Are there any options you would like that aren't available in your market?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 78
    1. #1
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      170

      Are there any options you would like that aren't available in your market?

      Thinking of speccing an XC60 and I really wish laminated glass and amber turn signals were available as options in the United States (or at least via OSD - though I understand that only options generally available in the US are available for US OSD customers these days.) Are there other options that you know of that are available elsewhere that you wish were available to you?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      105
      d5, manual transmission and v40

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Roadtrip counter clockwise around USA
      Posts
      64
      Volvo Active High Beam

      360 reverse camera on by default

      Basically features that Ford and GM lobbying blocked

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      186
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Thinking of speccing an XC60 and I really wish laminated glass and amber turn signals were available as options in the United States (or at least via OSD - though I understand that only options generally available in the US are available for US OSD customers these days.) Are there other options that you know of that are available elsewhere that you wish were available to you?
      custom license plates

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      58
      Yup, I want Volvo On Call, but it's not available. Worse than that, they don't even install the hardware in my region (Japan). There's not even a modem or place to put the sim card. :@

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      No. VA
      Posts
      203
      Amber turn signals. Saw it on a UK spec XC60 yesterday.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

      Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

    9. #7
      Junior Member Dilinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Location
      Athens,Greece
      Posts
      176
      I wish i could press VOC and speak to a person about finding places like in some other countries.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

    10. #8
      Junior Member Dilinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Location
      Athens,Greece
      Posts
      176
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Thinking of speccing an XC60 and I really wish laminated glass and amber turn signals were available as options in the United States (or at least via OSD - though I understand that only options generally available in the US are available for US OSD customers these days.) Are there other options that you know of that are available elsewhere that you wish were available to you?
      amber are white?
      i thought us had orange lights=amber?
      aren’t osd supposed to be market compliant?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

    11. #9
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      170
      Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      amber are white?
      i thought us had orange lights=amber?
      aren’t osd supposed to be market compliant?
      I was referring to rear turn indicators. On US cars they're red and in Europe (and who knows where else) they're amber.

    12. #10
      Junior Member stocis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      Cyprus
      Posts
      186
      I think the red turn signals are a thing that only US has.

      Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      I wish i could press VOC and speak to a person about finding places like in some other countries.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      that might happen if they develop/update volvo on call app with siri.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2008 Volvo C70, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      100

      Are there any options you would like that aren't available in your market?

      Amber rear turn signals. Canada officially ‘prefers’ EU standard lights but won’t insist on them as the Detroit Three don’t want them. I am sure that one can order the EU rear light units from an aftermarket supplier in the USA but if they are anything like the Audi Q5 ones they would be a couple of thousand for the pair and would need some rewiring.

      On the plus side at least Volvo have the rear lights on with the DRLs which few cars do. FWIW the Detroit Three lobbied against that as well when Canada mandated DRLs back then.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      337
      Yes a button for the 360 camera would be nice.....I often use it to check my parking..trying to avoid door dings as much as possible!
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

    15. #13
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      170
      Quote Originally Posted by timlocke View Post
      Amber rear turn signals. Canada officially ‘prefers’ EU standard lights but won’t insist on them as the Detroit Three don’t want them. I am sure that one can order the EU rear light units from an aftermarket supplier in the USA but if they are anything like the Audi Q5 ones they would be a couple of thousand for the pair and would need some rewiring.

      On the plus side at least Volvo have the rear lights on with the DRLs which few cars do. FWIW the Detroit Three lobbied against that as well when Canada mandated DRLs back then.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Good thought on replacing them. Expensive but at least it says there's no rewiring needed:
      https://www.vivaperformance.com/genu...lvo-xc60-2018/

    16. #14
      Junior Member ndotym's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      L.A.
      Posts
      221
      Are the Amber tail light legals in the US, they can be ordered, i like to have them but i live LA united states and there so critical the US specs.

    17. #15
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      170
      Quote Originally Posted by ndotym View Post
      Are the Amber tail light legals in the US, they can be ordered, i like to have them but i live LA united states and there so critical the US specs.
      In general they are legal - I believe Volvo used them up until recently and I'm pretty sure others still do. I don't know if there's some rule somewhere that says that a car imported with red lights can't be changed to amber. Hopefully someone with that knowledge can pipe up.

    18. #16
      Junior Member s5156's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2017
      Location
      Adelaide, Australia
      Posts
      123
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Good thought on replacing them. Expensive but at least it says there's no rewiring needed:
      https://www.vivaperformance.com/genu...lvo-xc60-2018/
      Hi..
      there are a number of threads on here about Europe spec rear lights.. it seems as though the US is the only country that has RED rear indicators I don't know why as they can easily be confused for brake lights (given a quick glance). Here in Aust they are amber when blinking (but appear to be red when not operating) which is what I think most people are talking about.

      I understand that some US owners have bought them from Aust. There are very detailed threads on how to change them over (a reasonable amount of dis-assembly is required to actually "get to the lights" but if you have the time and are careful it's not that hard.

      I don't understand why the US manufacturers would want to "lobby" for keeping them red.. most of their models (that are exported) MUST have "amber" to meet export market laws and it makes NO sense (cost wise) to be making 2 different types of the same thing. All US made vehicles that are exported to Aust have amber rear blinkers.... I can understand that different states have different laws (although for administration purposes I don't see why), it's the same here in Aust, but we do have national Aust Design Rules for all vehicles e.g. no matter what state, they must meet these rules, so there is NO confusion about what is legal and what is not... most states here also have annual vehicle inspections to ensure road worthiness, as part of our annual vehicle registration.

      As an aside, someone mentioned "custom plates".. these of course wouldn't be part of an "option package" from Volvo, but here in Aust most states have official custom plates that can be designed and purchased through our motor registration process. I have them and the link is here:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BRi...ew?usp=sharing

      The other thing here, there is only ONE state (Western Aust) where radar detectors are legal... which is a shame as most of us run them, I have heard if they are found the cops take them and smash them on the road (it save paperwork I expect).... whilst I don't encourage them or endorse speeding, I have one and it's saved me a few times. I run it sitting on the centre armrest see this link (some dash cam install images in here as well):
      https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...iZ?usp=sharing

      Anyway..I got a bit off track there... cheers to all, have a great festive season whatever your choice of celebration is.
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

    19. #17
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      291
      SENSUS in other markets has features that our version does not (such as warnings for speed cameras).
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    20. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      291
      Quote Originally Posted by GNU View Post
      Volvo Active High Beam

      360 reverse camera on by default

      Basically features that Ford and GM lobbying blocked
      My last car (which was a Ford - a Lincoln Nautilus) had 360 camera by default when backing up.

      The active headlights has never been legal in the states, and I don't think Ford and GM are particularly opposed to it. However, I'd be lying if I said I had any clue as to the underlying politics.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    21. #19
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      85
      A physical button or a button on sensus while reversing or in park assist menu for 360 Camera view like in my sister's 2013 Nissan Rouge
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

    22. #20
      Junior Member Catfiend's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Location
      Olympic Peninsula
      Posts
      170
      I suppose I should have clarified. I really was thinking of things that are available on the XC60, just not in your market. Things like laminated side windows in the United States or Volvo On Call in Japan (which is a strange omission to my mind.)

    23. #21
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      No. VA
      Posts
      203
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      I suppose I should have clarified. I really was thinking of things that are available on the XC60, just not in your market. Things like laminated side windows in the United States or Volvo On Call in Japan (which is a strange omission to my mind.)
      And it would be nice if folks indicated what market they are in.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

      Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

    24. #22
      Junior Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      871
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      I suppose I should have clarified. I really was thinking of things that are available on the XC60, just not in your market. Things like laminated side windows in the United States or Volvo On Call in Japan (which is a strange omission to my mind.)
      Volvo On Call does not exist in many countries in the Middle East, Asia and Africa because they do not have a contract with local mobile network operators or are not permitted by the laws of those countries.
      Last edited by BigBang; 12-24-2019 at 03:04 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      100
      Quote Originally Posted by s5156 View Post
      Hi..
      there are a number of threads on here about Europe spec rear lights.. it seems as though the US is the only country that has RED rear indicators I don't know why as they can easily be confused for brake lights (given a quick glance). Here in Aust they are amber when blinking (but appear to be red when not operating) which is what I think most people are talking about.

      I understand that some US owners have bought them from Aust. There are very detailed threads on how to change them over (a reasonable amount of dis-assembly is required to actually "get to the lights" but if you have the time and are careful it's not that hard.

      I don't understand why the US manufacturers would want to "lobby" for keeping them red.. most of their models (that are exported) MUST have "amber" to meet export market laws and it makes NO sense (cost wise) to be making 2 different types of the same thing.
      ... snip
      The reasons that I read at the time as to why the Detroit three were against amber rear indicators on Canada were
      A). They make/made a lot of cars in Canada and did not want to be forced to make different cars for Canada as most of their output would go the the USA.
      B) In the USA having the indicator and brake light share a bulb as two different filaments is legal and amber indicators would not allow that.
      C ). IIRC because of B they argued that the light housings would be more expensive for the consumers.
      D) Probably another reason or two.

      FWIW they also argued against having the rear lights on with the DRLs was because it would lead to the lights burning out sooner and then people would be driving with no taillights.




      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    26. #24
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      730
      Polestar Software/Tuning for MY19 T8's is my Christmas wish for options not available.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    27. #25
      Member Gary-16-Xc90's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Twin Cities, MN
      Posts
      2,771
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      Volvo On Call does not exist in many countries in the Middle East, Asia and Africa because they do not have a contract with local mobile network operators or are not permitted by the laws of those countries.
      Hmm. Kind of like most manufacturers...
      Availability of [Audi connect] depends on the country and model.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 12-25-2019 at 10:28 AM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

    28. #26
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Roadtrip counter clockwise around USA
      Posts
      64
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      My last car (which was a Ford - a Lincoln Nautilus) had 360 camera by default when backing up.

      The active headlights has never been legal in the states, and I don't think Ford and GM are particularly opposed to it. However, I'd be lying if I said I had any clue as to the underlying politics.
      That’s because it was made earlier than 2015. They lobbied to make rear facing camera mandatory and newer tech illegal. Volvo let you use 360 cameras on early XC90 2016s but changed that in a FW update to be compliant.

      And they never will. The law around headlights is written to prevent new competing tech. Lobbying is cheaper than RnD.

    29. #27
      Junior Member p07r0457's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      74
      Quote Originally Posted by GNU View Post
      Volvo Active High Beam

      360 reverse camera on by default

      Basically features that Ford and GM lobbying blocked
      The Active High Beam would be cool, although I'm okay with the "auto" high beam that we do get. I just wish it would persist the setting so it would stay "enabled".

      I really wish we could have the 360 reverse camera on by default. That is a peeve of mine.

      Another peeve is when the vehicle proximity sensors detect something they display a BLACK screen with vehicle sillouette and the sensor overlay. WHY? I have a 360 camera! Show me the damn camera! And if I try to close the sensor window and open the camera 80% of the time the sensor will re-activate the overlay and prevent me from getting to the camera. I have to try it multiple times until I finally get it before the sensors re-trigger. The funny thing is that once you are on the camera screen, the sensor data DOES overlay the 360 camera feed... So Volvo did implement the software. But for some reason they don't open the better view! So frustrating.

      Quote Originally Posted by GNU View Post
      That’s because it was made earlier than 2015. They lobbied to make rear facing camera mandatory and newer tech illegal. Volvo let you use 360 cameras on early XC90 2016s but changed that in a FW update to be compliant.
      I had a 2017 Acura MDX that defaulted to the 360 camera. So I don't think it's a 2015 law.

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      291
      My last vehicle wasn't built before 2015 and I test drove multiple vehicles that had the 360 camera pop up by default before I bought my xc60 (7 months ago).

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Roadtrip counter clockwise around USA
      Posts
      64

      Are there any options you would like that aren't available in your market?

      Quote Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
      The Active High Beam would be cool, although I'm okay with the "auto" high beam that we do get. I just wish it would persist the setting so it would stay "enabled".

      I really wish we could have the 360 reverse camera on by default. That is a peeve of mine.

      Another peeve is when the vehicle proximity sensors detect something they display a BLACK screen with vehicle sillouette and the sensor overlay. WHY? I have a 360 camera! Show me the damn camera! And if I try to close the sensor window and open the camera 80% of the time the sensor will re-activate the overlay and prevent me from getting to the camera. I have to try it multiple times until I finally get it before the sensors re-trigger. The funny thing is that once you are on the camera screen, the sensor data DOES overlay the 360 camera feed... So Volvo did implement the software. But for some reason they don't open the better view! So frustrating.



      I had a 2017 Acura MDX that defaulted to the 360 camera. So I don't think it's a 2015 law.
      It’s actually a 2008 law that gave manufacturers some time to comply.
      I googled “backup camera USA” and found this. The law was written with advisors (read lobbying) from car manufacturers:

      https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/572079002

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      34
      orange turn light signals on the back. my car is red. everything is red from behind (except the reverse lights)!

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      11

      Blind-Spot Mirrors

      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      Thinking of speccing an XC60 and I really wish laminated glass and amber turn signals were available as options in the United States (or at least via OSD - though I understand that only options generally available in the US are available for US OSD customers these days.) Are there other options that you know of that are available elsewhere that you wish were available to you?
      I rented a XC60 in the UK in november 2019. It was an Inscription pack but didn't have BLISS instead it had built in blind-spot mirrors with the bendy piece at the edge so I could see all of the blind-spot while driving. I've seen this on many cars in Europe for years and yet the Volvo dealer here doesn't provide it. I think its more effective than BLISS and cheaper.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      2019 XC40 T5 Momentum
      2016 XC90 T6 Momentum
      2015 Ford Explorer XLT
      2013 XC70 3.2
      2010 Audi Q7 3.0D
      2006 XC70 2.5
      2004 Ford Explorer
      2004 XC70 2.5
      2003 SaaB 9-5 2.0 Chipped
      1996 850 2.5
      1988 Saab 9000 2.0
      1984 Volvo 360 XLT 2.0
      1981 Volvo 340 1.1
      1974 VW Golf 1.1

    34. #32
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,485
      Quote Originally Posted by volvosince89 View Post
      I rented a XC60 in the UK in november 2019. It was an Inscription pack but didn't have BLISS instead it had built in blind-spot mirrors with the bendy piece at the edge so I could see all of the blind-spot while driving. I've seen this on many cars in Europe for years and yet the Volvo dealer here doesn't provide it. I think its more effective than BLISS and cheaper.
      I have those on another car but my aged eyes can't see the cars in the blind zone mirror as they are too small. It is even more difficult at night. The warning light on mirror is much better. And it steers you back in case there is a car in blind zone when you change lane.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    35. #33
      Junior Member DoctorAce's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      14
      Do some markets still offer the XC60 rear floor with the pop-up shopping bag holder?

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      291
      Quote Originally Posted by DoctorAce View Post
      Do some markets still offer the XC60 rear floor with the pop-up shopping bag holder?
      I don't think so. A few posters have asked about it in the Facebook forum (which is very international) and nobody seems to have it.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      291
      Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I have those on another car but my aged eyes can't see the cars in the blind zone mirror as they are too small. It is even more difficult at night. The warning light on mirror is much better. And it steers you back in case there is a car in blind zone when you change lane.

      Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      I have aging eyes as well, and agree with you.

      Some Fords still have those tiny mirrors instead of the lights. I like the lights way better.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. System shows new updates are available but there aren’t any
      By Sidwin in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 10-09-2018, 01:55 AM
    2. Replies: 6
      Last Post: 05-24-2014, 10:43 PM
    3. With $3/gallon aren't you glad you bought an S60?...
      By BrunoS in forum S60 (2001-2010)
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: 09-26-2005, 01:02 PM
    4. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:01 PM
    5. How come there aren't "any" XC90's in Dallas??
      By Mr. P in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 08-26-2004, 06:27 PM