2012 XC60 T6--Early Alternator Failure
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 XC60 T6--Early Alternator Failure

Thought I'd share and also see what other's experience has been.

I have a 2012 XC60 T6 AWD R-Design with 88K miles. I started getting the "Charging Failure Service Urgent" message + battery light turning on in the dash. It happened once, then as time went on, started happening much more frequently. I took it into an independent Volvo shop, and they said the fault code pointed to an internal failure. So ended up putting in a re-manufactured Bosch unit (from FCP Euro (half the price of a brand new one)).

My mechanic said he's been seeing some issues with these alternators. Also, saw a Ford Motor Company stamp on the original alternator. And we all know Ford didn't help Volvo's quality. I do know one of the previous TSBs was around a bolt coming loose. But this wasn't that.
      Anyways, has anyone else had this happen so early, what have you all heard/know, thoughts?
      Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have you confirmed if your alternator is actually charging? Put a voltmeter on the positive while the car is running and ground it, should be 13-14 volts If the car hasn't actually died on you yet I'd be skeptical.

The battery monitoring sensors on the P3 cars fail all the time, I've replaced countless, this will absolutely cause these symptoms.

Radiator anti tamper sensor can also cause this IIRC
      Last edited by LukeFlynn; 12-22-2019 at 02:07 PM.
      '09 S40 2.4i
      '04 XC70 2.5T
      '04 S60R M66

Hmm. Good point. Well I know what you're referring to with the battery monitoring sensor, having that issue on our 2012 S60. Getting a low battery message though the battery tests good and is a year old.

This is specifically with the battery light coming on/around the charge system/alternator. I sourced the part through FCP Euro for ~$300. One thing that he said it could have been is the voltage regulator (on the alternator), which costs $75. But if I'm already having to pay for labor to access the alternator, and given how easy it is to replace on these cars, and given it's not that much more for the whole unit rather than just the voltage regulator then I figured might as well replace it. The light/message has not come back on since having it replaced.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFlynn View Post
      Have you confirmed if your alternator is actually charging? Put a voltmeter on the positive while the car is running and ground it, should be 13-14 volts If the car hasn't actually died on you yet I'd be skeptical.

The battery monitoring sensors on the P3 cars fail all the time, I've replaced countless, this will absolutely cause these symptoms.

Radiator anti tamper sensor can also cause this IIRC
      So, the first time I read about the BMS was when I had to replace the battery on our "new" 15.5 XC60. I have VIDA but also found the "hack" reset method online of the counters and did that instead. I also believe I understand the differences of P3's with BMS and those without by seeing the harness strapped between the +/- poles, or not. My '10 S80 does not have such a harness so unless I'm wrong this car does not have BMS? The reason I ask is because I just had to replace my 1-yr old H6 battery in that car and couldn't reset BMS with the hack, although I haven't tried VIDA yet. I opted to install a T7 battery instead this time.
      2015.5 XC60 T6 Flamenco Red/Sand, Platinum, Tech, Blis - wifemobile
      2010 S80 T6 Silver/Anthracite, Dynaudio/Nav, Climate, Blis - my dd
      2005 S40 T5 Passion Red/Quartz, Dynamic Package, E46 bixenon retro - garage queen
      2005 S60 2.5T Black/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Climate - son
      Previous: '05 S60 T5, '04 S80 2.5T, '98 V70 T5, '96 854 Platinum

How can I tell if my car has the BMS/where is it located? (On my S60, we started getting the low battery message though the battery is only 2 years old).

Either way, replacing the alternator has resolved the issue/error message I was getting. So I'm assuming that the alternator was in fact the culprit.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements