SPA XC90 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit DIY - SUCCESS
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SPA XC90 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit DIY - SUCCESS

We screwed up and never ordered the heating steering wheel option when we did OSD (never dawned on us until I got an Audi that has one... what a difference). Anyways, I did a good bit of research on how to retrofit our XC90 without paying ~$1,000 for the official Volvo accessory (Part Number: Kit057), and here's what I found out

---

For reference, the Volvo Accessory Kit includes:

• 32204779 - Steering Wheel (charcoal)
      • 32266026 - Steering wheel module
      • 31428189 - Software

---

My DIY Kit:

• Steering Wheel - I was able to find a used heated steering wheel on eBay from a totaled 2018 XC90 (rear impact / no airbag deployed) with ~10K miles for $150. Part Number: 31407817. Most salvage companies list the part description incorrectly, but it's really easy to tell if a steering wheel has the heater element by looking at the wire harnesses. Steering wheels without the heater element only have one wiring harness that plugs into the module at the 1 o'clock position (for the steering wheel controls). The heated steering wheels have a second wiring harness at the 6 o'clock position. These steering wheels are also universal with other SPA vehicles (e.g. S90, V90, XC60, etc.), so search those models as well. You can type the part number into Volvo's parts website to see if it will fit your vehicle. I've included some reference codes below to help you decipher the descriptions
      • Module - I thought I could get away with using the module that was already in my car (Part Number: 31443883) as it has a connector for the heater element, but that is NOT the case. If the car came from the factory with a heated steering wheel, it would be programmed to use this module. However, the required retrofit software can only "communicate" to the module listed in the kit (Part Number: 32266026). This set me back $135
      • Software - Dealer had to program the software (Part Number: 31428189). Software $35 / Labor (1 hr) $ 115
      • Labor - I installed the module and steering wheel myself using these instructions. Really straight forward. I was concerned that you wouldn't be able to turn the steering wheel without the car on, but I had no problem

Total Price: $435

I ended up spending a little more than originally planned, but it's worth it.

---

Volvo Steering Wheel Description Codes:

• RT02 - Heated Steering Wheel
      • FL01 - Charcoal base color interior
      • RU02 - Steering wheel, 3 spoke, leather with unideco inlays

Last edited by asaldworth; 12-31-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added a couple pictures
      Hers: 2018 XC90 T6 AWD - Momentum - White/Black [OSD May-2018]
      Mine: 2018 Audi A6 2.0T Quattro - Premium Plus - White/Brown
      Also Mine: 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 - Soft Top - White/Black

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I guess I’ll have to keep an eye out for used steering wheels
      (Hers) Current Ride - 2017 XC60 T6 AWD
      ( His ) Current Ride - 2016 XC90 T6 AWD

(Hers) Past Rides - 93 244, 05 XC90, 15.5 XC60
      ( His ) Past Rides - 91 745, 05 S40 T5 FWD

Thanks for sharing. To confirm, the only difference is that you sourced the heated steering wheel not from the dealer, correct?
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

@satrya Correct, and I did the labor myself

I decided to do a little write up to share my experience as I couldn't find any good information when I was researching... I originally thought I could use the existing Module (aka gear lever carrier) since it had the connection for the heater element, but as it turns out, it isn't compatible with the retrofit software. But, I did find out that any SPA steering wheel with the heater element will work... it doesn't have to be from an XC90. Just trying to save the next person some time and money

P.S. My original steering wheel is for sale in the Classifieds (HERE) if anyone wants to start a fun project (wrap it in alcantara or perforated leather)
      Last edited by asaldworth; 12-31-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asaldworth View Post
      @satrya Correct, and I did the labor myself

I decided to do a little write up to share my experience as I couldn't find any good information when I was researching... I originally thought I could use the existing Module (aka gear lever carrier) since it had the connection for the heater element, but as it turns out, it isn't compatible with the retrofit software. But, I did find out that any SPA steering wheel with the heater element will work... it doesn't have to be from an XC90. Just trying to save the next person some time and money

P.S. My original steering wheel is for sale in the Classifieds (HERE) if anyone wants to start a fun project (wrap it in alcantara or perforated leather)
      Aside from having to remove the airbag, was anything else in the SRS system impacted? For instance, I am looking to retrofit a heated steering wheel on my 2019 Suburban, but it requires replacement of the clock spring. Because there is not a specific accessory kit for the upgrade, the GM dealers will no sell the individual parts or make the installation. Additionally, unless sanctioned by GM, I do not want to make the upgrade in case it causes a problem that would prevent the airbag from deploying.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

I decided to do a little write up to share my experience as I couldn't find any good information when I was researching...
      ... Just trying to save the next person some time and money
      Indeed. By the way, there's also this thread for SPA xc90 to share mods etc.: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...016-XC90-today , you might want to post a link of this thread there
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

Wonderful post thank you!

My car is 2017 R which doesn’t come with heated steering wheel, I probably will do the same myself later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drzdbd View Post
      Wonderful post thank you!

My car is 2017 R which doesn’t come with heated steering wheel, I probably will do the same myself later.

There's an R-Design heated wheel with paddle shifters on ebay now for $445. Even with the extras, it's still much better than the $1320 my dealer quoted me.

Good build. I'd imagine most folks would rather just pay the $1000 at this point, but good to now it's not too crazy to do. If you had been able to find the module in a junk yard too that probably would have been less and got you under $400. I'll probably use this info to help folks visualize the value of us doing it for a grand. I hate getting used cars in without heated steering wheel, we order every car with it and when I get a custom order request without it I try very hard to talk them into it. Resale value alone, plus like you, once you have it, it's so very nice.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

This is great, Thanks!

Could you tell from your experience whether an R-design heated steering wheel with paddle shifters could be fitted to an inscription or Momentum? I suspect that it could be done.

You can definitely do it, I'm just not sure if anyone's figured out how to get the paddles to work on a vehicle that wasn't originally delivered with them.

If you look at the picture I posted above, the steering wheels that have paddles have additional wires that go into the green connector at the 1:00 position. So the hardware is there, it just all comes down to the software.
      Last edited by asaldworth; 01-13-2020 at 12:30 PM.

I’m tempted to do this but all the Volvo wheel part numbers I’ve found say “except for T8”

Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

Hmm I wonder if its same parts for s60 2017 with no heated wheel .
      Last edited by Pauls90; 01-13-2020 at 12:19 PM.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by partridge View Post
      I’m tempted to do this but all the Volvo wheel part numbers I’ve found say “except for T8”

I have no idea why the 'Twin Engine' vehicles are excluded. Anyone know why this is?
      Last edited by asaldworth; 01-13-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls90 View Post
      Hmm I wonder if its same parts for s60 2017 with no heated wheel .
      The steering wheel module would be different (the one listed above has the rear windshield wiper settings at the end of the stalk, that aren't relevant to the S60/S90). See THIS link for the parts you would need. Note that the steering wheels are all interchangeable, but the module and software are different.

Thanks so much for sharing! I too didn't value a heated steering wheel from OSD but with our T8, avoiding turning on the main heater means more electric mileage. This is on my to-do list - if the T8 difference is ever sorted out!
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

You can definitely do it, I'm just not sure if anyone's figured out how to get the paddles to work on a vehicle that wasn't originally delivered with them.

If you look at the picture I posted above, the steering wheels that have paddles have additional wires that go into the green connector at the 1:00 position. So the hardware is there, it just all comes down to the software.
      While its not directly relevant, I added paddle shifters to my 2001 BMW 740i. In that case it involved adding the paddles and swapping the clock-spring to get two additional contacts (they were originally intended for heated steering wheel in that replacement clock-spring). The rest was just adding wires from the clocks-spring down to the shifter - which was effectively a simple switch. The paddles just mimicked the contacts made by the shifter. So if the additional contacts on the steering wheel are then than it might be possible without too much difficulty. As was noted, the only question would be if the software would get in the way but using the principle of the paddles mimicking the make/break of the switch just as the shifter does then it might be seamless.

I'm don't have to worry - my V90 R already has paddles which I enjoy..
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

I did the swap..

Does anybody know, whether steering wheel replacement, requires wheel allignment afterwards?
      Can the steering wheel, be installed off-center?
      I ve been told that it can only be installed in one certain position.
      I replaced mine and the steering wheel feels, its not centered when the car drives straight..
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

No alignment is necessary. The connection between the steering wheel and the spindle is a hexagon (see photo below). It is possible to install the steering wheel off center, but you'd be 60 degrees off center.

No alignment is necessary. The connection between the steering wheel and the spindle is a hexagon (see photo below). It is possible to install the steering wheel off center, but you'd be 60 degrees off center.

Are you sure about it?
      Seems logical but is it the same for the sports steering wheel?
      60 degrees is a lot, i feel my steering looks at 12:30 instead of 12:00..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      Are you sure about it?
      Seems logical but is it the same for the sports steering wheel?
      60 degrees is a lot, i feel my steering looks at 12:30 instead of 12:00..

To fit the shaft into the hex hole there has to be some clearance (or you'll have to hammer stuff in). Would that clearance account for the non-perfect alignment?
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      To fit the shaft into the hex hole there has to be some clearance (or you'll have to hammer stuff in). Would that clearance account for the non-perfect alignment?
      i really dont know, you mean before tightening the screw?

XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

i really dont know, you mean before tightening the screw?

What does the mating shaft look like, round or hex? Do you happen to have a picture of the orientation of the tightening screw?

What does the mating shaft look like, round or hex? Do you happen to have a picture of the orientation of the tightening screw?
      Its the same as the one pictured above but the Sports Steering Variant.
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

asaldworth your steering wheel replacement was the standard steering wheel with heated elements?
      I changed from standard to sports steering, and according to the dealer service, maybe the ''centers'' of the sports steering where not identical to mm in comparison to the standard steering wheel.
      We did a re-fitting today, and the problem seems to be corrected, i am not sure yet, as i havent made a long test drive in open straight road.
      Seems that although the fitting point is a hexagon, there are some milimeters of ''air'' to give you a small play when re-fitting the steering wheel.
      Another option, if i want it 100% accurate would be a wheel-alignment.
      Whats your thought on this?
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

Seems that although the fitting point is a hexagon, there are some milimeters of ''air'' to give you a small play when re-fitting the steering wheel.
      This "air" is the radial clearance between the female hex hole and the male (hex or round) shaft. (Otherwise you would have a "press fit" and would need to hammer the steering wheel onto the car shaft.) Since there are no pictures shared my best guess is that there is rotational slop (ie no guaranteed rotational alignment) between a reference position on the female hole (steering wheel) and the male shaft of the car. Did you basically eyeball the clocking of the new steering wheel to the Volvo shaft? Because if you did then this is the source of the steering wheel "misalignment". Even the tightening process can add more rotational misalignment depending on the mechanical design of the mating parts. (Hopefully these terms make sense? I do engineer-speak . . .)
      Last edited by likeXC90; 01-23-2020 at 08:25 AM.

This "air" is the radial clearance between the female hex hole and the male (hex or round) shaft. Since there are no pictures shared my best guess is that there is rotational slop (ie no guaranteed rotational alignment) between a reference position on the female hole (steering wheel) and the male shaft. Did you basically eyeball the clocking of the new steering wheel to the Volvo shaft? Because if you did then this is the source of the steering wheel "misalignment". (Hopefully these terms make sense? I do engineer-speak . . .)
      I did not perform the work myself, just watched the Volvo Techs do it the second time..
      Since you cannot see if the wheels are perfectly alligned during the steering wheel replacement procedure, you are not able to identify the absolute center.
      Last edited by Dilinger; 01-23-2020 at 08:34 AM.
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

I did not perform the wok myself, just watched the Volvo Techs do it the second time..
      Since you cannot see if the wheels are perfectly alligned during the steering wheel replacement procedure, you are not able to identify the absolute center.
      Correct. While the old steering wheel was aligned perfectly 12 o'clock to the perfectly straight-ahead wheels, swapping out and tightening down a new steering wheel will require that new steering wheel to be installed exactly in the same position as the old steering wheel (ie 12 o'clock) assuming the wheels are also pointing straight-ahead. If none of these match each other then the alignment will be off.

Correct. While the old steering wheel was aligned perfectly 12 o'clock to the perfectly straight-ahead wheels, swapping out and tightening down a new steering wheel will require that new steering wheel to be installed exactly in the same position as the old steering wheel (ie 12 o'clock) assuming the wheels are also pointing straight-ahead. If none of these match each other then the alignment will be off.
      As said before by another member the installation point of the wheel is a hexagon. So if you put it wrongly it will be 60 degrees off...
      The key here is microadjustment, which seems impossible, as you are not able to know the exact degree of the previous steering wheel.
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

The steering wheel pictured is the standard/original one that came with my car (non-heated)... I just happened to have a better picture of that from the classified post I made [still available if anyone wants it!!!]

The replacement (heated) steering wheel has a different leather pattern, but had the same internals. I do not recall there being that much of an air gap / play when putting it on the hex shaft... I didn't need a hammer, but it was pretty snug. I made sure that the car was dead straight when I started the process and when I tightened the bolt, everything remained straight. I do not see Volvo having different shafts... I'm pretty sure they're leveraged across nearly all SPA vehicles, and definitely those of the same model (e.g. XC90).

The steering wheel pictured is the standard/original one that came with my car (non-heated)... I just happened to have a better picture of that from the classified post I made [still available if anyone wants it!!!]

The replacement (heated) steering wheel has a different leather pattern, but had the same internals. I do not recall there being that much of an air gap / play when putting it on the hex shaft... I didn't need a hammer, but it was pretty snug. I made sure that the car was dead straight when I started the process and when I tightened the bolt, everything remained straight. I do not see Volvo having different shafts... I'm pretty sure they're leveraged across nearly all SPA vehicles, and definitely those of the same model (e.g. XC90).
      Did you look for the wheels to be dead straight or the steering wheel?
      It was hard for me to do this, the second time, because the first installation of the replacement steering wheel, was not dead center initially for reference...
      That should be done during the first replacement attempt ...

XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

As said before by another member the installation point of the wheel is a hexagon. So if you put it wrongly it will be 60 degrees off...
      The key here is microadjustment, which seems impossible, as you are not able to know the exact degree of the previous steering wheel.
      There's probably I'm going to guess 5(?) degrees of rotational slop aka microadjustment because there must be shaft to hole clearance as there are no indications of hammering in the new steering wheel. I hope the attached picture helps . . . This doesn't address the wheel to steering wheel shaft alignment, just the steering wheel shaft to steering wheel alignment (whose error sounds small per asaldworth's most recent post above of fit being "pretty snug").
      Last edited by likeXC90; 01-23-2020 at 08:57 AM.

There's probably I'm going to guess 5(?) degrees of rotational slop aka microadjustment because there must be shaft to hole clearance as there are no indications of hammering in the new steering wheel. I hope the attached picture helps . . . This doesn't address the wheel to steering wheel shaft alignment, just the steering wheel shaft to steering wheel alignment (whose error sounds small per asaldworth's most recent post above of fit being "pretty snug").
      Very well described likeXC90.
      Thing is that there is no way to avoid this play in installation.
      So, the only way to perfect the steering wheel shaft to steering wheel alignment would be then to have a wheel alignment done?
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription

Very well described likeXC90.
      Thing is that there is no way to avoid this play in installation.
      So, the only way to perfect the steering wheel shaft to steering wheel alignment would be then to have a wheel alignment done?
      Yup, from the little I know

Careful cause you are entering into dangerous grounds here. Steering wheel change and wheel alignment I am wondering what type of calibration the Pilot Assist and the Lane Keeping system will require next?
      2018 XC60 R Design T5 - Ice White with PA2, BLISS, 360 Camera, Navigation Pro, Panorama, Active LED Lights, Fog Lights, 4 Zone Climate, Keyless Entry, VoC, 19'' Wheels

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast