Standard C-30 vs C-30 R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Standard C-30 vs C-30 R

I have been looking on and off on buying a used C-30. I remember in the past when I had my 2011 XC-90 in for repair they used to give me a C-30 as a loaner. I remember how firm the R model rode. Does the standard C-30 have a softer riding suspension. Also what are the other differences in HP, standard features etc. thanks
      I found a 2012 model for sale here locally and have got the bug again.
      Currently Volvo-less
      2004 V70 - 2.5 T Just totaled on 27 Sep 15
      2007 XC90 - gone
      2010 XC-90- gone
      1989 240 DL - gone but not forgotten

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The r design package was just a trim level on the c30. There was a sport suspension option but as far as I can recall it was only a lowering not a stiffness change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2008 Ice White C30 Auto Trans - Megan Racing Springs and Rear Camber Arms, Elevate Intake Pipe, P1 Intake System, Turbo Back Exhaust, CBV, TCV, Upper Manifold, Sway Bar, FMIC, Stage 2 Tune, Hard Pipe Kit, VDO Boost Gauge in Custom A-Pillar Pod, Koni Sport Yellow Struts, Eurosport Tuning V2 Strut Tower Brace

Iím not sure if it was a separate option, for me all the R-Designs Iíve driven (and the one I own) all have the stiffer suspension and more direct steering. Was not just trim.
      2009 C30 T5 RD - Black/Black AW55

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The steering boxes were also different. Forgot that one. The r design might have included the sport suspension that was an option for the base/1.0 cars. I just donít recall for certain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2008 Ice White C30 Auto Trans - Megan Racing Springs and Rear Camber Arms, Elevate Intake Pipe, P1 Intake System, Turbo Back Exhaust, CBV, TCV, Upper Manifold, Sway Bar, FMIC, Stage 2 Tune, Hard Pipe Kit, VDO Boost Gauge in Custom A-Pillar Pod, Koni Sport Yellow Struts, Eurosport Tuning V2 Strut Tower Brace

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by wouterlucas View Post
      Iím not sure if it was a separate option, for me all the R-Designs Iíve driven (and the one I own) all have the stiffer suspension and more direct steering. Was not just trim.
      The stiffer suspension is just a result of the slightly lower ride height. There's something like 12 different shock/strut factory options for P1 Volvos. All of which are mostly the same and would only be distinguishable to some after back to back test drives.

But the steering rack was improved for the R-design facelifts (2011+ in the US).

At the end of the day, suspensions can be swapped out for any upgrades and the 9 year old suspension on a 2012 is likely due for replacement soon anyhow.
      I would opt for whichever C30 the OP finds most appealing, as the steering rack improvement is noticeable but not a deal breaker. The rest is just trim and badges, which can all be upgraded to later.

And today I learned! Thanks for the details. What makes the slightly lower ride height on the RDís? Just the spring differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2009 C30 T5 RD - Black/Black AW55

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by wouterlucas View Post
      And today I learned! Thanks for the details. What makes the slightly lower ride height on the RDís? Just the spring differences?
      Yep, they have slightly shorter springs and the shocks/struts that are paired with them are set to properly dampen the lower ride height.
      But putting the R-design springs on any of Volvo's other shocks/strut P1 options would feel close to the same.

R-design springs shouldn't be confused with Volvo's lowering springs, which drop the car an additional 5mm lower than the R-design.

My C30 is an R-design and the suspension is definitely lower than standard. Compared to standard cars I have driven I would say that it handles a bit better. The ride quality is fantastic so I wouldn't worry about that.
      As mentioned above, there are no differences in performance, just aesthetics, although I think many R-designs were higher specced as far as options/accessories go.

Also remember that even the newest C30 is now about 7 years old, and the suspension in these cars doesn't really last long, so whatever model you buy, there is always the option of getting the suspension changed with an upgraded option eg. from Bilstein.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements