SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo S70 wanna be fast

11K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  washdup 
#1 · (Edited)
Volvo S70 big turbo street/drag build

Short story of my car, wich i bought in 2015, from factoy it had 2.5 142kw engine...

1 month pure stock, then tune to 160kw. Not enough, bought 16t turbo. Local guy tuned motronic 4.4, made pops and bangs, was fun ?*never went to dyno, butt dyno says it had around 190kw. Broke engine after summer, bent all rods coz i didn`t care about engine health anymore since i knew it wont hold 300+ safe.*

2.0l 132kw engine from s60 (the one with 9.5 compression)

k24 turbo, e85, walbro 255, siemens deka 630cc, some crap fmic from iveco daily, self tuned, made 302hp/500nm at 1bar, was very rich at dyno, lots of misfires coz of that (at street was all perfect at 1.6 overboost, tappering to 1.4 bar, guesses around 330hp, but turbo was old, tired, broke the turbo after 3 months of driving). Bought forged rods, opened engine, and then realised 139.5 ones wont fin. Overall engine was in good shape, but i was lazy to put it back together, everything went to metal, oh well... Then bought hx35 turbo with 54mm 7 blades wheel and started to look for b5234t engine.*

Found engine, with forged rods, very cheap, had only 4k km after rebuild. Skipped year, was gathering parts suchs as full alu radiator, tubular manifold, 600x300x100mm intercooler, piping, brakes, wheels, standalone ecu..

Winter ended with making all engine wiring for Ecumaster Emu Classic, puting brakes, etc.

Found Brembo calipers from alfa romeo, bought Rottinger slotted disk, 336mm front, stock diameter rear. Ferodo premier pads, some nice BBS wheels, 8j front, 9j rear. with 225/45 semi slick tyres up front, 245/40 rear. Also changed fuel pump to Walbro 450, did some wiring upgrade for it, also bought siemens deka 875cc injectors, FPR regulator. After puting everything together, spent maybe a week, till i managed to start the car with standalone ecu without tune, no base map, nothing, 5 evenings sent just to make the car start.. Few more days to make it run from garage on herself. And sadly, engine wasn`t in so good shape as i thought, 30km later, just when i went for base tune to a locar tuner, lost oil pressure at 1.3 bar WOT 3rd gear, spun all bearings, 2 rods became black, 2 bearrings melted and became part of crank, yay! Good thing i had crank from 2017 season engine and new set of cxracing rods. Rebuilded engine with new crank, new rods, stock pistons and rings was still in good shape, so i left them. King racing rods bearing, King main bearings, D5 oil cooler, etc etc. Finally engine was runing great, did 100km break in, changed oil for Valvoline vr1 10w60, went to tune it again. Lots of boost leaks, boost coming very slow ant late, 1.5 bar 435ag/580nm... Tuner said my engine cant breath or turbo is maxed out (boost solenoid DC at 50% only, with 0.8 bar base pressure spring. Okay, weekend at garage, fixing boost leaks. Decided to tune it myself, since i had pretty much good map allready, good ignition table. 1.9 bar "overboost" tappering to 1.8 at 6k, 1.7 at 7k rpm(or backpressure, or wastegate spring was over, 100% duty cycle and couldn`t raise boost anymore). Injectors duty ~88-90% at 3.5bar base fuel pressure (siemends deka 875cc@3bar). 449ag/644nm, sounds a bit better, finnaly car is kinda fast, even without LSD i managed to make 0-100kmh in 5.5s, and 9s 1/8 mile in few tries, even did 8s 100-200 with rolling anti-lag. Without it, best i managed, was 8.6 (rev`ing to 6.8, when no point to rev more than 6.2 as i saw later, after looking at logs and trying different variations of gear change). Boost by gear* helps a lot. Sadly, B.itch broke after 1.2k km......

Some pictures from build before engine decided to brake.

And look what broke! Log was clean, no detonation, no lean afr, nothing bad. Just few pulls, and lots of smoke...* Spark plugs looks good, still have no idea what went wrong ?Bye bye cylinder #5. Funny thing, all rest looks good, pistons, rods, rings, ringlands, bearings, everything good everywhere except #5..* TBH even #5 piston didn`t broke, just melted a bit from cylinder wall.

Cyl #5 rod bearings, ony ones wich in bad shape

Piston looks like it hit the head, but on head no marks indicating this happened, also i don`t understand how this is possible, unless crank broke, or somehow it got bent in few pulls. Coz this happened few days after last dyno. Overall i drove around 400km with 1.8-1.9 bar, and i took this car to drive not for simple cruise, but for WOT runs,* to have some fun. (don`t mind grooves from valves, not my job, old engine owner broke smth, and used these pistons in next engine, budget builds, you know... ?*)

AAAAAAAAnd plan for 2020

Got tired of braking stuff. Bought built b5204t (that old one, with 77 stroke, 8.4 comp. ratio). Engine was built 5 years ago for drag racing, by local builders who proven by community, they have hands how to build engines. Domes around cylinders, custom head studs, custom FCP rods (4mm wider than china ones). Fully rebuilt and ported head with hidro lifters. All cleaned, changed what was necessary, everything measured. Engine was never fired, a guy left project for few years. Took it apart for cleaning, didn`t liked glyco bearings (not sputter ones, wtf).* The difference of rods/pistons 2.0 vs 2.3 ?

Yes,* both rods is same lenght! Since there is no 2.0 forged pistons, i will make 2.3 from this block, don`t like the design of 2.0 pistons, and since i`m lucky with oil pressure, it will be way easier to get 90mm crank instead of 77 one, just in case, you know ?

Some pics of block and head ports

Long story short, for next year i will build this block with 90mm crank, 139.5mm rods, wiseco pistons.

Head will get Cat Cams p/n*7902716*

Camshaft data:*Intake/Exhaust
Duration @ 0.1mm:*274°/268°
Duration @ 1.0mm:*246°/232°
Valve lift:*10,90mm/10,25mm
Lobe angle:*110°/120°
Timing @ 1.0mm:*13°_53°/56°_-5°
Valve lift @ TDC:*2,50/0,60mm

if i`ll be able to order these, if not, then p/n 7902713 at least. Ofc springs, retainers, and i will need to figure out how to convert hidro lifters to solid ones.

Gonna have to buy KL Racing intake manifold, "fix" it, probably remake exhaust manifold, since i`ll go for hx40 super with 60mm wheel, i don`t think turbo will fir anymore in old location, also with such wastegate location, i`m limited to 3inch downpipe. Bosch 1700cc injectors, maybe walbro 525 or DW400 fuel pump, quafie LSD, maybe bc racing coilovers, if winter will be good with job and paychecks ?*small goal is to reach 5s 0-100, 12.5s 1/4 mile, 7s 100-200. 550 at the crank should be enough, with flatshift maybe even just a bit over 500.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why not 147mm rods and pistons? Lighten your rotating mass and have the strongest whiteblock rod geometry? Keep the 90mm crank so its not stroked though.

#5 ·
That failure kinda dumb, people have been runing close to 700hp without dartons no problem. I personally think, cylinder failed, coz few years ago, last owner of this block, had this sleeve changed. We had few whiteblocks pushed past 500hp mark in our country, only failures was coz of bad tuning, and never saw sleeves failed, everytime pistons melted, ringlands cracked, spun bearings coz of oil pump valve got stuck, etc. Talked to simplyvolvo, even he said block itself is goof or 800nm, dougy pushed 83mm bore to 500+ also.

Anyway, just pick up sachs performance 707 plate, need to think what to do with disk. Thinking to go 6 puck ceramic, since i can get it made from old stock one 4x cheaper than 850R disk would cost me

#6 ·
Soooo, winter was lazy, now coz of virus, things not going fast as i want also. Engine is almost ready to drop in, LSD is in. I actually was kinda surprised how gearbox internals are in excellent shape.

Idk if i was smart, but ordered wiseco 81.25 oversize, block was in really good shape, just needed minor oversize. MLS headgasket ofc, 12.9 metal head studs, torqued to 130nm with arp lube. I did rings kinda loose, 0.5mm top and 0.55mm 2nd. King`s main bearings, glyco sputter rod dones, RN oil pump, d5 oil cooler. A friend helped me with head porting, went all in basicly. And sadly, no cams for now, will try GLT ones (maybe someone can give some guidelines on how to time these cams for 64mm turbo?). Waiting for custom turbo to arive in few weeks, then i can drop engine in and take car to shop for exhaust manifold and downpipe, some pipes fabrication. Oh, and also bought kl racing intake manifold. That thing will need more work than i expected. Lots of gasket matching, cast/welds grinding, vacuum ports welding (or maybe i`ll just weld some plate for "vacuum tree"). Dunno yet, but i think i`ll need to modify termostat housing a bit, for manifold to fit, also relocate temp sensor somewhere else.

#10 ·
Spent half day porting that "almost bolt on" kl racing manifold (some casting still gonna need some shaving, i didn`t had enough lenght drill bits to do that for now). Holes for bolts needed to be raised up about 2mm, runners needed to be shaved kinda a lot. Thermostat housing will need 20mm adapter plate to be raised up. Also gonna need adapter for 960 throttle body (all would be fine if not TPS sensor and spring). Oh, and also i had to cut some of the flange of intake, it was hiting thermostat housing lower parts.

#11 ·
Some updates.
Made throttle body adapter, termostat housing adapter, changed place of CLT sensor. Manifold is welded, ghetto connections for vacum lines, idle, brake booster. Everything kinda fits, except TB touches coolant radiator fan housing (will try lower all radiator about 10mm, problem should be solved, else i`ll just cut a piece from fan housing). Still need to figure out how to connect cable to TB, make some bracket to hold oil level dip stick, connect few coolant hoses, some minor things.
Also, finally my turbo arrived. Turbosystems HX4064b1, proven for solid 750 at the crank.

#12 ·
Well, things are going slow. Kinda finished intake side, changed control arms to pre `94 with poly bushing from kl racing, changed gearbox torque mount bigger bushing to poly one, right side mount to MPRE custom one, did some PCV "fix" for high boost and waiting for my exhaust manifold to be finished. Like allways, when i`m doing something to the car, keep forgeting to make pictures :D if everything will go by the plan, car should be runing in a week, max two.

#13 ·
Thanks for sharing about this intriguing build. Dumb question: I've never seen an exhaust manifold like that. Could the stock R manifold not be modified to work with that turbo, or could you explain the thinking behind that design?

#14 ·
That tubular header will outflow all the stock manifolds. "R manifold" is pretty bottlenecked by design. They were designed to save $ not for performance.

#16 ·
Manifold is finally rdy, machined flanges surfaces to be flat, did some hammering to few runners, needed to make 2mm extra clearance near valve cover :) Turbo is in! Cold side had to be clocked a little more, than it is on the photo. I`m surprised how much room left everywhere around turbo (except rear pillow bracket)

#17 ·
So i`ve been working on car past few weeks almost at nights, to get it ready for local drag event (1/4 mile). Only few photos from all finishing touches :( Got car tuned only few days before event, no time even to learn how it drives, but i`m very happy how this family sedan turned out. Pulls like a train (need cams, spings, engine feels like it asks for more rev range, ol), no leaks, no bugs, spent all weekend driving quarter mile 1 run after another with 33+ temperature outside, very hot day. IAT was 50-60, sometimes 70c, car holds like a tank :D Drag event was held in one of town public streets, so u can`t expect good grip there. I also saw how bad is "drift" semi-slick tyres with huge TW numbers, needs loooots of heat to even start to work a bit. On the dyno we had falling boost, not reaching it`s target, supposed to hold 2.1bar, but ended with 2bar, i think with 2.2 solid, on colder day, could be 600 easy. 1st day we tuned with 6800rpm rev limited (don`t ask why, tune error), we made 500 with 1.85bar, played with ignition, a bit more boost, and few runs later 550 with 2.1bar, power peak@6.2k rpm. Fixed bugs, went on dyno next day, a bit hotter day, +10c higher intake temps, just with rev limiter set at 7500, made 564, even boost was a bit lower :)

#20 ·
Finally got my XC bumper "mod" done :) Wanted to do this for over a year allready
Ooooo that looks good with the wiper delete

#21 ·
Volvo S70 big turbo street/drag build

Short story of my car, wich i bought in 2015, from factoy it had 2.5 142kw engine...

1 month pure stock, then tune to 160kw. Not enough, bought 16t turbo. Local guy tuned motronic 4.4, made pops and bangs, was fun ?never went to dyno, butt dyno says it had around 190kw. Broke engine after summer, bent all rods coz i didn`t care about engine health anymore since i knew it wont hold 300+ safe.

2.0l 132kw engine from s60 (the one with 9.5 compression)

k24 turbo, e85, walbro 255, siemens deka 630cc, some crap fmic from iveco daily, self tuned, made 302hp/500nm at 1bar, was very rich at dyno, lots of misfires coz of that (at street was all perfect at 1.6 overboost, tappering to 1.4 bar, guesses around 330hp, but turbo was old, tired, broke the turbo after 3 months of driving). Bought forged rods, opened engine, and then realised 139.5 ones wont fin. Overall engine was in good shape, but i was lazy to put it back together, everything went to metal, oh well... Then bought hx35 turbo with 54mm 7 blades wheel and started to look for b5234t engine.*

Found engine, with forged rods, very cheap, had only 4k km after rebuild. Skipped year, was gathering parts suchs as full alu radiator, tubular manifold, 600x300x100mm intercooler, piping, brakes, wheels, standalone ecu..

Winter ended with making all engine wiring for Ecumaster Emu Classic, puting brakes, etc.

Found Brembo calipers from alfa romeo, bought Rottinger slotted disk, 336mm front, stock diameter rear. Ferodo premier pads, some nice BBS wheels, 8j front, 9j rear. with 225/45 semi slick tyres up front, 245/40 rear. Also changed fuel pump to Walbro 450, did some wiring upgrade for it, also bought siemens deka 875cc injectors, FPR regulator. After puting everything together, spent maybe a week, till i managed to start the car with standalone ecu without tune, no base map, nothing, 5 evenings sent just to make the car start.. Few more days to make it run from garage on herself. And sadly, engine wasn`t in so good shape as i thought, 30km later, just when i went for base tune to a locar tuner, lost oil pressure at 1.3 bar WOT 3rd gear, spun all bearings, 2 rods became black, 2 bearrings melted and became part of crank, yay! Good thing i had crank from 2017 season engine and new set of cxracing rods. Rebuilded engine with new crank, new rods, stock pistons and rings was still in good shape, so i left them. King racing rods bearing, King main bearings, D5 oil cooler, etc etc. Finally engine was runing great, did 100km break in, changed oil for Valvoline vr1 10w60, went to tune it again. Lots of boost leaks, boost coming very slow ant late, 1.5 bar 435ag/580nm... Tuner said my engine cant breath or turbo is maxed out (boost solenoid DC at 50% only, with 0.8 bar base pressure spring. Okay, weekend at garage, fixing boost leaks. Decided to tune it myself, since i had pretty much good map allready, good ignition table. 1.9 bar "overboost" tappering to 1.8 at 6k, 1.7 at 7k rpm(or backpressure, or wastegate spring was over, 100% duty cycle and couldn`t raise boost anymore). Injectors duty ~88-90% at 3.5bar base fuel pressure (siemends deka 875cc@3bar). 449ag/644nm, sounds a bit better, finnaly car is kinda fast, even without LSD i managed to make 0-100kmh in 5.5s, and 9s 1/8 mile in few tries, even did 8s 100-200 with rolling anti-lag. Without it, best i managed, was 8.6 (rev`ing to 6.8, when no point to rev more than 6.2 as i saw later, after looking at logs and trying different variations of gear change). Boost by gear* helps a lot. Sadly, B.itch broke after 1.2k km......

Some pictures from build before engine decided to brake.

And look what broke! Log was clean, no detonation, no lean afr, nothing bad. Just few pulls, and lots of smoke...* Spark plugs looks good, still have no idea what went wrong ?Bye bye cylinder #5. Funny thing, all rest looks good, pistons, rods, rings, ringlands, bearings, everything good everywhere except #5..* TBH even #5 piston didn`t broke, just melted a bit from cylinder wall.

Cyl #5 rod bearings, ony ones wich in bad shape

Piston looks like it hit the head, but on head no marks indicating this happened, also i don`t understand how this is possible, unless crank broke, or somehow it got bent in few pulls. Coz this happened few days after last dyno. Overall i drove around 400km with 1.8-1.9 bar, and i took this car to drive not for simple cruise, but for WOT runs,* to have some fun. (don`t mind grooves from valves, not my job, old engine owner broke smth, and used these pistons in next engine, budget builds, you know... ?*)

Got tired of braking stuff. Bought built b5204t (that old one, with 77 stroke, 8.4 comp. ratio). Engine was built 5 years ago for drag racing, by local builders who proven by community, they have hands how to build engines. Domes around cylinders, custom head studs, custom FCP rods (4mm wider than china ones). Fully rebuilt and ported head with hidro lifters. All cleaned, changed what was necessary, everything measured. Engine was never fired, a guy left project for few years. Took it apart for cleaning, didn`t liked glyco bearings (not sputter ones, wtf).* The difference of rods/pistons 2.0 v
Gonna have to buy KL Racing intake manifold, "fix" it, probably remake exhaust manifold, since i`ll go for hx40 super with 60mm wheel, i don`t think turbo will fir anymore in old location, also with such wastegate location, i`m limited to 3inch downpipe. Bosch 1700cc injectors, maybe walbro 525 or DW400 fuel pump, quafie LSD, maybe bc racing coilovers, if winter will be good with job and paychecks ?*small goal is to reach 5s 0-100, 12.5s 1/4 mile, 7s 100-200. 550 at the crank should be enough, with flatshift maybe even just a bit over 500.
I don't get how you'd need 500 for 12.5 ive seen 20t and 22t stock frame turbos in the mid 300 range run mid 12s....

#23 ·
on drag strip yeah, its possible go 12`s with 400hp or empty chassis... My times is on the street, thats way slower, than it can be on prep track :)

anyway. still waiting for my block to get back from latvia with closed deck mod. Bought catcams goodies, new ecu (maxxecu race). Will do individual egt, coolant pressure loging, fuel cooling, a bit of small upgrades, for 700whp this year. Need to get into 11`s with full interior, on the street

#27 ·
LSD... what you take before you drive this Beast!!! :devilish:

• Haha
  • Helpful
Reactions: JaredR and V50_M66
#28 ·
Actually. I read through this thread last night and kept thinking "Holy sh!t, this guy is a madman"
This build is nuts, and I love it.

Reactions: Yolomcswagicorn
#29 ·
Forgot this forum over the years. Soo some updates. Same setup, just new cams. Almost 600 to the crank on 1.6 bar boost and still some ignition left. Sad part, gearbox fighting me on 8500rpm and fast shift. Will try newer gearbox with 23 splines shaft, new clutch master cylinder, new braided hose, etc. Plan is to try go to 700hp this year, utilize maxxecu traction control and flatshift strategies at last (didnt play with thoose yet, coz of old tyres and braking gearboxes, those syncros and input shafts hates me)
Rectangle Line Slope Font Parallel

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Suspension

#30 ·
Congrats. Those are huge numbers for these engines. Not many have achieved--and obviously comes with a host of headaches to work through, which you are addressing. Thanks for sharing. What was the cam change? Also, would love to see/hear the car via a video clip.

Reactions: Yolomcswagicorn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.