SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Door Latch Recall - Is this what has to be done to each door to replace part?

11K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  T6dude 
#1 ·
Curious for any of our Volvo Techs to chime in. When the door latches come into stock, is this what's done to each door to replace the part?

#3 ·
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Please watch 8:05-8:15. Is that what needs done? Pane removed and then insert that contains speakers, latch, etc?

#7 ·
Thanks.

#8 ·
Watched the video, looks like a time consuming task that involves the operation of many unrelated door attached systems that need to be assembled with care to preserve the operation and alignments necessary to preserve important functions such as keeping glass associated wind noise out, glass alignment and fit, door to body edge-gap, door weatherstrip seal/water tightness/wind noise, and door handle alignment.

This recall, being performed on four doors has potential impacts far more than just the door latch operation.

Is this a repair that is to be trusted to a mechanic or a body shop?

Not optimistic that after every single bolt being removed on all four doors will result in a happy ending for our beloved S60.

Any reassurances from Tech or guidance on what we should look for after our car has this “door latch recall” done?

How do I as an owner know that the doors are still airtight/water-tight to the body, that the windows are still airtight/watertight, that the door handle is in alignment, that the door to body edge gaps haven’t been altered?

#9 ·
How do I as an owner know that the doors are still airtight/water-tight to the body, that the windows are still airtight/watertight, that the door handle is in alignment, that the door to body edge gaps haven't been altered?
The doors are not removed, so the door weatherstripping and air/watertightness will not be affected and neither will door edge gaps. Similarly, the window glass is not removed from its channel and will not be affected either.

As for door handle alignment, I've had the handles off my doors a few times now trying unsuccessfully to correct my keyless entry antenna problem and the handles always pop right back into place with no alignment issues.

As an owner, I have zero concerns about the issues you mentioned.

#11 ·
My concerns are after watching the video, all of the potential issues that may be of concern.

The video clearly show the window glass being completely removed from the door frame. Lots of possible misalignment possibilities with window seals causing air leaks or worse water leaks.

Changing the latch also has to be corrected to allow for the weatherstripping to be fully sealed around the entire door. If not tight enough air and water intrusion issues, same with being too tight causing deformation of already “formed” rubber seals to be compromised.

Should the latch not be set to the correct depth the door gaps could also be changed, and the door to door edge height could not be flush.

I may be assuming that video is accurate, and am crying chicken little.

If the procedure shown is correct, there is a lot of possible chances for issues that may create a poor quality of air/water tightness and body gap alignment.

#13 ·
The recall states the s60 driven in high heat environments are more likely to realize door latch failure resulting in door opening voluntarily while vehicle is in motion.

Bad news for our s60, it lives in Bakersfield California - god forsaken little pocket of hell thats claim to fame is often measured by how many consecutive days above 100• occur each year, or having nighttime temperatures that often do not drop below 90•.

One of the comments I hear from owners of P2 cars that trade up to P3 models is the vast improvement in the door closing qualities between these two model changes.

It’s not surprising that one of our purchasing decision criteria in favor of our 2016 s60 rd platinum t6 AWD was the solid feeling door closing sound.

Do the same on a Toyota Camry and let me report the incredible lightness of the doors and the tinny beer can sound it’s makes when latching. Not confidence inspiring.

So forgive my reluctance to have this done and losing what has always been a tightly fitting bank vault door sound to a door that rattles when closed and leaks air and water through the window seal or door seal.

Not saying it can’t be done correctly, and my experience with dealer service has been mostly positive.

But taking apart so much of the car only invites mayhem into the cabin.

#14 ·
The recall states the s60 driven in high heat environments are more likely to realize door latch failure resulting in door opening voluntarily while vehicle is in motion.

Bad news for our s60, it lives in Bakersfield California - god forsaken little pocket of hell thats claim to fame is often measured by how many consecutive days above 100• occur each year, or having nighttime temperatures that often do not drop below 90•.

One of the comments I hear from owners of P2 cars that trade up to P3 models is the vast improvement in the door closing qualities between these two model changes.

It's not surprising that one of our purchasing decision criteria in favor of our 2016 s60 rd platinum t6 AWD was the solid feeling door closing sound.

Do the same on a Toyota Camry and let me report the incredible lightness of the doors and the tinny beer can sound it's makes when latching. Not confidence inspiring.

So forgive my reluctance to have this done and losing what has always been a tightly fitting bank vault door sound to a door that rattles when closed and leaks air and water through the window seal or door seal.

Not saying it can't be done correctly, and my experience with dealer service has been mostly positive.

But taking apart so much of the car only invites mayhem into the cabin.
The process is pretty straight forward. This guy did each door in 10 minutes. Only the Door Panel and Cassette are removed. Cassette is a single unit. Tech said glass can stay. So there's little reason for concern. Worst that'd happen is the Tech overlooks a screw. Doubt any rattles, weather stripping issues, etc would arise out of this recall.

#15 ·
@Repsolgamma:. You're way overthinking and complicating this.
There really is no reason to worry. I've done this for the rear doors and can say, from experience, there is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
Yeah you're really worrying about something with no basis for your concern.

Sometimes recalls are new to us, replacing something we haven't done yet (or done very few of). This is not a new job. Most dealer techs should have experience taking out the cassette and replacing latches.

I personally can't wait for this to start. Unless they drastically cut the labor times for us.

#17 ·
Yeah you're really worrying about something with no basis for your concern.

Sometimes recalls are new to us, replacing something we haven't done yet (or done very few of). This is not a new job. Most dealer techs should have experience taking out the cassette and replacing latches.

I personally can't wait for this to start. Unless they drastically cut the labor times for us.
I imagine under a recall, Volvo Corporate pays the dealer X amount per job, meaning that you'll have a steady workflow once parts arrived? Have there been any updates on when parts will begin to arrive?

#18 · (Edited)
Yes, recalls pay a set labor time (based on the job). All warranty jobs pay a set labor time. They have not released the labor time yet for the recall but I know what the latches pay under warranty and they should pay the same (the job isn't any different and there isn't labor overlap for doing all of them on one car). There have been no updates to the bulletin as of today.

#21 ·
Not that you're bummed out on the no labor overlap ;). Steady work for you and fellow coworkers here soon. And yep, no way to replace one door handle and get to others, so this is a 4 door job. Hate to see how much this recall will cost Volvo. I'm guessing at least $150-200 / per car? I.E. 1.5 hr job?

#22 ·
Honey, I think we lost a kid back at mile marker X... suicide doors swung open again. Should we turn back? The car ride has been so much more peaceful without "are we there yet".

#23 ·
Rolls Royce continues to use suicide doors as they are easier for chauffeurs to get to the rear door handle, but are dangerous for passengers when exiting.

On the door latch recall there was a swedespeed thread on the C70 forum where members tried fixing the latch issues using white lithium grease or silicone sprays, not recommending it but just posting in case the problems are related :

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?223937-Door-unlatches-while-driving

#24 ·
On the door latch recall there was a swedespeed thread on the C70 forum where members tried fixing the latch issues using white lithium grease or silicone sprays, not recommending it but just posting in case the problems are related :

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?223937-Door-unlatches-while-driving
I thought the recall was for door latches that won't stay closed, in other words, broken latches. This just sounds like a lubrication problem and something that I've experienced with my car.

#27 ·
An hour per door may be a bit generous for an experienced mechanic but this is definitely not a 10 minute job. The video is edited to be concise. Nothing like that can be done in 10 minutes.
So yeah, 4.5 hours per car is not too far off. You do, after all, want them to be careful when they do it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Guy had a single door off in less than 10 minutes. No cut away or editing, as you see the whole process of the panel and cassette removal. Of course, he didn't reassemble the door in the video, but I imagine it's about the same each way.

Not knocking efficiency, just thought book hours calling this an hour per door seemed super generous in nature.

#28 ·
Being efficient is how we make money (the honest ones, anyway).

I didn't watch the video, but just because it's 10 minutes long doesn't mean it is uncut. But for someone who has done this job multiple times, it can easily be done in under an hour per door.

I'll double check the labor times but I seem to remember the front paying 1.3 and the rear paying 1.0.

#30 ·
No edits. Door Panel + Cassette taken off in 10 minutes on a single door. Course, the guy didn't reassemble the door in the video. I'd guess 30 minutes / door tops. But efficiency isn't a crime. Just thought 1 - 1.3 hrs a door seemed bit generous on book hours. Not that anyone of us will be footing the bill! :rave: This one's all Volvos!

#35 ·
I'm in Texas. We have I'm sure what is referred to as "high heat"!

Our (first) letter arrived today, 1/28/2020.

Guess it's time to wait for the second letter, letting us know parts are available.

Eric

#39 ·
Yes, those 2012 and 2013 Volvo S60 owners with cars like mine over 100K are going to have Target red and white bullseyes on our foreheads. I'm already for those salesmen, I have a Camry sized wallet with an S60 appetite. Story of my life.

Good point on the heat and Swedes..I guess that was one area their engineers overlooked. Figures our cars like the cold better. Texas, Arizona, Florida I'm sure have less Volvos than Maine, Colorado or Oregon.

#40 ·
Yes, those 2012 and 2013 Volvo S60 owners with cars like mine over 100K are going to have Target red and white bullseyes on our foreheads. I'm already for those salesmen, I have a Camry sized wallet with an S60 appetite. Story of my life.

Good point on the heat and Swedes..I guess that was one area their engineers overlooked. Figures our cars like the cold better. Texas, Arizona, Florida I'm sure have less Volvos than Maine, Colorado or Oregon.
Volvo forgot that Sweden isn't the only climate in the world. Now that Geely owns Volvo, Volvo might benefit from tests in China where there are actually weather extremes. The one time I visited Sweden, I found it funny how Nordic people think 70 Degrees is a hot day!

FYI: Caviar taste on a beer budget.. Story of our lives. I'm dreading when my Prepaid Maintenance Plan is up at 100K + Warranty. May the financial gods have mercy on my soul. Hoping other than the most expensive routine maintenance (Timing Belt is like $1200), everything else continues to work for a very long time.

#43 ·
im not fully buying into the temperature part of it. they said old v70 fuel pump recall issue was in warm climates too, ive probably replaced 5 in the last 2 years and im in NH which is far from the warmest climate and the recall has been over for many years. also the xc60 liftgate arms were supposedly coming apart in cold climates. never once saw one that had come apart and it gets cold here... hmmm
not complaining though as the recall will be good money when parts arrive. also can help a lot of customers with door handle sensor harness issues and take care of that while we are in there on volvo's dime(parts are inexpensive, and labor is nearly nothing when we are replacing latch units anyways)

#45 ·

I just recently took my 2012 volvo s60 t6 polestar to Volvo to have them fix the 2 recalls i had on my car. The first was the door latch and second was something to do with seatbelts. But anyway my car is in excellent condition, runs smoothly, no issues... But as i received my car back from volvo, none of my 4 windows work, they wont roll up or down, the window lock button doesn't work and my side view mirrors no longer work as well. I believe Volvo ended up stripping a wire in my car while they were putting in the new door latches, fml. They are trying to deny any wrong doing, but my car was in mint condition before i dropped it off and now it has a bunch of issues.. Has anything like this ever happened to ant of you? I need some advice on what to do.

#48 ·
So... you had it diagnosed and the dealer said it was a "shaved wire". And the same manager wants you to "take it back to Volvo to identify and repair the issue"?

I thought it was identified?

We don't do this sort of thing all the time. What wire? Where is the fault located?

#49 ·
Yeah the manager identified the issue, which was most definitely caused by them, and still told me they would need to identify and repair, im guessing that's so they can collect more money for labor costs. And to be honest the manager was very vague when it came to exactly where the issue was located. He just said that a shaved wire in the door panel is to blame for my windows no longer working. Hoe much would that repair cost me?
On a separate note, i bought a new key fob and had it programmed, that cost me $900.00 does that sound right to you? A new key fob + installation costs $900.00?

#53 ·
I had this completed recently and I am upset with myself for doing so.

1.) My inner door parts/rattle.
2.) Lost Right Side Door Handle Touch Functions - Yes, the lock/unlock sense is gone.

Service writer says that the Tech checked the Drivers side on the vehicle incoming, but not passenger. Tried to make it sound like it was not working when they took the car. It took two days btw. :(

They want me to return, but I am not going. I will fix it myself and they can Fvck off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.