Maintaining my Wife's 2013 C30 T5-Rdesign
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 8 of 8
    1. #1
      Member T501's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,940

      Maintaining my Wife's 2013 C30 T5-Rdesign

      We bought the car new back in May of 2013 and I figured it's about time I made a thread for it. This will help me keep track of the maintenance and share things I learn along the way.

      Here's a few pics of the car from 2015:





      I've been pretty rigorous with the maintenance on this car from day one. I've been with Volvo long enough to know not to leave it up to them or their recommendations. I did the first oil change at 1k miles, then again at 2,500 miles and 5,000 miles. The idea was to get any particulates out from the break-in period. It may seem a bit overkill but we intend to keep this car for a very long time.

      OCI's have been every 5k miles since except for the most recent, I went 7k miles just because I didn't have time to do it earlier. The car now has about 67,700 miles and has been mostly trouble free.

      Besides the included free oil changes, it's only been to the dealer three other times for warranty repairs:

      1. Replace driver's door panel that wasn't installed properly at the factory.
      2. Replace the HVAC expansion valve.
      3. Replace battery.

      Besides that I've done all the maintenance and repairs needed. Besides oil changes, brake fluid flush, and air filter/cabin filter changes, I replaced the following:

      at 50k miles:

      1. Drain and fill the trans fluid.

      at 60k miles:

      1. All brake pads and rotors (used Akebono pads and Centric powerslot rotors).
      2. Ignition switch (wasn't always starting with the first flick)
      3. Spark plugs (genuine Volvo plugs)
      4. Oil cap O-ring

      at 67k miles:
      1. Front end-links
      2. Removed and cleaned ETM and replaced gasket to alleviate dropping idle when coming to a stop
      3. Cleaned MAF sensor

      I will try and update this thread each time I do a repair or interesting maintenance item. I will also add more pics.
      Last edited by T501; 12-19-2019 at 08:23 PM.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member PierceXC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2013
      Location
      GTA (Oakville)
      Posts
      79
      Nice C30!
      2014 XC60, 3.2

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      Australia
      Posts
      55
      How do you find the Akebono brake pads, in terms of pedal feel, stopping performance and dust?

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member T501's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,940
      Thanks a lot! We like it too.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

    7. #5
      Member T501's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2005
      Location
      Florida
      Posts
      5,940
      Quote Originally Posted by HL-240 View Post
      How do you find the Akebono brake pads, in terms of pedal feel, stopping performance and dust?
      I have used the Akebono pads for years now on my S60 but always with the powelsot rotors so I can speak to how they will feel on stock rotors although there may not be much of a difference. This is the first time I've put them on the C30 but the feel is what I'm used to with akebonos.

      The feel compared to stock is definitely different. They have a more linear feel to them. The stock pads seem to almost come on all at once. In emergency braking, the akebonos feel very strong and I've never felt like I ran out of stopping power with them. I prefer their feel over the stock pads but some people feel they are not as responsive. It's hard to say which is better without scientific testing.

      The dust issue is almost non-existant with the akebono pads. You can clean your wheels once every six months and they still look good. The only dust that the akebonos produce is white in color so it's very hard to notice.
      David - '01 S60 T5 GT 205K+ miles OWNED SINCE DAY ONE - Bilstein Sport + TME, ipd sway bar + endlinks, UR chassis braces (upper F+R), Powerslot /Akebono pads, Snabb Intake, iMIV Original engine, transmission replaced at 78k miles
      Wife -'13 C30 T5 R-Design 63k+ miles Dad - '98 S70 T5 205k + miles, Bilstein TCs, IPD HD rear springs, SAS delete Mom -'10 S80 V8 Executive Sis - '02 S80 T6 Backup car -'13 S60 T5 (Not as fun as my '01)
      Past
      '95 850 '92 960

    8. #6
      Junior Member rocketscience55's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Washington D.C.
      Posts
      48
      Quote Originally Posted by T501 View Post
      We bought the car new back in May of 2013 and I figured it's about time I made a thread for it. This will help me keep track of the maintenance and share things I learn along the way.

      Here's a few pics of the car from 2015:





      I've been pretty rigorous with the maintenance on this car from day one. I've been with Volvo long enough to know not to leave it up to them or their recommendations. I did the first oil change at 1k miles, then again at 2,500 miles and 5,000 miles. The idea was to get any particulates out from the break-in period. It may seem a bit overkill but we intend to keep this car for a very long time.

      OCI's have been every 5k miles since except for the most recent, I went 7k miles just because I didn't have time to do it earlier. The car now has about 67,700 miles and has been mostly trouble free.

      Besides the included free oil changes, it's only been to the dealer three other times for warranty repairs:

      1. Replace driver's door panel that wasn't installed properly at the factory.
      2. Replace the HVAC expansion valve.
      3. Replace battery.

      Besides that I've done all the maintenance and repairs needed. Besides oil changes, brake fluid flush, and air filter/cabin filter changes, I replaced the following:

      at 50k miles:

      1. Drain and fill the trans fluid.

      at 60k miles:

      1. All brake pads and rotors (used Akebono pads and Centric powerslot rotors).
      2. Ignition switch (wasn't always starting with the first flick)
      3. Spark plugs (genuine Volvo plugs)
      4. Oil cap O-ring

      at 67k miles:
      1. Front end-links
      2. Removed and cleaned ETM and replaced gasket to alleviate dropping idle when coming to a stop
      3. Cleaned MAF sensor

      I will try and update this thread each time I do a repair or interesting maintenance item. I will also add more pics.
      When you replaced the spark plugs were you surprised that the plugs from the factory said FoMoCo? I remember being like WTH?
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      48
      There are MANY parts on a C30 that say FoMoCo.

    10. #8
      Junior Member rocketscience55's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2017
      Location
      Washington D.C.
      Posts
      48
      Quote Originally Posted by manydubs View Post
      There are MANY parts on a C30 that say FoMoCo.
      There really are, RSB, spark plugs, etc. But the aftermarket scene benefits from it
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

    11. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. T501's "Maintaining the wife's C30" thread
      By T501 in forum C30 (2007-2013)
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-06-2018, 10:32 PM
    2. CEL Code P0128 on 2013 C30 Rdesign
      By Thanatos in forum C30 (2007-2013)
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 01-05-2018, 12:54 PM
    3. should I trade my s40 t5 awd M66 for a new c30 Rdesign?
      By BlackS402.5turbo in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM
    4. Obsessed with maintaining a Pristine XC90 ?
      By doublel in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 02-23-2004, 05:23 PM
    5. Maintaining Black Sapphire Paint
      By ctaurie1 in forum The Detailing Forum
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 07-24-2003, 03:18 PM