Vibration at 75 mph+ (2019 S60) - Page 4
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      AWD issue is easy to diagnose. Decouple it, drive it. No vibration? - that's the driveshaft.
      It's interesting though that for mine they did just that, and yet whatever they replaced (final drive) didn't fix it.
      How easy is that to do? The Volvo Tech bulletin has the tech *remove* the prop shaft, and that makes sense, as the coupling is at the rear diff so the prop shaft is spinning, i.e. can induce vibration, whether the AWD is engaged or not, which is why it seems Volvo would have the tech go to the trouble of removing the entire shaft and then test driving the car. I don't know what kinda job that is though, on my '87 Grand National I could have the driveshaft out in 10min but no idea how easy that is on this car.

It doesn't seem there is any definitive cause emerging so far at any rate...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      How easy is that to do? The Volvo Tech bulletin has the tech *remove* the prop shaft, and that makes sense, as the coupling is at the rear diff so the prop shaft is spinning, i.e. can induce vibration, whether the AWD is engaged or not, which is why it seems Volvo would have the tech go to the trouble of removing the entire shaft and then test driving the car. I don't know what kinda job that is though, on my '87 Grand National I could have the driveshaft out in 10min but no idea how easy that is on this car.

It doesn't seem there is any definitive cause emerging so far at any rate...
      I honestly have no idea. I go by what the tech said when they were doing repairs.
      He said - I decoupled the car, go drive it. Vibration was gone.
      Then they replaced the final drive - vibration was back.
      This issue is still giving me vibration PTSD in both of my SPA Volvos.

FWIW - I think they replaced a wrong thing in my (now gone) XC60.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

And strangely they replaced the final drive, which I would take to mean the rear diff/coupler unit, so they had determined the prop shaft was good I guess? Or maybe they were wrong! Clearly something is still amiss.

I was totally convincing myself I got the vibration, but took a drive on the highway recently and all seems well, other than the brake rotors def need some attention for warp-age. It sounds to me this is not a "if I concentrate I can sense a little vibration" but something far more prevalent than that. Sorry it is driving you nuts!

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      And strangely they replaced the final drive, which I would take to mean the rear diff/coupler unit, so they had determined the prop shaft was good I guess? Or maybe they were wrong! Clearly something is still amiss.

I was totally convincing myself I got the vibration, but took a drive on the highway recently and all seems well, other than the brake rotors def need some attention for warp-age. It sounds to me this is not a "if I concentrate I can sense a little vibration" but something far more prevalent than that. Sorry it is driving you nuts!
      Those driveshaft caused vibrations were hard to misinterpret. They were violent and would start on queue 1 mile over 65 MPH. And would get unbearable by 75 MPH. Everything would shake.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

I’ve experienced vibrations since new at speeds 65+ similar to the OP (I purchased at a dealer in MA late last year).

My first attempted service, ~ 5-700 miles on the odometer, resulted in a balancing of all four wheels/ tires after concurrence w/ the service advisor that a seat and steering wheel vibration existed. PNCS was mentioned as a possible culprit as my car sat on the lot for a while before I purchased (only 7 miles on it at my first test drive). Post service the advisor said if the vibrations persisted I should take it to the dealer where I purchased it; first service was at a dealer in RI.

I do a weekly drive to Boston which affords a long drive over varied surfaces cruising at 65+, so ample opportunity to experience the optional “massaging seat & steering wheel” driving to and fro. Balancing didn’t immediately fix the vibration, but I drove until about 2,700 miles before I took it to another Volvo dealer in RI. All four tires measure 9/32” on tread depth and 3 of the 4 had excessive road force that could not be corrected. Service tech measured 21, 31 and 39 lbs for the 3 out of spec tires, PNCS was identified as the root cause. Volvo was kind enough to replace those 3 tires free of charge even though they aren’t a warranty item.

I’ll report back if the vibrations return. Thus far all is pretty smooth and I do notice an improvement at 65+ especially. Lower speeds have typically been buttery smooth during my ownership.

My thanks to the OP and other contributors to this thread.

‘19 S60 T6 AWD R-Design P*

Quote Originally Posted by USAF_Paul View Post
      My 2019 S60 Inscription has just under 10k miles on it and it shakes at 74-75mph or higher, too. Not a strong shake, but certainly not buttery smooth. I’ll have it addressed at my 1st service.

Btw, I had a road-hazard-related blow-out at just under 4K miles. Had the dealer mount a new tire, and I brought it up then. Service tech said he’s heard of some issue, but recommended that I give it until my 10k service to see if it goes away. Seemed like an odd reply.
      FWIW: I picked up my T6 today from its 10K mile service at the dealership. I complained about this again like I did in December and was told they replicated the concern and attributed it to the Pirelli tires. Dealer said they are applying for warranty replacement on my behalf with Pirelli (I got the impression they were familiar with the issue.)

Quote Originally Posted by USAF_Paul View Post
      FWIW: I picked up my T6 today from its 10K mile service at the dealership. I complained about this again like I did in December and was told they replicated the concern and attributed it to the Pirelli tires. Dealer said they are applying for warranty replacement on my behalf with Pirelli (I got the impression they were familiar with the issue.)
      doubt the tires will fix it but hell, free new tires! I'd happily let them go ahead with that after 10K miles
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Anyone who have this weird vibration issue, kindly request from your dealer to test drive a similar car as yours, preferably new, and check for the same vibration that you are feeling with your car. Try to replicate it.

I did this with my S90, it turned out two other S90 have the same vibration as my car. One car was even brand new. No doubt there's a big issue somewhere.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      Anyone who have this weird vibration issue, kindly request from your dealer to test drive a similar car as yours, preferably new, and check for the same vibration that you are feeling with your car. Try to replicate it.

I did this with my S90, it turned out two other S90 have the same vibration as my car. One car was even brand new. No doubt there's a big issue somewhere.

Yes - I’ve driven 2 XC60s with the issue, one without as well as a V60cc with the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOFAN12 View Post
      Yes - I’ve driven 2 XC60s with the issue, one without as well as a V60cc with the issue.
      The one without the issue, was it the same spec (T5/T6 and AWD/FWD)?

Took my 19 S60 into the dealer today, and they said it's most likely the tires. Their fix is to dismount the tires and remove the foam. Seems kind of strange to me, but the service manager told me they've been doing this fix for the past month on multiple vehicles per day - XC90, XC60, S90, S60; basically every model that has the PNCS tires.

We've had huge temperature swings in Michigan this winter, going from near 60 F down to 20 F and back up to 60 F all within a week, so the dealer attributes the drastic change to unsettle the foam. I'll report back tomorrow after driving on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by volnedan View Post
      Took my 19 S60 into the dealer today, and they said it's most likely the tires. Their fix is to dismount the tires and remove the foam. Seems kind of strange to me, but the service manager told me they've been doing this fix for the past month on multiple vehicles per day - XC90, XC60, S90, S60; basically every model that has the PNCS tires.

We've had huge temperature swings in Michigan this winter, going from near 60 F down to 20 F and back up to 60 F all within a week, so the dealer attributes the drastic change to unsettle the foam. I'll report back tomorrow after driving on the highway.
      Have had the same experience in my car, unfortunately dealer was not aware of the issue. Fixed it myself at a tire repair shop combining it with wheel force balancing.
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

Dealer made quick work of the issue: only one tire had the loose foam, but they removed it from all the tires and did a re-balance for each.

Now the only problem is my car pulls slightly to the left. Never had this issue before, so I'm going to wait to see if the tires settle down this week.

Glad to hear that removing the foam resolved your issue. But I’m kind of surprised a dealer would do this- I can’t imagine your tire warranty remains intact after they pull the foam out, but I could be wrong.

I think Volvo should ditch the foam tires anyway. I’ve been driving on winter tires with no foam since November and I really didn’t notice an increase in road noise. They’re more trouble than they’re worth IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, those pirellis have been trouble for years! There's a reason the inscription comes with Michelin Primacy Tour now
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Guys... You will not believe it. I found two loose axle bolts (front) to be the main cause for my S90 AWD Vibration issue. I think the bolts were loose since my car was out from Volvo Factory. Long story short, the loose axle bolts have damaged one axle already. I discovered the another loose bolt when I was about to give up from the vibration issue. I will check with the dealer if the another axle was also damaged...

Get your dealer to check these bolts because techs are not instructed in any Technical Journal to check these bolts nor they do inspect them.

Hope this helps someone got frustrated from the vibration issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dpothier View Post
      Glad to hear that removing the foam resolved your issue. But I’m kind of surprised a dealer would do this- I can’t imagine your tire warranty remains intact after they pull the foam out, but I could be wrong.

I think Volvo should ditch the foam tires anyway. I’ve been driving on winter tires with no foam since November and I really didn’t notice an increase in road noise. They’re more trouble than they’re worth IMO.

I cant speak to the S60 factory tires, but Continental Cross Contact LX Sport tires (with acoustic foam inside) on my XC60 are very noticeably quieter than other quality A/S Continental tires. See this discussion.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by risrael View Post
      Big news on a Dutch Volvo Forum. Since week 46 of last year some modifications have been made to the SPA platform which is in the subframe.
      With these changes the vibrations should be resolved. Unfortunate for the cars manufactured before this week as these modifications cannot be performed on existing cars.
      Do we know what chassis # week 46 is on the various models?
      Current: 2020 V60CC, Osmium Grey, Amber
      Past: 2015.5 V60 T5 AWD, Savile Grey, Beechwood.
      Past: 2011 V50 AWD, Savile Grey
      First: 1978 245DL - Orange, Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd23 View Post
      Guys... You will not believe it. I found two loose axle bolts (front) to be the main cause for my S90 AWD Vibration issue. I think the bolts were loose since my car was out from Volvo Factory. Long story short, the loose axle bolts have damaged one axle already. I discovered the another loose bolt when I was about to give up from the vibration issue. I will check with the dealer if the another axle was also damaged...

Get your dealer to check these bolts because techs are not instructed in any Technical Journal to check these bolts nor they do inspect them.

Hope this helps someone got frustrated from the vibration issue.

Can you possibly take a photo of the section of the axle where this bolt is? Or a photo of the bolt you're speaking of?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Acb5456 View Post
      Can you possibly take a photo of the section of the axle where this bolt is? Or a photo of the bolt you're speaking of?

Thank you!
      Sure..

https://youtu.be/6gUaY-G4iYo

For more info check my last post in the below thread:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth.../615071?page=5

Today I let my tires being changed for the summer ones. I told the dealer that I wanted the Pirellis to be replaced by Michelins. So they did. And what 'd you know? No vibrations anymore! Just hope it will stay that way.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by risrael View Post
      Today I let my tires being changed for the summer ones. I told the dealer that I wanted the Pirellis to be replaced by Michelins. So they did. And what 'd you know? No vibrations anymore! Just hope it will stay that way.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk
      That sounds excellent... I have had my S60 for three weeks, and it has spent two of the three with the service department. I still have an irregular vibration at 70mph+, and they road force balanced the wheels several times to be within the "sensitive" spec, but yet it still has this vibration.

I wonder how many visits I will need to make before they replace the Pirellis with something else. I have 467 miles on the car now.
      Current: 2020 S60 T5 Inscription, 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero, 1986 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible
      Past: 2013 Acura TSX, 1999 Saab 9-3 Viggen

My 2019 S60 is the smoothest ride I've owned, even at 80+mph. A year old now with 7500 miles. I'm wondering if certain options make a difference? I have a T6 inscription AWD with P* and 4C suspension. and like I said I'm up over 80 MPH and don't even realize it cause its so smooth. Oh I have Michelin's on the the S60
      Last edited by SEXY90; 04-18-2020 at 11:09 AM.
      1976 264 GL
      1990 240 DL
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription Polestar(OSD)
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Polestar

Seems like the Pirellis with the foam inside are a trouble spot...

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4