Brake Replacements - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      Simple physics. More mass is harder to stop. Volvo could improve the situation by fitting larger diameter rotors and/or larger brake calipers -- which would consequently need larger brake pads. Increasing the rotor size increases the mechanical leverage -- same way as using a longer lever or larger diameter steering wheel makes work easier. Larger calipers would support larger pads, which means more contact area, and better stopping power and more break pad material that would have to be consumed before the pads needed replacement.

Of course, those changes would prevent people from putting smaller wheels on, something that I think is semi-popular in areas that get heavy snow (in those area's people usually have a winter set of wheels/tires and it's not uncommon for the winter set to be only 17-18" in diameter -- limiting how large the brakes can be.
      18" tires were standard on my Lincoln. It weighed two or three hundred pounds more than the XC60 and the brakes certainly didn't need replacing at 20,000 miles.

We had a tank of a m-b that weighed maybe 5,000 (huge). 17 inch tires standard. 70000 miles to first pass replacement.

I don't think your correct. Larger vehicle don't need frequent brake jobs just because of weight. It doesn't work like that.

All that said, I'm not going to get excited about this until I'm convinced it is a Volvo problem. A few reports on car forums won't convince me.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 05-25-2020 at 12:31 PM.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      Sorry but the weight factor doesn't make any sense!! My Volvo S80 was heavy enough and had the smallest rotors and never had any issues with the brakes to be wearing fast.

The weight effect in the current situation is very very marginal ... The comparison is not between a car and a truck!

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
      Weight is extremely important for brakes
      It’s not the same when you try to stop a vehicle weighing 3500lbs or 5000lbs

Then explain why the XC60 T8 has 19" discs and other models 17" and 18" ?

And your Volvo S80 had 17 "and 18" discs

Another thing is the questionable quality of discs and pads that wear out enormously fast
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Weight is extremely important for brakes
      It’s not the same when you try to stop a vehicle weighing 3500lbs or 5000lbs

Then explain why the XC60 T8 has 19" discs and other models 17" and 18" ?

And your Volvo S80 had 17 "and 18" discs

Another thing is the questionable quality of discs and pads that wear out enormously fast
      Weight is a factor but it's NOT the main factor in the current situation.

The only thing left is either the quality of the rotors/brake pads that Volvo is using for SPA platform OR probably the brake calipers are always pressed by 10-20% by the car's system somehow.

Note: after research I found that Volvo brake pads (standard/comfort) are probably supplied from ATE or TRW. Not sure if these are high-quality brands.

Personally, I'm going with aftermarket brake pads and will see how better/worse they last. Going OEM is costing much more in the long run. Period.

Last edited by Nerd23; 05-25-2020 at 01:28 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Check the below reply... Someone is happy with Akebono brake pads.. Can't wait to install them on my car.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Note: after research I found that Volvo brake pads (standard/comfort) are probably supplied from ATE or TRW. Not sure if these are high-quality brands.

ATE is a proven German company that made braking systems for Porsche, Ferrari ....
      In 1998 he bought Continental AG
      Today, many European manufacturers use ATE as their first installation
      I had their brakes on the first generation Q5 and I am super pleased

TRW Automotive is a world leader in the production of steering control and braking system parts.
      TRW is also a German company owned by ZF Friedrichshafen AG Concern

They are probably not as well known in the US as Italian Brembo
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-25-2020 at 02:12 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

ATE is a proven German company that made braking systems for Porsche, Ferrari ....
      In 1998 he bought Continental AG
      Today, many European manufacturers use ATE as their first installation
      I had their brakes on the first generation Q5 and I am super pleased

TRW Automotive is a world leader in the production of steering control and braking system parts.
      TRW is also a German company owned by ZF Friedrichshafen AG Concern

They are probably not as well known in the US as Italian Brembo
      They seem to be a well-known and trusted suppliers.

Personally, I will not direct the blame on these manufacturers until I prove myself that they supplied Volvo the worst brake pads ever. The result will become clear after installing the aftermarket pads for awhile...

They seem to be a well-known and trusted suppliers.

Personally, I will not direct the blame on these manufacturers until I prove myself that they supplied Volvo the worst brake pads ever. The result will become clear after installing the aftermarket pads for awhile...

They made and delivered what Volvo asked of them, ie according to the specifications provided by Volvo, otherwise they offer many types of brake discs and pads.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

They made and delivered what Volvo asked of them, ie according to the specifications provided by Volvo, otherwise they offer many types of brake discs and pads.
      Will be interested to see the spec that Volvo provided for the manufacturer.

"What was the expected life span of the brake pads?" ... I don't think they agreed on 15-25K miles life-span...

Anyway, we will find the root cause for this wear issue sooner or later...

I think the wear is being caused by pilot assist and cruise control.

But, that's a pure guess.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 05-25-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      I think the wear is being caused by pilot assist and cross control.

That is the speculation on forums for other vehicles, too.

This brake wear life "concern" is not unique to Volvo. It also seems to be a relatively recent development (last few years). It also doesn't apply to everyone -- only some drivers.

I would not be surprised to hear confirmation that it's the driver assistance features and how much SOME people rely on them (or fight against them).

On my last vehicle, the battery died at the end if year 2. The dealer basically said that battery tech hasn't caught up to a lot of the drain at state up from modern electronics.

Wear and tear parts could be vulnerable too well the new features.

Beyond BigBang's ever present trolling (ignore button, guys) there is a point here. Brakes should last way more than 25,000 miles. The fact that so many owners are facing premature wear should signal intervention from Volvo. Something's wrong.
      Count me in that bucket of brake failures at 20k. Front brakes and rotors. $800.

I think the wear is being caused by pilot assist and cruise control.

Mine has no pilot assist and I rarely use cruise control. Cruise control isn't using your brakes anyway. My brake habits haven't changed in 30 years.

Worse, I've had 5 Volvos and 3 from the same dealer. One was the previous generation of XC60. None of those vehicles have this kind of wear.

It's so bad that some dealers and Volvo corporate are covering this cost, despite them being wearable items.

When I took mine in for the 20k mile service, I worked with my salesperson to get an XC40 demo as a loaner which my wife was interested in getting. She was having a conniption over wanting one. When we drove it, she liked the XC60 better. So we were thinking of getting another XC60 for her.

Only to find that we had to eat the cost of a premature brake job.

If you want to bang on LowlyOilBurner for going to Tesla, I'm going to be making your day now. Because the dealer/corporate did jack and sh1t about my service despite having been a loyal Volvo customer, we picked up a new Lincoln MKZ for my wife the evening before the state went into lockdown. Yeah, it's not an SUV but the wife wanted an enjoyable ride and experience. That's all.

And after my experience with Volvo Corporate and my dealer, I'm moving to a Lincoln in the near future. Likely an Aviator but maybe a Navigator, I'm not sure yet.

I just know that it won't be a Volvo with inferior brakes.

This thread and many others online (not just here) indicates the brakes are inferior.

And it's NOT driving style nor pilot assist.

It's inferior product.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2011 S80 Electric Silver - RIP
      2013 XC60 Electric Silver
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

I don't think it's a wise decision to change your car because of only one issue (brake wear). You should, at least, try to solve it yourself if Volvo are in a deep sleep.

It's pretty much clear for me that the way to solve the brake issue is to go with aftermarket rotors and pads. Do one at a time until you solve the issue. Your goal is to find the root cause of the issue.

If doing all of this didn't solve the issue, then it will be wise decision to change your car.

From my analysis to the issue, the supplier of Volvo brake pads just supplied Volvo the poorest quality brake pads ever produced for SPA cars. From a quick search on the web, I discovered the following:

1- Volvo brake pads that were fitted in old Volvos (prior SPA) were made in UK, Romania, and Germany by ATE, TRW, and Textar.

2- Volvo brake pads that are fitted on Volvo SPA cars are exclusively Made in Italy (no supplier brand on the pads) . I haven't seen a different country of origins on the boxes. So, who supply Volvo these poor quality brake pads from Italy? That's a great question.

It's clear that either Volvo have switched their brake pads suppliers or the old supplier have changed something in the brake pads formula.

Check the below example for Volvo S80

See, the issue you have is that you think you should find the issue.

That's not my problem. I don't mind finding root causes of things... when they are in my purview.

However, this is a part failure issue. I'm not getting paid to fix a problem I didn't cause. I have better things to do with my life than to figure Volvo's cheap parts out.

So "wise" to do is not for you to say. That's a subjective statement.

Wise for me is to eliminate the problem. Volvo corporate and Volvo dealers.

For me, doing all that you suggest isn't wise.

Again, that's why I say it's a subjective statement.

At this point, Volvo has screwed up so badly even refunding my cost is beyond fixing the issue. My dealer has barely acknowledged that I even exist. As a customer, that's an unacceptable issue.

Volvo Corporate hasn't done much better.

Now I feel especially ripped off for pre-paying for my services to 50k miles. I won't do that again, for sure.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Quote Originally Posted by tarrbot View Post
      See, the issue you have is that you think you should find the issue.

That's not my problem. I don't mind finding root causes of things... when they are in my purview.

However, this is a part failure issue. I'm not getting paid to fix a problem I didn't cause. I have better things to do with my life than to figure Volvo's cheap parts out.

So "wise" to do is not for you to say. That's a subjective statement.

Wise for me is to eliminate the problem. Volvo corporate and Volvo dealers.

For me, doing all that you suggest isn't wise.

Again, that's why I say it's a subjective statement.

At this point, Volvo has screwed up so badly even refunding my cost is beyond fixing the issue. My dealer has barely acknowledged that I even exist. As a customer, that's an unacceptable issue.

Volvo Corporate hasn't done much better.

Now I feel especially ripped off for pre-paying for my services to 50k miles. I won't do that again, for sure.
      I feel your pain... pre paying for a service plan was a bad idea in your current situation. Try to refund what you paid if you can. That's a lesson learned... Always have a smart escape plan from any agreement (car related)...

Anyway regarding the brake issue, we are here and we will find the root cause for the issue. Just relax and you will see the results in the near future. My point at the end don't ruin your enjoyment for your beautiful XC60 for a small mistake that Volvo or its supplier have done.

I've seen them last a wide range of mileages. Which suggests the driver plays a role.

Same "inferior" parts can last 13k on one car and 45k on another.

I don't think it's a wise decision to change your car because of only one issue (brake wear). You should, at least, try to solve it yourself if Volvo are in a deep sleep.

It's pretty much clear for me that the way to solve the brake issue is to go with aftermarket rotors and pads. Do one at a time until you solve the issue. Your goal is to find the root cause of the issue.

If doing all of this didn't solve the issue, then it will be wise decision to change your car.

From my analysis to the issue, the supplier of Volvo brake pads just supplied Volvo the poorest quality brake pads ever produced for SPA cars. From a quick search on the web, I discovered the following:

1- Volvo brake pads that were fitted in old Volvos (prior SPA) were made in UK, Romania, and Germany by ATE, TRW, and Textar.

2- Volvo brake pads that are fitted on Volvo SPA cars are exclusively Made in Italy (no supplier brand on the pads) . I haven't seen a different country of origins on the boxes. So, who supply Volvo these poor quality brake pads from Italy? That's a great question.

It's clear that either Volvo have switched their brake pads suppliers or the old supplier have changed something in the brake pads formula.

Check the below example for Volvo S80

Good news guys... Finally I'm confident to say that ATE is the exclusive supplier for Volvo brake pads on SPA cars. So, for now, ATE doesn't seem to provide Volvo the best quality brake pads they have. ATE does have a premium brake pads but they haven't been requested by Volvo for most of their SPA line (ceramic). So, you can try to go aftermarket with StopTech, Akebono, Textar, and TRW and see how they improve things. Personally, I'm going with Akebono for the good reviews I have seen in Audi/Mercedes forums (cheap, low dust and last long).

The below pictures and the ATE catalog are the proof for my findings. Also, the ATE pdf below is very useful as it lists every car manufacturer and the rotors/brake pads available on their models. For instance, you can see Bosch, TRW, Brembo, Akebono, etc... Very interesting to see...

Wait for my review for Akebono brake pads after 3 months on my S90...

https://www.ate-brakes.com/media/384...emsen-2020.pdf

https://www.ate-brakes.com/catalogue...ne-catalogues/

Good news guys... Finally I'm confident to say that ATE is the exclusive supplier for Volvo brake pads on SPA cars. So, for now, ATE doesn't seem to provide Volvo the best quality brake pads they have. ATE does have a premium brake pads but they haven't been requested by Volvo for most of their SPA line (ceramic).
      Do you know how much ceramic discs cost ?
      It all depends on what Volvo ordered and how much it pays

Q5 has 6 types of front discs and the price ranges from 160 - 360 EUR for one disc
      Of course it depends on whether you have a brake caliper with two or six pistons

Here’s a little example for Q8: there are three types of front discs with three prices:
      1. 360 EUR disc, (250 EUR pad set)
      2. 450 EUR, (350 pad set)
      3. 4235 EUR - ceramic disc, (550 EUR pad set)

These are all prices in Germany
      Last edited by BigBang; 05-26-2020 at 12:51 PM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Do you know how much ceramic discs cost ?
      It all depends on what Volvo ordered and how much it pays

Q5 has 6 types of front discs and the price ranges from 160 - 360 EUR for one disc
      Of course it depends on whether you have a brake caliper with two or six pistons

Here’s a little example for Q8: there are three types of front discs with three prices:
      1. 360 EUR disc, (250 EUR pad set)
      2. 450 EUR, (350 pad set)
      3. 4235 EUR - ceramic disc, (550 EUR pad set)

These are all prices in Germany
      Ceramic discs are costly no doubt. They last longer and they are well ventilated compared with regular rotors.

The point that I was trying to make that Volvo has some ATE brake pads that are Ceramic. Check the second picture on my post for the XC60 brake pads. You will see ATE + WE - WK Ceramic. The same option is not available for XC90 nor S90.

Ceramic brake pads are far superior from standard pads. They last longer and they perform better.

Last edited by Nerd23; 05-26-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I've seen them last a wide range of mileages. Which suggests the driver plays a role.

I've been driving the same way for 30 years. Even on a previous gen XC60. Even on other Volvos.

This suggests to me that the parts play a role rather than the driver.

So, rather than discuss the parts as inferior (which I believe they are or at least some of them in the wild are), I took issue with the fact that I got lousy service and lousy response from both Volvo dealer and Volvo corporate. The salt in that would was two-fold. One, that they covered brakes and rotors on other people as displayed here on SS and also on other places like Facebook. Two, that as a long-time owner I was not given the same consideration.

I tried multiple times with both dealer and corporate to explain that scenario. It became obvious they just did not care about my concerns.

So, therefore, I will not be buying another Volvo.

I feel your pain... pre paying for a service plan was a bad idea in your current situation. Try to refund what you paid if you can. That's a lesson learned... Always have a smart escape plan from any agreement (car related)...

Anyway regarding the brake issue, we are here and we will find the root cause for the issue. Just relax and you will see the results in the near future. My point at the end don't ruin your enjoyment for your beautiful XC60 for a small mistake that Volvo or its supplier have done.
      The service plan is minor. It's just yet more salt to add to an already festered wound. Love the vehicle. Hate the dealers and the company. Nothing can change that at this point.

And that's the bottom line really.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

I've been driving the same way for 30 years. Even on a previous gen XC60. Even on other Volvos.

This suggests to me that the parts play a role rather than the driver.

So, rather than discuss the parts as inferior (which I believe they are or at least some of them in the wild are), I took issue with the fact that I got lousy service and lousy response from both Volvo dealer and Volvo corporate. The salt in that would was two-fold. One, that they covered brakes and rotors on other people as displayed here on SS and also on other places like Facebook. Two, that as a long-time owner I was not given the same consideration.

I tried multiple times with both dealer and corporate to explain that scenario. It became obvious they just did not care about my concerns.

So, therefore, I will not be buying another Volvo.

The service plan is minor. It's just yet more salt to add to an already festered wound. Love the vehicle. Hate the dealers and the company. Nothing can change that at this point.

And that's the bottom line really.
      Sure, you have been driving the same way for 30 years. But comparing different cars with different braking systems is not apples to apples.

Yes, previous generations of Volvo's (with different braking systems) had brakes that lasted longer. But I see SPA vehicles with a rather large range of brake life. Like I said, I've seen them worn out around 13k miles. And I've seen them last over 45k miles. Same parts. Same car. Different drivers.

People who come here and say they got them covered might have had the wear and tear package or might have gotten them covered not because of wear but because of noise. To many customers, they hear squealing brakes and they equate that to being worn out. So they take it in, we replace the pads and rotors under warranty and in their mind, Volvo just warrantied worn out brakes. When in reality, the pads had 95% life left.

350% difference NO COMMENT
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Yeah good dealers are rare unfortunately...

Sure, you have been driving the same way for 30 years. But comparing different cars with different braking systems is not apples to apples.

Yes, previous generations of Volvo's (with different braking systems) had brakes that lasted longer. But I see SPA vehicles with a rather large range of brake life. Like I said, I've seen them worn out around 13k miles. And I've seen them last over 45k miles. Same parts. Same car. Different drivers.

People who come here and say they got them covered might have had the wear and tear package or might have gotten them covered not because of wear but because of noise. To many customers, they hear squealing brakes and they equate that to being worn out. So they take it in, we replace the pads and rotors under warranty and in their mind, Volvo just warrantied worn out brakes. When in reality, the pads had 95% life left.
      Every one of these except the first one was taken from SS. I even have you listed in here but didn't bother uploading it because it seems silly to show you your own words.

The point is that I didn't wear these brakes out. I'm not alone in this scenario. If I were, I could see the point of not bothering with me and that I would be a loony tune.

My point is that this is not the first time this has happened and certainly isn't the last time. This is still an ongoing problem.

It does not matter if you see it one way or not. This is ... and I honestly hate to suggest this... Volvo's Red Ring of Death that Microsoft had on so many Xbox 360s back in the day. It may not be /as/ common as the RROD but this is still a hardware issue and not a usage issue...

It can be handwaved away that other makers have this issue but that suggests to me that the same poor components are put into use among several manufacturers.

Again, poor dealers and poor manufacturer response. Volvo corporate wanted me to schedule another visit so they could oversee the process from the beginning... huh? Schedule another visit to look at my already repaired brakes? Oh, that makes a lot of sense Volvo.

Attachment 61457

Attachment 61459

XC60_Brakes_004.jpg

XC60_Brakes_005.jpg

XC60_Brakes_007.jpg

XC60_Brakes_008.jpg

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Not sure why the system is choking on these. They work fine in preview.

XC60_Brakes_002.jpgXC60_Brakes_001.jpg

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

None of those show anyone who had worn out brakes.

This literally happens in every SPA brake thread. Someone complains about having worn out brakes and a bunch of people chime in and bring up other brake issues (pulsation or squeaking) and then everyone assumes its all the same.
      Last edited by Tech; 05-26-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Every one shows bad rotors.

Secondly, some say bad brake pads.

Not sure what your definition of worn out brakes is...

But rotor damage early is a problem apparently.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Not sure why the system is choking on these. They work fine in preview.

XC60_Brakes_002.jpgXC60_Brakes_001.jpg
      Use Tapatalk app...

Worn out means just that- worn out. Metal to metal contact or 2mm of pad life remaining.

None of those show anyone who had worn out brakes.

This literally happens in every SPA brake thread. Someone complains about having worn out brakes and a bunch of people chime in and bring up other brake issues (pulsation or squeaking) and then everyone assumes its all the same.
      Maybe it happens in every thread because there's a poor problem in general.

I never mentioned pulsating and squealing and had no mention of an assumption of "same".

My responses have simply been how my scenario as handled by Volvo dealer and Volvo corporate.

The OP asked if Volvo brakes... *** looks up exact statement ***

I have a 2018, and the car didn't make it 20k miles before they're telling me they're all in need of replacements.

Is this common for such a heavy car in mostly city conditions?
      To which I responded about my scenario of 20k miles and needed replacements.

I don't see a deviation from topic.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

Every one shows bad rotors.

Secondly, some say bad brake pads.

Not sure what your definition of worn out brakes is...

But rotor damage early is a problem apparently.
      From what I have read on the web that brake pads deposits or excessive heat are the main causes for warped rotors. This is what currently I'm invistigating by changing to Akebono brake pads. I will test how long they will last and how long it will take the rotors to be warped again.

Note: I will resurface the current OEM Volvo rotors when installing the Akebono brake pads.

OP never explained why he needed brakes. Squealing? "Warping"? Worn out?

That's also why these go all over the place.

Since he is paying for them, I assumed worn out.

OP never explained why he needed brakes. Squealing? "Warping"? Worn out?

That's also why these go all over the place.

Since he is paying for them, I assumed worn out.
      I think for point of evaluation, it doesn't matter why the brakes failed. The issue was that they failed. Diving deeper into it after a determination is helpful but only as a followup.

The point is that the brakes failed early... as seems to be a fairly normal scenario with this vehicle. Maybe... and I'm willing to concede this point... "normal" is a bit of a problem word. Perhaps it's better to say this kind of failure is becoming more common.

Nerd23, your diligence is appreciated. Volvo needs to take notice.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

It is absolutely important why they were replaced. If they wore out, which is what I've been speaking of, then that is a normal result of use. I've seen them wear out at various mileages, which points more to the driver.

If they were "warped", then that isn't necessarily normal and your point about inferior parts is more valid, though I'm not sure that is 100% of the cause.

I was told mine were warped, if that matters to you.

Where I'm coming from, it doesn't matter. Ruined brakes are ruined brakes.

But I see your point and this is probably a deviation on an issue which none of us will ever know definitively. Without gathering that specific type of information in a post initially, knowing the root cause will never happen. It's left to conjecture.

What I was specifically told, however, is that my pads were "bad" and warped my rotors. Was that just a poor communication between my SA and myself?

Brake pads being worn at this kind of an interval is problematic to me.

And here's why.

I brake at the very last minute. I hate when people brake on a freeway or any time at high speeds so I refrain from braking at those speeds unless necessary.

It's a peeve of mine.

What I'm telling you is that if the pads wore out in the way I used them to brake, these are poor brakes. Especially since I do not have any active braking technology on this XC60.

2006 S60 Willow Green
      2008 S40 Barents Blue
      2019 XC60 Osmium Grey

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast