Door Latch Recall - Is this what has to be done to each door to replace part?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 44
    1. #1

      Door Latch Recall - Is this what has to be done to each door to replace part?

      Curious for any of our Volvo Techs to chime in. When the door latches come into stock, is this what's done to each door to replace the part?


    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      I didn't watch the video, since I know how to do it already. But yes, the door latches are going to be replaced and that appears to be a video showing how to do it.

    4. #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I didn't watch the video, since I know how to do it already. But yes, the door latches are going to be replaced and that appears to be a video showing how to do it.
      Sorry, I should have been more specific. Please watch 8:05-8:15. Is that what needs done? Pane removed and then insert that contains speakers, latch, etc?

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,650
      That's the only way to get that latch out and replace it.
      It is attached to that inner panel that contains the speaker.

      Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

    7. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      I didn't watch the video, since I know how to do it already. But yes, the door latches are going to be replaced and that appears to be a video showing how to do it.
      Sorry, I should have been more specific. Please watch 8:05-8:15. Is that what needs done? Pane removed and then insert that contains speakers, latch, etc?
      Yes, the door cassette comes out.

    8. #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yes, the door cassette comes out.
      Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

    9. #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      That's the only way to get that latch out and replace it.
      It is attached to that inner panel that contains the speaker.

      Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      Thanks.

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      51
      Watched the video, looks like a time consuming task that involves the operation of many unrelated door attached systems that need to be assembled with care to preserve the operation and alignments necessary to preserve important functions such as keeping glass associated wind noise out, glass alignment and fit, door to body edge-gap, door weatherstrip seal/water tightness/wind noise, and door handle alignment.

      This recall, being performed on four doors has potential impacts far more than just the door latch operation.

      Is this a repair that is to be trusted to a mechanic or a body shop?

      Not optimistic that after every single bolt being removed on all four doors will result in a happy ending for our beloved S60.

      Any reassurances from Tech or guidance on what we should look for after our car has this “door latch recall” done?

      How do I as an owner know that the doors are still airtight/water-tight to the body, that the windows are still airtight/watertight, that the door handle is in alignment, that the door to body edge gaps haven’t been altered?

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      It's raining - must be near Seattle
      Posts
      606
      Quote Originally Posted by Repsolgamma View Post
      How do I as an owner know that the doors are still airtight/water-tight to the body, that the windows are still airtight/watertight, that the door handle is in alignment, that the door to body edge gaps haven’t been altered?
      The doors are not removed, so the door weatherstripping and air/watertightness will not be affected and neither will door edge gaps. Similarly, the window glass is not removed from its channel and will not be affected either.

      As for door handle alignment, I've had the handles off my doors a few times now trying unsuccessfully to correct my keyless entry antenna problem and the handles always pop right back into place with no alignment issues.

      As an owner, I have zero concerns about the issues you mentioned.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

    12. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      I agree. You are worried about a bunch of stuff that is not a problem. The job looks like a lot to a DIYer. But I can do those locks in about 20 minutes. Maybe less.

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      51
      My concerns are after watching the video, all of the potential issues that may be of concern.

      The video clearly show the window glass being completely removed from the door frame. Lots of possible misalignment possibilities with window seals causing air leaks or worse water leaks.

      Changing the latch also has to be corrected to allow for the weatherstripping to be fully sealed around the entire door. If not tight enough air and water intrusion issues, same with being too tight causing deformation of already “formed” rubber seals to be compromised.

      Should the latch not be set to the correct depth the door gaps could also be changed, and the door to door edge height could not be flush.

      I may be assuming that video is accurate, and am crying chicken little.

      If the procedure shown is correct, there is a lot of possible chances for issues that may create a poor quality of air/water tightness and body gap alignment.

    14. #12
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      The glass can stay in. Removing it doesn't complicate anything. And you can't install the latch at different depths.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      51
      The recall states the s60 driven in high heat environments are more likely to realize door latch failure resulting in door opening voluntarily while vehicle is in motion.

      Bad news for our s60, it lives in Bakersfield California - god forsaken little pocket of hell thats claim to fame is often measured by how many consecutive days above 100• occur each year, or having nighttime temperatures that often do not drop below 90•.

      One of the comments I hear from owners of P2 cars that trade up to P3 models is the vast improvement in the door closing qualities between these two model changes.

      It’s not surprising that one of our purchasing decision criteria in favor of our 2016 s60 rd platinum t6 AWD was the solid feeling door closing sound.

      Do the same on a Toyota Camry and let me report the incredible lightness of the doors and the tinny beer can sound it’s makes when latching. Not confidence inspiring.

      So forgive my reluctance to have this done and losing what has always been a tightly fitting bank vault door sound to a door that rattles when closed and leaks air and water through the window seal or door seal.

      Not saying it can’t be done correctly, and my experience with dealer service has been mostly positive.

      But taking apart so much of the car only invites mayhem into the cabin.

    16. #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Repsolgamma View Post
      The recall states the s60 driven in high heat environments are more likely to realize door latch failure resulting in door opening voluntarily while vehicle is in motion.

      Bad news for our s60, it lives in Bakersfield California - god forsaken little pocket of hell thats claim to fame is often measured by how many consecutive days above 100• occur each year, or having nighttime temperatures that often do not drop below 90•.

      One of the comments I hear from owners of P2 cars that trade up to P3 models is the vast improvement in the door closing qualities between these two model changes.

      It’s not surprising that one of our purchasing decision criteria in favor of our 2016 s60 rd platinum t6 AWD was the solid feeling door closing sound.

      Do the same on a Toyota Camry and let me report the incredible lightness of the doors and the tinny beer can sound it’s makes when latching. Not confidence inspiring.

      So forgive my reluctance to have this done and losing what has always been a tightly fitting bank vault door sound to a door that rattles when closed and leaks air and water through the window seal or door seal.

      Not saying it can’t be done correctly, and my experience with dealer service has been mostly positive.

      But taking apart so much of the car only invites mayhem into the cabin.
      The process is pretty straight forward. This guy did each door in 10 minutes. Only the Door Panel and Cassette are removed. Cassette is a single unit. Tech said glass can stay. So there's little reason for concern. Worst that'd happen is the Tech overlooks a screw. Doubt any rattles, weather stripping issues, etc would arise out of this recall.

    17. #15
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,650
      @Repsolgamma:. You're way overthinking and complicating this.
      There really is no reason to worry. I've done this for the rear doors and can say, from experience, there is nothing to worry about.

      Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

    18. #16
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      Yeah you're really worrying about something with no basis for your concern.

      Sometimes recalls are new to us, replacing something we haven't done yet (or done very few of). This is not a new job. Most dealer techs should have experience taking out the cassette and replacing latches.

      I personally can't wait for this to start. Unless they drastically cut the labor times for us.
      Last edited by Tech; 12-30-2019 at 09:38 AM.

    19. #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yeah you're really worrying about something with no basis for your concern.

      Sometimes recalls are new to us, replacing something we haven't done yet (or done very few of). This is not a new job. Most dealer techs should have experience taking out the cassette and replacing latches.

      I personally can't wait for this to start. Unless they drastically cut the labor times for us.
      I imagine under a recall, Volvo Corporate pays the dealer X amount per job, meaning that you'll have a steady workflow once parts arrived? Have there been any updates on when parts will begin to arrive?

    20. #18
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      Yes, recalls pay a set labor time (based on the job). All warranty jobs pay a set labor time. They have not released the labor time yet for the recall but I know what the latches pay under warranty and they should pay the same (the job isn't any different and there isn't labor overlap for doing all of them on one car). There have been no updates to the bulletin as of today.
      Last edited by Tech; 12-30-2019 at 11:45 AM.

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Location
      Richmond VA
      Posts
      89
      Pfft... just be glad the car doesn't have suicide doors!

    22. #20
      Junior Member RootDKJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      North Jersey
      Posts
      720
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yeah you're really worrying about something with no basis for your concern.

      Sometimes recalls are new to us, replacing something we haven't done yet (or done very few of). This is not a new job. Most dealer techs should have experience taking out the cassette and replacing latches.

      I personally can't wait for this to start. Unless they drastically cut the labor times for us.
      Haha, good for you. Happy new year Tech.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

    23. #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yes, recalls pay a set labor time (based on the job). All warranty jobs pay a set labor time. They have not released the labor time yet for the recall but I know what the latches pay under warranty and they should pay the same (the job isn't any different and there isn't labor overlap for doing all of them on one car). There have been no updates to the bulletin as of today.
      Not that you're bummed out on the no labor overlap . Steady work for you and fellow coworkers here soon. And yep, no way to replace one door handle and get to others, so this is a 4 door job. Hate to see how much this recall will cost Volvo. I'm guessing at least $150-200 / per car? I.E. 1.5 hr job?

    24. #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
      Pfft... just be glad the car doesn't have suicide doors!
      Honey, I think we lost a kid back at mile marker X... suicide doors swung open again. Should we turn back? The car ride has been so much more peaceful without "are we there yet".

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      658
      Rolls Royce continues to use suicide doors as they are easier for chauffeurs to get to the rear door handle, but are dangerous for passengers when exiting.

      On the door latch recall there was a swedespeed thread on the C70 forum where members tried fixing the latch issues using white lithium grease or silicone sprays, not recommending it but just posting in case the problems are related :

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-while-driving
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

    26. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Arlington, VA
      Posts
      2,203
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      On the door latch recall there was a swedespeed thread on the C70 forum where members tried fixing the latch issues using white lithium grease or silicone sprays, not recommending it but just posting in case the problems are related :

      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-while-driving
      I thought the recall was for door latches that won't stay closed, in other words, broken latches. This just sounds like a lubrication problem and something that I've experienced with my car.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

    27. #25
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Yes, recalls pay a set labor time (based on the job). All warranty jobs pay a set labor time. They have not released the labor time yet for the recall but I know what the latches pay under warranty and they should pay the same (the job isn't any different and there isn't labor overlap for doing all of them on one car). There have been no updates to the bulletin as of today.
      Not that you're bummed out on the no labor overlap . Steady work for you and fellow coworkers here soon. And yep, no way to replace one door handle and get to others, so this is a 4 door job. Hate to see how much this recall will cost Volvo. I'm guessing at least $150-200 / per car? I.E. 1.5 hr job?
      If I remember correctly, warranty times for all four total around 4.5 hours per car. I'd have to look it up though.

    28. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      If I remember correctly, warranty times for all four total around 4.5 hours per car. I'd have to look it up though.
      Yikes! That guide call for 4.5 hrs? This guy had it off in about 10 mins each door so figured 20 to 30 mins / door. Book hour is very generous on this one! Volvo is going to have one heck of a recall bill.

    29. #27
      Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2012
      Location
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Posts
      1,650
      An hour per door may be a bit generous for an experienced mechanic but this is definitely not a 10 minute job. The video is edited to be concise. Nothing like that can be done in 10 minutes.
      So yeah, 4.5 hours per car is not too far off. You do, after all, want them to be careful when they do it.

      Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      2012 S60 T5 Savile Gray/Beachwood

    30. #28
      Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2017
      Posts
      3,178
      Being efficient is how we make money (the honest ones, anyway).

      I didn't watch the video, but just because it's 10 minutes long doesn't mean it is uncut. But for someone who has done this job multiple times, it can easily be done in under an hour per door.

      I'll double check the labor times but I seem to remember the front paying 1.3 and the rear paying 1.0.

    31. #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Almaz View Post
      An hour per door may be a bit generous for an experienced mechanic but this is definitely not a 10 minute job. The video is edited to be concise. Nothing like that can be done in 10 minutes.
      So yeah, 4.5 hours per car is not too far off. You do, after all, want them to be careful when they do it.

      Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk
      Guy had a single door off in less than 10 minutes. No cut away or editing, as you see the whole process of the panel and cassette removal. Of course, he didn't reassemble the door in the video, but I imagine it's about the same each way.

      Not knocking efficiency, just thought book hours calling this an hour per door seemed super generous in nature.

    32. #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      Being efficient is how we make money (the honest ones, anyway).

      I didn't watch the video, but just because it's 10 minutes long doesn't mean it is uncut. But for someone who has done this job multiple times, it can easily be done in under an hour per door.

      I'll double check the labor times but I seem to remember the front paying 1.3 and the rear paying 1.0.
      No edits. Door Panel + Cassette taken off in 10 minutes on a single door. Course, the guy didn't reassemble the door in the video. I'd guess 30 minutes / door tops. But efficiency isn't a crime. Just thought 1 - 1.3 hrs a door seemed bit generous on book hours. Not that anyone of us will be footing the bill! This one's all Volvos!

    33. #31
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      658
      Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      I thought the recall was for door latches that won't stay closed, in other words, broken latches. This just sounds like a lubrication problem and something that I've experienced with my car.
      I'm sure some of us are changing good latches that we have lubed and oiled like clockwork every year.

      Of the 145,000 effected cars let's say for argument sake maybe 500 are prone to get broken due to manufacturer defect/craftsmanship issues with the latch itself. That's enough to warrant a recall even if 144,500 cars have good latches.

      They can't take chances with lives at stake, so recall here we come. I'm actually looking forward to going back to the dealer, good coffee, nice looking people working there and rubbing elbows with people in a lounge where people from all walks of life will congregate.

      My $5000 high mileage 2012 oil burning T5 gets the same attention to detail as the 2017 $50,000 fully loaded V60CC.

      Great to hear on the 4 hours billing for each car. Techs work hard and deserve it. Unsung heroes who will be laughing all the way to the bank with this one.
      Last edited by Highwayman; 01-01-2020 at 02:15 PM.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

    34. #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      I'm sure some of us are changing good latches that we have lubed and oiled like clockwork every year.

      Of the 145,000 effected cars let's say for argument sake maybe 500 are prone to get broken due to manufacturer defect/craftsmanship issues with the latch itself. That's enough to warrant a recall even if 144,500 cars have good latches.

      They can't take chances with lives at stake, so recall here we come. I'm actually looking forward to going back to the dealer, good coffee, nice looking people working there and rubbing elbows with people in a lounge where people from all walks of life will congregate.

      My $5000 high mileage 2012 oil burning T5 gets the same attention to detail as the 2017 $50,000 fully loaded V60CC.

      Great to hear on the 4 hours billing for each car. Techs work hard and deserve it. Unsung heroes who will be laughing all the way to the bank with this one.
      Recalls are a numbers game. Lets say there are 144,500 cars. 500 are affected. Cost of Labor + Part = $250 / car. That's $36,125,000 to repair all cars. If even 10 out of those 500 vehicles flip open and someone is hurt or killed, a lawsuit will cost 10s of millions both in payouts and lawyer fees.

      Number Crunchers see $36.125 million as Cheaper than 10 Lawsuits adding up to 10s of millions in settlements for injury / loss of life. Thus a recall is issued.

      I love the free cookies and snacks in the lounge. I'm a sweets person. Shhh don't tell the Dentist. He probably already knows!

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2017
      Location
      NJ
      Posts
      658
      Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Recalls are a numbers game. Lets say there are 144,500 cars. 500 are affected. Cost of Labor + Part = $250 / car. That's $36,125,000 to repair all cars. If even 10 out of those 500 vehicles flip open and someone is hurt or killed, a lawsuit will cost 10s of millions both in payouts and lawyer fees.

      Number Crunchers see $36.125 million as Cheaper than 10 Lawsuits adding up to 10s of millions in settlements for injury / loss of life. Thus a recall is issued.

      I love the free cookies and snacks in the lounge. I'm a sweets person. Shhh don't tell the Dentist. He probably already knows!
      145,000 cars multiplied by 4 latches per car is 580,000 latches. Of course not all Volvo owners will participate in the recall as there are many who will curse and swear before they step foot into the dealer.

      Both my Volvos have been indy serviced. My last visit about 2 years ago to document my S60s oil consumption led to a $2000 goodwill offer to do my rings which I declined as I had to pay the other $2000 of the $4K job with no guarantee it would resolve my issue.

      Keep me away from the bagels and cookies, I just gained weight from the holidays. The Keurig coffee machine and nice chairs with the TV and magazines is now a standard, even at my indy. Wonder what they will think of next.

      Looking forward to this recall and to see the language of their letter and news media reports that will follow.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

    36. #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      145,000 cars multiplied by 4 latches per car is 580,000 latches. Of course not all Volvo owners will participate in the recall as there are many who will curse and swear before they step foot into the dealer.

      Both my Volvos have been indy serviced. My last visit about 2 years ago to document my S60s oil consumption led to a $2000 goodwill offer to do my rings which I declined as I had to pay the other $2000 of the $4K job with no guarantee it would resolve my issue.

      Keep me away from the bagels and cookies, I just gained weight from the holidays. The Keurig coffee machine and nice chairs with the TV and magazines is now a standard, even at my indy. Wonder what they will think of next.

      Looking forward to this recall and to see the language of their letter and news media reports that will follow.
      Volvo probably makes the parts for a few dollars a piece. So imagine the real expense comes from book rate. It's to be seen if they'll pay the 4 hours or set a lower figure knowing techs can do the job much faster. I picked an arbitrary number of $250 figuring ~2 hrs of labor $ 120/hr and then maybe $10 in parts at "cost" for Volvo. I've got to imagine that since Volvo is going to have 500,000 units produced, bulk rates will get parts pretty cheap.

      I imagine since the recall means a free trip to dealer, a large majority will act on the recall. It's a good opportunity for people to see their local Volvo Dealership without expecting to pay "Dealer Prices". And a good opportunity for dealers to notify customers of any lights on, service recommendations, etc. Plus, bored customers may browse the lot or showroom. I'm sure out of the 144,500 affected vehicles (or whatever number), a few car sales will originate from customers affected by the recall.

      The cookies, snacks, waters are all part of the "dealership experience". Even indies realize that simple gestures go a long way. Makes the customer more relaxed. Count me in for a few! I gained a couple pounds from good eating but I'll live!

    37. #35
      Junior Member EricJRW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      111
      I'm in Texas. We have I'm sure what is referred to as "high heat"!

      Our (first) letter arrived today, 1/28/2020.

      Guess it's time to wait for the second letter, letting us know parts are available.

      Eric
      2015.5 S60 T5, color: Seashell. Our first Volvo. So far a good experience. 0% financing is what got us in the door. Features sealed the deal.

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Door Latch Recall
      By meade18 in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 81
      Last Post: 01-28-2020, 02:03 PM
    2. Inside door latch has failed!
      By regtor in forum C70 (2006-2013)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 07-26-2018, 12:21 PM
    3. Hood latch recall at port
      By rolex80 in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 12-07-2015, 04:59 PM
    4. How do I replace the front door latch on a '05 S60?
      By nask0 in forum S60 (2001-2010)
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
    5. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 10-09-2004, 08:28 AM