Accident
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Accident

Accident

Hey ya'll. So Monday morning on my way home from work I got tboned in my car. I've had it 7 weeks tomorrow. The gal that hit me said she didn't see me. Talk about terrifying. I had no idea what had happened in the split second after, as the passenger seat and window airbags had gone off. Volvo on Call was on the line within 30 seconds and called local PD/911 for me... Which was really comforting.

My insurance company (Allstate) will be looking at it tomorrow or Friday. They gave me the option to pay my deductible and they'll take care of everything and then get my deductible back from the other drivers insurance. The other option was for me to handle everything with her insurance if I wanted to... But I chose the former.

She hit me in an older jetta. Her airbags didn't go off, which was really surprising. She was able to drive her car off. Crazy. She couldn't have been a day over 22, and said that this was her first accident. I'm guessing she completely blew her stop sign cause she was cited.

Uggghhhhh 7 effing weeks I've had this car, that I am completely in love with. I still have temp plates on it as I was waiting for my vanity plate. Which then came in the mail Monday evening.

I'm so nervous about it having frame damage, cause she hit me so low.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      2018 S60 Cross Country - CPO
      2016 S60 Cross Country (totaled)
      2010 s40 AWD R-design (sold)
      2005 s40 T5 (sold)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Glad you are ok and good luck with Allstate!!

We love our S60CC!
      2017 S90 Inscription (daily)
      2016 S60CC (next generation Volvo driver)
      2017 XC90 Momentum Plus (family)

Previous:
      2019 XC40 R-Design T5 AWD, 2017 V90 Cross Country T6 AWD , 2018 V60 Polestar #103/1500, 2016 XC90 R-Design, 2013 C30 Polestar #141/250,2015.5 V60 R-Design,1998 V70 T5M, 1999 S70 GLT, 2000 V70R, 2004 V70R, 2006 V70R Sonic Blue, 2006 V70R Electric Silver, 2007 V70R Passion Red, 2003 XC90 2.5T, 2007 XC90 V8 Sport Electric Silver, 2007 XC90 Sport V8, Passion Red

True, be happy to be alive ! It wouldn't surprise me if the other driver was texting. Put down the phone, just drive ! Better to talk on bluetooth than text.

Still tough to take, take care man !
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

So my car was finally inspected yesterday, and moved from the tow lot to the body shop. I was informed by the adjuster that there is front pillar post damage, which the body shop confirmed is considered structural damage to the unibody (I'm learning as I go).

I was also informed that the girl that hit me doesn't have insurance. Allstate deposited $500 into my bank account for me to pay my deductible.

I've attached the copies of the initial estimate. I am going Monday am to sign the car over to the body shop to begin.

So, what do you guys think of this? I am mildly freaking out about the structural damage, and how it's going to kill my trade in value... I mean I have only made one payment on the car so far, so is it premature to worry about it?

I asked the allstate adjuster about diminished value and he said that I would have to pursue that on my own... But if the other driver doesn't have insurance, is that a pipe dream?

Allstate informed me that once the repairs are completed they'll be sending the bill to a collection agency to recoup what they can from the other driver.

2005 s40 T5 (sold)

Sorry about your accident and your car - looks like it did its job and kept you safe.

Is auto insurance optional where you live?

I would think pursuing a diminished value claim would be fruitless as you'd be in line behind the insurance company and if someone doesn't have insurance they probably also don't have any assets to go after.

That damage doesn't look that bad to me so I wouldn't be as worried about structural damage and if you plan on owning the car for awhile the hit to it's value probably doesn't matter that much.

Good luck in getting it fixed and getting it back on the road.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

I was curious if you drove the car at any time after being hit. If it drove straight, no cocked steering wheel or pulling, i'd say your frame is ok. Sorry about the accident and glad no injuries but i get the feeling of , it's my new car....unlicensed drivers tick me off.
      Allstate treated me excellent when hit by unlicensed driver in my new truck, 2008. Hope it goes well for you...

Diminished value may be difficult to calculate at this juncture only because you don't know yet when you will sell your car. Perhaps ask Allstate to run a few hypotheticals..if I sell in 3 years with 60K mileage, how much will I lose, if I sell in 6 years and 120K..etc (depending on what mileage you average). There must be some model they have which will be an amount you can try to recover. I assume Allstate only recovers their loss and expects you to recover that amount meaning go to a lawyer, pay fees and go to small claims court. Lots of time and effort if you feel it's worth it depending on how long you plan on keeping the car.

Main thing besides your health is to make sure the bent frame does not impact drivability. Have the shop explain exactly how badly the frame was damaged and what if any noticeable difference you may notice. Judging by the point of impact it looks like a pretty bad hit so the shop performing the repair needs to repair the frame. Special tools for straightening the frame. Good luck, keep us posted.
      Last edited by Highwayman; 01-04-2020 at 09:49 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Diminished value may be difficult to calculate at this juncture only because you don't know yet when you will sell your car.
      Diminished value should be based on the difference in pre-accident value and the value immediately after repairs are complete. It's designed to compensate you for the lost present value of the vehicle. It is not to compensate you for the difference in sales price three years later when you sell the car.

It's very simple for an actuary to calculate diminished value and there is no need to run future scenarios.
      I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.
      2012 S60 T6 R-Design | 1998 S70 T5 SE | 1986 944 Turbo

Thanks for the replies guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Sorry about your accident and your car - looks like it did its job and kept you safe.
      Is auto insurance optional where you live? I would think pursuing a diminished value claim would be fruitless as you'd be in line behind the insurance company and if someone doesn't have insurance they probably also don't have any assets to go after. That damage doesn't look that bad to me so I wouldn't be as worried about structural damage and if you plan on owning the car for awhile the hit to it's value probably doesn't matter that much. Good luck in getting it fixed and getting it back on the road.
      The adjuster said there is front pillar post damage, which the body shop informed me is structural - which scares me a bit. I def plan on owning the car for a while. I only had it 6.5 weeks before the other driver hit me. Grrr. Yes to the optional insurance here in NH. Live free or die, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by jlh3rd View Post
      I was curious if you drove the car at any time after being hit. If it drove straight, no cocked steering wheel or pulling, i'd say your frame is ok. Sorry about the accident and glad no injuries but i get the feeling of , it's my new car....unlicensed drivers tick me off.
      Allstate treated me excellent when hit by unlicensed driver in my new truck, 2008. Hope it goes well for you...
      I drove it about 10' out of the intersection after it happened. I turned the engine off after that, and when the tow truck came, he asked me to try starting it, and it wouldnt. I assumed the engine had been disabled from the airbag deploying. I cant say for sure that it was or wasnt driving oddly. Glad to hear you had a great experience with Allstate!

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Diminished value may be difficult to calculate at this juncture only because you don't know yet when you will sell your car. Perhaps ask Allstate to run a few hypotheticals..if I sell in 3 years with 60K mileage, how much will I lose, if I sell in 6 years and 120K..etc (depending on what mileage you average). There must be some model they have which will be an amount you can try to recover. I assume Allstate only recovers their loss and expects you to recover that amount meaning go to a lawyer, pay fees and go to small claims court. Lots of time and effort if you feel it's worth it depending on how long you plan on keeping the car.

Main thing besides your health is to make sure the bent frame does not impact drivability. Have the shop explain exactly how badly the frame was damaged and what if any noticeable difference you may notice. Judging by the point of impact it looks like a pretty bad hit so the shop performing the repair needs to repair the frame. Special tools for straightening the frame. Good luck, keep us posted.
      This is very helpful. I did see on the estimate that it will need a "unibody pull", so I'll definitely be sure to ask more about it.

I am going to the shop Monday am to sign papers, and now with all your help, I have more knowledge about what I am getting into. I'll keep ya'll posted!

And truly, thanks again guys. This forum is awesome.
      Last edited by dblockerrr; 01-04-2020 at 08:05 PM.
      2005 s40 T5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dblockerrr View Post
      So my car was finally inspected yesterday, and moved from the tow lot to the body shop. I was informed by the adjuster that there is front pillar post damage, which the body shop confirmed is considered structural damage to the unibody (I'm learning as I go).

I was also informed that the girl that hit me doesn't have insurance. Allstate deposited $500 into my bank account for me to pay my deductible.

I've attached the copies of the initial estimate. I am going Monday am to sign the car over to the body shop to begin.

So, what do you guys think of this? I am mildly freaking out about the structural damage, and how it's going to kill my trade in value... I mean I have only made one payment on the car so far, so is it premature to worry about it?

I asked the allstate adjuster about diminished value and he said that I would have to pursue that on my own... But if the other driver doesn't have insurance, is that a pipe dream?

Allstate informed me that once the repairs are completed they'll be sending the bill to a collection agency to recoup what they can from the other driver.

If you don't have a lawyer, get one. Buckle the seatbelt (if it works) and get ready for the ride. It's a bumpy one, and I'm going through similar. 18 year old kid hit my car, but had state minimum liability. Not a damn clue in the world about what insurance was and probably just got his license. I have a Dash Camera, and it was all caught on video, but he did give me the wrong info. Luckily, I was able to track him down and with threat of calling the cops for hit and skip, the proper info landed in my hands. Courtesy of his grandmother (whose insurance card I was given by the kid) who then passed me on to his mother.

I didn't call cops, as my car had rear end damage, and I figured it was recorded on my camera. Don't lead by my example. Anyway it all worked out.

So back to the original story, I have a lawyer. If you don't, GET ONE. My lawyer is in charge of fighting for diminished value, getting my medical bills paid, and going after my insurance for the remaining via underinsured. DO NOT GO AT THIS ALONE: It gets complex, and insurance companies are notorious for using every tactic to screw you. I kid you not, when I reported accident to kid's insurance, they had the nerve to try and tell me even though he hit my car, they wouldn't cover him because he was using his car for "business purposes". I requested an email address, sent them the video, and they stuttered worse than yosemite sam. Told them go to hell, and now we'll be doing things through my lawyer.

SO there you have it bud. Lawyers earn their 25-33% in auto accidents. While their jobs seem menial in nature (gathering accident report, collecting and handling medical bills, presenting an offer to the insurance companies, etc) , insurance companies will not afford you the same respect without an attorney. Insurance companies know if they screw around with an attorney, things could wind up going to court and get expensive quick.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-04-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zenmervolt View Post
      Diminished value should be based on the difference in pre-accident value and the value immediately after repairs are complete. It's designed to compensate you for the lost present value of the vehicle. It is not to compensate you for the difference in sales price three years later when you sell the car.

It's very simple for an actuary to calculate diminished value and there is no need to run future scenarios.
      You being the resident lawyer, I would also point out that insurance companies will kick and scream about paying diminished value. I was told only Georgia has it built into state law that diminished value is mandatory. Op needs to get a lawyer if he wants to pull off diminished value. Or anything for that matter, seeing insurance companies aren't your friend. Even his own, since now he's adversarial to his own insurance company.

As a layman, I can't stress enough the need to hire a good attorney for auto accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post

You being the resident lawyer, I would also point out that insurance companies will kick and scream about paying diminished value.
      I have never in my life had my insurance company (State Farm) "kick and scream" about paying anything. Never. As long as my policy covered it, they've willingly paid it.

I've had debates over how much an item was worth, but resolving those has been as simple as providing documentation.

I have never in my life had my insurance company (State Farm) "kick and scream" about paying anything. Never. As long as my policy covered it, they've willingly paid it.

I've had debates over how much an item was worth, but resolving those has been as simple as providing documentation.
      Pays to be a lawyer and not a layman. I had a guy back into the front of my car, while I was stopped and waiting to enter a driveway. The driver ignored me blaring the horn, and I had cars behind me, so nothing I could have done to avoid this given scenario. Damage to vehicle necessitated a new front bumper. Incident of course caught on camera. State Farm (his insurance) told me to go to hell on diminished value, and that other than Georgia, they don't pay diminished value. I argued the point, got nowhere, and gave up.

This was an accident with no injuries, so no lawyer involved. And I'm sure you've already determined by now, I persistent, and can be a pain in the ass . But this was a unique scenario, as the accident happened at a funeral while trying to enter the cemetery. And the person who hit me was a friend of the deceased, as were we. So I wasn't going to personally go after the driver, and I figured taking State Farm to Small claims for $500 or less wasn't worth the headache. Other option was open a claim with my insurance and have them subrogate the loss for diminished value against State Farm. At that time, I wasn't aware of this technique as an alternative, but going forward, I know this is a work around to insurance companies who are reluctant to pay up. I had to do this about a year later when contractors damaged my car. Which is how I learned about how the whole subrogation method works. Insurance company went after contractors, won in arbitration, and I got paid back my deductible.

None the less, State Farm made it very clear, they had no intentions of paying for anything beyond the damage. Luckily, the accident didn't show up on the vehicle's history. So I ended up letting the matter drop. But I'm sure you dropping the "Lawyer" card probably gives you a better result with much less hassle As they know you can squeeze every penny out of them if they aren't up front.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-05-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Diminished value for a replaced bumper would be less than the cost of the stamp to send you the check... bumper damaged, bumper replaced, end of story. That’s what bumpers are for.
      2009 C70 T5, Celestial Blue 130k
      2011 S60 T6 AWD Caspian Blue

Pays to be a lawyer and not a layman. I had a guy back into the front of my car, while I was stopped and waiting to enter a driveway. The driver ignored me blaring the horn, and I had cars behind me, so nothing I could have done to avoid this given scenario. Damage to vehicle necessitated a new front bumper. Incident of course caught on camera. State Farm (his insurance) told me to go to hell on diminished value, and that other than Georgia, they don't pay diminished value. I argued the point, got nowhere, and gave up.

This was an accident with no injuries, so no lawyer involved. And I'm sure you've already determined by now, I persistent, and can be a pain in the ass . But this was a unique scenario, as the accident happened at a funeral while trying to enter the cemetery. And the person who hit me was a friend of the deceased, as were we. So I wasn't going to personally go after the driver, and I figured taking State Farm to Small claims for $500 or less wasn't worth the headache. Other option was open a claim with my insurance and have them subrogate the loss for diminished value against State Farm. At that time, I wasn't aware of this technique as an alternative, but going forward, I know this is a work around to insurance companies who are reluctant to pay up. I had to do this about a year later when contractors damaged my car. Which is how I learned about how the whole subrogation method works. Insurance company went after contractors, won in arbitration, and I got paid back my deductible.

None the less, State Farm made it very clear, they had no intentions of paying for anything beyond the damage. Luckily, the accident didn't show up on the vehicle's history. So I ended up letting the matter drop. But I'm sure you dropping the "Lawyer" card probably gives you a better result with much less hassle As they know you can squeeze every penny out of them if they aren't up front.
      As others have pointed out, the amount of diminished value for a parking lot incident is not going to even register. Frankly, in that sort of situation I'd go so far as to consider it objectively unreasonable to pursue a diminished value claim.

In regards to "dropping the lawyer card," I tend to avoid it. When dealing with these sorts of situations I simply state, truthfully, that I work in the Tax field. Coming at people with "I'm a lawyer" tends to make them unwilling to deal with me and complicates the entire process.

A final thing for people to remember: Your own insurance company has a duty to you. The other person's insurance company has a duty to the other person. Of course the other person's insurance is going to resist payment. They are legally obligated to act in the interest of their insured (within the bounds of his or her policy, of course). Because of this, you're going to have to substantiate your claims and patiently document your position if you're dealing with the other party's insurance. It's really just a matter of having patience and being meticulous. What helped me get a bit over $4,000 for my 21-year-old, 190,000 mile S70 when it was totaled was not being a lawyer. It was reading the insurance company's valuation report (which missed every optional extra on my car) and having an inch-thick binder full of every maintenance receipt ever for the car to demonstrate that it was in "very well-maintained" condition instead of the "average" condition of their initial valuation.

^ Very well said. Thank you.
      2016 XC70 2.5L T5 AWD, Platinum, Seashell/black, ipd rear bar, Curt hitch
      Previous Volvos: '16 V60CC, ours; '6? 145 & '7? 245, hers; '68 122S Wagon, his.
      Non-Volvos previously owned: waaay too many to list here.

As others have pointed out, the amount of diminished value for a parking lot incident is not going to even register. Frankly, in that sort of situation I'd go so far as to consider it objectively unreasonable to pursue a diminished value claim.
      I needed a new front headlight (cracked), a new bumper, and some odds and ends. Came in around $2,400 having pulled out the receipt just now. So I felt diminished value was justified, but I let it go. Again, if I had known or pushed further, subrogation probably would have been ideal solution to a hesitant insurance company's B.S. My insurance company would pay, recoup the money, and reimburse me. As happened with the contract incident a year later.

I went to CarMax to get a "True Market Value" appraisal, and their estimate came in lower than the "proposed" market value having told them of the incident. None the less, I didn't pursue things.

In regards to "dropping the lawyer card," I tend to avoid it. When dealing with these sorts of situations I simply state, truthfully, that I work in the Tax field. Coming at people with "I'm a lawyer" tends to make them unwilling to deal with me and complicates the entire process.
      True, but the option does exist.

A final thing for people to remember: Your own insurance company has a duty to you. The other person's insurance company has a duty to the other person. Of course the other person's insurance is going to resist payment. They are legally obligated to act in the interest of their insured (within the bounds of his or her policy, of course). Because of this, you're going to have to substantiate your claims and patiently document your position if you're dealing with the other party's insurance. It's really just a matter of having patience and being meticulous. What helped me get a bit over $4,000 for my 21-year-old, 190,000 mile S70 when it was totaled was not being a lawyer. It was reading the insurance company's valuation report (which missed every optional extra on my car) and having an inch-thick binder full of every maintenance receipt ever for the car to demonstrate that it was in "very well-maintained" condition instead of the "average" condition of their initial valuation.
      Solid advice. But I'd say it's often easier to file a claim through your insurance for certain losses and have your insurance subrogate the claim on your behalf. As in your own words, 'Your own insurance company has a duty to you". I.E. File a diminished value claim through your policy, and rest assured, your insurance wants paid back! At least in my state, arbitration hearings between insurance companies are binding. Which is why when a city contractor damaged my vehicle, and the city and contractor told me to go to hell, I went through my insurance and they WON arbitration against the contractor.

It pays to be meticulous. I had to do the same when my car got totaled. Show every receipt about how much was dumped in to boost value. $3,000 wasn't much for a car I'd dumped so much in to repair, but I squeezed out as much as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Sysyphus61 View Post
      Diminished value for a replaced bumper would be less than the cost of the stamp to send you the check... bumper damaged, bumper replaced, end of story. That’s what bumpers are for.
      I understated the damage when I looked at my bill. It was a brand new bumper, a busted headlight, and few odds and ends. Came to around $2,500 in damage. Also went to CarMax for TMV appraisal being honest about what happened, and it came in lower than "perfect offer". So there was a loss, but I let it go. More so because it didn't show up on the Car's History (Carfax / Autocheck). And I wasn't around of subrogating against another person's insurance at the time. And I didn't want the headache of fighting over say $400 or $500 at that moment. Seeing how someone I knew for 30+ years had just died suddenly.

So I found out on Tuesday of this past week that the owner of the vehicle that hit me does in fact have insurance. I was finally able to get a rental yesterday.

We both have Allstate insurance.

I should know Monday regarding details of the damage as the body shop did a tear down Thursday and yesterday.

Now that we know that the other guy has insurance, is it worthwhile to look into diminished value if it is repaired?

2005 s40 T5 (sold)

My last accident when I was rear ended was a few years ago and we both had Allstate and it got resolved very quickly. Given this relationship I think I'd try for diminished value - doesn't hurt to ask.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

So I found out on Tuesday of this past week that the owner of the vehicle that hit me does in fact have insurance. I was finally able to get a rental yesterday.

We both have Allstate insurance.

I should know Monday regarding details of the damage as the body shop did a tear down Thursday and yesterday.

Now that we know that the other guy has insurance, is it worthwhile to look into diminished value if it is repaired?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm speaking from personal experience here. And you've got a number of concerns

1. Your Airbags went off = Already going to be listed as Airbags deployed.
      2. If there's frame damage, that's going to compound the problem.

So your car has lost A VERY SIZEABLE portion of value. And I'd definitely fight for compensation, especially since your car is BRAND NEW. My Lawyer is using this place, as my car was recently hit. https://www.vehicleinfo.com/

Submit all repair estimates / total repairs along with pictures to the above. It costs $60. And they'll give you a Diminished Value Estimate. I presume with my lawyer using it, the site's trustworthy.

Other MAJOR CONCERN:

1. Were you injured at all? Do you have Medical Bills?

2. You and the At Fault having ALLSTATE doesn't necessary tip the scale in your favor. For instance, if you had Allstate and he had GEICO, Allstate would fight for you on a claim, especially if GEICO played games. You could file the accident under your Allstate and then Allstate would collect from GEICO (subrogate).

Here, you both have Allstate, so that puts you in a pickle of whose best interest is Allstate going to serve. Chances are it isn't yours, as insurance companies aren't in the game of losing money.

3. If you had injuries or medical bills, and with the HUGE Diminished Value Claim, I'd get a lawyer. If no injuries, submit your estimate to the link above and present your diminished value to Allstate.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-11-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Got the final updated estimate just now. Comes to $17308 to repair. The body shop said it's likely to be totaled, and they submitted the update as a total loss review.

I'm so effing sad.

2005 s40 T5 (sold)

Got the final updated estimate just now. Comes to $17308 to repair. The body shop said it's likely to be totaled, and they submitted the update as a total loss review.

I'm so effing sad.

Sounds right. Even though you owned 7 weeks, after looking back, it was a 2016. Guess you're in the market for a new one. But that's a good thing. You'd neverwant that car back, even repaired, after that level of damage.

Time to start shopping!
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

Sounds right. Even though you owned 7 weeks, after looking back, it was a 2016. Guess you're in the market for a new one. But that's a good thing. You'd neverwant that car back, even repaired, after that level of damage.
      Very, very true.

2005 s40 T5 (sold)

There are couple of platinums for sale in CT priced in the low to mid $20s. Roughly 30k
      And 40k miles. One is at Volvo Danbury, the other is Import Auto in Stonington. I found them on the cars.com app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 V60CC T5 5 Cyl/Crystal White/Plat/BLIS/Conv/Climate/Tech/Moose magnets

Quote Originally Posted by william9 View Post
      There are couple of platinums for sale in CT priced in the low to mid $20s. Roughly 30k
      And 40k miles. One is at Volvo Danbury, the other is Import Auto in Stonington. I found them on the cars.com app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Check cargurus and google 201x volvo s60 cross country platinum or what not.

I have not received the official word yet if my car will be totaled, but I did find that Allstate had a market value report done via CCC One Info Services, so I think it's safe to assume it is coming. This company, CCC One obtained comps from 3 car sales businesses. I say "car sales" and not Volvo dealerships as the 3 comps are listed from small "buy here pay here, no credit no problem" type places. FFS, one of them sells tires primarily! Oh and, their prices come from "dealer quotation" as opposed to actual comp S60 CC they have for sale (which they don't). This company came back with a market value for my car at $22,280. The 3 comp prices are $21k, $22500, and $21500. This is SUCH horse****. Why are they gathering comps from these rinky-dink type places as opposed to a Volvo dealership? There are 4 within an hour of me. There is a 2018 CC with 23K miles locally - does that qualify as a comp? I just don't want to get screwed over. I do luckily have gap insurance. This whole thing SUCKS.

I'd like to slug that effing kid who hit me.

I have started to peruse AutoTrader and CarGurus... and found a really nice CC in NY, as well as a beautiful RD locally. The RD has been sitting on the dealerships lot for over a year, which is peculiar. Clean carfax, one owner - looks pristine. I think I may swing by the lot on my way home this AM to take a peek.
      2005 s40 T5 (sold)

If you're considering the RD vs. CC, there are 2 cars semi-close by that are both: one year newer, have fewer miles, and are certified in comparison to the one you mention (I assume it's the one at State Motors?). Seems like both are a better deal than the one you mention. Oh, and the white one has the Polestar tune added!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1166/overview/
      https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9820/overview/
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

I have not received the official word yet if my car will be totaled, but I did find that Allstate had a market value report done via CCC One Info Services, so I think it's safe to assume it is coming. This company, CCC One obtained comps from 3 car sales businesses. I say "car sales" and not Volvo dealerships as the 3 comps are listed from small "buy here pay here, no credit no problem" type places. FFS, one of them sells tires primarily! Oh and, their prices come from "dealer quotation" as opposed to actual comp S60 CC they have for sale (which they don't). This company came back with a market value for my car at $22,280. The 3 comp prices are $21k, $22500, and $21500. This is SUCH horse****. Why are they gathering comps from these rinky-dink type places as opposed to a Volvo dealership? There are 4 within an hour of me. There is a 2018 CC with 23K miles locally - does that qualify as a comp? I just don't want to get screwed over. I do luckily have gap insurance. This whole thing SUCKS.

I'd like to slug that effing kid who hit me.

I have started to peruse AutoTrader and CarGurus... and found a really nice CC in NY, as well as a beautiful RD locally. The RD has been sitting on the dealerships lot for over a year, which is peculiar. Clean carfax, one owner - looks pristine. I think I may swing by the lot on my way home this AM to take a peek.
      Listen, you need to do your own homework, too. Don't rely on the insurance company! Go ahead, find comparable cars online, with similar options and mileage, vehicle history to the one you owned. When I say vehicle history, I mean if your car was a lease / demo / loaner don't let the insurance company use a "rental". Rental cars always sell for less1 Submit these to the insurance company. You need to argue that their evaluations are low ball offers.

Remember, the insurance companies have shareholders. Their job is to minimize their losses and maximize their profits. Don't sign any paperwork until you reach an evaluation you feel is fair and equitable.

Listen, you need to do your own homework, too. Don't rely on the insurance company! Go ahead, find comparable cars online, with similar options and mileage, vehicle history to the one you owned. When I say vehicle history, I mean if your car was a lease / demo / loaner don't let the insurance company use a "rental". Rental cars always sell for less1 Submit these to the insurance company. You need to argue that their evaluations are low ball offers.

Remember, the insurance companies have shareholders. Their job is to minimize their losses and maximize their profits. Don't sign any paperwork until you reach an evaluation you feel is fair and equitable.
      Good advice--every word of it.

Loved the CC so much I bought another one

2005 s40 T5 (sold)

36. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements