Advantages of 0W20 over 5W30? - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by gotart View Post
      Never fails to amaze me. Talk about oil and there are an infinite amount of threads. Everybody's got an opinion. I just follow the the old car talk guys. Follow the manual and use synthetic. I use Mobil 1 oil- 5W-30 in my S40 & C70. Just to add my 2 cents on this topic- I had a bmw 2002 for 34 years. Engine went to 275,000 miles and I changed the oil every 3k ( Rx at that time- not now of course) and used 5w-30 -changed to heavier in the summertime to 10w-40w.
      So I don't know if Castrol Syn has any advantage over Mobil 1 (original producer of syn oil) or it's marketing item with Castrol as per their agreements.
      2002 BMW for 34 years???? Think you have a major typo.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MyVolvoS60 View Post
      It's a BMW model made from the late 1960s to the mid-1970s.

THAT IS NOT A TYPO. It actually went on to 358,000 miles ( 2nd engine -bought a wreck and used the engine) and then I sold it for 6k in 2006 for a Miata. Wish I kept it as now they are worth more $$$. But I wanted a change.
      I bought my first Nikon that year and got married (in 1972). The only thing left is the wife
      I got pictures -if anybody wants to see them. Maybe I should post the parts car- it looks like out of a wrecking yard.

Last edited by gotart; 01-08-2020 at 09:25 PM.
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis

1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Oh. My. God. You had to bring up the 2002. What a car. One of the draft persons at work had one. This was in 1978, in LA, and I was 19. She was so cool and lived by the beach in Hermosa. Although she was a few years more experienced than me. We had so much fun in that car. No other BMW will ever equal that car. https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...2-buyers-guide. Thanks for the memories.
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Row57 View Post
      It's a BMW model made from the late 1960s to the mid-1970s.
      Ah well before my time. Thought he meant a Model Year 2002...

THAT IS NOT A TYPO. It actually went on to 358,000 miles ( 2nd engine -bought a wreck and used the engine) and then I sold it for 6k in 2006 for a Miata. Wish I kept it as now they are worth more $$$. But I wanted a change.
      I bought my first Nikon that year and got married (in 1972). The only thing left is the wife
      I got pictures -if anybody wants to see them. Maybe I should post the parts car- it looks like out of a wrecking yard.
      https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...-sale/bmw/2002

Sounds like whomever got your 2002 BMW got one hell of a deal...

Yeah- I know- they did get a deal- Just needed to separate myself from it. Not the original color. the original was the piss yellow/green.ugh.
      https://gotart.smugmug.com/72-2002/n-JTFs2V
      I know way off topic.
      Last edited by gotart; 01-09-2020 at 01:42 AM.
      2011 S40 T5 Polestar-Barents-Convector Wheels/BLIS/R Type Spoiler
      2011- C70-T5 - Polestar--Electric Silver-Loaded- except Blis

1987- Vanagon Westy Camper

Yeah- I know- they did get a deal- Just needed to separate myself from it. Not the original color. the original was the piss yellow/green.ugh.
      https://gotart.smugmug.com/72-2002/n-JTFs2V
      I know way off topic.
      Almost like a conversation a family friend and I had some years back. When I was a kid in the 1980s, the family friend use to take my brother and I to local car shows, where he showed off his 1960s Ford Mustangs. I can't remember years and models, but it's not important. Conversation devolved into "Man I wish I still had those cars today". They'd be worth a fortune. Very true, but like with your vehicle, one never knows.

1970s Mustangs don't command much money and there are still plenty of classic cars whose value never appreciated. So one never knows and it boils down to luck of the draw.

Yesterday, I had my oil changed at the dealer and when checking out my service advisor reviewed the work performed. He wanted me to know that from now on, Volvo is requiring that Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 oil must be used when any oil service is completed for "All model year vehicles (2015-)". He provided me with a copy of Volvo's TIE, Technical Information Exchange, Ref No. US 34740 1.3 en-US, dated 1-27-20. It is "Updated to include all model year vehicles built using the 4 cylinder VEP engine". It also states "Volvo will not pay for any oil maintenance claims that are performed without using Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 oil" It also states, "The U.S. and Canadian markets will follow the extreme driving conditions recommendation".
      2018 V90 T6 RD Passion Red, Amber, Polestar

This has been all over the forum earlier. Every 2020 comes with a supplement to the user manual with this page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my last oil change - 60K -(MY 15.5 S60) I requested dealer user 0w 20. Appears it's no longer optional according to Sky-King.

I thougt it was strange that in the US the recommendation was 5W30 or 0W20, while in the
      EU only 0W20 was listed. I don't mean to say that 5W30 was'nt a "good" viscosity range,
      after all there are quite big climatic differences in the US and in the EU.
      Does it mean that these differences are not important?
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      I thougt it was strange that in the US the recommendation was 5W30 or 0W20, while in the
      EU only 0W20 was listed. I don't mean to say that 5W30 was'nt a "good" viscosity range,
      after all there are quite big climatic differences in the US and in the EU.
      Does it mean that these differences are not important?
      From what was originally discussed, the problem boiled down to availability. Seems 5w30 was what the American Market had that was closest to 0w20. Until of course Volvo started seeing piston ring failures and apparently decided to make available 0w20.

Except you cant get Castrol professional in the open market, which is what Volvo mandates to maintain warranty. Is castrol non professional 0-20 the same? Probably, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and volvo would deny any warranty if it wasnt Castrol professional through them.

That's why volvo needs sued and sued big time for not providing free oil changes throughout duration of warranty. 3 free changes is not enough. If you have to have a specific service regimen to maintain warranty US law says it must be included for free. BMW already got in trouble with this which is why their maintenance is free in warranty.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

So sue them already. You've been talking about it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Except you cant get Castrol professional in the open market, which is what Volvo mandates to maintain warranty. Is castrol non professional 0-20 the same? Probably, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and volvo would deny any warranty if it wasnt Castrol professional through them.

That's why volvo needs sued and sued big time for not providing free oil changes throughout duration of warranty. 3 free changes is not enough. If you have to have a specific service regimen to maintain warranty US law says it must be included for free. BMW already got in trouble with this which is why their maintenance is free in warranty.

If that's the case, as Tech said, why not class action and get ball rolling? Moaning about things don't solve them.....

I do agree that if Volvo requires a specific oil to maintain your warranty, and it won't sell or make available this oil to the consumer, then it would appear Volvo has monopolized the requirement to service at the dealer. Not sure the legalities there, as I'm not a lawyer. But does at least seem morally unethical.

The (2020) owners manual "recommends" to use Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20.
      And ACEA A5/B5 must be used. But it doesn't say that it has to be Castrol.
      Surely there are other oils of this spec available on the US market?
      My dealer uses TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 V-DRIVE 0W-20 which is a VCC RBS0-2AE spec oil.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      The (2020) owners manual "recommends" to use Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 or VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20.
      And ACEA A5/B5 must be used. But it doesn't say that it has to be Castrol.
      Surely there are other oils of this spec available on the US market?
      My dealer uses TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 V-DRIVE 0W-20 which is a VCC RBS0-2AE spec oil.
      It is weird for a dealer not to use recommended engine oil brand. Too hard to find some in market?

Fusion Red T8 XC60
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 237344 miles [2020-10-13]

Nobody says you need to use Castrol oil. There is plenty of approved alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      It is weird for a dealer not to use recommended engine oil brand. Too hard to find some in market?

Fusion Red T8 XC60
      Castrol is plenty available here (Belgium).
      My dealer used Castrol but now uses Total (I still have bottle of Castrol in my garage that I bought
      when we collected the car. The dealer was astonished that I asked for it, but we drove to Denmark
      a few days later and my point was that the engine hadn't yet proven not to burn oil ).
      I am not in the best position to question the use of Total oil since I was an employee at Total (reffinery)
      But, provided that they conform to the required specs, I see no reason why alternative brands wouldn't be ok.
      Last edited by Zahra; 03-23-2020 at 11:10 AM.
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Nobody says you need to use Castrol oil. There is plenty of approved alternatives.

Really? Where is that list at?

2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod

The list consists of oils meeting VCC RBS0-2AE spec. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=VCC+RBS0-2AE
      Current:2020 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension, Polestar
      Sold: 2016 XC90 T8 Inscription w/Air Suspension

Which is Castrol Professional

2006 Passion Red S60R

Advantages of 0W20 over 5W30?

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      Really? Where is that list at?

First I didnt say there is a list. If you able to reply to the posts you might have something like google on one of your devices. This has been discussed so many times.
      Castrol, Motul, Liqui Molly, Ravenol, Quartz, Rowe, Havoline, Eurol, xenum
      Just to start the list for you. Not all available in the USA but all Volvo approved for the spa 2L engine. Im running Motul I got online. Next will be liqui molly that is waiting in the garage and got it on Amazon.

https://xenum.com/en/home/products/o...ic/pro-v-0w20/

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/m...pdf?1534434476

https://www.mobil.com/en-dk/passenge...ormula-vc-0w20

RAVENOL J1A1508-004 EFS 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil - VSS RBS0-2AE Approved (4 Liter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J8K1TY..._bbpEEbRW7AP44

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...RoC4DQQAvD_BwE

http://catalog.lubricants.total.com/...-V-DRIVE-0W-20

Please guys if you have the time keep filling the list for our friend.

Last edited by rkohou; 03-23-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      First I didnt say there is a list. If you able to reply to the posts you might have something like google on one of your devices. This has been discussed so many times.
      Castrol, Motul, Liqui Molly, Ravenol, Quartz, Rowe, Havoline, Eurol, xenum
      Just to start the list for you. Not all available in the USA but all Volvo approved for the spa 2L engine. Im running Motul I got online. Next will be liqui molly that is waiting in the garage and got it on Amazon.

https://xenum.com/en/home/products/o...ic/pro-v-0w20/

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/m...pdf?1534434476

https://www.mobil.com/en-dk/passenge...ormula-vc-0w20

RAVENOL J1A1508-004 EFS 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil - VSS RBS0-2AE Approved (4 Liter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J8K1TY..._bbpEEbRW7AP44

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...RoC4DQQAvD_BwE

http://catalog.lubricants.total.com/...-V-DRIVE-0W-20

Please guys if you have the time keep filling the list for our friend.

Not all available in the US....read MOST not available in the US.

2006 Passion Red S60R

Advantages of 0W20 over 5W30?

You are able to get 4 different Volvo approved oils here in the USA without moving your behind from the toilet seat. If you need more than perhaps you should contact all companies individually and ask them to make it available to you. Im happy with what is out there.
      I worry more about what this virus will do to the economy and peoples way of life than to be stressing if Mobil makes an oil for my Volvo.

Last edited by rkohou; 03-23-2020 at 12:32 PM.

As mentioned in another thread, my 2016 XC90 seems to be consuming oil. It had dealer performed oil changes at ~10K mile OCIs for the life of the vehicle. 5W-30 and a Volvo part number for Castrol was on every maintenance record. At around 70K miles it started to consume oil. The stupid oil level meter on the Sensus has no incremental hash marks, but it was clearly degrading over time, and quickly. Then, in the last 500 miles during a road trip it dropped a ton: from ~30% above minimum to ~5%. Hash marks, Volvo, hash marks.

After some internet sleuthing I discovered that this is common for 2016s. The reasons, however, are debated. Seems that some 2016 owners got new pistons and rings, so it’s likely a design flaw. But why would it manifest at roughly 60K-70K miles? If low tension rings are the problem I’d expect it to be a consistent issue over the life of the vehicle, but it’s wasn’t My unvalidated hypothesis is that the 10K mile OCI is just too long and these cars get carbon buildup on the ring lands.

I posted over on BITOG and took the advice of some posters there: I added a can of BG EPR solvent and rand the car for 20 minutes at 1200RPM. I then changed the oil and filter. I’ve never seen oil so black. I know the color doesn’t mean that much, but holy hell it was pitch black. I added a Wix filter, 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage (A5/B5 so it meets spec per the 2016 owners manual), and plan to drive it 500 miles home.

I will change the oil at some short OCI after that. My debate: do I switch to 0W20 or stick with 5W30? Conventional wisdom states that the thicker the oil, the less it’ll blow-by and thus get consumed. But is seems that even Volvo is now recommending 0W20 for all XC90s, including 2016-2018 which is new for US (and Canadian?) dealers.

Oil threads are like politics and religion all rolled into one. I’m just curious to hear what y’all think is the better choice from here on out: 0W20 or 5W30. FWIW, I live in Colorado now, but for the first 60K of this XC90’s life it was in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by ChimpanZed View Post
      As mentioned in another thread, my 2016 XC90 seems to be consuming oil. It had dealer performed oil changes at ~10K mile OCIs for the life of the vehicle. 5W-30 and a Volvo part number for Castrol was on every maintenance record. At around 70K miles it started to consume oil. The stupid oil level meter on the Sensus has no incremental hash marks, but it was clearly degrading over time, and quickly. Then, in the last 500 miles during a road trip it dropped a ton: from ~30% above minimum to ~5%. Hash marks, Volvo, hash marks.

After some internet sleuthing I discovered that this is common for 2016s. The reasons, however, are debated. Seems that some 2016 owners got new pistons and rings, so it’s likely a design flaw. But why would it manifest at roughly 60K-70K miles? If low tension rings are the problem I’d expect it to be a consistent issue over the life of the vehicle, but it’s wasn’t My unvalidated hypothesis is that the 10K mile OCI is just too long and these cars get carbon buildup on the ring lands.

I posted over on BITOG and took the advice of some posters there: I added a can of BG EPR solvent and rand the car for 20 minutes at 1200RPM. I then changed the oil and filter. I’ve never seen oil so black. I know the color doesn’t mean that much, but holy hell it was pitch black. I added a Wix filter, 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage (A5/B5 so it meets spec per the 2016 owners manual), and plan to drive it 500 miles home.

I will change the oil at some short OCI after that. My debate: do I switch to 0W20 or stick with 5W30? Conventional wisdom states that the thicker the oil, the less it’ll blow-by and thus get consumed. But is seems that even Volvo is now recommending 0W20 for all XC90s, including 2016-2018 which is new for US (and Canadian?) dealers.

Oil threads are like politics and religion all rolled into one. I’m just curious to hear what y’all think is the better choice from here on out: 0W20 or 5W30. FWIW, I live in Colorado now, but for the first 60K of this XC90’s life it was in Texas.
      The 15.5 and early 16 drive-e engines had piston ring issues. So once the oil consumption problem starts, it doesn't get better. Tech has always indicated they replace the breather box to see if that'll resolve. Not sure how often that fixes, but if that's a no go, then it's piston ring time. Not sure what engine your 2016 XC90 runs or if it is a Drive-E.

None the less, if you have serviced the car at Volvo for the entire life of the vehicle, reach out to the dealer who did the services. See if they'll advocate on your behalf to have Volvo Replace the rings. If not, contact corporate and mention the car's not been touched by anyone but a Volvo Tech. Generally, Volvo is pretty good about helping out if your vehicle is exclusively Volvo serviced and under 100K.

Interesting the Pennzoil is Volvo ACEA A5/B5 approved but not VW 2019 505. 00 and 502. 00 certified, yet the Castrol is VW certified but not Volvo.

ACEA A5/B5
      https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-5500...s%2C176&sr=8-8

ACEA A3, ACEA B3, ACEA B4, A3/B4 - VW 505. 00 and 502. 00
      https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101...s%2C206&sr=8-5

Quote Originally Posted by EdVQ37 View Post
      They run all kinds of weights of oil defending on region. 0w30/0w40 is a common and highly used weight in Europe with manufactures including Volvo.
      Except the new SPA engines for which it's very well documented the recommended oil, particularly in extreme driving conditions (even in NA) is 0W-20 with VCC cert RSB0-2AE.

The 0W-40 EU blend synthetic weights are recommended for older engines, like our 2010 XC90 with 3.2L 6Cyl. It's what I use - the GC 0W-40 for our extreme driving conditions including towing. In our 2017, same extreme conditions and I've been using LiquiMoly Spec V 0W-20. Tolerances and engine design contribute to recommended weights as much as driving conditions and yes, in those specs/design considerations meeting efficiency standards are also factors. The new engines were designed for increased efficiency. It's part of how they squeezed 316HP out of a 2L 4Cyl.
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Sold in 2018: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

To add more confusion to this, my car has a sticker under the hood to use Castrol Profesional 5W-30. It's 2018 T6.

So am I supposed to use 5W-30 or 0W-20?

Quote Originally Posted by nayab View Post
      To add more confusion to this, my car has a sticker under the hood to use Castrol Profesional 5W-30. It's 2018 T6.

So am I supposed to use 5W-30 or 0W-20?
      I've went through this too, and you're good with either. As long as both oils are certified to Volvo's specs, as those specs for both 5w30 and 0w20 have been described as nauseam here.

Or, if you're like me, and change to LiquiMoly Special Tech V 0w20 after my 2017 T6 engine is replaced.

(Per the Volvo TJ, this is explicitly what is supposed to be done - use spec 0w20 oil if the engine has been replaced).

And during the first start up, the cam shafts immediately become God awful loud and scare the s**t out of me.

Yeah, I went back to 5w30 (Pennzoil) and the cam noise soon went away.

To add to the confusion, my 2020 T6 runs great with LiquiMoly 0w20.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner511 View Post
      I've went through this too, and you're good with either. As long as both oils are certified to Volvo's specs, as those specs for both 5w30 and 0w20 have been described as nauseam here.

Or, if you're like me, and change to LiquiMoly Special Tech V 0w20 after my 2017 T6 engine is replaced.

(Per the Volvo TJ, this is explicitly what is supposed to be done - use spec 0w20 oil if the engine has been replaced).

And during the first start up, the cam shafts immediately become God awful loud and scare the s**t out of me.

Yeah, I went back to 5w30 (Pennzoil) and the cam noise soon went away.

To add to the confusion, my 2020 T6 runs great with LiquiMoly 0w20.

According to Tech, Volvo will not cover consumption issues if 0w-20 is not used. Of course, if your dealer is dropping in 5w-20 and they don't adhere to protocol, that's on them.

According to Tech, Volvo will not cover consumption issues if 0w-20 is not used. Of course, if your dealer is dropping in 5w-20 and they don't adhere to protocol, that's on them.
      I know what you're referring to and you're correct. Tech has also said you'll be fine with 5w30, as have other Volvo employees in this thread and others.

I think it was a typo (if you meant 5w30), but my dealer has used 5w30 since 2017. Even after the engine replacement in late 2019. I'm unsure it they've switched over yet, but I'll be there next week.

I changed both over to 0w20 to stick to what Volvo says. But I still find it strange that Volvo spec 0w20 can cause such insanely noisy cams with one engine (2017 T6, replaced) but not the other (2020 T6, which calls for 5w30 under the hood). The noise was so bad that it was heard and felt inside the cabin.

Last edited by Ultrarunner511; 07-31-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Can someone post a picture of the sticker under the hood that says 5W30? I don't recall seeing one but I may have missed it. I don't really check every car for such a thing.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast