Vibration: the Volvo curse?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 32 of 32
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      437

      Vibration: the Volvo curse?

      Car in question is a 2018 V90 Inspiration T6 AWD.

      I have read lots of posts about the dreaded feels-like-an-out-of-balance-tire vibration, but all of a sudden, I now have it too, so it has become more personal.

      Came out of nowhere. Car has run just fine for 18,000 miles and two years. The other day, on I84, at 55 mph it started. Feels like the haptic warning you get when you're changing lanes without signalling, with the lane-keeping feature engaged, though not as harsh. In other words, no big deal, I can live with it for awhile, but suddenly there's something going on. It's consistent. A hint of it appears at 50 mph, and by 55 it is unmistakable.

      Tires are Continentals, original equipment, so there's no foam belt coming loose inside them, like on the Pirellis. Tire pressures are normal--36 psi--and I definitely haven't hit anything or even gone over a speed bump.

      I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel as well as through my butt, but it's not like the wheel is actively vibrating, it's just communicating the high-frequency shake.

      The car was a factory order. It left Gothenberg in June 2017 and I took delivery a month later. Does it sound like I need a new revised axle?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      270
      Are you lugs tight?

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Current:
      2018 V90CC ,Osmium Grey / Blond, Luxury Package, Heads Up Display, B&W Sound, Trailer Hitch, Convenience Package, Polestar - "Julia" ,August 2017 OSD
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa - "Scarlett"
      2003 Porsche 911 - "Sally"

      Sold:
      1987 Mercedes 300TD - "Veggie" ran off vegetable oil.
      2002 V70XC - "Lisbeth" - Sold 4/14/2018 with 130,202 miles.

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      39
      bent wheels
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Harrison, Maine
      Posts
      287
      Bent wheels or threw a balance weight.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Location
      Long Island NY
      Posts
      254
      Quote Originally Posted by kartboy1234 View Post
      Are you lugs tight?

      Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      I second that idea as well as the bent wheel. Had my car serviced once and the dealer tells me all is good but I should do something about the vibration. I said what vibration I came here for thermostat. When I picked the car up humming shaking all the way home. Nuts were 35 ft/lb


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      437
      I will check the lugs tomorrow and also look for signs of a thrown weight. Can't imagine how a wheel would get bent out of the blue, though. Thanks!

      Stephan

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2018
      Location
      Lodi NJ
      Posts
      421
      had same thing. 2 wheels were bent. after repair issue is gone.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

      Paul.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Bellevue, WA USA
      Posts
      576
      Volvo specifies 3 stages when torquing wheel lugs on the S90.
      S90/V90
      (Stage 1) 2017 3 ft-lbs
      (Stage 2) 2017 37 ft-lbs
      (Stage 3) 2017 103 ft-lbs
      Last edited by Thommykent; 12-20-2019 at 09:04 PM.

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Harrison, Maine
      Posts
      287
      This is more of a highway story than a suggested solution, but several years ago I drove through a construction area. Suddenly and shortly afterward I experienced seat of the pants vibration (65mph). Did an inspection at my destination and found a bolt...a LARGE bolt...embedded in the tread. Called a tire place to tell them I was coming and headed back into town at reduced speed. About halfway there the vibration stopped...then a couple minutes later I got a low tire pressure warning light. Had shed the bolt. Fortunately was almost at an exit and managed to get off the highway into a parking area before I damaged the wheel.

    12. #10
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      535
      What size are the rims?

      The verylarge rims Volvo went with on some of these cars with thin rubber band tires means that bedning rims is more or less inevitable.

      I'd stick to 18 or 19" on these cars. Nothing larger. Even with the 19's there is a decent chance of a bend.

      The fact that Volvo offered 20 and 21" wheels on these cars is just insane.

      Wheels are intentionally made from softer metals, because as much as it sucks to bend one like you do with a soft metal, it sure as hell beats cracking one like you might with a harder metal, going 120mph down the autobahn.

      So, it's not a matter of IF this will happen, but when. Thin tires + soft metal = eventually you'll hit a bump that bends them.

      The things we do for perceived style.

      Luckily, there are wheel straightening shops, that heat up the wheels on a special machine that can bend them back. The dealer probably sends it out to one, as most don't have their own. You can probably save money by going to the wheel straightener directly.
      Last edited by mattlach; 12-23-2019 at 11:26 PM.

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      68
      Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
      What size are the rims?

      The verylarge rims Volvo went with on some of these cars with thin rubber band tires means that bedning rims is more or less inevitable.

      I'd stick to 18 or 19" on these cars. Nothing larger. Even with the 19's there is a decent chance of a bend.

      The fact that Volvo offered 20 and 21" wheels on these cars is just insane.

      Wheels are intentionally made from softer metals, because as much as it sucks to bend one like you do with a soft metal, it sure as hell beats cracking one like you might with a harder metal, going 120mph down the autobahn.

      So, it's not a matter of IF this will happen, but when. Thin tires + soft metal = eventually you'll hit a bump that bends them.

      The things we do for perceived style.

      Luckily, there are wheel straightening shops, that heat up the wheels on a special machine that can bend them back. The dealer probably sends it out to one, as most don't have their own. You can probably save money by going to the wheel straightener directly.
      I don't really agree with this. As long as you stay around 4" of tire sidewall, I've always been fine. I run 20" wheels on 3.9" of sidewall (245/40/20). No issues in my heavy T8. And I put 20K miles on a Tesla Model S (similar weight) with the exact same setup, again with no issues.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      437
      My wheels (I'm the OP) are standard Volvo 10-spoke 19-inchers with OEM all-season Continental tires.

      I have checked lugnut tightness. All four wheels are fine. I think the loose-lugnuts theory is beuhlchit anyway; in 70 years of car ownership, everything from Aston Martins and Porsches on down to a Nash Metropileoftin and a Morris Minor convertible, I have never once had a Lucille.

      I don't buy the bent-wheel theory either, but you'd have to understand the kind of driving my wife and I do in order to agree--zero commuting, almost never in traffic, typically doing 30=50 or so, same familiar roads all the time. If I had ever hit anything hard enough to bend a wheel, I'd know it.

      I think I have a bad axle.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      39
      if you are sure it isn't a bend rim or something, you might want to see if your tires have those noise cancelling foam inside. I have seen the Pirelli ones tend to fail after some miles on them. And the stock Pirelli tires on my V90 came with those silly foams too.....
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      437
      10-spoke 19-inchers with OEM all-season Continental tires.
      Did you read my most recent post? In fact in my original, very first begin-the-thread post I specified that NO, I do not have the infamous Pirelli foam-belt tires.

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      39
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Did you read my most recent post? In fact in my original, very first begin-the-thread post I specified that NO, I do not have the infamous Pirelli foam-belt tires.
      I did, but then I forgot about it. Anyway, just trying to help... Good luck with your problem.
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    18. #16
      Junior Member TomOldi's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2014
      Location
      Switzerland
      Posts
      452
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Did you read my most recent post? In fact in my original, very first begin-the-thread post I specified that NO, I do not have the infamous Pirelli foam-belt tires.
      Are you sure, the Contis don’t have the ContiSilent foam inside, do they have this markers on the sidewall?
      http://continentaltire.custhelp.com/...etail/a_id/760
      Last edited by TomOldi; 12-26-2019 at 04:17 PM.

    19. #17
      I also had highway vibration appear after a year on my xc70 (last model year). Three trips to dealer who kept tweaking the weights with high speed balancing (so they said). Would get better, but then they said weights kept going out of spec. Good luck.

    20. #18
      Junior Member mattlach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2013
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      535
      Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      I don't really agree with this. As long as you stay around 4" of tire sidewall, I've always been fine. I run 20" wheels on 3.9" of sidewall (245/40/20). No issues in my heavy T8. And I put 20K miles on a Tesla Model S (similar weight) with the exact same setup, again with no issues.
      Ah, I didn't realize they came thin this size. Is that a Cross Country?

      Usually as wheel sizes go up on the same model, the rolling diameter stays the same, meaning you ahve thinner and thinner rubber.

      The tire size for the 21's volvo sells is 245/35R21, which results in a 3.4" sidewall...

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      39
      For everyone’s info, I noticed that my car has a slight vibration at around 75mph as well, which disappear at below 70 and plus 80mph. Braking and accelerating has no effect on the vibration, so my best bet is on these stock Pirellis with foam inside of them. I am dropping the car off tomorrow at the dealer to see what they say about it. Will update.
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    22. #20
      Quote Originally Posted by cloud9blue View Post
      For everyone’s info, I noticed that my car has a slight vibration at around 75mph as well, which disappear at below 70 and plus 80mph. Braking and accelerating has no effect on the vibration, so my best bet is on these stock Pirellis with foam inside of them. I am dropping the car off tomorrow at the dealer to see what they say about it. Will update.
      well, what did they say?

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      39
      Quote Originally Posted by drericfautstein View Post
      well, what did they say?
      Will know when I pick up the car again this Saturday. They are fixing a scratch on the rocker panel that they left me as a present during delivery, as well as installing the missing cargo hooks on the MY19 cars.
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    24. #22
      Member Bmo Pete's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2014
      Location
      N. Maryland
      Posts
      6,021
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Car in question is a 2018 V90 Inspiration T6 AWD.

      I have read lots of posts about the dreaded feels-like-an-out-of-balance-tire vibration, but all of a sudden, I now have it too, so it has become more personal.

      Came out of nowhere. Car has run just fine for 18,000 miles and two years. The other day, on I84, at 55 mph it started. Feels like the haptic warning you get when you're changing lanes without signalling, with the lane-keeping feature engaged, though not as harsh. In other words, no big deal, I can live with it for awhile, but suddenly there's something going on. It's consistent. A hint of it appears at 50 mph, and by 55 it is unmistakable.

      Tires are Continentals, original equipment, so there's no foam belt coming loose inside them, like on the Pirellis. Tire pressures are normal--36 psi--and I definitely haven't hit anything or even gone over a speed bump.

      I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel as well as through my butt, but it's not like the wheel is actively vibrating, it's just communicating the high-frequency shake.

      The car was a factory order. It left Gothenberg in June 2017 and I took delivery a month later. Does it sound like I need a new revised axle?
      Have you had the brake rotors checked? Both of our V90’s had vibration at higher speeds, apparently caused by uneven rotor wear - run-out. It felt like a vibration from the front, but the rears were in worse shape. I just had our ‘18 V90 T6 RD’s rotors replaced (under warranty) at 14K miles; last year our ‘18 V90CC was done at 7K miles.
      Rebel Blue, the new red! Intro & Updates Link
      Current
      ’18 V90 T6 AWD R-Design | '18 V90 CC T6 AWD Ocean Race Edition
      '05 CLK55 AMG Vert

      Prior Volvo's
      '15.5 XC60 T6 3.0 ORE Plat | '15 V60 T6 3.0 AWD RD Plat | '15 S60 T6 3.0 RD Plat |’07 S40 T5

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      437
      Yes. I do wonder about the rotors, and I assume they'll check them when I bring it in for service after the holidays are done and gone.

      It feels like the source of the vibration is up front when you're sitting in the front seats, but yesterday I did a trip in the back seat, and vibration felt a bit worse there.

    26. #24
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      124
      I had my front right axle shaft replaced, wheels rebalanced (again) and got an alignment done, it seems to have dramatically reduced vibrations at highway speeds. Will be doing a 900 mile trip next week and thoroughly test it at all speeds (yay for the Autobahn) and then give some more feedback.

      What still remains is a strong swaying sensation under load around 18mph and haven’t yet found a shop that knows what could be causing it.

    27. #25
      Junior Member savolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      Athens Greece
      Posts
      161
      I own a XC60 2018 model with 25K (Kms not miles) and it is two years old. Suddenly while we have a cold wave of weather in Greece, I have had a vibration on the front at speeds between 130 Kms/hr to 145 Kms/hr. Went for wheel balancing, they fixed it and as soon as I went back on the motorway the problem got worst since now I have had a vibration also at the back from 110 Kms/hr. They have tried different approaches, even rotating the tires with respect to the wheel, but nothing was solving the problem. We decided to take out the tires and have a look on the inside and Whoorah!!! On the stock Continentals (235/55/19) the silencer foam inside got completely unglued and was all over the place. So during every balancing attempt, there were different indications on weight adjustments for the exact same tire.

      We removed the foam (do not know if this correct or not) but problem is solved, with the only negative effect of a slight humming noise during driving on motorway, which can be compensated by the radio.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

    28. #26
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Those tires with foam glued inside are the first thing to get rid of. It is surprise to have such things installed on production cars without proper long term tests.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    29. #27
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Location
      Cornwall, NY
      Posts
      437
      Resolution of my problem, since I'm the OP: simply three out-of-balance tires/wheels. Dealer rebalanced them and all is well. No bent wheel, loose lugnuts, "warped" rotors or loose foam belt.

    30. #28
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,444
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Resolution of my problem, since I'm the OP: simply three out-of-balance tires/wheels. Dealer rebalanced them and all is well. No bent wheel, loose lugnuts, "warped" rotors or loose foam belt.
      Great it is fixed. Balance is indeed the first thing to check for highway speed vibration.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    31. #29
      Junior Member S90Pitt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      32
      Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Resolution of my problem, since I'm the OP: simply three out-of-balance tires/wheels. Dealer rebalanced them and all is well. No bent wheel, loose lugnuts, "warped" rotors or loose foam belt.
      That is great to hear. I wish mine would have been that simple. Fingers crossed that I can get this resolved at another dealer. My appointment is Friday.

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      39
      FYI my vibration issue at 75mph has gone away by itself this weekend when I drove from Boston to NJ. So I guess it might just be tire flat spots from sitting on the showroom for almost 3 months before I brought it. The car has 1700mi on the OD right now.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      NY/NJ/MA
      Posts
      39
      Nvm. The vibration came back yesterday. See my other thread on angle gear and prop shaft speed.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      09 BMW E92 335i: EFR 7670 Single Turbo / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline
      07 BMW R1200S: Akrapovic / Ohlins / Quickshifter
      19 Volvo V90 T6: R-Design / Bowers & Wilkins / Polestar Optimization

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      Decatur, GA
      Posts
      64
      My MY19 S90T8 has had the 70+ vibration since day one. Dealer didn't care to even diagnose it. I'm not inclined to bring it up because in Atlanta, they damage the piss out of your rims taking the lugnuts off. And chipped wheels drive me INSANE. So I'll tolerate the back massage at 75mph, versus the repeated stress of service shops trying to brush it off instead of addressing it. I need to find a few more shops in the area versus the one from which I purchased the car. I have the optional 20's and the Pirelli PZeros.. which I love, but not so much the vibration. I didn't request the 20's, they just happened to be on the only Magic Blue S90 that they could find in the country.

    35. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 46
      Last Post: 12-21-2010, 06:24 PM
    2. I think I've aquired the Volvo curse...
      By deep60 in forum S60 (2001-2010)
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 10-08-2006, 07:20 PM
    3. Afraid my personal R curse is beginning...
      By titaniumR in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: 08-11-2006, 09:54 AM
    4. R curse continues...accident today
      By tRio in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 44
      Last Post: 07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
    5. 'R Curse' spreads to South Jersey
      By Dashdog in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: 06-23-2006, 06:13 PM