors just pads, I buy from FCP Euro because they have lifetime replacement. There was no cost to install since I did it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Based on my few months of ownership, I also feel that our car does not have engine braking at all, whenever I take my foot off gas pedal, it rolls like its on neutral. This could be another culprit in addition to pilot assist / adaptive cruise control. There is no regenerative braking to reduce speed, since mine is not hybrid or electric , that helps in hybrid and electric vehicles to reduce brake wear. I had 2 SUVs earlier (small and Medium) and did not touch the front brakes until 36 K and rear until 42K. My driving is 60 % City.
      Last edited by PSamy; 12-15-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Checked the history of my previous vehicles , I did change the brake pads at 36K on my Honda Pilot
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

I have seen them need replacement in under 20k, regardless of what BigBang says.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I have seen them need replacement in under 20k, regardless of what BigBang says.
      If so then it is obvious that Volvo is using pads / rotors of poor quality ( by poor quality I mean the wear rate is not the quality of the brake)
      Last edited by BigBang; 12-15-2019 at 02:19 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      If so then it is obvious that Volvo is using pads / rotors of poor quality
      I've also seen them last 40k. Obvious it depends on driving.

I've also seen them last 40k. Obvious it depends on driving.
      Regardless of driving style, the difference between less than 20k miles and 40k miles is huge
      I can understand the difference of 20-40% but more than 100% is amazing

Sorry, this is not normal for me
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Okay and what's normal "for you" doesn't mean much.

Okay and what's normal "for you" doesn't mean much.

Of course, everyone is entitled to an opinion
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by 2careornot2care View Post
      Hi folks -

Am wondering if I can get an estimate of how many miles and cost it took to replace all 4 brake pads/rotors etc. I'm getting them replaced soon, and I'm curious what people paid to get this work done, where, and after how many miles. I have a 2018, and the car didn't make it 20k miles before they're telling me they're all in need of replacements.

Hopefully somebody here can actually answer your question about cost but realize it will vary depending on region as labor rates can vary greatly.

20k miles for rotors and pads all around is at the low end for these cars but not unheard of. I say "these cars" because most cars have much longer brake life. This ridiculously short brake life is sort of a new thing for Volvo with the SPA platform.

Before you have the dealer replace everything, ask about the measurements for your rotors' thickness and runout. If they are still in spec then maybe you can get away with just pads.

Hopefully Volvo's engineers can figure out a solution to premature brake wear on the SPA cars because $1k+ brake jobs every 20k will have a significant impact on costs of ownership and in turn peoples' interest in these cars.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Quote Originally Posted by 2careornot2care View Post
      Hi folks -

It cost me 1100 dollar. New pads all around and new front rotors. Ridiculous break wear on this car and not at all happy.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...kes-all-around

At 14k miles, I recently had my T8 in for a minor repair and the tech noted 9mm (front and rear brakes).

At $1k for a brake job, the $500 upcharge for the T8 (after tax credits and rebates) has already paid for itself....twice.
      Last edited by lamarguy; 12-16-2019 at 02:01 PM.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

i'm bumping this thread cause i'm looking for more information. Does anyone have recommendations of other brake pads or rotors other than oem? does EBC offer a harder pad compound? i heard the oem brake pad material is pretty soft which causes it to wear faster.

I hate EBC pads on every vehicle Iíve tried them on.

If you donít want OEM then Iíd go with Akebono pads and Brembo rotors, if available.

Quote Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
      i'm bumping this thread cause i'm looking for more information. Does anyone have recommendations of other brake pads or rotors other than oem? does EBC offer a harder pad compound? i heard the oem brake pad material is pretty soft which causes it to wear faster.
      I have seen different brands other than OEM in FCPeuro: ATE, Textar, TRW, & Akebono.

After researching all these brands, both ATE and TRW pads are made in Italy and they probably supply Volvo pads that are also made in Italy.

I found TRW and ATE to have factories in Italy.

Textar is a German company and most likely their pads are made in Germany or Romania.

Akebono are proudly made in US and have competitive price (I ordered mine for my S90 and they are on the way...). I will share a review after two months.

You could also check Vivaperformance, if you want stoptech.

For rotors, probably a resurface will be enough rather than changing. They might work better with aftermarket brake pads.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Nerd23; 05-22-2020 at 03:50 PM.

The brake (pads and warped rotors) wear on these SPA cars is alarming. One of the reasons I have a brand new Tesla Model Y now.
      2020 Tesla Model Y LR AWD FSD
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvoís: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      The brake (pads and warped rotors) wear on these SPA cars is alarming. One of the reasons I have a brand new Tesla Model Y now.
      Lol, Teslas have been rife with quality issues since they rolled out.

Yeah, we got less than 24k miles on our 2018 T5 before the front passenger side was metal-on-metal, and all the others were < 1mm on the pads.

Shocked the hell outta me to hear the dealer service tech say this was "normal," because my 2006 4Runner went 75k on the front brakes and over 100k on the rears before I had to replace them.

Anyhow, I ordered OEM pads and rotors for all 4 corners for under $600 and did the replacements myself.

Gonna keep an eye on this thread to see how folks make out with non-OEM units.

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Lol, Teslas have been rife with quality issues since they rolled out.
      Good talk.
      12 VW Eos Executive

Good talk.
      Youíre just trolling, then. I mean you said ďIíve had ONE problem with my Volvo so Iím going to go to a brand that consistently has quality issues and canít seem to build a car properlyĒ. Okay. Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Youíre just trolling, then. I mean you said ďIíve had ONE problem with my Volvo so Iím going to go to a brand that consistently has quality issues and canít seem to build a car properlyĒ. Okay. Good luck with that!
      This is now far off topic, so mods please feel free to delete this post, but Iím not going to have someone lash out at me for buying a car thatís not a Volvo, and then tell me how terrible they are:

Wow. Think youíre over reacting maybe just a little bit? Why are you quoting things Iíve never said? Iíve had two SPA Volvoís. My XC90 had the rotors and pads replaced under warranty a few times, and rear pads on my own dime twice in the 50,000miles I owned the car. My XC60 has gone through one set of front rotors and rear rotors. One set of front pads, and two sets of rears, 50,000miles as well. Iíve had other issues with both cars as well, but all were corrected by the dealer. Kind of like how Tesla does if you have an issue?

This isnít why I bought a Tesla. If Volvo can produce an EV with a 300+ mile range, something that competes or exceeds what Autopilot can do, and costs around $55-65,000.00, sign me up. Until then, Tesla has my wallet.

Do/did you own a Tesla and have a bad experience? If so, please let me know, as Iíd be interested what issues you had that left such a bad taste in your mouth. Or did you short sell stock in Tesla?
      12 VW Eos Executive

Teslaís market cap hit $100 billion
      Interestingly, how is it that the value of Tesla is over 100 billion dollars if they produce cars with a lot of problems
      Currently the most valuable car company in the world

Tesla sold 367,500 cars in 2019
      Volvo sales of 705,452 cars in 2019

It is obvious that investors do not know anything, they are investing capital in a company that produces very bad cars with a lot of problems.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Beyond BigBang's ever present trolling (ignore button, guys) there is a point here. Brakes should last way more than 25,000 miles. The fact that so many owners are facing premature wear should signal intervention from Volvo. Something's wrong.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      Beyond BigBang's ever present trolling (ignore button, guys) there is a point here. Brakes should last way more than 25,000 miles. The fact that so many owners are facing premature wear should signal intervention from Volvo. Something's wrong.
      That's it exactly... Something is wrong or missed by Volvo engineers. Also, it could be a poor quality brake pads from a poor supplier. Maybe Volvo tried to minimize the cost somewhere but ended up screwing our confidence on Volvo OEM brakes.

I will see how long Akebono brake pads will last...

I see you don't use the ignore button, why not ?

I love your humor, but write what the problem is with the brakes on Volvo, why they have to change to less than 20k miles

I'm just writing facts, you have the right to write the opposite, but of course you need facts for that - evidence

For everything I have written here, I have given concrete examples or evidence, I have never invented or lied about anything
      The fact that individuals are bothered by the truth is their problem and not mine

Enjoy life, don't get upset
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-24-2020 at 12:49 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

The below Tech Journals are a good evidence of brake problems on Volvo SPA cars. Anyone have seen similar journals for Volvo prior-SPA cars?! I don't think so.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...67910-9999.pdf

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....2019-04-02.pdf

Note that these journals have been revised multiple time since 2016 or 2017.

Last edited by Nerd23; 05-24-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      The below Tech Journals are a good evidence of brake problems on Volvo SPA cars. Anyone have seen similar journals for Volvo prior-SPA cars?! I don't think so.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...67910-9999.pdf

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index....2019-04-02.pdf

Note that these journals have been revised multiple time since 2016 or 2017.

Anyone interested here can search it all
      Just change the year and model
      https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tech...lvo/XC60/Brake
      https://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tech...lvo/XC60/Brake
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

This is now far off topic, so mods please feel free to delete this post, but Iím not going to have someone lash out at me for buying a car thatís not a Volvo, and then tell me how terrible they are:

Wow. Think youíre over reacting maybe just a little bit? Why are you quoting things Iíve never said? Iíve had two SPA Volvoís. My XC90 had the rotors and pads replaced under warranty a few times, and rear pads on my own dime twice in the 50,000miles I owned the car. My XC60 has gone through one set of front rotors and rear rotors. One set of front pads, and two sets of rears, 50,000miles as well. Iíve had other issues with both cars as well, but all were corrected by the dealer. Kind of like how Tesla does if you have an issue?

This isnít why I bought a Tesla. If Volvo can produce an EV with a 300+ mile range, something that competes or exceeds what Autopilot can do, and costs around $55-65,000.00, sign me up. Until then, Tesla has my wallet.

Do/did you own a Tesla and have a bad experience? If so, please let me know, as Iíd be interested what issues you had that left such a bad taste in your mouth. Or did you short sell stock in Tesla?
      I'm not overreacting. I think you are, however. I only quoted what you said. I did not alter any of your quotes.

Welcome to my ignore list. Wow, life is already better :-)

I will be very angry if I have to replace brake pads and/or rotors during my 36,000 mile lease. Iíve never had to replace the brakes on my last three new cars which were each kept for 4 years (1 MINI COOPER AND 2 Kia Optima). I am not a conservative driver either, and never had issues with any of them.

To think that I may have to replace even three years in is disgusting, let alone two.
      2020 XC60 T5 AWD Inscription with Advanced and Luxury package in Denim Blue with Blond interior

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjackmark View Post
      I will be very angry if I have to replace brake pads and/or rotors during my 36,000 mile lease. Iíve never had to replace the brakes on my last three new cars which were each kept for 4 years (1 MINI COOPER AND 2 Kia Optima). I am not a conservative driver either, and never had issues with any of them.

To think that I may have to replace even three years in is disgusting, let alone two.
      To play devil's advocate:

A Mini Cooper weighs only 2,767 - 3,120 lbs.
      Kia Optimas weigh only 3,230 - 3,558 lbs.

A Volvo XC60 weights 4,105 - 4,199 lbs.

It's a heavier vehicle, so it's not unreasonable to think it will be harder on brake pads. Also, although a few people have had to replace pads at 20k miles, most people haven't. Mine seem to have lots of meat left on them, still.

My last vehicle was a Lincoln MKX 4,600 pound SUV. No unusual brake wear. I turned it in at 3,600 miles and they're was very little wear at that point.

I've never seen any evidence that heavier vehicles are harder on brakes.

Your final point is now convincing though.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

I've never seen any evidence that heavier vehicles are harder on brakes.
      Simple physics. More mass is harder to stop. Volvo could improve the situation by fitting larger diameter rotors and/or larger brake calipers -- which would consequently need larger brake pads. Increasing the rotor size increases the mechanical leverage -- same way as using a longer lever or larger diameter steering wheel makes work easier. Larger calipers would support larger pads, which means more contact area, and better stopping power and more break pad material that would have to be consumed before the pads needed replacement.

Of course, those changes would prevent people from putting smaller wheels on, something that I think is semi-popular in areas that get heavy snow (in those area's people usually have a winter set of wheels/tires and it's not uncommon for the winter set to be only 17-18" in diameter -- limiting how large the brakes can be.

For those who don't know (for individuals who do not know but comment) , Volvo on the XC60, it uses 17", 18" and 19" front brake discs, on rear brakes. 17" and 16"

Front discs 17" are used on models with FWD and the weakest engines (D3, T4, T5 )

What is strange and is not standard that the diameter of the same discs Volvo uses on several models of front wheel brake 18 ": S60, S90, V60, V90, V90 Cross Country, XC40, XC60, XC90.
      The weight of these models is from 3600lbs-4600lbs (does not include T8 model )

What is even more interesting is that the same brake pads are used on the 18 "and 19" discs

Obviously it's a matter of savings, because the same discs and brake pads are used on so many models.
      The difference in weight is large between XC40 - XC90, use same brake disk and pads

What's even weirder, the XC40 only has 18" front discs and the heavier model XC60 , V90 CC, V90 and S90 has 17" and 18"
      Strange decisions of Volvo engineers that have no logic
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-25-2020 at 06:07 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Sorry but the weight factor doesn't make any sense!! My Volvo S80 was heavy enough and had the smallest rotors and never had any issues with the brakes to be wearing fast.

The weight effect in the current situation is very very marginal ... The comparison is not between a car and a truck!

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast