2020 S60 - Auto-dimming mirrors, not dimming
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2020 S60 - Auto-dimming mirrors, not dimming

Has anyone noticed or had this issue? It seems like my mirrors just will not dim. I tested them the other day by holding my hand in front of the sensor (front side facing the windshield) and shining a light on the reflective side, and it will dim then, however during night-time driving, they just refuse to do so. Wondering if I have a faulty interior mirror.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IvanR View Post
      Has anyone noticed or had this issue? It seems like my mirrors just will not dim. I tested them the other day by holding my hand in front of the sensor (front side facing the windshield) and shining a light on the reflective side, and it will dim then, however during night-time driving, they just refuse to do so. Wondering if I have a faulty interior mirror.
      Have you had your rear window tinted? If so it could be a calibration issue. If not then not sure what the issue is.

No, nothing tinted as of now

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Check your settings first thing

1. Tap Settings in the Top view in the center display.
      2. Tap My Car Mirrors and Convenience.
      3. Under Rearview Mirror Auto Dimming,
      ->select Normal, Dark or Light.

If it's set to "light" that may explain it. If I were you I'd try changing the setting, turning the car off, then changing it again when you turn the car back on if it's still not working, see if that resolves it.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription
      1998 V70R. RIP Transmission
      1973 Volvo 1800ES which will someday get a T6 engine

Ive tried all three settings, nothing changes.

Hm, perhaps it's a faulty rear-view mirror like you thought, it basically controls it all I think
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Should the rear view mirror also dim in a Volvo? I know my Audi will. What I would suggest I guess is redoing the first test and looking if the mirror tints this could help maybe with the next step before a service visit .
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

Quote Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
      Should the rear view mirror also dim in a Volvo?
      yes if equipped with it, it's the literal function this entire thread is about
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      yes if equipped with it, it's the literal function this entire thread is about
      Cool I’m glad we are on the same page then. As some cars only tint the side mirrors and not the rear mirror. So as I mentioned I wonder if it tints when he hits the front sensor as he did before.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

My rear view mirror dims, but I only notice the dimming at night when another car, with their headlights on, is behind me. Have you road tested it at night?
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

Quote Originally Posted by GordonCs View Post
      My rear view mirror dims, but I only notice the dimming at night when another car, with their headlights on, is behind me. Have you road tested it at night?
      Right, you would think it only works at night and not with reflected sunlight.

As you mentioned lights off or open doors not driving first could result in not Deming as we really don’t know what logic there is with the mirror. As you would not think is as simple as light amount (shining a light at it)
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

The car has an ambient light sensor many systems are directed by. You can mainly tell when your sensus screen/nav turns to night mode, go into a dark tunnel and it'll do it even during the day. I would guess though I don't know for sure the mirror dimming is tied into the ambient light sensor and only dims the mirrors when it's dark out. They certainly do not dim during daylight.
      2019 S60 T6 Inscription

Quote Originally Posted by Avboden View Post
      The car has an ambient light sensor many systems are directed by. You can mainly tell when your sensus screen/nav turns to night mode, go into a dark tunnel and it'll do it even during the day. I would guess though I don't know for sure the mirror dimming is tied into the ambient light sensor and only dims the mirrors when it's dark out. They certainly do not dim during daylight.

With that in mind i would suggest something like having the car running at night, lights on, doors close, using flashlight to direct strong light directly on the rear view mirror and see what happens.

Not sure if this is exactly what you tired before.
      2020 V60 CC
      IG _kademan_v60cc_

I think the OP is on to it, he already gets how it works. These systems tend to all work the same way as they are made by either Gentex or Donnelly. The interior rear view mirror has a front facing light sensor and a rear facing light sensor. The front facing sensor is used to deduce if it is day or night and the rear facing sensor detects headlights shining through the rear window. The side mirrors are simple slaves to the interior mirror.

You've already tested it by blocking the front sensor and shining a light on the rear one, so you know it is working! One thing that plagues these systems, IMO, is they are far too conservative in dimming. My eyes are very sensitive to light. Happily the Volvo is adjustable through the Sensus, so it works for me in "dark" mode. What I have done on previous cars is, glue or tape a section of tinted plastic over the front sensor, this makes it think it's a little darker than it is, enhancing the dimming effect.

So I’ve remedied the issue. I had my windows tinted so now the mirror “thinks” it’s darker now, resulting in a satisfactory dimming threshold.

Funny because I didn't want my mirrors to dim at all. I like to see not only the cars and headlights but everything else around. I couldn't even tell what type of car was behind me when in the past I could tell by the headlight design. I don't want to just see lights in my mirror and nothing else. I quickly found out that I can't turn off the dimming feature at all but instead just keep it on the "light" setting. That still darkened the mirror more than I would like.

To remedy that issue, I had my window tinted so now the mirror "thinks" the headlights aren't as bright as they are which results in the mirror not dimming as much as it did.
      2019 S60 - R-Design - T6 - Polestar - B&W - Black Stone

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements