New tires for 1966 Volvo P1800S - recommendations
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New tires for 1966 Volvo P1800S - recommendations

I am looking for new tires.
      My current tire is a Firestone F-560 165 R15 86S

My rims are stamped 12/65 if that matters.

I am looking for a bit of better handling and riding. I don't mind paying a premium for the tires. I don't want it to look too different though.

What would you use? I have looked at some of the other threads - but they are a little older.

Do I need to measure my rim somehow? If so, how? If it is inside the rim where the tire sits - looks like 4.5".
      Last edited by Breaker; 12-28-2019 at 11:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
      I am looking for new tires.
      My current tire is a Firestone F-560 165 R15 86S

My rims are stamped 12/65 if that matters.

I am looking for a bit of better handling and riding. I don't mind paying a premium for the tires. I don't want it to look too different though.

What would you use? I have looked at some of the other threads - but they are a little older.

Do I need to measure my rim somehow? If so, how? If it is inside the rim where the tire sits - looks like 4.5".
      You have stock tire size and stock rims (4.5") on your car right now. 12/65 is the month/year rims were made.
      Any good mfg. in that size (165/15) will be fine. Choose the look and price you want. - It's not a track burner.

165 80 /15 is not so common. In fact, pretty uncommon these days. You will likely have to shop from an internet vendor as I think there are only 3 suppliers in that tire size. A Chinese company (which I think gets sold under different names), Vredestein and Pirelli. The Vredestein is slightly expensive and the Pirelli is border line nose bleed expensive. I think the Pirelli is marketed to vintage Porsche owners who want to keep their cars concurs and they tend to reside in a different $ zone than vintage Volvo owners. Both the Vredestein and Pirelli are categorized as summer tires so should not be driven when its cold outside. The Chinese tire is listed as an all-season tire.

If you are willing to change to a nudge wider rim, 185 70 was a very good match to the 165 80 for diameter. However, 185 70 / 15 is also now a pretty rare tire size. 185 65/15 is a pretty common tire size with a much larger selection and reasonable prices; but, the 65 profile will give you a smaller diameter tire that will materially alter gearing and speedo accuracy.

Try Tire Rack as a place to start your tire search.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thank you!
      I decided on the Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80R15.

FYI - The local tire store could get some off brands (Achilles & Nexon) and within a few days; so, there are others available.

Quote Originally Posted by Breaker View Post
      Thank you!
      I decided on the Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80R15.

FYI - The local tire store could get some off brands (Achilles & Nexon) and within a few days; so, there are others available.
      The Vredestein is probably a good choice. The Pirelli might be a more performance oriented tire; but,the Pirelli CN36s that came on my 1979 242 GT wore out really quickly and provided poor performance once the temperatures dropped (don't even think about snow or ice).

Based upon appearance, I am going to speculate that the 'Classic', 'Multi-Mile', 'Achilles' and 'Nexon' and whatever other off-brands are out there might all be the same tire, either rebranded from the same manufacturer or separate manufacturers who have copied somebody else's tire pattern.
      A 142 of course. What do you expect? I'm the 142 guy. / 1971 142 E 102 color

I put Vredestein sprint classic on my 65 1800 and they worked out just fine. They look nice and handle good.
      Jim S.

A number of VSCCA club members use Vredestein's for racing and they hold up fine on the track.
      1967 1800s and 1968 122s Station Wagon.

I'm looking to replace my tires this summer. I have a set of Kuhmo tires on there. I never wore out the tires, but they are definitely suffering from dry rot. The are totally worthless in the rain. It's not because they are bad... they are just way past their due date. Last summer when attending a local Euro Car day I talked to as many car owners about what tires they liked (many of the old British cars have similar narrow tires as our Volvos). I had a couple tell me they all had poor performance from any of the "modern" all season tires that are available in 165R15 from reputable brands such as Firestone. The lead complaint is that those newer style tires just aren't designed to work with our older suspension designs. Therefore they are over still and give a lousy ride without improving performance. Forget anything that is basically a mystery brand from China. Universally when "generic" Chinese tires are tested they perform very poorly. That really leaves only three options: The Vredestein Classic, Michelin XZX or Pirelli CA67. Everything I've read about the Vredestein is that they are a descent tire. They are a lot 220 tread life, but frankly most of us don't even drive our cars that much so the tires dry rot before we wear them out. The Michelin is on par or a hair better than the Vredestein. These tires along with the Pirellis have been redesigned to look and work like the original tires, but with better modern rubber. The Pirelli is the OEM tire and should provide the best handling of all the options, but they are NOT cheap. I'm saving my money and later this Spring I'll hopefully be able to pull the trigger and get those ordered. Longstone Tyre in the UK had good prices (including shipping to USA! see: www.longstonetyres.co.uk) and they have put one a nice video explain the options and why you would pick one tire over another. With either of these three you end up with a tire that will work well with our classic cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Road America View Post
      I put Vredestein sprint classic on my 65 1800 and they worked out just fine. They look nice and handle good.
      Jim S.
      It's what I have on my 62 and they are great tires. These aren't race cars, we don't need super sticky tires.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements