Any 1953-56 PV 444 owners out there ??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Any 1953-56 PV 444 owners out there ??

Are there any folks on this forum that own 1953-56 PV444s ? I know they are very rare here in the US.

Thanks for any response !

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I own two 1956 444's. The first year of Volvo in the US was 1955, and it was a very small number of 444's imported by a band of west coast "foreign car" dealers. 1956 had a slightly higher number, and by 1957 Volvo was established as a popular import and was being brought in nationwide. I believe Volvo officially started importing in 1958.

The earlier models (pre-1955) are certainly present. For the most part these were diplomatic/expat imports, folks overseas having purchased the popular car and bringing it home with them when they returned. The earliest form of OSD!
      Last edited by tmtalpey; 01-02-2020 at 10:40 AM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Mine is a '57.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Hi- Would you be so kind as to send me a couple of photos from inside the trunk, showing how the taillights mount, and if possible a shot of the bulb socket, ? I have a '58 444, and a set of the taillights from the earlier 444 that mount above the rear fender. I want to mount the earlier taillights to use as brake / turn signals, to reduce the odds of getting hit from behind , since there are a lot of pickup trucks out there that can't see over their hoods to see the factory fender mounted lights ( not to mention the distracted and inattentive drivers ! )

Thanks for any help you can provide !

I went out this morning to see if I could get you any photos from my '57. It looks like the my taillights mount to the fender, not the body of the trunk. I was too dressed up for work to crawl under the car. My lights mount to a plinth ? that is attached to the rear fender. The bulb mounts in a largish rubber socket that fits into the plinth. See the first few parts listed here.

http://www.vp-autoparts.com/EU/main.aspx?page=article&artno=1001050803

You might also look here.

http://www.vp-autoparts.com/EU/main.aspx?page=article&artno=1001050801

I finally made it out to the barn to take photos, sorry about the long delay!

I have two '56 444's, one a very early example with Swedish gauges and some rather interesting adaptations for the US market in the lighting. Volvo Heritage tells me it was imported into Los Angeles California in April 1956. So, it perhaps represents the original configuration. However, the second one, only somewhat later, has basically the same equipment.

The first one is Wine Red (color 21), and is overpainted in Earl Scheib Yellow. The second one is Dove Grey, again overpainted in more of a gunmetal. I'll have to put them in separate posts due to attachment-per-post limit, but you can tell which by the colors.

Here's the outside view of the left rear signal lens:

Taillight-444-1.jpg

View of its guts, the lens is held on by those three nubs which you'll see in the next shot.
      Note the fiber inside the lens, that was there and I suspect someone put it inside on purpose, maybe to keep the bulb from dazzling through the thin paint tinting.

Taillight-444-1-guts.jpg

The inside view. The lamp socket is a dead-simple one-wire clip-in that goes through a hole in the fender. I'm pretty sure the whole assembly is a standard US lens, that they simply added to the car for the US regulations.

Taillight-444-1-inside.jpg

Overall view of the rear lighting, with the small fixed taillight. It's a standard British glass lens and housing. Later years have a larger, more pronounced look, and are painted. I hear these early style ones are/were called the "maiden's tit".

Taillight-444-1-rear.jpg
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

Here's the second example, for comparison

Lens assembly:

Taillight-444-2.jpg

Wiring and attachment:

Taillight-444-2-inside.jpg
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

One more curiosity. The Sweden models in this era had something called a "fixlight" on the B-pillar, it was the turn signal and had windows facing forward and back, and a blue marker color. (Really early models had a roof-mounted thing called the "cuckoo on the roof" which was soon outlawed even in Sweden). The fixlight wasn't allowed in the US and was removed, but my early car simply has a metal plate covering the hole! I found a magazine article reviewing the car in 1956, and with a magnifying glass the photo of that car shows the same thing. But my gray car doesn't have any hole.

I have a photo of the fixlight off my friend's 444K (Swedish model), I'll look for it.

Fixlight-444-1.jpg

[edit - found a fixlight photo, but not the blue one]

Fixlight-unknown.jpg

Last note, the front marker light is flat like the rear, but is clear and fits quite flush to the body. I've only seen this flat style on the 1956, later years have a taller almost cone-shaped lens.

Markerlight-444-1.jpg
      Last edited by tmtalpey; 04-11-2020 at 04:07 PM.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements