Features you can't believe your Volvo doesn't have
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Features you can't believe your Volvo doesn't have

Background: Bought a 2016 S60 a year ago when it was ~two years old. "Loaded" so the salesman said, though of course salesmen will say anything. But it does have the Premier Package, BLIS, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, 19" wheels (big mistake), parking sensors, upgraded leather sport seats, paddle shifters, keyless entry and ignition, adaptive cruise control, enhanced forward collision warning and mitigation, lane-keeping assist, etc etc.

SO naturally I thought that basic features just about any car has would be included. I should have checked! For:

1. Spare tire. It absolutely blows my mind that Volvo sells a $44K car without a spare tire or runflats. What on earth were they thinking? No one travels out of town? What are you supposed to do on a lonely highway far from home?? I can't even get runflats without replacing the wheels as well as the tires because the ride is bone-jarring enough with regular tires on the 19s.

2. No rear-view camera. The last car I had without a rear-view camera was ten years ago. I honestly thought they were required by regulation. Ugh. Given my long, curving driveway I could really use this.

3. No daytime running lights. Same here--I thought these were required by law. Mind you, of course, Volvo does have DRLs on this car, but they only work with the headlights on! In Canada the DRLs are switched on full-time but my dealer says he can't do this for me here in the USA. So I use my parking lights, but--get this! No warning when you have left your lights on. Can this be true??

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

4. Adjustable front head restraints please? I certainly don't need power adjustments like Mercedes and BMW have, but some adjustment would be nice. I like the restraint to be against the back of my head for comfort and safety.

5. No automatic fuel port release. The button is from the 1970s! The fuel port should release with the door locks. Additionally: my (stock) fuel cap doesn't fit in the little rack in the port door. Really?

6. The car is Internet/Satellite connected but it can't automatically update the clock for daylight savings? Yeah that's nitpicky but I don't get it. Should be automatic. However it's worth mentioning that I really do like "Volvo On Call" esp the remote start and remote locking features, but I wish you could close windows/sunroof that way too. Mercedes has this feature. And I wish it didn't cost an extra $200/yr.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

1. Spare tire. It absolutely blows my mind that Volvo sells a $44K car without a spare tire or runflats. What on earth were they thinking?
      Forgot to mention: I did ask Volvo Customer Service for advice on this one. Their response:

"VOLVO CAR USA PROUDLY ANNOUNCES 'TOW FOR LIFE' -- ASK A TEAM MEMBER FOR MORE INFORMATION!"
      "Vehicle tows that are initiated through these channels will have their tow to a local Volvo retailer covered under the program."

Crazy that my 06 S60 has a Spare, Rear view cam and DRL's. I'd highly recommend throwing in an aftermarket cam, I'm sure alpine makes plenty of compatable units for the S60.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

What’s so hard about leaving the headlights on and in auto? This way you are more visible while driving, and theY power off when the car does.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      What’s so hard about leaving the headlights on and in auto? This way you are more visible while driving, and theY power off when the car does.
      That's supposed to be the purpose of DRLs, and I don't want the headlights (all lights) on all the time, because I have the "Low Battery" warning every day of the year (dealer says "it's normal") and I'm trying to charge the battery!

But thanks for reminding me:

7. This car has halogen headlights like it's the 1980s! My Acura from 20 years ago had Xenons, and they were standard equipment! The 'upscale' market has largely moved on to LEDs and this Volvo doesn't even have Xenons.

To be fair, the 16 S60 has the option of HID projectors. It's an expensive option but most merc's and bmw's in that class are the same as far as pricing. Led's are ok but I'd hold out till laser becomes more standard.
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
      That's supposed to be the purpose of DRLs, and I don't want the headlights (all lights) on all the time, because I have the "Low Battery" warning every day of the year (dealer says "it's normal") and I'm trying to charge the battery!

But thanks for reminding me:

7. This car has halogen headlights like it's the 1980s! My Acura from 20 years ago had Xenons, and they were standard equipment! The 'upscale' market has largely moved on to LEDs and this Volvo doesn't even have Xenons.
      Hate halogens, but until the past couple of model years, the 3-Series and the C-Class both also came with Halogens standard. The issue with Volvo is that for the longest time, they had Xenons only in the most expensive packages whereas on a Bimmer or a Benz you could get it without committing to an expensive option package.
      2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design AWD (Fusion Red Metallic) w. Advanced Package, Bowers and Wilkins, Heated Rear Seats and Steering Wheel, Polestar, Exterior Styling Kit, Sport Chassis, and 19" 5-Spoke Matte Black Alloy Wheels

2018 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 4MATIC AMG Line

Past: 2017 Volvo S90 T6 Momentum AWD, 2015.5 Volvo S60 T5 AWD Platinum, 2015 S60 T5 FWD Platinum

The scissors jack that comes with these Volvos, and the single-lift-point per side is just unsafe. For changing a tire, you should only have to lift 1/4 the weight, not 1/2.
      I have had a Volvo scissors jack "pop out" under load...it would have ripped my arm off had I not been offset from it. For a company steeped in safety, the jacking system design is a real blemish.

This must be your first Volvo as things like non-adjustable headrests and fuel door releases have been Volvo things for many years, probably for some safety reason that maybe someone will point out.

I don't understand the DRL concern - just leave your headlights on. If you're getting a low battery CEL then get the battery replaced.

I am a little surprised a car optioned like this doesn't have a rear camera - perhaps it's been turned off - accessible through the Sensus menu.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Having headlights on while the car is running isn't killing your battery.

Background: Bought a 2016 S60 a year ago when it was ~two years old. "Loaded" so the salesman said, though of course salesmen will say anything. But it does have the Premier Package, BLIS, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, 19" wheels (big mistake), parking sensors, upgraded leather sport seats, paddle shifters, keyless entry and ignition, adaptive cruise control, enhanced forward collision warning and mitigation, lane-keeping assist, etc etc.

SO naturally I thought that basic features just about any car has would be included. I should have checked! For:

1. Spare tire. It absolutely blows my mind that Volvo sells a $44K car without a spare tire or runflats. What on earth were they thinking? No one travels out of town? What are you supposed to do on a lonely highway far from home?? I can't even get runflats without replacing the wheels as well as the tires because the ride is bone-jarring enough with regular tires on the 19s.

2. No rear-view camera. The last car I had without a rear-view camera was ten years ago. I honestly thought they were required by regulation. Ugh. Given my long, curving driveway I could really use this.

3. No daytime running lights. Same here--I thought these were required by law. Mind you, of course, Volvo does have DRLs on this car, but they only work with the headlights on! In Canada the DRLs are switched on full-time but my dealer says he can't do this for me here in the USA. So I use my parking lights, but--get this! No warning when you have left your lights on. Can this be true??
      It's odd that you'd have paddle shifters (a rarity in Volvos) but no back-up camera in a 2016 model. I think you'd get all your missing items if you'd buy a new 2020 Volvo -- which it sounds like you should do.

But on the topic of what's missing in 2020 Volvos: (1) engine-temperature gauge in instrument panel; (2) ability to disable car's locking automatically when car starts to move; (3) option to have an infrared night-vision camera; (4) electrochromic "smart" glass in the panoramic roof, instead of a silly flimsy nylon-like translucent cloth covering; (5) buttons for climate controls; (6) Google OS computer screen replacing Sensus (yes, it's coming for 2021, but it can't come soon enough). Regarding (3), most luxury automakers now offer an infrared camera to pick up people and animals more easily at night, and it's mind-boggling that a "safety-conscious" automaker like Volvo doesn't offer this. Regarding (4), it's already in the Volvo system, as Polestar 2 apparently has this -- glass that dims without a covering needed (like the passenger windows on a Dreamliner jet).

2015.5 XC70 T6. If I have to change a flat tire on the roadside, I'm immediately hexed (pun intended). The cosmetic plastic hex nut caps have to be removed to get to the hex bolts. There is no tool in the spare tire kit to grip and remove the caps. How thoughtless from a user design standpoint! I had to buy a 24mm socket wrench tip (thin walled, 12-point) that will extract the plastic caps.

Quote Originally Posted by pbierre View Post
      2015.5 XC70 T6. If I have to change a flat tire on the roadside, I'm immediately hexed (pun intended). The cosmetic plastic hex nut caps have to be removed to get to the hex bolts. There is no tool in the spare tire kit to grip and remove the caps. How thoughtless from a user design standpoint! I had to buy a 24mm socket wrench tip (thin walled, 12-point) that will extract the plastic caps.
      Both of my P3 cars came with the little cap removal "tweezers" - one of them had the tool wrapped around the lug wrench and the other one there is an indented area in the styrofoam change kit I think where it resides. I broke one of them anyway and bought a couple more from Amazon for like $2.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT

Almost forgot!

To add a ton of creature comforts to your Volvo, check out VolvoTech's CFE series. It's a must have for any Volvo owner! I have a CFE plus in mine but they make them for all series including P3 and I believe some spa platforms.

https://www.v-division.com
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

#3 = It does have auto setting for lights, which will turn on the lights if conditions require.

BLUF Luxuary cars don't mean they start out with everything available with a lower end car, generally it means the same options are executed to a better standard. Granted the older gen S60 was getting a little long in tooth, but thats why no one was paying MSRP for them... Huge rebates! I put the one solution for you in bold... the rest is mostly just banter.

A few points... you did get the fix a flat garbage for punctures and a compressor, you could buy a spare kit from Volvo, and Volvo did hear the concern and other than the T8 cars, all new Volvos do have a spare... we'll see what the solution is as we go to more mild hybrids....

They are now. Most cars you can get this added as it's already wired, so you just need the hardware and software upgrade and it's maybe a grand or so. For every forum post about not having something standard there are probably 5 about wishing more things were options to keep the cost down.

As others said, yes there are. You just don't like how they work.

4. Adjustable front head restraints please? I certainly don't need power adjustments like Mercedes and BMW have, but some adjustment would be nice. I like the restraint to be against the back of my head for comfort and safety.
      It's for safety... Volvo does lots of things because they find that the industry standards aren't safe enough. They can reduce whiplash by not having the headrests adjustable, so they make safety the priority. Generally you can adjust the backrest just right to make it not really matter.

5. No automatic fuel port release. The button is from the 1970s! The fuel port should release with the door locks. Additionally: my (stock) fuel cap doesn't fit in the little rack in the port door. Really?
      That's an out dated and not removed feature. We also got rid of fuel caps entirely.

6. The car is Internet/Satellite connected but it can't automatically update the clock for daylight savings? Yeah that's nitpicky but I don't get it. Should be automatic. However it's worth mentioning that I really do like "Volvo On Call" esp the remote start and remote locking features, but I wish you could close windows/sunroof that way too. Mercedes has this feature. And I wish it didn't cost an extra $200/yr.
      There is a DLS setting. My Car --> Settings --> System Options --> Time Setting --> set to "Auto"

As others said, it was an option.

There is no tool in the spare tire kit to grip and remove the caps.
      Yes there is.. but it may have been lost even prior to delivery.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      BLUF Luxuary cars don't mean they start out with everything available with a lower end car, generally it means the same options are executed to a better standard. Granted the older gen S60 was getting a little long in tooth, but thats why no one was paying MSRP for them... Huge rebates! I put the one solution for you in bold... the rest is mostly just banter.
      Other than item #1 (spare tire) which I thought was a dick move on Volvo's part to make me purchase a $400 spare tire kit, and instead gave me some crap inflator, all other complaints are without merit.

It's like me bitching my car doesn't have Bending Lights, Park Assist Pilot, Adaptive Cruise Control, etc. They were options, and I didn't buy a car with them installed. So the real gripe is they don't come standard, but then people would moan there's no cheaper base models.

A real Grip:

Volvo makes you spend $500 to either key a Key Fob to enable the remote start already installed in the car or to Subscribed to Volvo On Call. Now that's truly an irritant that I've never gotten over. I'm pretty sure this decision is unique to Volvo. Remote start is standard on most upper end vehicles these days without an added "usage fee".

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      Other than item #1 (spare tire) which I thought was a dick move on Volvo's part to make me purchase a $400 spare tire kit, and instead gave me some crap inflator, all other complaints are without merit.

It's like me bitching my car doesn't have Bending Lights, Park Assist Pilot, Adaptive Cruise Control, etc. They were options, and I didn't buy a car with them installed. So the real gripe is they don't come standard, but then people would moan there's no cheaper base models.

A real Grip:

Volvo makes you spend $500 to either key a Key Fob to enable the remote start already installed in the car or to Subscribed to Volvo On Call. Now that's truly an irritant that I've never gotten over. I'm pretty sure this decision is unique to Volvo. Remote start is standard on most upper end vehicles these days without an added "usage fee".
      Actually nearly everyone has gone to the app feature... At least with the older gen Volvo's you still had a factory remote start key fob option. Now everyone pretty much uses an app.

And when something is standard it just means you're paying for it anyway... It doesn't mean the car would cost the same with that feature, it just means everyone gets to buy it. Same with any warranty conversation about how much should be standard... you're paying for whatever it is they give you.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Actually nearly everyone has gone to the app feature... At least with the older gen Volvo's you still had a factory remote start key fob option. Now everyone pretty much uses an app.

And when something is standard it just means you're paying for it anyway... It doesn't mean the car would cost the same with that feature, it just means everyone gets to buy it. Same with any warranty conversation about how much should be standard... you're paying for whatever it is they give you.
      Correct. But I paid for the ability to have remote start, but then have to pay in order to use it. It's not like an "optional" feature sans Sirius Radio, Traffic, etc. So I consider removing the Key Fob with remote start and price gauging for the Volvo on Call option to be ludicrous.

I mean $200/yr to use an app that basically allows you to remote start one's car? I doubt anyone really cars to have the app tell them if their fuel tank is low or any lights are on, since you can check these things from within the car. And locking the doors. Fine, but that's only mildly useful, because I can't imagine most people forget to do so.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ew-and-pricing

Correct. But I paid for the ability to have remote start, but then have to pay in order to use it. It's not like an "optional" feature sans Sirius Radio, Traffic, etc. So I consider removing the Key Fob with remote start and price gauging for the Volvo on Call option to be ludicrous.

I mean $200/yr to use an app that basically allows you to remote start one's car? I doubt anyone really cars to have the app tell them if their fuel tank is low or any lights are on, since you can check these things from within the car. And locking the doors. Fine, but that's only mildly useful, because I can't imagine most people forget to do so.

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answer...ew-and-pricing
      I don't disagree... I sell new Volvo's, I can't afford them myself =-D

It's the direction of the industry. FWIW they recently changed the pricing structure... it used to be pretty affordable to do a longer extension and I could tell customers they could add on the additional 4 years for about what they used to pay for the standard option and it was true. Most new car customers don't keep their cars 8 years... frankly most customers don't keep cars much more than 4 years... so if you buy it once for 4 years the only downside really is you can't pass it on to the next person. Now you can only do one year at a time, so I think a change might be coming, but IDK what. I know we have the android system soon and that will open up all sorts of possibilities. But at the end of the day, no manufacturer really cares about used car customers. They care about selling new cars, so the free 4 years now is pretty appealing, and much smarter than the old 6 mo trial they gave.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

I don't disagree... I sell new Volvo's, I can't afford them myself =-D

It's the direction of the industry. FWIW they recently changed the pricing structure... it used to be pretty affordable to do a longer extension and I could tell customers they could add on the additional 4 years for about what they used to pay for the standard option and it was true. Most new car customers don't keep their cars 8 years... frankly most customers don't keep cars much more than 4 years... so if you buy it once for 4 years the only downside really is you can't pass it on to the next person. Now you can only do one year at a time, so I think a change might be coming, but IDK what. I know we have the android system soon and that will open up all sorts of possibilities. But at the end of the day, no manufacturer really cares about used car customers. They care about selling new cars, so the free 4 years now is pretty appealing, and much smarter than the old 6 mo trial they gave.
      Ya I got that "wonderful 6 month trial". Gee thanks. I plan to keep my car long term, which is why I bought a low mileage CPO Demo (2000 miles) back when the program was 7 yrs / 100k. And living in an area with winter, it'd certainly be nice to have my car started before entering. Having an IT degree, I realize there's development and server costs, but come on, $200/yr? I could understand a one time subscription fee to line Volvo's pockets in lieu of the keyfob. But even then, that's pushing it.

The argument you're buying a near luxury / luxury car and everything is a la carte doesn't even hold water here. It's a feature that's been paid for and expected to function, without being strong armed to enjoy functionality.

It's pretty bad when Volvo's own sales staff can't afford to own their own brand!

FYI: I disagree on your used car argument. Used cars make dealers far more money than new. You sell a New Car one time. Getting the customer to return for service and repairs is how dealers make money!
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-16-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Forum Sponsor
      Ya I got that "wonderful 6 month trial". Gee thanks. I plan to keep my car long term, which is why I bought a low mileage CPO Demo (2000 miles) back when the program was 7 yrs / 100k. And living in an area with winter, it'd certainly be nice to have my car started before entering. Having an IT degree, I realize there's development and server costs, but come on, $200/yr? I could understand a one time subscription fee to line Volvo's pockets in lieu of the keyfob. But even then, that's pushing it.

The argument you're buying a near luxury / luxury car and everything is a la carte doesn't even hold water here. It's a feature that's been paid for and expected to function, without being strong armed to enjoy functionality.

It's pretty bad when Volvo's own sales staff can't afford to own their own brand!

FYI: I disagree on your used car argument. Used cars make dealers far more money than new. You sell a New Car one time. Getting the customer to return for service and repairs is how dealers make money!
      FWIW, we offer a slight discount of $20.00 by renewing your VOC Subscription with us directly - click here for $180.00 discounted rate: https://vip.steingold.com/product/Vo...-Extensions/99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SteingoldVolvoCars View Post
      FWIW, we offer a slight discount of $20.00 by renewing your VOC Subscription with us directly - click here for $180.00 discounted rate: https://vip.steingold.com/product/Vo...-Extensions/99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Appreciate the discount link, but I could never justify spending $180/yr on using the remote start feature. I've lived without it this long, because I feel it's totally unethical on how Volvo continues to handle remote start. It's one thing to include a key fob with remote start capabilities on a $30-70,000 vehicle , and another to offer "better coverage" through a subscription app. But to hamstring customers into paying an outrageous amount of money is mind boggling.
      Last edited by MyVolvoS60; 01-16-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Appreciate the discount link, but I could never justify spending $180/yr on using the remote start feature. I've lived without it this long, because I feel it's totally unethical on how Volvo continues to handle remote start. It's one thing to include a key fob with remote start capabilities on a $30-70,000 vehicle , and another to offer "better coverage" through a subscription app. But to hamstring customers into paying an outrageous amount of money is mind boggling.
      Why don't you just buy the remote start accessory from your dealer and have them install it? I think it was like $400-500 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      Why don't you just buy the remote start accessory from your dealer and have them install it? I think it was like $400-500 right?
      Need to ask dealer about that on next service visit to see. Forgot to ask about it on my 60K to get pricing / availability as winter was approaching. Still think it's sh*tty on Volvo's part to not provide a key fob for remote start.

Think getting a KeyFob + software is an option. I've heard it mentioned here but not sure anyone has done it????

My income certainly doesn't put me in Volvo's target demographic which would make it seem buying one would be a financially poor choice. I live on a farm, so I'm often buying/fixing equipment that takes alot of my extra money as the farm operation is more of a start up than an established (read as my farm isn't profitable yet!). Our owner is great though. He gives us a demo car, so I do drive a late model Volvo daily which greatly helps with customer/owner questions. Actually I'm in one of the older options right now, a 2016 V60, which is in part how I knew the DLS solution for the OP. I could get a SPA, but we don't have enough wagons, and that's my preference. However, we don't get to use On Call as a demo, and I'm not paying $200 and not even sure I could hope the service from car to car, though I probably could. I don't think most high end sales positions have an expectation that those selling can afford it. I don't think the people who can afford it want to pay profits so much higher to pay the paychecks for their sales person either. One thing I appreciate about commission, I earn pay relative to my value to the company. I can't control many factors, but I never feel like I'm getting paid for nothing, so I come on the forums on my own dime (and do find it valuable frankly)

That doesn't work on SPA/CMA
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

My income certainly doesn't put me in Volvo's target demographic which would make it seem buying one would be a financially poor choice. I live on a farm, so I'm often buying/fixing equipment that takes alot of my extra money as the farm operation is more of a start up than an established (read as my farm isn't profitable yet!). Our owner is great though. He gives us a demo car, so I do drive a late model Volvo daily which greatly helps with customer/owner questions. Actually I'm in one of the older options right now, a 2016 V60, which is in part how I knew the DLS solution for the OP. I could get a SPA, but we don't have enough wagons, and that's my preference. However, we don't get to use On Call as a demo, and I'm not paying $200 and not even sure I could hope the service from car to car, though I probably could. I don't think most high end sales positions have an expectation that those selling can afford it. I don't think the people who can afford it want to pay profits so much higher to pay the paychecks for their sales person either. One thing I appreciate about commission, I earn pay relative to my value to the company. I can't control many factors, but I never feel like I'm getting paid for nothing, so I come on the forums on my own dime (and do find it valuable frankly)

He doesn't own a SPA/CMA car. I thought there was a dealer installed accessory for remote start on the P3 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne T5 View Post
      He doesn't own a SPA/CMA car. I thought there was a dealer installed accessory for remote start on the P3 cars.
      Correct. P3 MY 15.5. Thought it was an accessory option (someone mentioned it here before as one), but never confirmed with dealer. I need to do so and find out pricing. Would be nice to have a warm car in cold weather. Car is garage parked, but when it's sitting outside somewhere, it sucks!

My income certainly doesn't put me in Volvo's target demographic which would make it seem buying one would be a financially poor choice. I live on a farm, so I'm often buying/fixing equipment that takes alot of my extra money as the farm operation is more of a start up than an established (read as my farm isn't profitable yet!).
      That's actually pretty cool. What'd you hoping to grow / raise? Farming today is a lot of very costly mechanization. Combines and tractors are like a quarter of a million dollars. Imagine there's a robust used market and few buy these new?

Our owner is great though. He gives us a demo car, so I do drive a late model Volvo daily which greatly helps with customer/owner questions. Actually I'm in one of the older options right now, a 2016 V60, which is in part how I knew the DLS solution for the OP. I could get a SPA, but we don't have enough wagons, and that's my preference. However, we don't get to use On Call as a demo, and I'm not paying $200 and not even sure I could hope the service from car to car, though I probably could.
      I'm in a MY 15.5 Demo / Loaner that I bought in early 2016 with 2000 miles as a 7yr / 100K CPO. So P3. No plans to upgrade to the new SPA. Buying new cars / slightly used on a regular basis isn't a prudent financial decision, unless you've got tons of disposable income. I'll let you know when I win the lottery! I plan on keeping my car for quite a while before it ever gets replaced.
      You answered my main concern about why sales staff aren't in a Volvo. It's more than affordability. It's familiarity. It'd be like you trying to sell a product without understanding the inner workings. Cars are far more than 4 wheels and a gear shift today. So much technology, for the good or bad, goes into every vehicle. Which is hell when something doesn't function (had my fair share of headaches in the beginning with a back up camera that wouldn't work).

A sales staff that knows the car is better able to cater towards clients asking questions.

I don't think most high end sales positions have an expectation that those selling can afford it. I don't think the people who can afford it want to pay profits so much higher to pay the paychecks for their sales person either. One thing I appreciate about commission, I earn pay relative to my value to the company. I can't control many factors, but I never feel like I'm getting paid for nothing, so I come on the forums on my own dime (and do find it valuable frankly)

I guess that depends on longevity and sales numbers, but I was more thinking low cost leases or Demo / Loaner options for sales staff. Though I'm sure some sales people do own a Volvo (new or old).

I love my car, but Volvo's are hell to pay for repairs and service visits. I think that's probably the most expensive part of owning one is the cost of parts, labor, repairs, general maintenance / service visits, etc. Hell, I've got the Prepaid Maintenance + Wear to 100K on top of my 7 yr / 100K CPO. Back in May, I had maybe 45k on my odometer. And in 7/8 months I'm now at almost 63k. I need to slow my driving habits down a bit. It went from very unlikely I'd ever hit 100K in 7 years to holy crap, I still have 29 months left and I only can do 37,000 miles before I burn through my remaining warranty and maintenance! Yikes.

Took a bunch of road trips and long drives in the past year. Managed to rack up 10,000 miles in 3 months. My dealer saw me back and about had a heart attack!

I was looking ahead at the 120 and then 150K and the prices are mind blowing. I'll probably have Volvo do the timing belt (since that's a major service) but might start going to an Indie after 100K. We'll see. Part's aren't cheap, and I intend to always use genuine parts, but labor rates are costly.

But there's a price to pay for safety. And Volvo is one brand that doesn't cut corners there.

But at the end of the day, no manufacturer really cares about used car customers. They care about selling new cars, so the free 4 years now is pretty appealing, and much smarter than the old 6 mo trial they gave.

To be fair, you're both right. Dealers and Manufacturers are two different entities. The manufacturer only profits from the initial sale of a new vehicle. Individual dealers profit from used car sales.

So, for what model years is it possible to get a remote start key fob programmed? I knew it was an option with the 6 button fob? But since my car (2016 S60 3.0 T6) only came with the 5 button fobs I assumed my only option was the VOC subscription. Are you saying it is possible to buy and program a 6 button fob for my car and use it to remote start?

Quote Originally Posted by budleach View Post
      So, for what model years is it possible to get a remote start key fob programmed? I knew it was an option with the 6 button fob? But since my car (2016 S60 3.0 T6) only came with the 5 button fobs I assumed my only option was the VOC subscription. Are you saying it is possible to buy and program a 6 button fob for my car and use it to remote start?
      Supposedly thats been the talk in the past here. But it'd require a software update and new key fob?

I'd like to run this by my dealer at my 70k to get input about validity and pricing if true.

I live on a corn and beans farm that is my wife's family, but I rent and manage about 60 acres of hay from neighbors. My equipment is all old, and while cheap by new standards, it's still probably close to the price of the Volvo V60 I'd like if I ever liquidated!

I really appreciate getting a demo, but recognize it as a good business model. I think it's smart for Volvo to push for the stand alone rooftops. Volvo being a lower volume car leads to sales folks making a living on their volume brand, and therefore caring more about that brand and not providing the dealer experience a Volvo customer deserves. You have to know the brand you sell, even if you're ignorant to the others (I mostly am!)

I try to give cars away within a few bucks of what I could buy them for myself... There isn't much imaginary money to pad these deals. FWIW I had the best year of my career last year income wise, but in our area there aren't too many folks I know about making too much more than me on a sales floor. I know that can be different in a bigger market environment, but then I probably couldn't live on a farm. For my wife's car, she insists on an XC60 so I'll be looking for the cheapest one possible with CPO and then doing the 5 year extension with $100 deductible. For me that's the sweet spot, but the deal I write myself won't be something to get too jealous of. We still have to buy the car, service it, pay for the base CPO and then add a $500 dealer markup (or I could wait till it's been here long enough to be advertised at a loss too). There is less money in the car sales industry than folks imagine I think. If you don't believe me, there are plenty of publicly traded auto groups, you can buy some stock and cash in!

So that unlimited mile warranty isn't sounding as bad as it did before eh? =-D
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast