Polstar upgrade
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 37

    Thread: Polstar upgrade

    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      134

      Polestar upgrade

      This thread was highlighted on today's Swedespeed trending threads email, and I've been thinking about installing Polestar software. Has anyone here compared it to a none-Polestar V90CC T6?

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth..._content=iss63
      Last edited by gak; 08-27-2020 at 07:59 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      792
      Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      This thread was highlighted on today's Swedespeed trending threads email, and I've been thinking about installing Polestar software. Has anyone here compared it to a none-Polestar V90CC T6?

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth..._content=iss63
      I have, and I commented in that thread you linked to. It makes for a very noticeable difference.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      268
      comes with a money back guarantee, if you dont like it, just reflash to stock within 30 days. that being said, it is by far the best reviewed service we offer. about 90% of the time ive installed it, the customer returns to tell me how awesome it is and what a difference it made. compare that to exactly 0% of the time i replace tires, detailing, etc.

      also a lot of dealers have polestar tuned vehicles around to compare with, may be worth checking if your local dealer has one to demo it

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Way South Central PA
      Posts
      134
      Thanks. When I considered adding it to my 2016 3.0 straight six XC60 it was a brand new option for that car. The dealer had nothing I could test, and, at that time there was no 30 day trial period.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      268
      Quote Originally Posted by gak View Post
      Thanks. When I considered adding it to my 2016 3.0 straight six XC60 it was a brand new option for that car. The dealer had nothing I could test, and, at that time there was no 30 day trial period.
      thats too bad, the 3.0 has the biggest gain ive seen for straight numbers (25hp, 29ft lbs) though the drive e i think is a more complete package

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Location
      San Francisco
      Posts
      16
      Just did it this week. So far so good. Gonna do a road trip next weekend to stretch it out. The shift pattern changes along are super nice.

    9. #7
      Administrator chris@swedespeed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2000
      Location
      DC Metro
      Posts
      55,759
      I did a back to back test with my S90 Inscription w/out P* and a V90 R-Design with P*. My S90 felt more responsive/quicker on the low end. There is a minor weight difference favoring the V90 at 4,189lbs and the S90 at 4,222lbs. The V90 had less than a quarter tank of fuel versus the S90 with just a few gallons off full.

      I am wondering if the P* boost curve adjusts upward, softening the low end slightly to strengthen the mid-range. I have not seen real-world dyno results for SPA cars but if I keep my S90 for a bit longer, I will definitely try to get some baseline numbers before/after the P* tune as well as with adding the Vaitrix Booster Pro ECU tuner which is supposed to add 30hp to the stock 316hp and 30hp to the P* tune, resulting in total power around 360hp, close to that of the 2017-2018 S/V60 Polestar cars.
      2016 V60CC Platinum | Beechwood Brown interior swap |
      2016 S60CC Platinum with lowered sport chassis | Polestar Performance Springs |
      20-inch Cratus wheels | Elevate GT5 Exhaust, rear sway bar, brake lines, rear spoiler
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)


      Previous:
      2017 S90 Inscription T6 AWD, 2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Concord, MA
      Posts
      792
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I am wondering if the P* boost curve adjusts upward, softening the low end slightly to strengthen the mid-range. I have not seen real-world dyno results for SPA cars but if I keep my S90 for a bit longer, I will definitely try to get some baseline numbers before/after the P* tune as well as with adding the Vaitrix Booster Pro ECU tuner which is supposed to add 30hp to the stock 316hp and 30hp to the P* tune, resulting in total power around 360hp, close to that of the 2017-2018 S/V60 Polestar cars.
      The low end grunt is coming from the SC, which is mechanically driven, so it's on or it's not. The midrange and above are assisted by a potential increase in turbo boost pressure and/or more aggressive fuel maps.

      In any event, it wouldn't make sense for them to drop the low end as a means to boost the mid-range. It's not a zero-sum game. That also wasn't my experience with my own car, which felt peppier throughout the range, but most notably in mid, low, then high in that order.

    11. #9
      Junior Member choochjb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      NC, USA
      Posts
      94
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I did a back to back test with my S90 Inscription w/out P* and a V90 R-Design with P*. My S90 felt more responsive/quicker on the low end. There is a minor weight difference favoring the V90 at 4,189lbs and the S90 at 4,222lbs. The V90 had less than a quarter tank of fuel versus the S90 with just a few gallons off full.

      I am wondering if the P* boost curve adjusts upward, softening the low end slightly to strengthen the mid-range. I have not seen real-world dyno results for SPA cars but if I keep my S90 for a bit longer, I will definitely try to get some baseline numbers before/after the P* tune as well as with adding the Vaitrix Booster Pro ECU tuner which is supposed to add 30hp to the stock 316hp and 30hp to the P* tune, resulting in total power around 360hp, close to that of the 2017-2018 S/V60 Polestar cars.
      Did you get the Vaitrix yet? It sounds promising, but I really want to hear some customer testimonials. How was the install?
      New Daily Driver: 2018 V90 T6 R-Design - P* Tuned, Passion Red
      Old Daily Driver: 2008 VW MKV GTI - APR Tuned, Candy White
      Backup/Hauler: 2019 Subaru Ascent - LP Aventure Lifted, Abyss Blue Pearl

    12. #10
      Junior Member alfredsun's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      21
      Just installed mine today and I can already feel the difference driving out of the dealer lot.

      Weirdly though it's still saying Dynamic instead of Polestar in the drive mode selection. Perhaps I don't have the May software update yet.
      Last edited by alfredsun; 01-10-2020 at 04:19 PM.
      2019 V90 Cross Country T6 | Magic Blue | Advanced Package | Polestar Optimized
      2019 V60 Inscription T6 | Pebble Grey | Advanced Package | Luxury Package | Polestar Optimized

      2017 V60 Cross Country T5 | Osmium Grey | Convenience Package | SOLD
      2017 GLC300 | In the Process of Lemon

    13. #11
      Junior Member choochjb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      NC, USA
      Posts
      94
      What year is your car? I don't know if it really matters, but mine is the same way and I have an '18.
      New Daily Driver: 2018 V90 T6 R-Design - P* Tuned, Passion Red
      Old Daily Driver: 2008 VW MKV GTI - APR Tuned, Candy White
      Backup/Hauler: 2019 Subaru Ascent - LP Aventure Lifted, Abyss Blue Pearl

    14. #12
      Junior Member alfredsun's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Chicagoland
      Posts
      21
      Mine is a 2019 model, but it was manufactured in Mar 2019 and I bought it in Oct 2019 so probably software update in between is missing.
      2019 V90 Cross Country T6 | Magic Blue | Advanced Package | Polestar Optimized
      2019 V60 Inscription T6 | Pebble Grey | Advanced Package | Luxury Package | Polestar Optimized

      2017 V60 Cross Country T5 | Osmium Grey | Convenience Package | SOLD
      2017 GLC300 | In the Process of Lemon

    15. #13
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,178
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I did a back to back test with my S90 Inscription w/out P* and a V90 R-Design with P*. My S90 felt more responsive/quicker on the low end. There is a minor weight difference favoring the V90 at 4,189lbs and the S90 at 4,222lbs. The V90 had less than a quarter tank of fuel versus the S90 with just a few gallons off full.

      I am wondering if the P* boost curve adjusts upward, softening the low end slightly to strengthen the mid-range. I have not seen real-world dyno results for SPA cars but if I keep my S90 for a bit longer, I will definitely try to get some baseline numbers before/after the P* tune as well as with adding the Vaitrix Booster Pro ECU tuner which is supposed to add 30hp to the stock 316hp and 30hp to the P* tune, resulting in total power around 360hp, close to that of the 2017-2018 S/V60 Polestar cars.
      Chris, in both our S60 and V90 CC, I feel there is a more noticeable difference in the mid-range, especially past 2,800 rpm and all the way to 4,500 rpm...
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2020
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      13
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I did a back to back test with my S90 Inscription w/out P* and a V90 R-Design with P*. My S90 felt more responsive/quicker on the low end. There is a minor weight difference favoring the V90 at 4,189lbs and the S90 at 4,222lbs. The V90 had less than a quarter tank of fuel versus the S90 with just a few gallons off full.

      I am wondering if the P* boost curve adjusts upward, softening the low end slightly to strengthen the mid-range. I have not seen real-world dyno results for SPA cars but if I keep my S90 for a bit longer, I will definitely try to get some baseline numbers before/after the P* tune as well as with adding the Vaitrix Booster Pro ECU tuner which is supposed to add 30hp to the stock 316hp and 30hp to the P* tune, resulting in total power around 360hp, close to that of the 2017-2018 S/V60 Polestar cars.
      Did you get the Vaitrix booster? If so, do you recommend it?

    17. #15
      Junior Member 4nthony's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      17
      I had the Polestar tune installed today and definitely noticed a difference on the freeway driving home. I've had the V90CC for just over a week so I've had some time to get a feel for it pre-Polestar. The best way I can describe the way it drives is the car now feels like it's always ready to go. It wasn't really a slouch before Polestar, but with Polestar, it feels like it's always waiting in the right gear when I wanna get movin'. Saying it's more "responsive" or "zippier" might be cliche, but it's the best way I can think to describe it. That would be my best layman's description

      Drive mode now says Polestar and in the tach it says POLESTAR when selected. I can't find any type of "About" screen in Sensus that lets you know which versions of software are installed.

      In addition to the white badge on the back, I also received a white box that included a fancy piece of aluminum with a picture on it, and a certificate of installation that the dealer didn't fill out. Maybe next I'll get the Polestar keychain in the mail?

      Last edited by 4nthony; 05-27-2020 at 12:58 AM.
      First Volvo - 2020 V90CC Osmium Grey, Polestar

    18. #16
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by 4nthony View Post
      I had the Polestar tune installed today and definitely noticed a difference on the freeway driving home. I've had the V90CC for just over a week so I've had some time to get a feel for it pre-Polestar. The best way I can describe the way it drives is the car now feels like it's always ready to go. It wasn't really a slouch before Polestar, but with Polestar, it feels like it's always waiting in the right gear when I wanna get movin'. Saying it's more "responsive" or "zippier" might be cliche, but it's the best way I can think to describe it. That would be my best layman's description

      Drive mode now says Polestar and in the tach it says POLESTAR when selected. I can't find any type of "About" screen in Sensus that lets you know which versions of software are installed.

      In addition to the white badge on the back, I also received a white box that included a fancy piece of aluminum with a picture on it, and a certificate of installation that the dealer didn't fill out. Maybe next I'll get the Polestar keychain in the mail?
      I got the polestar a few days ago and received same thing as you (white badge and the package). But my dealer didn't mention about the keychain. How to get it?

    19. #17
      Junior Member 4nthony's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by V60-19-NJ View Post
      I got the polestar a few days ago and received same thing as you (white badge and the package). But my dealer didn't mention about the keychain. How to get it?
      I don't know if they still send the keychain. I'd read elsewhere on here that Polestar sent a keychain with a registration certificate, but that might've been the old way (back when you had to register your VIN on the Polestar website).
      Last edited by 4nthony; 05-27-2020 at 11:48 PM.
      First Volvo - 2020 V90CC Osmium Grey, Polestar

    20. #18
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2002
      Location
      McLean, VA
      Posts
      1,155
      The key chain is the old way. Our 2017 XC60 got the P* keychain. I had P* installed this past March on my S90 and it came with the aluminum plaque.
      CURRENT:
      2017 S90 T6 Insciption P*
      2017 XC60 T6 R Design
      2017 XC90 T6 Insciption, OSD
      2007 S80 V8, Process of Being Passed to Next Generation of Volvo Owner/Driver
      1972 280se 4.5 (under going restoration)

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      37
      You'd think that Volvo could at least have a plaque that matches your car model. The promotional freebies are lame. If it's not going to be model specific at least make it useful - eg: a Polestar coffee mug?

    22. #20
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      comes with a money back guarantee, if you dont like it, just reflash to stock within 30 days. that being said, it is by far the best reviewed service we offer. about 90% of the time ive installed it, the customer returns to tell me how awesome it is and what a difference it made. compare that to exactly 0% of the time i replace tires, detailing, etc.

      also a lot of dealers have polestar tuned vehicles around to compare with, may be worth checking if your local dealer has one to demo it
      I keep hearing this, but looking at the numbers the difference ought to be so tiny it isn't noticeable.

      I wonder what explains this.

    23. #21
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by V60-19-NJ View Post
      I got the polestar a few days ago and received same thing as you (white badge and the package). But my dealer didn't mention about the keychain. How to get it?
      What does the white badge look like? Where does it go?

    24. #22
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      268
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I keep hearing this, but looking at the numbers the difference ought to be so tiny it isn't noticeable.

      I wonder what explains this.
      most places you see post max hp. hp in general isnt felt, it is the torque you feel. max hp is at 5500 rpm on a t5 engine, few people are running their cars to redline frequently so the 7 peak hp(3%) number is irrelevant. what is felt is mid range torque, best example is when you pass someone. on same engine, midrange torque goes from 258 to 295 Nm for a gain of 37 Nm(15%) but best part is it happens from 2000 to 4500rpm where you do actually drive every day. add in refinement to transmission and many other areas and it makes for a very complete tuning package but will not hurt mpg emissions or warranty so cant go full crazy like aftermarket tunes can

    25. #23
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      most places you see post max hp. hp in general isnt felt, it is the torque you feel. max hp is at 5500 rpm on a t5 engine, few people are running their cars to redline frequently so the 7 peak hp(3%) number is irrelevant. what is felt is mid range torque, best example is when you pass someone. on same engine, midrange torque goes from 258 to 295 Nm for a gain of 37 Nm(15%) but best part is it happens from 2000 to 4500rpm where you do actually drive every day. add in refinement to transmission and many other areas and it makes for a very complete tuning package but will not hurt mpg emissions or warranty so cant go full crazy like aftermarket tunes can
      I'm aware of the distinction between peak and max, and torque vs HP, but in the end what it all boils down to is how it actually performs.

      For my 2017 S90 T6 the overall 0-100km/h times improve from 5.9s to 5.8s. I am not convinced my (or anyone's) butt is finely calibrated enough to feel a difference of 0.1s

      Considering all the good things I hear, I am interested though.

      It only changes how the car behaves in "dynamic" mode though, right?

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      268
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      I'm aware of the distinction between peak and max, and torque vs HP, but in the end what it all boils down to is how it actually performs.

      For my 2017 S90 T6 the overall 0-100km/h times improve from 5.9s to 5.8s. I am not convinced my (or anyone's) butt is finely calibrated enough to feel a difference of 0.1s

      Considering all the good things I hear, I am interested though.

      It only changes how the car behaves in "dynamic" mode though, right?
      it will change all drive modes to some extent. and even the 0-60 times, when was the last time you brake boosted your car and shut off esc for optimal launch? not often? than max 0-60mph doesnt matter. the 70% throttle 60-75mph pass would be a better example of this tune but there are no comparison times to publish.

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post

      What does the white badge look like? Where does it go?
      It is the badge in the link, and the dealer put it next to the T6 and awd badges.

      https://www.ipdusa.com/products/2201...hoClj0QAvD_BwE

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      most places you see post max hp. hp in general isnt felt, it is the torque you feel. max hp is at 5500 rpm on a t5 engine, few people are running their cars to redline frequently so the 7 peak hp(3%) number is irrelevant. what is felt is mid range torque, best example is when you pass someone. on same engine, midrange torque goes from 258 to 295 Nm for a gain of 37 Nm(15%) but best part is it happens from 2000 to 4500rpm where you do actually drive every day. add in refinement to transmission and many other areas and it makes for a very complete tuning package but will not hurt mpg emissions or warranty so cant go full crazy like aftermarket tunes can
      I'm aware of the distinction between peak and max, and torque vs HP, but in the end what it all boils down to is how it actually performs.

      For my 2017 S90 T6 the overall 0-100km/h times improve from 5.9s to 5.8s. I am not convinced my (or anyone's) butt is finely calibrated enough to feel a difference of 0.1s

      Considering all the good things I hear, I am interested though.

      It only changes how the car behaves in "dynamic" mode though, right?
      As my personal feeling, even in the comfort mode , the steering wheel became slightly stiffer as well as the suspension after the tuning. Might be my illusion, lol.

    29. #27
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by V60-19-NJ View Post
      As my personal feeling, even in the comfort mode , the steering wheel became slightly stiffer as well as the suspension after the tuning. Might be my illusion, lol.
      Nice. I like that. IMHO, all of the stock settings have way too light steering.

      I feel like I'm driving a 70's boat sometimes, with how light the steering is

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY
      Posts
      540
      You do know that you can adjust the steering feel, right?

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2020
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      You do know that you can adjust the steering feel, right?
      Sure, I assume steering wheel is stiffer in all modes after tuning. The after tuning comfort mode is something between previous comfort and dynamic modes.

    32. #30
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      707
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      You do know that you can adjust the steering feel, right?
      Yep. My individual drive mode is based on the ECO mode but with the stiffer suspension and heavier steering from Dynamic mode, but even that is too light compared to cars I've owned in the past.

      Occasionally it it feels the way I like it, but then I realize that this is only because this is the cars lane departure auto correction kicking in, so it only feels stiff enough because I am fighting the system 😛
      Last edited by mattlach; 05-30-2020 at 11:23 PM.

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      DFW, TX
      Posts
      7
      Picked up my V90CC back in late June, and had the Polestar tune added today. Boy is that worth it!

      Car is much zippier in passing, the tune also removes some of the shifting wonkiness from 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th that my car was exhibiting (this is a 4200 lb wagon not a Lotus). Shifts are much cleaner, and when I put my foot down to pass. Driving on some curves on the highway was actually kind of fun.

      The shifting is definitely cleaner in Comfort also, car even seemed a little more responsive in ECO. I haven't driven that much in ECO other than on the way to the shop this morning, and very briefly on the way home, but it did seem more responsive when I had to pass a person who pulled in front of me and slowed down while in ECO.

      I used a 10% off Accessory coupon that the dealership mailed, and did the chat with Volvo online for the $200 off "Rebate Coupon". Cost will be a little over $1100 after the rebate comes in.

      Definitely call around, the prices I was quoted - $1396, 1372, 1600, 1900, 1500
      2020 V90 CC - Bright Silver/Charcoal - Advanced/20" Wheels/Park Assist Pilot - Polestar Tune
      2010 Acura TL - SOLD
      2000 Lexus ES - Died
      1992 Pontiac Grand Prix - Totaled

    34. #32
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,178
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I did a back to back test with my S90 Inscription w/out P* and a V90 R-Design with P*. My S90 felt more responsive/quicker on the low end. There is a minor weight difference favoring the V90 at 4,189lbs and the S90 at 4,222lbs. The V90 had less than a quarter tank of fuel versus the S90 with just a few gallons off full.

      I am wondering if the P* boost curve adjusts upward, softening the low end slightly to strengthen the mid-range. I have not seen real-world dyno results for SPA cars but if I keep my S90 for a bit longer, I will definitely try to get some baseline numbers before/after the P* tune as well as with adding the Vaitrix Booster Pro ECU tuner which is supposed to add 30hp to the stock 316hp and 30hp to the P* tune, resulting in total power around 360hp, close to that of the 2017-2018 S/V60 Polestar cars.
      There is a difference in the gearing between models. Let's take the cars with T6 engine only.

      The S60 has tie most aggressive and quicker shifts thus feeling it accelerates quicker (plus, it's the lightest of the 4 but it still shifts the quickest)
      Then, it's the S90 and the V90 R-design/Inscription (almost as quick as the S60 but not quite)
      and the V90 CC has the slower shift pace of the 4. Now, we are splitting hairs but the differences among the 3 groups is noticeable.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal Nappa L, Advance, Rear Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, Luxury, RtrbleTow Hitch, Polestar optimization, 20" wheels, Side Scuff Plate
      2020 V90 T6 AWD R-design Crystal White M, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, 20" wheels, Polestar optimization

    35. #33
      So, my 2017 S90 T6 has the Polestar tune, and I was reading the material on it. The literature claims that the tune doesn't impact mileage. How can that be? It seems to be leaving the car in a lower gear for longer and at cruise, so wouldn't that lower fuel economy?

    36. #34
      Junior Member B-SIDE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Miami
      Posts
      76
      Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy123 View Post
      So, my 2017 S90 T6 has the Polestar tune, and I was reading the material on it. The literature claims that the tune doesn't impact mileage. How can that be? It seems to be leaving the car in a lower gear for longer and at cruise, so wouldn't that lower fuel economy?
      Funny I thought the same thing, but on my previous V60, it didn't unless I was driving in polestar mode ALL the time and reving the engine a lot, which I did as a guilty pleasure for the 1st month I had the P* tune done and because I had an aftermarket exhaust I liked listening too.
      Now,
      So far in my newer 2019 V90 I don't see a difference again until I 'lead foot' it too much in P* / Individual mode LOL.
      But like you, I'm sure their numbers are measured with it in 'Comfort' and not 'Polestar' mode

      But it's just so much more fun to drive in P*!!! Especially with a nice exhaust!

      Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
      Current : 2019 V90 R-Design P* - Full R-D package + Integrated Rear Booster Seats / Borla Exhaust / K&N Filter / Chrome Delete / Ceramic Pro on Electric Silver Metallic Paint / 98% De-badged (+ other minor customizations)
      Former : 2015 V60 P* (aftermarket Wheels / Exhaust / K&N Filter) Blackout + other minor customizations

    37. #35
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2003
      Posts
      1,916
      There is one little trick that "tuners" use to improve "responsiveness", and I hate it.

      The gas pedal is nothing more than a rheostat; the same as the volume knob on your stereo. It merely outputs a voltage that is proportional to pedal position. The tuners will often alter the position vs. torque curve. If, for example, the factory gave you 25% engine torque at 25% throttle, the tuners might change the curve to give you 40% engine torque at 25% throttle. Of course, this does not mean you get any more than 100% torque at 100% pedal, but it gives an impression of improved engine response.

      "Wow! I barely touched the gas pedal and I took off like a rocket!"

      The downside is that now it takes the concentration of a Zen master to step off from a stoplight without spilling your coffee.

      I had an XC70 with Polestar. The engine made real nice torque in the midrange but I would have traded that for a smoother, more controllable launch.

      This trick was played even in the days of the carburetor. The throttle cable is typically wrapped around a pulley-type thingy that opens the butterflies when the cable is pulled. That pulley sometimes came in weird, egg-shaped profiles that opened the butterflies faster or slower for a given amount of cable motion, depending upon the goals and preferences of the driveability engineer.

      Interestingly, the Corvette engineers, who are very track-savvy, do just the opposite. When you select the track mode, the pedal calibration is changed to one that provides a softer-than-normal part-throttle response. All the better for ham-fisted (ham-footed?) drivers like myself to get the power down smoothly.
      Last edited by Dyno; 09-08-2020 at 04:08 PM.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. K&N or Polstar Air filter?
      By volvjoe in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 05-08-2017, 09:41 PM
    2. Polstar upgrade price in Houston?
      By pbpatel1981 in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 01-31-2017, 11:31 AM
    3. Motor Authority: Polstar S60 May Reach Production
      By TrboBrik in forum News & Rumors
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 07-31-2012, 07:54 AM
    4. Motor Authority: Polstar S60 May Reach Production
      By TrboBrik in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 07-13-2012, 04:51 PM
    5. Volvo Polstar stepping it up!
      By TG in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 06-18-2012, 12:55 PM