2012 engine replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2012 engine replacement

Hi, my engine locked up unexpectedly and without checking engine light or codes thrown. I purchased a junk yard engine and installed it.
      I have spark, fuel and compression but the engine won’t fire up. I’m not sure where to look next.
      Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As I keep trying different methods to start the engine there seems to be a lot of fuel being pushed I to the engine. So much that I had to drain the crankcase oil and refill do to a heavy fuel odor. I have not encountered this before.

Since you have spark and fuel have you checked for fault codes stored? Sounds like there might be a sensor problem or perhaps a wiring harness not connected?
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Tough spot, I'm not a mechanic but I witnessed my rebuild after a tensioner failure caused a 3 teeth timing belt skip and toasted my valves colliding with pistons I rebuilt my head at a shop. Main thing is to check the head, better hope the junk yard did not sell you an engine that ran out of oil or was a victim of a belt skip. Pull the head off if you can and inspect the valves for any sign of damage. Or have a mechanic check the belts and tensioners, so much can go wrong. Cost me thousands to repair mine but a mechanic friend bailed me out..my car would of been in the junk yard.
      Here's my thread I posted complete with pics :

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-000-BELT-SKIP

feels great to get it on the road again
      Last edited by Highwayman; 01-04-2020 at 10:08 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
      Pull the head off if you can and inspect the valves for any sign of damage. Or have a mechanic check the belts and tensioners, so much can go wrong.
      He has compression so no need to pull the head. This definitely sounds electrical.
      2012 S60 T5 - Flamenco Red, Soft/Sandstone Beige, Climate, Premium, Multimedia, Xenons, BLIS, PCC, Park Assist, Urbane Wood, TFT Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by ecoDrive View Post
      He has compression so no need to pull the head. This definitely sounds electrical.
      Possibly, mine had compression in 2 of the 5 cylinders but about half of my 10 exhaust valves cracked when they collided with pistons. My 10 intake valves were all ok but still had the entire head redone as far as seals. Pulling an engine out of a junked T5 can be tricky.

Was the junked T5's engine turning over in the junkyard before you bought it ? Was the T5 in the junkyard due to a crash ?

These T5s are prone to seizure failure if oil runs out.

If electrical I would start with a new set of Bosch Iridium plugs and maybe swap out a few ignition coils.

Also check the drive belt if riding ok on the tensioner.

Here's a good thread on potential tensioner failures :

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...er-replacement
      Last edited by Highwayman; 01-06-2020 at 01:02 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 FWD & 2013 XC90 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Jstarii View Post
      I have spark, fuel and compression but the engine won’t fire up. I’m not sure where to look next.
      Any suggestions?

If you have fuel, and spark, the only thing left is air. I assume the engine uses an electronic throttle body? Maybe it is not opening for some reason?

I know you said it had compression, but generally you're supposed to manually prop the TB open during compression testing. So that is not really an indicator of whether the engine is getting air when turning over to start. Are there any CEL codes?

Also, fuel and spark are useless if they are not timed properly. Check the cam position sensor?

We found an injector that was stuck full open And was pouring fuel into 1 cylinder. Needed to drain and replace the oil as some of this excess fuel seemed to have seeped passed the rings.
      The new injector stopped the excess fuel and now the engine tries to start but doesn’t run. Still no codes thrown.
      I have replaced the plugs with iridium.
      The junkyard said that they had run the engine for 30 min and checked compression. Half of the oil pan bolts were off so I’m hoping that they checked the lower end.

This engine is just difficult. We got spark and starting gets some firing and backfiring but won’t start. Very strong fuel smell. Seems like it’s running very rich.
      Checked the timing, crank and cam sensors. I’m not sure where to go adjust injector timing or flow.
      Still no codes coming up on OBDC.
      Four out of five of these injectors cane from the old engine and 1 was new. The old engine was running fine until the lower end dipped a bearing.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements