Vibration at 75 mph+ (2019 S60) - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      FWIW, when I had my issue, the vibrations got a lot better when it was cold outside (especially when it got really cold). Also, they'd get progressively worse as I drove more. Like something (*cough*driveshaft*cough*) would heat up over time and get worse and worse.
      I know, I know...

I’ve made myself crazy just trying to get a dealer to look beyond the tires and rims for the root cause, but they just wouldn’t.

It’s at another dealer now- they want me to drive the original wheels down, which requires 1.5 hours in the car. I’m trying to figure out if they’re just planning on balancing them and giving them right back to me or if they’ll actually dig deeper. If I have to start over from scratch it’s getting lemon’d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Update!

Got my car back last week. I'm cutting the dealer a little slack since they had it over two holidays and were in contact with Volvo service support to get approval for what we think has resolved the issue.

They ran through the steps that were prescribed by Volvo:
      1. check balance of all four wheels/tires - 4/4 would not balance within spec.
      2. dismount tires, check condition of foam inserts - found foam intact and in good condition in 4/4 tires
      3. road force balance to determine how far out of spec each tire is
      4. road test vehicle with tire pressure at lower specification to allow more tire flex
      5. road force balance - found 3/4 still out of specification
      6. submit findings to Volvo for approval - approved replacement of 3/4 tires
      7. road force balance new tires, mount to vehicle, remaining original tire mounted to pass. side rear
      8. road test at specified pressure to verify concern is resolved
      (may not have these in exact order, but this is the gist of what they did)

End result is that the vibration is no longer present. 28 days and over 100 miles later I have my car back and it is driving as it should. Dealer put a full tank of gas in the car and I had an XC90 loaner the entire time.Communications could have been better, but other than that I'm not worried about future service needs.

Of course, now I'm scrutinizing everything on the car and it has developed a clicking noise in the driver's seat that I can hear in stop / go traffic and it's driving me crazy. I don't want to give up my car for another long service visit, so for now I'm turning up the lovely Harman Kardon stereo and opening the panoramic roof and enjoying the drive. I'll wait for the noise to get worse or address it at my first service.

For the record, my dealer is Galpin Volvo in Van Nuys, CA.

Someone on the XC60 just posted this about the TJ being updated:

“This TJ has recently been updated: TJ20803.21.0-2020-01-06 - Test schedule for vehicle speed dependent vibrations at highway speeds

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.......-01-06.pdf”

I haven’t compared it to the previous revision yet to see what’s changed.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOFAN12 View Post
      My 2019 has spent over 60 days in service and the issue has not been resolved. I have tried 2 different dealerships.
      Lemon it.
      That’s going to happy very soon if they keep screwing around. I have had a case open for months

Can anyone recommend a good lemon law lawyer in MA?

Unless by some act of god, balancing my wheels for the 15th time actually fixes the problem, I’ll be needing a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Text View Post
      Do you have a T6? Did you mention the TJ that ultimately states to replace the propeller/drive shaft?

I really want to know if anyone with a T6 has a car that doesn't vibrate at all and if anyone actually had the drive shaft replaced to successfully fix the issue.
      I have a T6 AWD Momentum with 18” Conti pro contacts and 3700 miles. Mine is ‘buttery smooth’ on the highway up to ~80-90 mph.
      Current: 2008 XC90 3.2, 2012 Passat 2.5 SE, 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2019 S60 T6 AWD Momentum w/ premium, multimedia
      Prior: 2015 S60 T5 Drive-e Premier p*, IPD anti-sway bar, 2015 Jetta TDI SE 6MT (in a stadium lot somewhere), 2006 Saab 9-3 SS 5MT, 2002 Saab 9-3 SE 5MT

Do you have a T6? Did you mention the TJ that ultimately states to replace the propeller/drive shaft?

I really want to know if anyone with a T6 has a car that doesn't vibrate at all and if anyone actually had the drive shaft replaced to successfully fix the issue.
      Our T6 is buttery smooth at all speeds. MY 2018
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Vibration at 75 mph+ (2019 S60)

Don’t know if MY20V90 T6 counts but no vibe from 0-131mph

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Don’t know if MY20V90 T6 counts but no vibe from 0-131mph

Nice!!
      2020 V60 CC, Birch Light, Advanced PKG, 19" wheels
      Past cars: Original Toyota 86, Subaru Legacy Wagon, Audi A4, V70, XC70, BMW M3, AMG SLK, Mini Cooper S

Balancing my wheels a 15th time did not work, just to confirm. Vibrations were back within days

Quote Originally Posted by krzyss View Post
      It sounds like foam filled tires are candidates for exclusive nitrogen fill.
      Interesting.

Krzyś
      air already is 75% nitrogen. If somebody would suck all the air from tries before inflating with nitrogen, then maybe with we worth it. Quality air compressors have air dryer built in and this nitrogen fill is just marketing BS.

Quote Originally Posted by jaep View Post
      I took a long trip yesterday (4 hours on highway) and stayed around 75mp. No vibration at that speed or even slightly higher. I have 2000miles on the clock now. I had read many threads about the vibration so my whole body was like a sensor while driving. Knocking on the wood.

I have a different concern. When I take off from stand-still, I feel some minor vibration in the rear. It feels like the rear wheel are wobbling. It disappears as soon as the speed reaches 20mph. I kinda think that the rear diff is doing it for some reason as it happens only when AWD is engaged.

There is always something, eh?
      interesting, our T6 does it too. I call it drive line shudder. I had something similar in modded Audi A4 during high torque demand. Issue was solved changing whole drive shaft(under warranty) since center support bearing was not available as spare part.

Quote Originally Posted by BusteRT6 View Post
      interesting, our T6 does it too. I call it drive line shudder. I had something similar in modded Audi A4 during high torque demand. Issue was solved changing whole drive shaft(under warranty) since center support bearing was not available as spare part.
      Well, I am kind of glad that I am not the only one. I drove in the offroad mode a few days ago to see if I get the same vibration from the rear but there was none. So, maybe it is something to do with the clutch in the Haldex? I do not know if its clutch is 100% off or 100% off. If it does a gradual engagement like a manual clutch, the vibration may be caused during its "half clutch phase"?

I am at almost 4000 miles, so when it is due to the 5000 mile service, I will bring the issue up to Service's attention. I can tell at almost 100% confidence level that they will not acknowledge the issue, lol
      Past cars: Original Toyota 86, Subaru Legacy Wagon, Audi A4, V70, XC70, BMW M3, AMG SLK, Mini Cooper S

Dealer told me...normal. I will raise this question again. This is even in Eco mode btw this is V90 T6RP*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hello all,

This weekend I took my car on it's first long distance trip. Went down to AC and towards the end of the trip closer to my destination, the Garden State Parkway speeds up. Everyone does about 80mph on average.

Where I live I don't take the car up to that speed but while doing this I noticed the car vibrates. The steering wheel, pedal and floor. Almost feels like like the car is doing 140mph and wind resistance is making the car vibrate. About 70mph and below I don't really feel it or notice it but if I do 80 I expect the car to be buttery smooth but I get that noticeable vibration.

Currently, the car has 1,200 miles on it. The alignment is fine as it drives straight. Pro Pilot assist was used often and didn't seem affected. Visually the steering wheel doesn't look like it's vibrating or shaking, but you feel it.

I'm thinking a high speed wheel balancing should fix it but the car only has 1,200 miles on it.

I'm planning on making an appointment. I have a wheel and tire plan when I got the car so if I need a new rim or tire (potholes) it should all be covered.

To those with a 2019 S60 or V60, is it buttery smooth around 80mph?
      Is this problem on the T5's too, or only the T6's? I am about to purchase on Tuesday the T5 R design...don't want to purchase any problems if I can help it.

I didn’t have any vibration issues with my T5.

I suggest taking it for a really good test drive, definitely on the highway and try to get it up to speeds you may hit during normal driving. If you don’t feel anything/enjoy the way the car handles at speed, then you should be good to go.

When my T5 was bought back and I test drove the T6, I barely did a test drive and didn’t get the car over 45. I was told is was “basically the same car” by the salesmen and I incorrectly assumed that it would drive very similarly to my T5.

The shaking was there as soon as I got to the freeway (over 10 miles from dealer). A thorough test drive definitely would’ve kept me out of this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman2222 View Post
      Is this problem on the T5's too, or only the T6's? I am about to purchase on Tuesday the T5 R design...don't want to purchase any problems if I can help it.
      Just an FYI I have a T5 S90 and the problem exists.

I have a V60 T5. I have vibrations just above 75 mph but I must admit they are minor and acceptable. They were worse with my Pirelli summer tyres. I now have Michelin winter tyres.

I wouldn’t call any vibration acceptable on new or almost new car without prior damage. I’m sure I’m not alone.

I also have a T5 S60, from the Netherlands. On the Dutch Volvo Forum is there too a whole topic about the vibration on these models.

My own S60 T5 had it a little bit.
      Is is not that bad that the whole car shakes. But the vibration is certainly there.
      But not in the seats or steering wheel, just as it feel on the front axel / tires .
      I am just a private car owner.
      I drive with the 20 inch R design rims and summer Pirelli P Zero tires at the moment.
      ( more rain here then snow etc. )

But a lot of the people on the Dutch forum with lease cars, returned there cars back to the lease company.
      They claim its not acceptable that a 53K ( euro ) car(s) have these kinds of vibrations.
      The dealer here in the Netherlands says that the vibration problem is a product feature....
      In other words you just have to accept it they say!

If you are on the break of buying this type of car, i would think twince!

It is a fantastic car but the vibration does seriously affect the driving pleasure.
      Last edited by Symtom; 02-15-2020 at 02:07 AM.

I wouldn’t call any vibration acceptable on new or almost new car without prior damage. I’m sure I’m not alone.

Seriously? On NY/NJ roads? I mean the newly paved roads are like washboards...
      There is road-caused vibrations in all the cars = that is acceptable. So yes, some vibration is acceptable. I've never been on a road in Northeast in any car that felt smooth, it just doesn't happen here. Smooth-ish, sure.

But what's happening with the SPA Volvos is not road-caused. Let's not mix those things together.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Seriously? On NY/NJ roads? I mean the newly paved roads are like washboards...
      There is road-caused vibrations in all the cars = that is acceptable. So yes, some vibration is acceptable. I've never been on a road in Northeast in any car that felt smooth, it just doesn't happen here. Smooth-ish, sure.

But what's happening with the SPA Volvos is not road-caused. Let's not mix those things together.
      Yup you got it. We are talking about bad roads in this post. Brilliant.

Yup you got it. We are talking about bad roads in this post. Brilliant.

As snarky as you think you are - click on my signature.
      I would know the difference, I'd think, among the proper and non-proper vibration.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

If I have constant vibration felt on the steering wheel, brake pedal, my seat or in the trunk every time I’m on the highway doing 75+ for x amount of time going to work or other places, it will be there on the autobahn or the badly broken interstate 495. There is no road that I know of that would give me that sensation for longer periods of time. If there is an imperfection in a road I would know about it from another vehicle, it would be ignored and different road would be chosen to test my vibration. Now if the vibration goes away when I slow down to 59mph, does that mean the road under just fixed itself? I’m not here to bash you or any other poster, I’m just reading the updates on the posts that mention the issue and possible solutions, as I’m an owner of a new and very smooth riding V90 gathering information for the time my smoothness goes away and gets replaced by the issue others complain about.
      I have tested my car numerous times from 0-131mph in Europe on my 3kmile trip with only one instance of vibration due to flat spot on the tires in -9C which went away within 10 minutes of spirited driving. There is just distinct difference between constant vibration and road imperfections. Pace

It's curious to see that on this forum that most of the issues are with the S60 and not the V60. I wonder if having that particular car produced in a new plant as the main source of issues.

I have a 2020 V60 and have experienced only one issue in just under 8000kms of ownership. My driver's seat "clicks" and hopefully when I bring it in they will be able to resolve the issue quickly as it is driving me nuts.
      (Hers) 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design | Passion Red | Convenience | Vision | Climate with Heated Windshield | Carbon Fiber | Nappa Leather | Black Headliner |
      (His) 2020 V60 T6 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Premium | Premium Plus (HUD) |

Quote Originally Posted by thorin33 View Post
      It's curious to see that on this forum that most of the issues are with the S60 and not the V60. I wonder if having that particular car produced in a new plant as the main source of issues.

I have a 2020 V60 and have experienced only one issue in just under 8000kms of ownership. My driver's seat "clicks" and hopefully when I bring it in they will be able to resolve the issue quickly as it is driving me nuts.
      The parts could be from different source, maybe in same country as the factory.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by thorin33 View Post

My issues were with XC60

Lemon Law Buyback thread

Big news on a Dutch Volvo Forum. Since week 46 of last year some modifications have been made to the SPA platform which is in the subframe.
      With these changes the vibrations should be resolved. Unfortunate for the cars manufactured before this week as these modifications cannot be performed on existing cars.

Quote Originally Posted by risrael View Post
      Big news on a Dutch Volvo Forum. Since week 46 of last year some modifications have been made to the SPA platform which is in the subframe.
      With these changes the vibrations should be resolved. Unfortunate for the cars manufactured before this week as these modifications cannot be performed on existing cars.
      That's good news. Basically, they finally admitted it's a goddamn problem and (maybe?) fixed it.

Lemon Law Buyback thread

I am the OP for this specific thread but would like to add updated information.

After I posted this thread, I made an appointment with dealer and they found two bent rims. They fixed it (also added some deep nicks to my rims).

That of course did not fix anything. I don't really drive for extended periods of time at high speeds so the vibration doesn't really bother me that much for day to day driving. Going to work and back usually sit in traffic most of the time.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I took a 2 hour drive to Atlantic City. Speed varies throughout the trip and the closer you get to AC, the faster the flow of traffic goes (over 80mph). Vibration is still there. I feel it more around 60mph but the faster I go the less I feel it but I think I know why.

I'm no scientist but I'm about to throw out some terms that I don't know make sense at all but please follow along:

I believe that the propeller shaft is 100% to blame. Depending on the speed I feel like harmonic frequency or spinning of drive shaft might make the vibration more or less evident. At high speeds around 80mph or more the vibration is there but I feel it more refined possibly because drive shaft is moving even faster. Tighter vibrations if you will.

2 hour drive to AC and I feel vibrations. Some times it's obvious but acceptable but most of the time it was annoying. After driving my hand was still vibrating. Think about holding something that is vibrating like an electric tooth brush for hours and then you turn it off, your hand will sort of feel like it's still vibrating after a long time.

The 2 hour drive back was the same story but oddly enough, the last 2 miles before I took my exit on the GSP it felt smooth. I noticed right away and looked down and was doing 70mph. It felt so strange. Not even trying to be funny but it was sooo smooth I couldn't believe it.

The dealer is going to be receiving the 2 drivers door Bowers And Wilkins speakers (mid and tweeter) that the MFG installed incorrectly in factory. Once they get it in I will get a call to replace the speakers and will also have them look at vibration again.

I leased this car with 15k miles a year for the sole reason that during the summer I take lots of road trips, many beach trips, AC trips, W. DC - Last year I went to Miami beach and back to Jersey. I do not want to deal with this issue as it's annoying. I find myself using pilot assist often just so I can take my hands off the steering wheel.

I would also add that I pay extra close attention when I notice the road is freshly paved and of course even then the vibration is more obvious.

I wonder how many times I can take my car to the dealership for the same problem without them fixing it and I can lemon this car. I am not looking forward to having this car for the next 3 years with the vibration and unfortunately I would probably not get A Volvo because this problem seems too often among different models.
      2019 S60 - R-Design - T6 - Polestar - B&W - Black Stone

Do I understand correctly that the propeller shaft is only present at AWD’s?
      Then in that case it is not (only) the propeller shaft as lots of complaints deal with FWD as well.

Nice! Does the 'cause' apply to all models? I am not familiar with the SPA thing.

And I wonder what VOLVO would do to fix the problem on all the cars that were produced prior to that 'clean point'. Buy back??

Quote Originally Posted by jaep View Post
      Nice! Does the 'cause' apply to all models? I am not familiar with the SPA thing.

And I wonder what VOLVO would do to fix the problem on all the cars that were produced prior to that 'clean point'. Buy back??
      SPA means 'Scalable Product Architecture', the platform that underpins most of Volvo's newer cars - XC90, S/V90, XC60, S/V60, etc.

Unlikely cars would be bought back. A likelier outcome would be a technical journal which shows techs how to diagnose and repair when someone comes in with the issue. If the problem was very extensive and safety related then maybe a recall.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Do I understand correctly that the propeller shaft is only present at AWD’s?
      Then in that case it is not (only) the propeller shaft as lots of complaints deal with FWD as well.
      The propeller shaft is the driveshaft to the rear diff, so yes only present on AWD that is not the hybrid "twin-engine" ERAD unit type.

There seem to be multiple possible causes: Bent/unbalanced rims, PNCS tire foam issue, and the propeller shaft, so perhaps not each car has the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
      The propeller shaft is the driveshaft to the rear diff, so yes only present on AWD that is not the hybrid "twin-engine" ERAD unit type.

There seem to be multiple possible causes: Bent/unbalanced rims, PNCS tire foam issue, and the propeller shaft, so perhaps not each car has the same issue.
      AWD issue is easy to diagnose. Decouple it, drive it. No vibration? - that's the driveshaft.
      It's interesting though that for mine they did just that, and yet whatever they replaced (final drive) didn't fix it.

Lemon Law Buyback thread

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast