Dash Cam installed
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Dash Cam installed

Just finished my dash cam install tonight. Took a bit longer then I anticipated as my particular camera is slightly different design then my previous set up was so this one gave me some challenges.

Thanks to some of the members for tips posted in my previous thread. Figure I'll post some pictures of the install in case some other guys are going to tackle this on their own.

Info on camera. I went with the newly released ThinkWare U1000 4k front and 2k rear dash camera. Went with a larger 128GB Samsung Pro card for it as it works well in my other car. I did my research on this and in my old XC60 had BlackVue but their new camera fell a tad short in video quality compare to ThinkWare so opted to go with them.

Install was for the most part straight forward. For those who haven't done one before or afraid to tackle such project it might be a bit overwhelming, however its worth the investment should something does happen. There are several youtube vids I came across that do go a bit into detail on how to remove panel for running wires, getting access to the fuse box, and partial running of the wires to the back of the car. I did not come across any info on how to remove the wire grommet that goes between the liftgate hatch and the body so i will add some info on here on how i did it. My camera body was also a bit different so i modified InteliSafe housing to fit it as close to center line of the car as possible.

Will test it out this week and see how it will hold up and see how the footage looks in day time and night time.20191228_144151.jpg20191228_145204.jpg20191228_145809.jpg20191228_150949.jpg20191228_153106.jpg
      2019 XC60 R-Design - work in progress
      2015 XC60 R-Design - Totaled
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ended up notching a bit of the inner hatch structure so the wire wouldn't be pinched too much. Ran it the right side wire loom however the left side has less things running in it so it might be easier to run it on left side if the wire has enough slack.

20191228_154148.jpg20191228_161631.jpg20191229_210302.jpg20191229_210506.jpg20191229_221847.jpg
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

The cover where camera sits will need to be notched a bit to cover up the rest of the hole but from the driver point of view, you cant see the opening due to cover being removed. Camera is not in a field the view. Still have easy access to the SD card and the wires. I could have mounted to either side of the InteliSafe housing but it puts the camera too much off center. Made a small mounting bracket thats attached with double sided 3M tape so technically should hold the camera in place sturdy.
      20191229_221913.jpg20191229_221841.jpg20191228_140044.jpg

Appologies for pics not being angled right. For some reason it changes the orientation on forum as oppose to how its saved to my computer
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I would suggest uploading pictures to a hosting site and posting link. I had same issue before with pictures being angled wrong.

General question: I've done this on a Sedan but not an SUV. When doing on SUV, I presume you have to remove the Plastic Trim in order to feed the wiring through the Plastic Sheeting and under the weather stripping into the cabin.

Mind uploading some pictures of that process, if you have any?

Nice Install. Do you have a pic from the outside front of your car? I had the similar set up, but didn't want to touch the intellisafe so I went to get a blendmount even though they don't have for thinkware, made it so it can accommodate the dash cam. Only problem was that you can hear the vibration from the mount because of how heavy the dash cam is. I ended up sticking it to the driver's side windshield besides the intellisafe.

Quote Originally Posted by LVE2DRV View Post
      The cover where camera sits will need to be notched a bit to cover up the rest of the hole but from the driver point of view, you cant see the opening due to cover being removed. Camera is not in a field the view. Still have easy access to the SD card and the wires. I could have mounted to either side of the InteliSafe housing but it puts the camera too much off center. Made a small mounting bracket thats attached with double sided 3M tape so technically should hold the camera in place sturdy.
      20191229_221913.jpg20191229_221841.jpg20191228_140044.jpg

Appologies for pics not being angled right. For some reason it changes the orientation on forum as oppose to how its saved to my computer
      Looks great LVE2DRV!, Thanks for posting the pics and details.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
      Nice Install. Do you have a pic from the outside front of your car? I had the similar set up, but didn't want to touch the intellisafe so I went to get a blendmount even though they don't have for thinkware, made it so it can accommodate the dash cam. Only problem was that you can hear the vibration from the mount because of how heavy the dash cam is. I ended up sticking it to the driver's side windshield besides the intellisafe.
      I used adhesive strips included with my camera to stick onto the exterior plastic of the intellisafe. I think removing the plastic and routing it in there is truly unnecessary and actually won't provide the best images. OP mounted onto the Intellsafe unit, meaning the camera will be picking up a lot of glare from the glass itself. Better to mount camera onto the glass and not away from the glass. I did this initially myself, and the glare / reflection proved to be a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I would suggest uploading pictures to a hosting site and posting link. I had same issue before with pictures being angled wrong.

General question: I've done this on a Sedan but not an SUV. When doing on SUV, I presume you have to remove the Plastic Trim in order to feed the wiring through the Plastic Sheeting and under the weather stripping into the cabin.

Mind uploading some pictures of that process, if you have any?
      Got any suggestion on a free hosting site? What did you use?

Yes some areas have more plastic trims to come out then other areas. In some places i used a coat hanger you get from the dry cleaners opened it up and used it as a snake to pull wire through. Its free and works! In order for safer way to run the wire, you should run it on the bottom and not on the top where the air bag is(although I have done that in the previous XC60) on this car it was just easier to run it along the bottom passenger side.
      My wires run from where InteliSafe housing is ... tucked between the headliner and the windshield(very easy process there)... removed A-pillar and ran next to existing wires as shown in a picture... several plastic parts removed along the foot well and glove box to run the wire to fuse box and then continue along the carpet all the way to the back along the floor... passenger side rear trunk area was partially removed part of the seat was removed and ran up the C-pillar/hatch area to the wire loom on the passenger side... into rear hatch.

I have more pics just to forum only lets you upload 5 max per post and then shrinks them. If you suggest good place to host i'll upload more detail pics.
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
      I didnt want to spend the money on a blend mount as i already have it for my radar detector on my other car and although its nice i managed to just make my own bracket that did the same and for free. I will take a pic and post it later on.
      I am not sure what camera you have but none of my BlackVue or THinkWare cameras are heavy at all. In fact my Passport radar detector is way heavier than 2 cameras put together. I would suspect maybe its not tight or there is a play in the mount and the mirror stalk.
      As i mentioned the reason why i didnt glue it next to the InteliSafe housing is that the lens aims of center too much and i dont want to have any blind spots for the camera.
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      I used adhesive strips included with my camera to stick onto the exterior plastic of the intellisafe. I think removing the plastic and routing it in there is truly unnecessary and actually won't provide the best images. OP mounted onto the Intellsafe unit, meaning the camera will be picking up a lot of glare from the glass itself. Better to mount camera onto the glass and not away from the glass. I did this initially myself, and the glare / reflection proved to be a bit much.
      The camera actually doesnt pick up any glare and sits away from the windshield. My ThinkWare also has a CPL filter on it so it automatically eliminates glare and flashes. The reason why I routed my wires out of the way as much as possible is that although does take slightly more time, I prefer to have a clean look of an install than a spaghetti party in front of my face. Plus i still leave enough slack on the wire and hide it just in case i need to remove it to get access to InteliSafe. Again with each camera body you are limited to certain mounting positions. In the 2015 XC60 my camera was mounted next to the InteliSafe housing since it was much smaller design and wires were still ran and hidden same way. Guess just comes down to how much time you want to invest to yield a particular result. Guess my meticulous nature makes me do this and waste nap time.
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

The camera actually doesnt pick up any glare and sits away from the windshield. My ThinkWare also has a CPL filter on it so it automatically eliminates glare and flashes. The reason why I routed my wires out of the way as much as possible is that although does take slightly more time, I prefer to have a clean look of an install than a spaghetti party in front of my face. Plus i still leave enough slack on the wire and hide it just in case i need to remove it to get access to InteliSafe. Again with each camera body you are limited to certain mounting positions. In the 2015 XC60 my camera was mounted next to the InteliSafe housing since it was much smaller design and wires were still ran and hidden same way. Guess just comes down to how much time you want to invest to yield a particular result. Guess my meticulous nature makes me do this and waste nap time.
      I have my front window tinted 80% and rear 20%. I found when I had the rear camera on a suction cup mount (wasn't originally wanting to mount on tint), the camera suffered from lots of glare. Removed rear from suction cup after an accident, and mounted directly to rear window. Much better than before.

The CPL makes things worse of course with tint. The front is still on a suction cup, as I want to be able to pivot camera if needed. None the less, glass even without tint is subject to light glare, especially at night. The CPL can't fix shadowing and glare created on glass from reflections. It merely helps with the sun during daylight.

Got any suggestion on a free hosting site? What did you use?

Yes some areas have more plastic trims to come out then other areas. In some places i used a coat hanger you get from the dry cleaners opened it up and used it as a snake to pull wire through. Its free and works! In order for safer way to run the wire, you should run it on the bottom and not on the top where the air bag is(although I have done that in the previous XC60) on this car it was just easier to run it along the bottom passenger side.
      My wires run from where InteliSafe housing is ... tucked between the headliner and the windshield(very easy process there)... removed A-pillar and ran next to existing wires as shown in a picture... several plastic parts removed along the foot well and glove box to run the wire to fuse box and then continue along the carpet all the way to the back along the floor... passenger side rear trunk area was partially removed part of the seat was removed and ran up the C-pillar/hatch area to the wire loom on the passenger side... into rear hatch.

I have more pics just to forum only lets you upload 5 max per post and then shrinks them. If you suggest good place to host i'll upload more detail pics.

LVE2DRV, Here are few sites where you can upload the images and embed them here through link. Ofcourse, like anything you post in public, just blur out any personal info, I use these regularly

- https://imgbb.com/

-https://imgur.com/upload

-https://pasteboard.co/
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

20191230_201302_1579093007878.jpg20191230_201257_1579093046933.jpg20191229_221913_1579093097427.jpg
      Here is what the camera looks like from the outside of the car and also from driver stand point.
      I tried uploading them on one of the servers you suggested, but they weren't showing up properly in here either. Hope this somewhat helps.
      2016 VW GTI - modified
      2005 G35 -modified

Come on, people; rotate your pictures! Let's not be barbarians.

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements