SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

2015 V60 T6 Platinum Wagon or 2015 Volvo XC60 AWD T6 Platinum

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Phipper 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm shopping for a vehicle that will see me through nasty winter weather, yet still be sporty enough for summer use.

My heart is set on Volvo, and so far I've narrowed my choice down to either of these two rides.

Would you all be so kind as to offer up any or all opinions you may have, please?

https://jimpattisonsubaruvictoria.c...olvo-V60-fa5b72b90a0d0c146d668762d331ffcb.htm

https://www.jimpattisonpreowned.com/vehicles/2015/volvo/xc60/burnaby/wi/46818837/?sale_class=used

A CARFAX report is available with either link.

thank you

#2 ·
Have you driven either car yet? I also considered a V60 and XC60 before I bought the S60, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the higher center of gravity of the XC60.

#3 · (Edited)
Not yet, but that would help. ;)
I'm leaning toward the V60 for it's lower mileage, colour combos, and sportier everything.
It has had one (very minor, I was told) accident and two owners, the first being a lease.

Is one model generally more reliable over the other?

#4 ·
The two vehicles seem very similar except for the XC60 being taller. I haven't actually driven an XC60, but I like the V60 better because lower to the ground = should corner better. Adding an IPD rear sway bar is a good investment if you love twisty roads as I do.

I notice the URL on the XC60 says Calgary. If it has been driven through some Alberta winters there may be more rust underneath than the Victoria V60 may have.

#5 · (Edited)
Greetings, fellow Canuck! Thanks for your advice.

Indeed, the V60 looks to be the nicer car for said "twisty roads" which I too am a big fan of.
Say, if you happen to be in the neighbourhood, there in Victoria??? I ask because I'm in the southern interior these days. No worries though. I just may come out some time early in the New Year. I was told the car has been on the lot for a month now.

The XC60 is in Vancouver/Burnaby....I checked.

cheers

#6 ·
The V60 you posted really doesn't have a lot of options at all - no BLIS, no heated wheel, lower end halogen headlights, and is a '15 vs. '15.5, the latter of which got updated Sensus. I am really not sure what makes that car a Platinum aside from the wheels and the seats maybe? Interesting options available in Canada as I don't think you could get a six cylinder wagon like that unless it was an RD or Polestar.

I have both a V60 and an XC60 and while I like driving the V60 more, the XC60 has more interior room, more storage capacity and given these two choices I don't think I could pick that V60 given the lack of options.

#15 ·
The V60 you posted really doesn't have a lot of options at all - no BLIS, no heated wheel, lower end halogen headlights, and is a '15 vs. '15.5, the latter of which got updated Sensus. I am really not sure what makes that car a Platinum aside from the wheels and the seats maybe? Interesting options available in Canada as I don't think you could get a six cylinder wagon like that unless it was an RD or Polestar.
I was curious about how a V60 with so few options could be described as Platinum so I e-mailed the local Victoria Subaru dealer where the car is for sale. I was told that trim details on the website were populated by the VIN number. Perhaps simply having navigation was enough for Volvo to classify it as Platinum, but it's like a Christmas Tree without any branches.

Yes, the Canadian options in 2015 included the six cylinder T6 in more than just the RD and Polestar models.

#7 ·
^^^^^
Whoa.....hold the phone. I did not know this. ^^^
Well, that puts a damper on things. I wonder if the ad is accurate of the car advertised.
Anyone else care to chime in?

#9 ·
That center stack sure looks empty. The heated steering wheel and rear cross-traffic warning are two of my favourite features so I'd not be too happy in a V60 that doesn't have them.

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Hi freeheelin,

Although I like the looks of the V60 more, the XC60 has more features, and has active bending headlights that are Xenon. Much better option for night driving of any kind. At 100,000 km, I'd ask the dealer if they might be willing to replace the bulbs with new Osram 66340CBI's. The car comes stock with the Osram 66340. They fade or yellow over time. Just changed mine this week and it made a huge difference.

#12 · (Edited)
I have both. A V60RD T6 and an XC60 T6. Both AWD. We prefer the XC60 for longer trips as it's more comfortable and rides better. The V60 is very sporty, definitely handles better and is much faster. Ride quality is harsh but I couldn't care less.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Hey fellow Canuck,

I'd also consider the use, as others have mentioned the XC is larger and roomier than the V60. While I do love my V60 for the sportiness, backseat space is tight for rear passengers and when heading out to the mountains for some mountain biking, the gravel parking lots / side of the road aren't as nice for lower vehicles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I've driven both, was going to get the wife a 2016 XC60 but it really didn't handle that well. May have been the shocks. Oddly, ended up with an Outback for her. :) I have an S60 T6 for me though.

I bet an IPD sway bar on the XC60 would make it a pretty nice ride. Maybe some bilsteins? The extra space too. Plus it was pretty innovative styling IMHO.

#17 ·
I have a 2012 XC60 T6. You are going to need new struts and shocks by 130 KM, the bearings and mounts wear out. Probably ball joints/control arms too. Drive it at very low speeds in a rutted lot, and listen for clicking or bucking of the suspension. Our car handles well but I would not call it 'sporty' and it's not a canyon carver at all. It's high center of gravity and mass do not help, but we feel extremely safe and planted when driving. We love it. Other niggles are the blower motor makes a noise when turned up, it requires removing the dash to replace so we just live with it. Some interior finishes scratch easily. Seats are wonderful. We have rear 'heat seaters', a nice plus. Same color as yours in the ad but with all black interior.

I also have a 2012 S60 T6, similar to the V60 underneath and it is a hoot to drive. I surprise many other cars with the sweet 6 engine. In sport mode it's a beast, handles very well, suspension is stiff (I had it all replaced). I personally refer wagons and will probably purchase one (first gen), making it my 8th Volvo. Wife drives the Xc60. She wants another, newer one but I hate to give up that 6 cylinder engine. Rear seat legroom is scarce. Looks great in silver over blank.

Anyways, as with any used car maintenance is everything! Get as mush info as you can about what was replaced or fixed, and why. Once you get hooked on the brand it is hard to let go. Dealership labor can be expensive, as well as genuine parts. For example my S60 has active bending headlights, which are $1,200-1,500 new to replace. Is there a reliable local Volvo/Euro mechanic you can use in the future? You will save bigly, or do some work yourself.

Both are great choices, but I'd say the V60 is more 'sporty' to drive by a long shot.

#18 ·
I went with a 2015.5 xc70 t6 platinum with P* added an IPD sway and have never for a second regretted this choice. It truly is the best of all things Volvo. Awesome in all conditions and still really fun to drive. IMO, things only got weird after this model was discontinued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.