t8 as a Tesla alternative?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

t8 as a Tesla alternative?

I'm currently a Tesla S owner, and was about to upgrade to the latest performance S. However, turned off by the company's customer service, and lack of any exclusivity (Bay Area). For my needs I need a high performance "executive" class car that gets me access the HOV lane for my commute, while spoils me on the way to/from work....after looking at the various options it seems as if the S90 t8 maybe the only viable alternative. It's beautiful and rather different/exclusive. However, not sure if it is fair to cross shop it with a new model S. Curious whether people went thru similar decision, pros/cons for the volvo, etc. Will test drive one this weekend likely. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Of course, you don't even need to spend 30 to 1hr each time at supercharge station.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Just talking my 2 cents, I have a 2018 V90 T5 and wife has Model3.

Can not beat the Tesla technology if you are into that stuff, frequent software updates. Not many traditional car manufacturers are up to speed on that level. But after so many updates, itís not a dealbreaker on my end. Yeah there are games, sing along, Netflix, but we use it as a commuter car 20mile each way so donít really use all the extra apps/ features.

Build quality and comfort, favor my station wagon. The feel of the seats, cabin comfort, and reduced noise, is better in the Volvo. Wish there was a T8 for the Estate.

Good luck with your test drive and next vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The Volvo PHEVs have such crappy all-electric range; Toyota is putting a 17.8-kWh battery pack into its RAV4 Prime that's coming out next summer, for 39 miles of all-electric range -- about 2-3 times what any Volvo PHEV can do (for comparison, the Volvo T8s have only a 10-kWh pack, which they're *fabulously* upgrading this year to 11 kWh ... whoop-de-doo). I'd personally rather get the Polestar 2 than any Volvo T8 model, even though I'll always want another ICEV/PHEV for out-of-town trips because I don't want to hassle with public charging. The Polestar 2 looks as good as, or better than, the S90 in exterior appearance -- to me, at least. And I'd get the Polestar 2 over any Tesla, even if the range is less, because it'll be better built and will have better dealership service.
      Last edited by cometguy; 12-18-2019 at 09:52 PM.

I had a 2017 S I got rid of early this year. I've had a number of vehicles since then, including a Model 3. I'm currently in a 2018 S90 Inscription T8. I had a love/hate relationship with my Teslas. I think your best bet will be doing the test drive. Maybe a few test drives.

Volvo's electrification is only like driving a Tesla under mild acceleration. The electric motor/battey only have adequate power, nothing more. That said, the qualities of EV driving are still there - gentle silence, even moreso in the Volvo since it is built and insulated from the outside better than a Tesla. Regen braking is there (although, it's primarily built into the brake pedal, which can be twitchy when transiting to hydraulic brakes for harder stops). Operating as a hybrid is great since the engine only kicks back on after passing 10 MPH or so, so it's hardly noticeable. Under high power demands, it's best to preemptively make sure the engine is running (if you're in EV mode), otherwise it will take a second to get the ICE producing power. Depending on your driving habits, you may be like me and put most of your miles in EV mode, so the cost to operate isn't terribly much more. Sometimes I charge the car 2-3 times in a day if I'm making numerous trips into town since I live fairly close to everything. I hope the battery holds up to that kind of cycling - too early to tell.

The Volvo is remarkably more comfortable and has a more thoughtfully designed interior compared to the basic lacking design of Tesla. Seats are notably superior. Having some missing tech (360 cam, proper blind spot monitoring) is a nice touch. Autowipers and auto high beams that properly work is relieving. Not dealing with buggy, beta tester feeling software is too. Pilot Assist is a mild form of Autosteer. Works quite well on gently curved highways, and decent on surface roads (not quite as good as AP). The S clearly wins in cargo space being a hatch, but the long wheelbase S90 is much more valuable to me - the rear seat roominess is insane (infant seat and my work bag fitting behind me with ease)

Customer service is largely going to depend on your serving dealership. I will say Volvo customer care has been a pleasure to speak with though. I too miss the days of Tesla having good customer service - the Model 3 has killed it.

These things said, I do still miss my Tesla at times. It is a cool car no doubt, and on the leading edge of EVs. But the quality problems are rampant, the software is occasionally buggy (I once had an update in the heat of summer that would randomly kill my A/C after I parked the car and wouldn't work again until I forcefully power cycled everything), and the repair times were always a fear if I ever got in an accident. Not having to deal with range anxiety or road trip charging issues is nice too. And despite spending $100K on a car, after 1 year it felt like I was left behind - new MCU, new Autopilot hardware, other hardware revisions all meant I was getting less features and having a worse experience. I hated a lot of things when I owned it. I can't say I hate much of anything about my Volvo, so I think I made the right choice.
      Last edited by 392DCGC; 12-19-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Why not wait until mid summer when the Polestar 1 & 2 are available. They seem to be an alternative to the Tesla

As an S90 T8 owner, for the OP I think the most fundamental question you need to answer for yourself is what is your driving range and expectations for EV driving over that range. My 2018 has a pure EV range of miles per full charge which is perfect for my short daily commuting. You noted being in the bay area, if you are looking at commutes longer than that without access to a charger in between trips, then you must be prepared to burn fuel in the ICE.

As noted through out this post, the S90 is a superior car, the S is better technology, albeit buggy. Your preference is ultimately yours.

If you only want to drive 28 miles all electric, it is a fine car.

I had one as a rental when I was last in Sweden and it was great.

The range is it's biggest limitation.

The fact that electric is rear wheel only and gas is front wheel only also has some weird side effects (for instance, you have AWD but only if you are not in pure electric only mode, and only if you have remaining battery charge)

I liked the car, but it is definitely more of a plug in hulybrid with a short electric range than it is a battery electric vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by RamiB2 View Post
      I'm currently a Tesla S owner, and was about to upgrade to the latest performance S. However, turned off by the company's customer service, and lack of any exclusivity (Bay Area). For my needs I need a high performance "executive" class car that gets me access the HOV lane for my commute, while spoils me on the way to/from work....after looking at the various options it seems as if the S90 t8 maybe the only viable alternative. It's beautiful and rather different/exclusive. However, not sure if it is fair to cross shop it with a new model S. Curious whether people went thru similar decision, pros/cons for the volvo, etc. Will test drive one this weekend likely. Thank you!
      Also, lol at "needing" "exclusivity" and an "executive car". These things are luxuries, not needs. 😛

The fancy nature of the new Volvo's was actually my biggest turnoff when I bought one. Seemed way too pretentious to me compared to where the Volvo brand got it's beginnings as certainly a premium quality vehicle, but a solid middle class one without the floofy luxuries like leather seats, power windows or even air conditioning 😛

I like my S90. It is a good car, but as someone who judges people by the vehicle they drive (whenever I see a Land Rover or a Maserati I roll my eyes at the shallowness and stupidity of the driver) I definitely felt awkward, out of place and like a bad person when I first started driving it.

My mantra: never brag, never show off, never keep up appearances, ever. Always be pragmatic in everything you do.

Donít want to jump in with both feet since I do not have the T8 yet but I though the AWD will work no matter how empty the battery is as the software will always keep the reserve for the awd. Please correct me if Iím wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Donít want to jump in with both feet since I do not have the T8 yet but I though the AWD will work no matter how empty the battery is as the software will always keep the reserve for the awd. Please correct me if Iím wrong.

That's what I've read as well. If it needs to I believe it will siphon off some of the power from the ICE to charge the battery while the motor is pulling from it in AWD.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      If you only want to drive 28 miles all electric, it is a fine car.

I had one as a rental when I was last in Sweden and it was great.

The range is it's biggest limitation.

The fact that electric is rear wheel only and gas is front wheel only also has some weird side effects (for instance, you have AWD but only if you are not in pure electric only mode, and only if you have remaining battery charge)

I liked the car, but it is definitely more of a plug in hulybrid with a short electric range than it is a battery electric vehicle.
      28 miles? Must be the Euro rating cycle. In the U.S. my T8 shows 23 miles at full charge and in Pure mode (let's you run the battery down to 0 user accessible power, though the safety reserve still remains). I'd say that's fairly accurate, minus cold weather which seems to have less of an affect than it did in my Teslas.

AWD mode will work fine at all times. The battery will only deplete down to a low, but still usable, reserve level. The onboard generator is capable of outputting enough power to the electric motor for cruising in AWD, and when more power is requested, the car will tap into the battery. Once the power demand ceases, regen braking or the generator will recharge the battery back to the reserve level.

The fancy nature of the new Volvo's was actually my biggest turnoff when I bought one. Seemed way too pretentious to me compared to where the Volvo brand got it's beginnings as certainly a premium quality vehicle, but a solid middle class one without the floofy luxuries like leather seats, power windows or even air conditioning 😛

I like my S90. It is a good car, but as someone who judges people by the vehicle they drive (whenever I see a Land Rover or a Maserati I roll my eyes at the shallowness and stupidity of the driver) I definitely felt awkward, out of place and like a bad person when I first started driving it.

My mantra: never brag, never show off, never keep up appearances, ever. Always be pragmatic in everything you do.
      I like the way that you put this, because it sums up well my feelings about the new-gen Volvos in a way that had been perhaps somewhat subconscious before, where I've found to the interior and exterior design as being rather pretentious (diamond-patterned drive-mode roller dial; crystal gear shifter on some models; trying to appear fancy by putting climate controls into the touchscreen). After owning Volvo wagons continuously going back to 1985 (currently we still drive a 2001 V70XC), we find this to be a revolutionary change by Volvo; making the engine and interior controls more complex than has been typical for Volvo for most of its history is somewhat of a head-scratcher, as it's pushing Volvo away from being more reliable and more safe (touchscreens are absolutely unsafe, as is voice control -- both taking cognitive focus away from the road for the driver). When I brought a 2018 V90 Cross Country wagon home to show my wife on a test drive, she was really turned off at how "ostentatious" it appeared next to our 2001 Cross Country wagon (which has zero chrome inside or out, I note, and I vastly prefer that).

Yes, there's lots to like, but Volvo has moved more toward Maserati away from its roots in terms of "bling", and like you say, this is not a complement. I still like lots about the new-gen Volvos, but I think that the T6 and T8 versions have totally turned me off, so that moving forward I'll probably only consider a T5 Volvo wagon or something in the new Polestar BEV line-up... sadly, as a long-time Volvo owner/driver.

Also, lol at "needing" "exclusivity" and an "executive car". These things are luxuries, not needs. 😛

Just because Volvo improved their designs and appealed to what MOST customers wanted in a car doesn't mean their cars are flashy or pretentious. Their sales numbers have been much higher since they started producing their cars on the SPA and CMA platform. They did what they had to do in order to update their cars to modern standards, while also making it elegant in Volvo fashion. Volvo was losing sales due to having such an aging lineup and they also weren't being taken serious in the category they were trying to compete in which is LUXURY. However, luxury does not equal retention. If you compare Volvo to many of its rivals, you'll find they're much more devoted to elegance and safety rather than just slapping bling everywhere. Volvo's are still understated as they were before, just modernized. If you don't want power seats, power windows and leather seats go buy a Mitsubishi Mirage. It sounds better suited to you.

I roll my eyes when I see someone in a Land Rover or Maserati also. Who would buy such piles of junk????
      18 XC60 T6 Inscription- everything except lux seating
      12 VW Eos Executive
      Past Volvoís: 2016 V60 T5 Platinum FWD, 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by LowlyOilBurner View Post
      I roll my eyes when I see someone in a Land Rover or Maserati also. Who would buy such piles of junk????
      Imagine caring that much about what type of car a stranger bought. Ugh couldn't be me.

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements