2020 xc60 - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 82

    Thread: 2020 xc60

    1. #36
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Location
      Western NY
      Posts
      66
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #37
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      398
      To the OP, my advice with regard to reliability is to always ignore anecdotes and look at the data. I think the best source of data is CONSUMER REPORTS.

      XC60 is about average reliability, about on par with X3, Q5, and GLC.

      However, Volvo as a brand is below average. Most of that is due to the XC90, which has been relatively unreliable in SPA form.

      It won't be as reliable as a Lexus, but it should be OK if you maintain it properly.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    4. #38
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      TN
      Posts
      226
      Quote Originally Posted by bmcginn53 View Post
      My wife and I are currently looking at a new SUV. We’ve narrowed our choices to the XC60 and BMW X3. We’ve owned tons of BMW’s but have never owned a Volvo. We’ve driven the X3 and it’s fine, but we really like the look of the Volvo and were going to schedule a test drive in the next week, but I’ve been reading some of the horror stories of quality control and vibration issues. Would love to get more color on how reliable this vehicle is. Thank you.
      My 2018 XC60 is my 7th Volvo & is a fantastic & reliable vehicle. I have owned (2) BMW's in the past & test drove an X3 when purchasing my XC60.

      1- In my experience, Volvos are significantly less expensive to maintain.
      2- I have over 32k miles & the only issue was a software glitch in the air suspension which occurred at almost 30k miles & was quickly fixed by the dealer.
      3- Comfort is a major issue since I drive a lot & have some back & neck issues. The Volvo seats are incredibly comfortable for hours on end. In my opinion (& it is a matter of personal opinion) the Volvo is much more comfortable.
      4- Yes, the X3 handles better & feels sportier. But this (XC60) is an all purpose SUV/CUV, not a sports car. It does a great job hauling family, pets, & stuff from the home improvement store, as well as making a great cruiser for long road trips.
      5- And in my case, the T6 drivetrain with Polestar has plenty of pep for spirited driving & acceleration when needed or wanted.

      Any manufacturer can have an occasional lemon. Work with the best dealer possible as in any vehicle, Volvo included, there are some dealers that are not as good as others.
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #39
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      NC USA
      Posts
      344
      Quote Originally Posted by njlime View Post
      My 2018 XC60 is my 7th Volvo & is a fantastic & reliable vehicle. I have owned (2) BMW's in the past & test drove an X3 when purchasing my XC60.

      1- In my experience, Volvos are significantly less expensive to maintain.
      2- I have over 32k miles & the only issue was a software glitch in the air suspension which occurred at almost 30k miles & was quickly fixed by the dealer.
      3- Comfort is a major issue since I drive a lot & have some back & neck issues. The Volvo seats are incredibly comfortable for hours on end. In my opinion (& it is a matter of personal opinion) the Volvo is much more comfortable.
      4- Yes, the X3 handles better & feels sportier. But this (XC60) is an all purpose SUV/CUV, not a sports car. It does a great job hauling family, pets, & stuff from the home improvement store, as well as making a great cruiser for long road trips.
      5- And in my case, the T6 drivetrain with Polestar has plenty of pep for spirited driving & acceleration when needed or wanted.

      Any manufacturer can have an occasional lemon. Work with the best dealer possible as in any vehicle, Volvo included, there are some dealers that are not as good as others.

      I concur. We just picked up our 6th Volvo, 4th XC60, and it has been a totally great experience. When you buy into the new (and yes--different) technology, you will appreciate the wisdom of the total design. Yes, the right dealer makes all the difference.


      A lot of the weirdly negative posts on all of Swedespeed seem noticeably like "TROLL BAIT." Volvo's recent record breaking sales world-wide may make other brand fanboys nervous.
      Last edited by jowillie; 12-25-2019 at 10:08 AM.
      2013 XC60>2015.5 XC60>2018 XC60, 2020 XC60.
      2016 XC90 Inscription>2018 XC90 R-Design Polestar

    7. #40
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2004
      Posts
      14
      Quote Originally Posted by bmcginn53 View Post
      My wife and I are currently looking at a new SUV. We’ve narrowed our choices to the XC60 and BMW X3. We’ve owned tons of BMW’s but have never owned a Volvo. We’ve driven the X3 and it’s fine, but we really like the look of the Volvo and were going to schedule a test drive in the next week, but I’ve been reading some of the horror stories of quality control and vibration issues. Would love to get more color on how reliable this vehicle is. Thank you.
      So we have 28k miles on a 2018 XC60 T6 with Polestar upgrade.

      We also owned a 2010 XC60 T6 R-Design that we traded in at 93k. Different vehicle in all aspects except name.

      We haven’t had any issues of note on our new one except for the foam that Continental puts in the tires to reduce noise. That came loose and had to be fixed.

      We bought extended warranty out to 100k as well as the services, went through Steingold instead of our local dealer. Also used Costco auto program, as the XC60 was still new enough that the local dealer didn’t want to deal (only one in the metro area, and it’s doing well).

      Our dealer is wonderful.

      I also own a BMW. The local dealer is horrible. Horrible to the point where I don’t want to deal with them and will not get another BMW.

      Frankly, the Volvo is far more comfortable than BMWs are. I don’t think they are any less reliable. I’ve had better dealer experiences. They look nicer. You feel less nickel and dimed.

    8. #41
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Location
      Bonney Lake, WA
      Posts
      15
      We have almost 50K on our XC90 R Design. Did the whole overseas delivery and I couldn’t be happier. I actually thought we would be getting rid of it by now assuming we would have issues here and there and it’s been great. Few minor issues here and there. As of 40K I do my own maintenance and with YouTube it’s been a breeze. Obviously my own experience but I’d buy another. I think those XC60’s are sharp and when we are ready to shrink that could be the one. I also have a BMW 328 and Audi A4, find them all about the same as far as maintenance and reliability. Again, I do my own work on them so I always perform the recommended service, it helps. I follow the manufactures guidelines, not the dealers “suggested” maintenance schedule.
      Last edited by djspeedbump; 12-25-2019 at 12:38 PM.
      2017 Volvo XC90 R-Type
      2016 Ford F-150 Platinum
      2018 VW Golf Sportwagon 4Motion
      1979 Unimog 416 Doka (Selling)
      1967 Camaro RS/SS
      2011 BMW 328i Convertible
      2001 Eurovan Westfalia (Selling)

    9. #42
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Posts
      596
      Quote Originally Posted by jowillie View Post
      [FONT=Verdana]
      I concur. We just picked up our 6th Volvo, 4th XC60, and it has been a totally great experience.
      I find this comment curious. Not a criticism, just my brain goes "whoa, that sounds expensive". The fact that you're happy does say a lot, but what says more to, again, my brain, is, we have nearly 100,000 miles on our P3 XC60 and would do it again, in spite of getting what I feel was a "defective" engine. Volvo did the right thing for us. I would have liked a little more to get out of the car and get a 5 cylinder P3, but the second engine worked out fine, so I'm satisfied.

      What does that mean on a SPA XC60? Well, I'm super nervous about the 4 cylinder twin charged engines. Not sure what the reduced power issue is, but would I would lose my mind if I spent $50k and had to deal with it. I have not been able to uncover any details on why these little engines can be run that much harder than before and feel like it's a law of averages. A law I break regularly, being an outlier aggressive driver. I tuned my 2.5T to something close to 300hp/350ftlbs and know I'm pushing it, but with a Ward's best architecture that's been proven for 30 years. Maybe in another 5 years I'll change my mind on the new engine, but for now the only version I would buy is the T8 that lets an electric motor take the brunt of my heavy right foot. A T7 (T5 + electric) would be fine, too.

      If you are a below 90th percentile driver, you have nothing to worry about.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 (280hp/340ftlbs) C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed!
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

    10. #43
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      22
      2020 Volvo XC60 or BMW X3?
      I have had more Volvos than BMWs and found them to be different.
      BMW is sportier and better engineered, and Volvo is roomier and more luxurious.
      My experience with Volvo reliability has been favorable despite Consumer Reports and forum posts. However, Volvo dealership incompetence [in "big three country" (Michigan)] is beyond frustrating.
      My best advice is go with what feels best during test drive, and always avoid base model. Get engine upgrade and packages you want. Look at warranty extension options if you will drive beyond new car warranty as both makes are expensive to service. Also, look at your dealership loaner options.
      Lastly, Edmunds is a good source of information.
      Last edited by srs; 12-25-2019 at 10:01 PM.

    11. #44
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,131
      Quote Originally Posted by dbphillips View Post
      I find this comment curious. Not a criticism, just my brain goes "whoa, that sounds expensive". The fact that you're happy does say a lot, but what says more to, again, my brain, is, we have nearly 100,000 miles on our P3 XC60 and would do it again, in spite of getting what I feel was a "defective" engine. Volvo did the right thing for us. I would have liked a little more to get out of the car and get a 5 cylinder P3, but the second engine worked out fine, so I'm satisfied.

      What does that mean on a SPA XC60? Well, I'm super nervous about the 4 cylinder twin charged engines. Not sure what the reduced power issue is, but would I would lose my mind if I spent $50k and had to deal with it. I have not been able to uncover any details on why these little engines can be run that much harder than before and feel like it's a law of averages. A law I break regularly, being an outlier aggressive driver. I tuned my 2.5T to something close to 300hp/350ftlbs and know I'm pushing it, but with a Ward's best architecture that's been proven for 30 years. Maybe in another 5 years I'll change my mind on the new engine, but for now the only version I would buy is the T8 that lets an electric motor take the brunt of my heavy right foot. A T7 (T5 + electric) would be fine, too.

      If you are a below 90th percentile driver, you have nothing to worry about.
      Guys,

      Enough with the fallacy “these little engines run harder”...as a matter of fact, the 5-cyl engines with the SIX speed transmissions ran at higher rpm when compared to these engines. Same goes for the 3.0L 6-cyl engine.

      The 8-speed transmission does a fantastic job working with the new engines, producing more power at slightly lower rpms.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    12. #45
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Posts
      2
      Thank you very much for all the thoughtful comments and experience with Volvo’s. We’re going to test drive the X3 and XC60 and see which we like better.

    13. #46
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      398
      Quote Originally Posted by bmcginn53 View Post
      Thank you very much for all the thoughtful comments and experience with Volvo’s. We’re going to test drive the X3 and XC60 and see which we like better.
      My advice is to pay a lot of attention to seating comfort. The X3 ONLY comes with sport seats. I like to drive with my legs spread and the bolsters on the bottom of the seat dug into my leg. I had that same problem on a few other vehicles and I'm not a particularly large guy.

      The X3 is a really, really nice vehicle though.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    14. #47
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Posts
      40
      Your car is sharp. What color/package is it?

    15. #48
      Member BigBang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      World
      Posts
      1,133
      Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      My advice is to pay a lot of attention to seating comfort. The X3 ONLY comes with sport seats. I like to drive with my legs spread and the bolsters on the bottom of the seat dug into my leg. I had that same problem on a few other vehicles and I'm not a particularly large guy.

      The X3 is a really, really nice vehicle though.
      It is not true that all models have sports seats. You need to learn what are the sports seats in the BMW

      Only the M models have sports seats, as in the pictures



      M model sports seat for an extra charge



      Standard seat
      Last edited by BigBang; 12-27-2019 at 11:06 AM.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

    16. #49
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Posts
      40
      Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      Ive done 3700 miles in mine (B4) so far and no issues in the 2.5 months I’ve had it

      Your car is sharp. What color/package is it?

    17. #50
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      206

      2020 xc60

      Quote Originally Posted by Lexillent1 View Post
      Your car is sharp. What color/package is it?
      B4 Inscription Pro in osmium grey with blonde interior, I also added the intellisafe and xenium packs, heated rear seats and a spare wheel.

      Model Year
      (2020)
      2020
      Type
      (246)
      XC60
      Model Description Full Name
      (246K5180C215)
      B4 Diesel AWD Inscription Pro Automatic
      Engine
      (K5)
      B4 Diesel AWD
      Sales Version
      (18)
      Inscription Pro
      Gearbox
      (C)
      Automatic
      Colour
      (71400)
      714 Osmium Grey
      Upholstery
      (UC0000)
      UC00 Blond/Charcoal
      Option Package
      (MCA20) Intellisafe Pro
      (000132) Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control
      (000603) Intellisafe Surround (Blind Spot Information System with Steer Assist, Cross Traffic Alert with Autobrake and Rear Collision Mitigation)
      (MCA22) Xenium Pack
      (000005) 4-Zone Electronic Climate Control and Cooled Glovebox
      (000139) Parking Camera 360* Surround View
      (000030) Power Glass Tilt and Slide Panoramic Sunroof with Sun Curtain
      (000870) Park Assist Pilot (includes Front and Rear Park Assist)
      Option
      (000165)
      Tempa Spare Wheel and Jack
      (000752)
      Heated Rear Seats - Outer Positions
      (000440)
      Metal Mesh Inlays
      (001011)
      20" 5 Double Spoke (Diamond Cut/Tech Black) with 255/45 Tyres

    18. #51
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      No. VA
      Posts
      322
      Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      B4 Inscription Pro in osmium grey with blonde interior, I also added the intellisafe and xenium packs, heated rear seats and a spare wheel.

      Model Year
      (2020)
      2020
      Type
      (246)
      XC60
      Model Description Full Name
      (246K5180C215)
      B4 Diesel AWD Inscription Pro Automatic
      Engine
      (K5)
      B4 Diesel AWD
      Sales Version
      (18)
      Inscription Pro
      Gearbox
      (C)
      Automatic
      Colour
      (71400)
      714 Osmium Grey
      Upholstery
      (UC0000)
      UC00 Blond/Charcoal
      Option Package
      (MCA20) Intellisafe Pro
      (000132) Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control
      (000603) Intellisafe Surround (Blind Spot Information System with Steer Assist, Cross Traffic Alert with Autobrake and Rear Collision Mitigation)
      (MCA22) Xenium Pack
      (000005) 4-Zone Electronic Climate Control and Cooled Glovebox
      (000139) Parking Camera 360* Surround View
      (000030) Power Glass Tilt and Slide Panoramic Sunroof with Sun Curtain
      (000870) Park Assist Pilot (includes Front and Rear Park Assist)
      Option
      (000165)
      Tempa Spare Wheel and Jack
      (000752)
      Heated Rear Seats - Outer Positions
      (000440)
      Metal Mesh Inlays
      (001011)
      20" 5 Double Spoke (Diamond Cut/Tech Black) with 255/45 Tyres
      What country are you in?
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

      His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats


      Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

    19. #52
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      206
      Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      What country are you in?
      Great Britain

    20. #53
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Posts
      596
      Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Guys,

      Enough with the fallacy “these little engines run harder”...as a matter of fact, the 5-cyl engines with the SIX speed transmissions ran at higher rpm when compared to these engines. Same goes for the 3.0L 6-cyl engine.

      The 8-speed transmission does a fantastic job working with the new engines, producing more power at slightly lower rpms.
      Well, good, I haven't totally pissed you off over the years. Reminding you again: I'm a mechanical engineer. And again, my cars regularly run at higher RPMs. 4 cylinders of same displacement components equals more work from less displacement and less structure equals working harder. It's math and physics. Not refutable, no matter how good the salesman. And more gears don't matter. They certainly don't produce power, period. They translate power, they may even sap less power than the the 6 speed, but at best, you go from maybe 10% loss to 6%, resulting in effective torque at the wheels going up 4%. But all the engine ratings are at the engine anyhow, so not relevant. If the engine is holding high RPMs, it's still being loaded. A smoother transmission may help, but more gears may just mean more shifts. And if they are bad shifts, more impact to the engine.

      And don't pretend there weren't concerns and issues with the first 2.3L HPT. Reduced power messages on SPA indicate a problem. Sure, it may not be terminal, but I guarantee my driving style would trigger it, and I guarantee it would piss me off after spending that much money, so I'll just go with the hybrid, thank you.
      2009 Hilton Stage 2 (280hp/340ftlbs) C70 M66 Passion Red/Graphite/Aluminum - Quaife LSD installed!
      2011 XC60 3.2L Barents Blue/Anthracite/Aluminum - rings/pistons at 35k, new engine at 50k, seems no oil loss yet at 100k.

    21. #54
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      398
      First of all, the "smaller equals higher stressed" argument is logical, but it hasn't held up all that well empirically - because there are far too many factors involved in predicting reliability. the breakdown rates on the small high reving 4-cyl engines of today are way lower than the failure rates for some of the six -cyl that are still on the road.

      And, as far as transmission speeds, 8 and 9 speed transmissions do tend to keep the engine at lower RPM for longer periods of time. So, if you believe that engine RPM equals durability (and I don't). the number of speeds for the transmission SHOULD matter.

      The hybrid has got a lot going on with it - two forms of forced induction with both gas and electric engines. Probably one of the most complex engines on the market. I would not go near that car as a purchase - only a lease.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 12-27-2019 at 01:27 PM.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

    22. #55
      Global Moderator GrecianVolvo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2001
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      39,131
      Quote Originally Posted by dbphillips View Post
      Well, good, I haven't totally pissed you off over the years. Reminding you again: I'm a mechanical engineer. And again, my cars regularly run at higher RPMs. 4 cylinders of same displacement components equals more work from less displacement and less structure equals working harder. It's math and physics. Not refutable, no matter how good the salesman. And more gears don't matter. They certainly don't produce power, period. They translate power, they may even sap less power than the the 6 speed, but at best, you go from maybe 10% loss to 6%, resulting in effective torque at the wheels going up 4%. But all the engine ratings are at the engine anyhow, so not relevant. If the engine is holding high RPMs, it's still being loaded. A smoother transmission may help, but more gears may just mean more shifts. And if they are bad shifts, more impact to the engine.

      And don't pretend there weren't concerns and issues with the first 2.3L HPT. Reduced power messages on SPA indicate a problem. Sure, it may not be terminal, but I guarantee my driving style would trigger it, and I guarantee it would piss me off after spending that much money, so I'll just go with the hybrid, thank you.
      The extra gears (and better programming) of the current transmission help produce equal or more power with the current 2.0L engines without “overstressing” in the manner you try to make a lot of people believe in. The new T5 engine produces virtually equal Hp as the 5-cyl 2.3L T5 at 500 less RPM than the 5-cyl engine and with less boost needed. The torque curve of the 4 cyl is achieved at lower rpm range (1,500 - 4,800) vs the 5-cylinder’s (2,700 - 5,400).

      I appreciate your education but when it comes to these engines and their WARD’S Top Engine awards, both you and I are simply observers. These engines are super efficient and the 8-speed AisinWarner is a fantastic match to them.

      In the SoCal mountains, my V70 T5 has to be in 4th gear or lower to climb efficiently at 60 mph (steep inclines) and the tach reads 4,500 or slightly more an XC90 T6 or even my last car (an S90 T5) or my current company car tackle the same hills, at these speeds, the tach is under 3,000. I am not sure how much boost the V70 T5 runs up those hills but I am willing to bet any farm I know that it’s higher than the SPA-cars I mentioned above.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

    23. #56
      Junior Member p07r0457's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2019
      Posts
      229
      Quote Originally Posted by stocis View Post
      I'm sorry but he wasn't bullied. He's been talking crap for Volvo and promoting Audi in every single word he posted.
      Most of the members here, have him in their ignore list.
      Out of the hundreds of threads here, he's always been ignorant towards other members that really do love their Volvo, not to mention wordings filled with irony, provocation and some times, hate/racist comments.

      If anything, he's the bully.
      The reason the posts got deleted is because I reported his racist posts monkey/cage.
      Agreed. I took a long break from Swedespeed because of BigBang. He is absolutely a bully and a troll, and I wish the moderators would just ban him, at this point.

      As for OPs question:

      Before I purchased my XC60 I seriously considered the BMW X5, Mercedes GLC, Acura RDX, and Audi Q5. Volvo won, for me, as the best balance of luxury, reliability, safety, comfort, performance, etc.

      Two major knocks against the BMW, for me were:

      1. I couldn't find one that was well-equipped. Every vehicle my dealer had in stock was abysmally basic. Not even leather in most of them. I definitely got the impression that the overwhelming majority of BMW owners are basically posers that just want the BMW "badge".
      2. I spoke with several BMW service advisors and sales people. They all had high praise for BMW driving dynamics and insisted they were the best vehicles to drive. Of course they all leased. I asked if they'd ever BUY a BMW and every single one of them quickly responded "absolutely not". The service people said that BMW is a vehicle you should only ever lease, and you never want to deal with them out-of-warranty.

      There were other things I didn't like about the BMW, but those two were reason enough to eliminate the BMW, for me.

      Go drive the Volvo. I feel in love with mine. Maybe you will, too. If not, go find something that does give you that joy.

    24. #57
      Junior Member batmax's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      39
      Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      Ive done 3700 miles in mine (B4) so far and no issues in the 2.5 months I’ve had it

      where you get that side metal bars(Side Step) ?
      Last edited by batmax; 12-28-2019 at 04:54 AM.
      XC60 Τ8 R DESIGN ICE WHITE

    25. #58
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      206
      Quote Originally Posted by batmax View Post
      where you get that side metal bars(Side Step) ?
      Here but I had to work with them as the fitting kit wasn’t right


      https://direct4x4.co.uk/collections/...17-ex-r-design

    26. #59
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      No. VA
      Posts
      322
      Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      Great Britain
      Interesting number plate. I saw a UK spec XC60 last weekend a my local dealer that is owned by a member of the British armed forces. Very nice gentleman.
      Hers: 2019 S60 T5 R-Design FWD | Pebble Gray / Charcoal, Napa Leather | 18” R-Design Wheels | Heated Seats and Steering Wheel | Rubber Floor Mats

      His: 2018 V90 T5 R-Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R-Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats


      Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

    27. #60
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      604
      Quote Originally Posted by dbphillips View Post
      I find this comment curious. Not a criticism, just my brain goes "whoa, that sounds expensive". The fact that you're happy does say a lot, but what says more to, again, my brain, is, we have nearly 100,000 miles on our P3 XC60 and would do it again, in spite of getting what I feel was a "defective" engine. Volvo did the right thing for us. I would have liked a little more to get out of the car and get a 5 cylinder P3, but the second engine worked out fine, so I'm satisfied.
      Depends how you do it. leasing 3 cars over 9 years can be able to be close to buying one. With 6 years ownership it tends to lean towards leasing. Here is my salesman math... It's not going to get too deep into nitty gritty, just an idea.

      When you buy a car you get a discount. I think most folks here would say 10% is acceptable right? Sometimes it's a little more sometimes less. Lets say the car is $50k... So one a new car you'll pay $45k... a lease you also pay $45k. If it's your first Volvo lease two and three come with owner loyalty.. and if you join VCOA or have A plan via another means then those per transaction savings can grow.

      You buy it for 100k over 9 years... you pay for all maintenance between 40k and 100k... that's gonna be $3k or so. It's unknown, but you may well have repairs in this period as well. To get a a warranty for this amount with $0 deductible would cost around $3500... In addition you'll be out $1200 probably 2 times for new tires... so lets call that a $51900

      On a lease you'll pay only the deprecation... which is usually around 45%... but really you still got that 5% discount... so you're only paying 40% 3 times. $60k.. leasing includes the maintenance fully on a 12k coverage, you get the warranty the full time, and each car comes with new tires that you probably won't need to replace even at lease turn in for 36k.

      That's an $8k difference for the privilege of driving a new car every three years. It's real money of course, but it's not really that big of a hit considering some of the benefits and pleasures of a new car. Sure you won't have a trade in, but what's a 9 year old car with 100k worth? It's not that much. Of course if you skip the warranty and have no issues you can save some more, but if you have issues, as the OP would be concerned about for long term ownership, that can end up eating all the savings. Further if the car is in an accident you're not penalized for deprecation at lease turn in.

      So it's not cut and dry and I left out some variables that would help purchases and leases, but it's really not as big of a cost as many folks instinctively think.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

    28. #61
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      206
      Quote Originally Posted by rdr854 View Post
      Interesting number plate. I saw a UK spec XC60 last weekend a my local dealer that is owned by a member of the British armed forces. Very nice gentleman.
      It’s a personalised plate. My last name is Degg and I’ve always been called Deggy

    29. #62
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      894
      Quote Originally Posted by D3ggy View Post
      It’s a personalised plate. My last name is Degg and I’ve always been called Deggy
      Oh good. I’ve been reading your screen name as “diggy” in my head
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    30. #63
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Location
      Western NY
      Posts
      66
      Nice summary DFrantz. The only think I'd tweak is what I've left quoted below. Given the amount of tread required to be left on the tires when turning in a lease, I'd be surprised if this was often true. I'm sure we'll get some folks posting that they turned in cars with this mileage and the original rubber, but I think 36k would not be the majority.

      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      and each car comes with new tires that you probably won't need to replace even at lease turn in for 36k.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

    31. #64
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      604
      Quote Originally Posted by .LMS. View Post
      Nice summary DFrantz. The only think I'd tweak is what I've left quoted below. Given the amount of tread required to be left on the tires when turning in a lease, I'd be surprised if this was often true. I'm sure we'll get some folks posting that they turned in cars with this mileage and the original rubber, but I think 36k would not be the majority.
      That's a fair observation. I see more than I'd expect pass, though perhaps on the SUVs there is a bit more wear expected. I think while Volvo is often picky on wear and use, tires seem to be a little more lenient than I would expect with some tires I see. Frankly most leases I sell I have them get the Excess Wear and Use protection that covers up to $5k of damages, $1k per instance, and includes tires... this costs less than a set of tires by itself. If you know you tend to drive hard than it's a pay for it self protection.

      You could also say I didn't point out brakes on a purchase and have a wash. It's an imperfect comparison, but I think it shows it's closer than many folks would assume. If you know you're buying a car for 10 years, I always suggest a loaner car with CPO extension as the best buy. What i know for sure is many people buy when leasing hands down would save them money without them changing their habits at all, or help them live with the habits they want (aka shorter ownership cycle)
      Volvo Sales Guy
      Overseas Delivery Specialist
      VCOA Member
      iRoll YouTube (looking for more helpful video ideas to kick start this channel)

    32. #65
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2019
      Posts
      34
      I hope they aren't discouraged to test drive a volvo after reading all this

    33. #66
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      99
      Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      That's a fair observation. I see more than I'd expect pass, though perhaps on the SUVs there is a bit more wear expected. I think while Volvo is often picky on wear and use, tires seem to be a little more lenient than I would expect with some tires I see. Frankly most leases I sell I have them get the Excess Wear and Use protection that covers up to $5k of damages, $1k per instance, and includes tires... this costs less than a set of tires by itself. If you know you tend to drive hard than it's a pay for it self protection.

      You could also say I didn't point out brakes on a purchase and have a wash. It's an imperfect comparison, but I think it shows it's closer than many folks would assume. If you know you're buying a car for 10 years, I always suggest a loaner car with CPO extension as the best buy. What i know for sure is many people buy when leasing hands down would save them money without them changing their habits at all, or help them live with the habits they want (aka shorter ownership cycle)
      All my previous leases ( 2 Honda SUVs and 1 BMW) , All my tires were within spec , never had to change the tires before turning in after lease of 36K miles.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

    34. #67
      Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      All my previous leases ( 2 Honda SUVs and 1 BMW) , All my tires were within spec , never had to change the tires before turning in after lease of 36K miles.
      You were not driving them hard enough.....

      D&R.

      /kleks

    35. #68
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      99
      Quote Originally Posted by Kleks View Post
      You were not driving them hard enough.....

      D&R.

      /kleks
      , true, mostly driven by my wife, however, we love the polestar in R-Design and we (both) are really driving hard now and its fun!!
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

    36. #69
      Junior Member PSamy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Location
      Southern CT
      Posts
      99
      Quote Originally Posted by bmcginn53 View Post
      My wife and I are currently looking at a new SUV. We’ve narrowed our choices to the XC60 and BMW X3. We’ve owned tons of BMW’s but have never owned a Volvo. We’ve driven the X3 and it’s fine, but we really like the look of the Volvo and were going to schedule a test drive in the next week, but I’ve been reading some of the horror stories of quality control and vibration issues. Would love to get more color on how reliable this vehicle is. Thank you.
      Back to OP's question - I am owning the car for the past 3 months and love it. As far as the reliability goes, Its too early for me to share my experience. However, if you get the extended warranty with zero deductible , you should be good.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

    37. #70
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2019
      Posts
      206
      So 5200 miles on the clock and the engine management light has come on.

      Nothing shows with a standard OBD reader. Called Volvo On Call but as its the amber light they wont come out as its safe to drive to the dealer.

      Guess where I will be at 8am tomorrow.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. 2020 xc60
      By JarekMW in forum XC60 (SPA: 2018- )
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 11-09-2019, 10:11 PM
    2. 2020 XC60 ordering and production dates
      By mrhobie in forum XC60 (SPA: 2018- )
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 04-28-2019, 02:23 PM
    3. 2020 XC60 Colors
      By sgturner in forum XC60 (SPA: 2018- )
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 04-12-2019, 05:21 PM
    4. 2020 updates to XC60 T8 to be similar to XC90?
      By sgturner in forum XC60 (SPA: 2018- )
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 03-02-2019, 11:06 AM
    5. 2020 XC60 T8 Electric Range Increase
      By Jazx83 in forum XC60 (SPA: 2018- )
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 01-28-2019, 12:31 AM