Off-Lease Purchase: VOLVO Certification - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Did you buy the VIP extended warranty or the VIP extended warranty? I believe these opearate differently.
      Huh?? You asked me the same question twice.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SCwires View Post
      Huh?? You asked me the same question twice.
      Sorry I forgot a word. VIP extended Warranty or VIP CPO extended Warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      All the years quoted are from in service date. VIP doesn't tack on another 5 years, that's too good to be true.

YES IT DOES!!!!!

It's the reason I got an XC90 vs. other choices.

My CPO 2017 was going to be covered until 2022 under standard CPO warranty... adding on VIP to 10 years - TEN! - with UNLIMITED miles... which cost about $2600 after discount.

The most no brainer $2600 bet I'll ever make... just takes one majorish issue over the next SEVEN years and approx. 210K miles I'm going to drive (I clock 30K/year). And if I decide I want to move on to something else... that bet will hold incredible value for me as it's fully transferable.

I swear.. get in on this before those guys in Sweden come out of the aquavit fueled bender they must have been on to approve of this idea in the first place.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

You bought 10 and got 5, because it starts FROM THE IN SERVICE DATE. You act like you bought 5 and got 10 and that is simply not true.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by inteller; 12-23-2019 at 07:37 PM.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Sorry I forgot a word. VIP extended Warranty or VIP CPO extended Warranty.

I bought the VIP extended warranty.
      2016 XC60 T5 FWD OSD (May 2016), 6 countries, 2500km

You bought 10 and got 5, because it starts FROM THE IN SERVICE DATE. You act like you bought 5 and got 10 and that is simply not true.

You're buying coverage to a point in time... up to ten years past the in service date. Fighting over the semantics isn't really useful. I don't think anyone doesn't understand what they have or are getting (now that the OP got their situation sorted out).

I still don't think you can add CPO to your lease when you buy it out... I'm not good at finding Volvo documentation out side my direct lane of need to know though.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

I bought a CPO car which gave me the extra year from ISD; it also enabled me to invest the additional $ to extend that coverage to 10 years/unlimited.

So I BOUGHT an extra 5 years... to give me a total of SEVEN years of coverage on this used car - till 2027 - with unlimited miles. The Platinum CPO extension has a few wear exclusions (catalytic converter, exhaust, etc.) that is probably different from the "base" CPO but I'm less worried about that and more concerned with the high future cost of an AWD failure, air suspension failure or this massively blown 4 cylinder crapping the bed on turbo or supercharger. And of course, those electronic gremlins that show up later in a car's life.. that stuff is covered. Pretty important for a car so highly dependent on the Sensus for everyday stuff.

Complete no brainer purchase and unequaled in CPO programs.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
      All the years quoted are from in service date. VIP doesn't tack on another 5 years, that's too good to be true.

YES IT DOES!!!!!

It's the reason I got an XC90 vs. other choices.

My CPO 2017 was going to be covered until 2022 under standard CPO warranty... adding on VIP to 10 years - TEN! - with UNLIMITED miles... which cost about $2600 after discount.

The most no brainer $2600 bet I'll ever make... just takes one majorish issue over the next SEVEN years and approx. 210K miles I'm going to drive (I clock 30K/year). And if I decide I want to move on to something else... that bet will hold incredible value for me as it's fully transferable.

I swear.. get in on this before those guys in Sweden come out of the aquavit fueled bender they must have been on to approve of this idea in the first place.
      You don't get a full 10 years as Intellar is explaining in that the CPO start date begins when car was put inoto service.

So your 2017 runs till 2022. But you didnt buy new at the in service date. Maybe you bought the 2017 in 2018 or 2019 meaning you got 3 or 4 yrs of the Factory CPO.

Then you could buy up to a 10 year /unlimited mile VIP EXTENDED CPO WARRANTY.

Meaning after 2022 you get 5 years. For a total of 8 or 9 years of warranty out of the total 10 yrs.

You don't get a full 10 years as Intellar is explaining in that the CPO start date begins when car was put inoto service.

So your 2017 runs till 2022. But you didnt buy new at the in service date. Maybe you bought the 2017 in 2018 or 2019 meaning you got 3 or 4 yrs of the Factory CPO.

Then you could buy up to a 10 year /unlimited mile VIP EXTENDED CPO WARRANTY.

Meaning after 2022 you get 5 years. For a total of 8 or 9 years of warranty out of the total 10 yrs.
      Are you guys dense? Can you not read?

I know it's not an INCREMENTAL 10 years.

It's stated in the COMMON way to talk about CPO coverage. I also referenced the coverage as seven incremental years to 2027 in that post.

LET ME RESTATE IT FOR YOU. I HAVE WARRANTY COVERAGE UNTIL 2027, NO MILEAGE LIMIT. FOR A CAR I BOUGHT LAST WEEK. I DRIVE 30K MILES/YEAR. PRETTY FREAKING AWESOME.
      Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-23-2019 at 08:11 PM.

I got 10 years unlimited. My MY19 XC60 went in service in March and I got it in June. CPO VIP is in effect until 2029. I put 178K mikes on my last XC60, and paid way more in repairs that what the VIP CPO costs.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
      Are you guys dense? Can you not read?

I know it's not an INCREMENTAL 10 years.

It's stated in the COMMON way to talk about CPO coverage. I also referenced the coverage as seven incremental years to 2027 in that post.

LET ME RESTATE IT FOR YOU. I HAVE WARRANTY COVERAGE UNTIL 2027, NO MILEAGE LIMIT. FOR A CAR I BOUGHT LAST WEEK. I DRIVE 30K MILES/YEAR. PRETTY FREAKING AWESOME.
      Sigh you're the one being dense. You aren't reading what we've wrote. You bought a 10 year / unlimited mile VIP Extended CPO Warranty. This warranty is 3 YRS remaining on Factory CPO + 5 Additional Years. Totaling 8 years you get benefit - No Mileage Restriction.

If it were truly a 10 year extended warranty, it'd be gone UNTIL 2029.

Dear lord....

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I got 10 years unlimited. My MY19 XC60 went in service in March and I got it in June. CPO VIP is in effect until 2029. I put 178K mikes on my last XC60, and paid way more in repairs that what the VIP CPO costs.
      That's pretty rare. I bought a CPO loaner in May 2016 that went into service June 2015. Back then it was the 7 yr / 100K CPO. So when I bought the car 73 months out of 84 remained. And 98,000 since car had 2,000 on the odometer at purchase.

Now of course, the new warranty is 5 yrs / unlimited mileage from IN SERVICE date. You got extremely lucky to find a vehicle flipped over from New --> CPO with such a short life.

Sigh you're the one being dense. You aren't reading what we've wrote. You bought a 10 year / unlimited mile VIP Extended CPO Warranty. This warranty is 3 YRS remaining on Factory CPO + 5 Additional Years. Totaling 8 years you get benefit - No Mileage Restriction.

If it were truly a 10 year extended warranty, it'd be gone UNTIL 2029.

Dear lord....
      Dude, are you for real?

I'm completely aware of what I bought and how many years its in effect. TWICE I've stated it's good till 2027 which is 10 years from the inservice date for my car.

And It's an ADDITIONAL 5 years on top of the base CPO warranty that I have, which would have expired in 2022.

You literally told me I'm being dense when all you did is repeat what I said THAT YOU QUOTED.

Dear Lord. I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

For whatever it’s worth, Granite, I knew right from the get go what you meant so I hope that restores some of your sanity
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

That's pretty rare. I bought a CPO loaner in May 2016 that went into service June 2015. Back then it was the 7 yr / 100K CPO. So when I bought the car 73 months out of 84 remained. And 98,000 since car had 2,000 on the odometer at purchase.

Now of course, the new warranty is 5 yrs / unlimited mileage from IN SERVICE date. You got extremely lucky to find a vehicle flipped over from New --> CPO with such a short life.
      It’s becoming more common now, as many retailers Certify MY18s and MY19s.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

I hunted the CPO site for 8 months for the right one within 500 miles of me. Got lucky that I found almost exactly what I wanted and it was only 220 miles away.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      ...Volvo says they won't certify a car going into the same owners name.....
      Yet another reason to be married. YOU lease, your SPOUSE buys....
      -Red

How do you say it's pretty rare? My entire used car lot is full of them.

I'm from a fairly small rooftop... we have 29 used Volvos showing in stock. Only two are too old for current CPO that would have been caught under the old program. 10 of these are from our loaner fleet. I have another 16 currently in the fleet as well (not listed as used on the website at the moment, but they will be certified when retired). So right up front, 1/3 of my used stock is 6-8 months old... so to lean in your direction 4 years unlimited miles left, compared to new 4 year 50k...

Then we get the short term rental cars. They come in typically about a year old and with 20k-30k miles on them. They also have about 4 years and unlimited miles.

Next is the off lease vehicles. While these are often 3 years... many are 2.5 thanks to Volvo's pull ahead program. They typically have 30k-50k miles on em. They have 2 years and unlimited miles.

Now most folks who do their math, don't buy a car and trade it in so quickly, so we don't see many trades in this cycle... but that's because leasing usually makes more sense if you are on a shorter term ownership cycle. Frankly this math carries out to the 6-8 year mark.

All of these are eligible for an additional 5 years (10 year vehicle life total) and unlimited miles. It's funny how you insist on fighting people over calling it a 10 year warranty but you also insist on the old 100k warranty... From a logical perspective, it's the same nomenclature... vehicle 10 year and vehicle 100k... I mean, shouldn't you insist on calling it a 40k warranty, or 80k warranty if you're going to be consistent?
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

because you are buying 10 to get 5, not buying 5 to get 5. If you bought 5 to get 5 you'd actually get nothing.

the great thing about the old CPO is when someone traded in a 2 yo car and it got certified, the next guy got 5 for nothing....which was still 3 more than even a non CPO.

currently have 32k on my 2016. I'll never hit the 100k before the years, but I know well that all the age related bull**** with these drive-es will start rearing their ungly heads about year 6 and Volvo is going to eat some big bills.
      Last edited by inteller; 12-26-2019 at 09:21 AM.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

because you are buying 10 to get 5, not buying 5 to get 5. If you bought 5 to get 5 you'd actually get nothing.
      Yeah and everyone gets that... But it's sold by Volvo as a 120 month plan... It's a 120 month warranty if you look at the contract when you buy it. Insisting that we all refer to it as only what you get is very confusing because it would be different for pretty much everyone's transaction. Volvo also won't sell you a 60 month CPO warranty.... because that's just what a CPO warranty is by default. A dealership might market it differently and offer to certify the car for a price, as the OP suggested, but that's outside the design parameters of the CPO program to begin with. A Volvo should be CPO or not... it shouldn't be sitting on a lot with the option to add CPO to it.. that hurts the brand, and it hurts customers who are shopping online by price and unfamiliar with such practices.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

A Volvo should be CPO or not... it shouldn't be sitting on a lot with the option to add CPO to it.. that hurts the brand, and it hurts customers who are shopping online by price and unfamiliar with such practices.
      LOL, that's just not the way the world works. Volvo would love for it to work that way....I can tell you that if a customer walks in and wants a sitting car that isn't CPO to become CPO that dealer will do it in a heartbeat to make a sale.
      2006 Passion Red S60R

LOL, that's just not the way the world works. Volvo would love for it to work that way....I can tell you that if a customer walks in and wants a sitting car that isn't CPO to become CPO that dealer will do it in a heartbeat to make a sale.
      I get that... the right thing to do is the pay for and have the car up to certification ahead of time. It's how it's been done at every dealership/brand I've worked at over the years, and I recognize different regions have different customer expectations to how dealerships operate. Big cities seem to run things a little looser. Commented more for the off chance someone shopping never considered that game so they know to ask! A dealership that has all their inventory certified ahead of time will by nature likely be asking more upfront. In this age of internet shopping, customers need to be educated in how some places work the angles.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

And that's exactly why most dealerships dont certify up front because they sink their costs into the car and as such cant work with the margins as freely.

I know when looking for mine, most of these honest john dealerships that had already cpo'd the car wouldnt budge on price. I got lucky and found a place that had just finished certifying mine and wanted a quick sale.

2006 Passion Red S60R

How do you say it's pretty rare? My entire used car lot is full of them.

I'm from a fairly small rooftop... we have 29 used Volvos showing in stock. Only two are too old for current CPO that would have been caught under the old program. 10 of these are from our loaner fleet. I have another 16 currently in the fleet as well (not listed as used on the website at the moment, but they will be certified when retired). So right up front, 1/3 of my used stock is 6-8 months old... so to lean in your direction 4 years unlimited miles left, compared to new 4 year 50k...

Then we get the short term rental cars. They come in typically about a year old and with 20k-30k miles on them. They also have about 4 years and unlimited miles.

Next is the off lease vehicles. While these are often 3 years... many are 2.5 thanks to Volvo's pull ahead program. They typically have 30k-50k miles on em. They have 2 years and unlimited miles.

Now most folks who do their math, don't buy a car and trade it in so quickly, so we don't see many trades in this cycle... but that's because leasing usually makes more sense if you are on a shorter term ownership cycle. Frankly this math carries out to the 6-8 year mark.

All of these are eligible for an additional 5 years (10 year vehicle life total) and unlimited miles. It's funny how you insist on fighting people over calling it a 10 year warranty but you also insist on the old 100k warranty... From a logical perspective, it's the same nomenclature... vehicle 10 year and vehicle 100k... I mean, shouldn't you insist on calling it a 40k warranty, or 80k warranty if you're going to be consistent?
      What the heck are you talking about? Maybe you quoted the wrong post of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I was referring to RootDKJ who bought a 2019 XC60 with an in service date of March 2019 and purchased in June 2019 as a CPO. I said MOST CPO's have some shelf life (maybe a year or so in service), before being flipped to the CPO lot. Meaning out of the 5 yr / Unlimited you get a 4 yr / unlimited. That getting the full 5 yrs is unlikely. And when I purchased my car, I got 73 months out of the 84 on the old CPO. Again my car had 11 months shelf life.

What you wrote verifies what I stated........

Far as warranties go, adding 10 yr / unlimited miles is $3,221 or $2996 with Steingold's $200 off. Nearly double what I paid ($1,600) for a 7 yr / 100K that didn't exclude consumption and was BACKED by VOLVO. I'm sure you've seen my Appearance Package thread. Volvo Advertises the Appearance Protection Package as a wear and tear......except Dent Wizard claims wear and tear is excluded... and negligence is excluded. And Volvo rep couldn't even point out verbiage in the contract to support the claim (as it doesn't exist). But Volvo towed the Dent Wizard party line.

So excuse my skepticism that these New VIP Extended Contracts / Certified by Volvo Extended Contracts (backed by Fidelity) aren't worth the paper they're printed on these days. Unlike the old CPO, Volvo doesn't hold claim to repairs any longer. And these new contracts:

1. Exclude consumption issues.
      2. I've seen threads where people had a mechanical failure and had to kick and scream to get an engine covered (eventually did).

What's written and advertised sounds good until you try to use the policy and every attempt is made to "stick it to you".
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 12-26-2019 at 10:51 AM.

And that's exactly why most dealerships dont certify up front because they sink their costs into the car and as such cant work with the margins as freely.

I know when looking for mine, most of these honest john dealerships that had already cpo'd the car wouldnt budge on price. I got lucky and found a place that had just finished certifying mine and wanted a quick sale.

Yeah I never sold cars in OK. I know where I am and 50 miles south of me are radically different than here. My perspective is only as good as my experience. Here dealerships generally have the cars certified while they sit on the lots looking for new homes. It certainly puts us at a disadvantage when folks shop price online before visiting, but I do believe it's a better approach so far as customer satisfaction goes, and it is on Volvo's radar.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Best thing to do is try to pit dealer against dealer. I bought the 15.5s right before the 16s came out (was wet under the ears) and I'm sure I paid more than I should if I'd waited another month or two. I needed a car and had been without one for 3 months, so bit the proverbial bullet. Worked out in the end because I got the 7 yr / 100K + wear for free due to a screw up. But looking back, I would definitely contact dealerships U.S. wide and make them earn my business. Which I did, but most weren't budging much, especially on CPO's back then, which is what I bought.

Yeah I never sold cars in OK. I know where I am and 50 miles south of me are radically different than here. My perspective is only as good as my experience. Here dealerships generally have the cars certified while they sit on the lots looking for new homes. It certainly puts us at a disadvantage when folks shop price online before visiting, but I do believe it's a better approach so far as customer satisfaction goes, and it is on Volvo's radar.
      My car came from SC. I always shop nationwide, would never buy local unless they were competitive nationwide.

2006 Passion Red S60R

My car came from SC. I always shop nationwide, would never buy local unless they were competitive nationwide.

Was in Charleston, SC last month and TONS of Volvos driving around! Imagine the plant being located there and high volume help keep sales competitive.

Was in Charleston, SC last month and TONS of Volvos driving around! Imagine the plant being located there and high volume help keep sales competitive.
      This was Greenville and before any plant, but I think now it is probably pretty competitive.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Maybe one or two cases...this wrong practice is coming to a halt as we now inspect ALL retailers every quarter, random cars (much like some other luxury brands do). Violations will incur penalties.
      Last edited by GrecianVolvo; 12-29-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Maybe one or two cases...this wrong practice is coming to a halt as we now inspect ALL retailers every quarter, random cars (much like some other luxury brands do). Violations will incur penalties.
      Playing devil's advocate, how do you force compliance? The CPO program is more or less on the honor system. In a perfect world, dealer puts a vehicle through rigorous inspection and then certifies it for $895. We don't live in a perfect world. Dealers, by your own admission, now have greater incentives to sell CPOs. So what stops a dealer from "slapping on a CPO" at a customer's request in order to make a sale?

Nothing. Dealership franchise laws are so one sided towards the dealer that any of these "penalties" are just blowing smoke. Dealers in the US hold all the cards.

2006 Passion Red S60R

I just bought a 2017 Volvo XC90 with 73,000 KM or 45,000 miles. The warranty expires end of next year or at 80,000 KM. I live in Toronto, Canada so the deals you mention on the forum don't work up here.

The problem is I'm getting some ridiculous prices for a warranty from Volvo Canada, I was getting a 10 year/160,000 KM warranty for $8,000 + tax. A third party was giving me an additional 5 year, 105,000 KM for $5,300 + tax but it's a third party and still more then our neighbor Americans pay for a Volvo VIP warranty.

Does anyone in Canada have a deal for a good extended warranty?

Also, based on the prices, is it even worth getting any of these extended warranties?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lebanesejets View Post
      I just bought a 2017 Volvo XC90 with 73,000 KM or 45,000 miles. The warranty expires end of next year or at 80,000 KM. I live in Toronto, Canada so the deals you mention on the forum don't work up here.

The problem is I'm getting some ridiculous prices for a warranty from Volvo Canada, I was getting a 10 year/160,000 KM warranty for $8,000 + tax. A third party was giving me an additional 5 year, 105,000 KM for $5,300 + tax but it's a third party and still more then our neighbor Americans pay for a Volvo VIP warranty.

Does anyone in Canada have a deal for a good extended warranty?

Also, based on the prices, is it even worth getting any of these extended warranties?

Thanks
      The quote I got from Volvo dealer is $6020 for 8 years/120 KM + HST (13% of tax). Did you end up with purchasing the warranty? Personally, I think it is too pricey.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by taofen_wang View Post
      The quote I got from Volvo dealer is $6020 for 8 years/120 KM + HST (13% of tax). Did you end up with purchasing the warranty? Personally, I think it is too pricey.
      Check vip.steingoldvolvo.com for extended warranty quote. They are the best around. Not sure if applicable in Canada.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast