Off-Lease Purchase: VOLVO Certification
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hello!

Our lease is about done and we're considering purchasing our 2016 XC90 as it has been rather problem free. Our dealer has a certification process for $1499.00 which is a 170 point vehicle inspection to make it a certified pre-owned VOLVO. Has anyone does this? What's your experience? We've been on top of all scheduled and unscheduled maintenance and hopefully not expecting any bombshells. Even if something comes up, we're under 4 years/50,000 miles, so wouldn't that be covered under warranty? Brake pads was replace a few months ago. Rotors are still from the factory. Tire tread is probably the only question mark.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks!
      V I L M A
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum+ [4/16 Build - Delivered Sep 2016]
      Onyx Black & Amber
      Polestar✦ | 20"s | Convenience | Vision | Climate w/ HUD | Bowers&Wilkins | Towing Pkg | Booster | Protection Plus | Apple CarPlay | Pilot Assist 2 | IntelliSafe Support Upgrade

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

$1,499 sounds expensive for an extra year of warranty coverage. I would ask how much the inspection by itself would be... then pending the outcome, have any identified items fixed under the existing warranty and roll the dice for the next year. Tires are considered a wear item, so they wouldn't be covered regardless.

Suggest that you call Steingold Volvo and get a quote on an extended warranty. Their prices are very competitive. Be sure to ask for the Swedespeed discount.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by asaldworth View Post
      $1,499 sounds expensive for an extra year of warranty coverage. I would ask how much the inspection by itself would be... then pending the outcome, have any identified items fixed under the existing warranty and roll the dice for the next year. Tires are considered a wear item, so they wouldn't be covered regardless.
      Itís 5 years and unlimited miles added to the factory warranty.
      V I L M A
      Onyx Black & Amber
      Polestar✦ | 20"s | Convenience | Vision | Climate w/ HUD | Bowers&Wilkins | Towing Pkg | Booster | Protection Plus | Apple CarPlay | Pilot Assist 2 | IntelliSafe Support Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by SCwires View Post
      Suggest that you call Steingold Volvo and get a quote on an extended warranty. Their prices are very competitive. Be sure to ask for the Swedespeed discount.
      How does that work if Iím not close to Rhode Island?
      V I L M A
      Onyx Black & Amber

Quote Originally Posted by gmoney View Post
      How does that work if Iím not close to Rhode Island?
      Extended warranty works at any dealership, and can be bought online. (Payment, signatures etc are done online.)
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

We bought our 2016 back in June. The CPO was $895 and required another $100 charge for the inspection, so the total was around a grand. We wound up not doing it because when we added in the dealer conveyance fee and other dealer fees it was around $1800 more than just buying it straight from Volvo and the extra cost didn’t seem worth one additional year of coverage.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by asaldworth View Post
      It’s 5 years and unlimited miles added to the factory warranty.
      It’s 5 years from the original in service date which makes it only an additional year
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package

Getting a warranty on a 2016 is a good idea. Ours only had minor issues since we got it back in March. I didn't know about Steingold and forum discount beforehand so I ended up paying for CPO. Cost was about 1500 if I remember. Adds 1 year, unlimited miles. After CPO is up I will keep warranty going just because I know I am in the affected range of engines for the piston failure.

5 years from in service date bud...you are about to get took.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      5 years from in service date bud...you are about to get took.
      Yeah I was WAYYY OFF. TGTBT. Iím at 39k miles so Iíll have 11k mi or 9 months on the factory warranty, whichever comes first. At that point I could just add the warranty then if we still keep the vehicle, and shop around for the best price for the certification to cover up to 5 years, if itís still worth it.

Thanks for the clarification & input!
      V I L M A
      Onyx Black & Amber

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
      Getting a warranty on a 2016 is a good idea. Ours only had minor issues since we got it back in March. I didn't know about Steingold and forum discount beforehand so I ended up paying for CPO. Cost was about 1500 if I remember. Adds 1 year, unlimited miles. After CPO is up I will keep warranty going just because I know I am in the affected range of engines for the piston failure.
      How can I check if my VIN is in the affected range?
      V I L M A
      Onyx Black & Amber

This was a bad assumption and I was very wrong. SMH.
      V I L M A
      Onyx Black & Amber

It’s 5 years and unlimited miles added to the factory warranty.
      This was a bad assumption and I was very wrong. SMH.
      Volvo used to have a much better CPO warranty where you got an additional 3 years and I think it went up to 100k miles. With the SPA cars, I’m sure due to the expense of repairs and the potential reliability problems from a new platform, they changed it making it much less desirable.

Buy the car directly from Volvo Financial. It will save you all the dealer fees, in my case around $800, and you can put that towards an extended warranty if you want. You can get the buyout amount online and send them a check. We’ve done it twice and it’s very easy.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS

No. A CPO = 5 years / unlimited miles from in service date. Meaning the car is most likely certified until 2021. An extra year.

Quote Originally Posted by xSpecBx View Post
      Buy the car directly from Volvo Financial. It will save you all the dealer fees, in my case around $800, and you can put that towards an extended warranty if you want. You can get the buyout amount online and send them a check. Weíve done it twice and itís very easy.
      I called Volvo financial just last week because MY17 XC90 T8 lease ends in February and I want buy the car. They told me they don't offer loans to those buying out their lease so I would have to get a loan elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdedson View Post
      I called Volvo financial just last week because MY17 XC90 T8 lease ends in February and I want buy the car. They told me they don't offer loans to those buying out their lease so I would have to get a loan elsewhere.
      We bought both our cars outright that we leased so I canít help you there, but if that is the case Volvo probably wouldnít give you the best loan rate anyway.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS

I just went through the whole process. VCFS doesnít offer loans for used car. You would find a lender yourself and ask VCFS for a buyout packet, which is nothing but 3 pages of paper so your lender would finalize the loan with it and send a check to VCFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was WAYYY OFF. TGTBT. Iím at 39k miles so Iíll have 11k mi or 9 months on the factory warranty, whichever comes first. At that point I could just add the warranty then if we still keep the vehicle, and shop around for the best price for the certification to cover up to 5 years, if itís still worth it.

Thanks for the clarification & input!
      The pricing for a Volvo VIP extended warranty is on a sliding scale, based on vehicle age, current mileage, coverage period/miles desired, and deductible desired. Miles and duration started running on the day I purchased mine. I was told that if I waited until after the factory warranty expired, not only would the purchase cost be higher, but I would need to get a vehicle inspection done prior to coverage.

You can have the retailer transact your purchase, certify it and then get any special APR that may come with it. You can also extend the warranty, 6,7,8,9 or 10 years from the in service date, unlimited miles or 100,000 miles.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by drzdbd View Post
      I just went through the whole process. VCFS doesnít offer loans for used car. You would find a lender yourself and ask VCFS for a buyout packet, which is nothing but 3 pages of paper so your lender would finalize the loan with it and send a check to VCFS.

That is incorrect. VCFS will do a loan on pre-owned Volvos. They will not finance if you buy directly from them.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      That is incorrect. VCFS will do a loan on pre-owned Volvos. They will not finance if you buy directly from them.
      That is interesting. They simply told me they couldnít offer a loan if I would buy out my current lease. So in order to get a loan the car would have to be listed as dealer inventory first?

Last edited by drzdbd; 12-21-2019 at 04:15 PM.

To my knowledge Volvo won't certify an off lease vehicle for a customer buying it who was the lessor. Not that there might not be a way to do it... but that would be against the rules of the program. I've tried to do it for customers before and Volvo says they won't certify a car going into the same owners name. So even if the dealer bought it out, they couldn't just turn around and sell it to the same person. And even if they did, the cost for the base certification, any shop time and things needed to make it pass would add to the sale price, and $1495 is well under cost for the 5 year extension... so none of that makes sense to me and would raise some red flags. That that a dealer can't shoot themselves in the foot and offer this until they get caught while you get off with a pretty solid deal, but IDK.. it doesn't sound right to me. I would guess they're bending the rules and the $1494 is just for the base certification, not a 5 year extension.. but it would make it eligible for an extension. I'll see what I can dig up CPO rules wise, things do change so maybe I missed something.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Forum Sponsor
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      To my knowledge Volvo won't certify an off lease vehicle for a customer buying it who was the lessor. Not that there might not be a way to do it... but that would be against the rules of the program. I've tried to do it for customers before and Volvo says they won't certify a car going into the same owners name. So even if the dealer bought it out, they couldn't just turn around and sell it to the same person. And even if they did, the cost for the base certification, any shop time and things needed to make it pass would add to the sale price, and $1495 is well under cost for the 5 year extension... so none of that makes sense to me and would raise some red flags. That that a dealer can't shoot themselves in the foot and offer this until they get caught while you get off with a pretty solid deal, but IDK.. it doesn't sound right to me. I would guess they're bending the rules and the $1494 is just for the base certification, not a 5 year extension.. but it would make it eligible for an extension. I'll see what I can dig up CPO rules wise, things do change so maybe I missed something.
      For CPO Upgrades, purchase online below, and use promocode SWEDESPEEDCPO for your $500 discount!

https://vip.steingold.com/shop/vip-c...lvo-upgrades/8

Quote Originally Posted by SteingoldVolvoCars View Post
      For CPO Upgrades, purchase online below, and use promocode SWEDESPEEDCPO for your $500 discount!

https://vip.steingold.com/shop/vip-c...lvo-upgrades/8

I'm not sure why you quoted me there... do you have some more insight?

I used your site for a quick quote on a 2016 XC90 with $100 deductible (easier than pulling my own system up!) and you have it listed for $3183, and $2683 with Sweedspeed discount... which lines up with my expectations and your reputation for a straight forward price..

So that reinforces what I said about the $1495 pricing not making sense for a 5 year extension. It also doesn't address if you're allowed to certify for a customer who is buying out their lease. I double checked with our used car guy and he felt the same, but I'll try to find documentation for this too. Would be great if we could! I love offering folks a better deal to keep them happy. It's not really in Volvo's interest though because they'd rather you lease another new one.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      I'm not sure why you quoted me there... do you have some more insight?

I used your site for a quick quote on a 2016 XC90 with $100 deductible (easier than pulling my own system up!) and you have it listed for $3183, and $2683 with Sweedspeed discount... which lines up with my expectations and your reputation for a straight forward price..

So that reinforces what I said about the $1495 pricing not making sense for a 5 year extension. It also doesn't address if you're allowed to certify for a customer who is buying out their lease. I double checked with our used car guy and he felt the same, but I'll try to find documentation for this too. Would be great if we could! I love offering folks a better deal to keep them happy. It's not really in Volvo's interest though because they'd rather you lease another new one.
      Just a side point, but the 5 year / unlimited mile CPO isn't a 5 year extension. It basically adds an extra year to the factory warranty and eliminates the mileage requirement. I.E. A brand new car would get 4 yrs / 50,000. A CPO would get 5 years / unlimited miles beginning at the date of in server.

The VIP Certified by Volvo upgrade allows up to an additional 5 years / unlimited miles (meaning 10 years / unlimited miles) from the in service date.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Just a side point, but the 5 year / unlimited mile CPO isn't a 5 year extension. It basically adds an extra year to the factory warranty and eliminates the mileage requirement. I.E. A brand new car would get 4 yrs / 50,000. A CPO would get 5 years / unlimited miles beginning at the date of in server.

The VIP Certified by Volvo upgrade allows up to an additional 5 years / unlimited miles (meaning 10 years / unlimited miles) from the in service date.
      All the years quoted are from in service date. VIP doesn't tack on another 5 years, that's too good to be true.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

Quote Originally Posted by drzdbd View Post
      That is interesting. They simply told me they couldnít offer a loan if I would buy out my current lease. So in order to get a loan the car would have to be listed as dealer inventory first?

That is different. Buying your own lease, still ties the car to you with no retailer transaction involved, hence, what hey told you is correct. In order for VCFS to finance a car like yours, the retailer would have to purchase it first. In order for the retailer to be able to purchase it first, you will have to surrender the lease (according to VCFS rules) and the retailer will have to ďground itĒ. Then, the retailer has a minimum of 24 hrs of exclusive rights to purchase this car but, very important here, the purchase price will probably be a bit higher than your buyout price you ere quoted. So, in all likelihood, this would kill the scenario you were thinking.

Then, and only then (after the retailer purchases it from Volvo) can the retailer start the process of Certificatiin (170+ point inspection, CarFax check, etc) and apply the standard 5-yr/unlimited mileage CPO warranty.

That is correct; the unlimited mileage plans can also be offered with a 100,000-mile limit for a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      All the years quoted are from in service date. VIP doesn't tack on another 5 years, that's too good to be true.
      Depends. Let's say you bought a 2017 V60 with an in service date of June 2016 in June 2018. The 5 year CPO would run to June 2021 with unlimited miles. The 10 year / unlimited mile CPO extension would add 5 full years to the date when the CPO expired. Meaning the 10 yr / unlimited mile now runs to June 2026.

The person would get the benefit of 3 years CPO (June 2018 to June 2021) and 5 Years of the CPO extension (June 2021 to June 2026).

FYI: I made a thread on the merits of the Appearance Package VIP. At least Dentwizard Sucks. Don't know how up and up Fidelity is on their warranties. So this is merely informative and by no means an endorsement of these policies.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      That is correct; the unlimited mileage plans can also be offered with a 100,000-mile limit for a lower price.
      Merits of these policies aside, I would say that most going for a 10 year would probably opt for unlimited. With the exception being those who don't drive much. 10,000 / yr is a pretty conservative amount of driving for most - 833 miles / month.. Though for older people, that might fit their lifestyle.

Merits of these policies aside, I would say that most going for a 10 year would probably opt for unlimited. With the exception being those who don't drive much. 10,000 / yr is a pretty conservative amount of driving for most - 833 miles / month.. Though for older people, that might fit their lifestyle.
      Yes, that is correct.

These are still from the in service date, so no one should fool themselves thinking that getting a 5 year plan tacks to the end.
      Last edited by inteller; 12-22-2019 at 12:51 PM.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

There seems to be a great deal of confusion here. Earlier this month, I purchased, from a Volvo dealer, a Volvo VIP extended warranty for my 2016 XC60, which I purchased new.

Here are the terms from the contract:

SERVICE CONTRACT PERIOD: Coverage under this Service Contract begins on theSERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE and the CURRENT ODOMETER READING shown on this Service Contract. Coverage under this Service Contract expires: (1) based on TERM or MILEAGE (as shown on this Service Contract), whichever comes first; or (2) if/when the aggregate total of benefits paid/payable under the Service Contract exceeds the limits as set forth in the LIMITS OF LIABILITY section.

Quote Originally Posted by SCwires View Post
      There seems to be a great deal of confusion here. Earlier this month, I purchased, from a Volvo dealer, a Volvo VIP extended warranty for my 2016 XC60, which I purchased new.

Here are the terms from the contract:

SERVICE CONTRACT PERIOD: Coverage under this Service Contract begins on theSERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE and the CURRENT ODOMETER READING shown on this Service Contract. Coverage under this Service Contract expires: (1) based on TERM or MILEAGE (as shown on this Service Contract), whichever comes first; or (2) if/when the aggregate total of benefits paid/payable under the Service Contract exceeds the limits as set forth in the LIMITS OF LIABILITY section.
      Did you buy the VIP extended warranty or the VIP CPO extended warranty? I believe these opearate differently.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-23-2019 at 05:55 PM.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast