Spring seats again?!?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Spring seats again?!?

Started hearing a clunk noise from the right front over the last few weeks and finally had time to investigate. I discovered the right front strut top nut turns easily, indicating the spring seat is shot. Well crap, I replaced the originals at around 90,000 miles with the "upgraded XC90" spring seat from Tasca (part #30683637 which interestingly now shows on their web site as "not for four-c". As if there are VRs without 4C?)
      So now after 37,000 miles one is blown, and these were supposed to be the better ones. WTH? The roads here are smooth as can be with no pot holes, ruts, railroad tracks, etc and the upgraded HD seats lasted less than half as long as the originals?

Well anyway, I need to replace the spring seats and I do not want to do this again in such a short time. Can anyone recommend a particular manufacturer that has a tack record for durability? When I search I find the same part number from multiple manufacturers and I certainly do not want to get a lower quality part that I'll have to replace in another 37,000 miles.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I did the IPD ones and 42k in with no issues. The rubber felt significantly better than the XC90 ones which I bought a pair of each to compare.
      Stage 3 Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD #TeamTF80, 12.9 1/4 @112mph. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kay_yass https://www.instagram.com/kale_salad_rz/
      Quote Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      It is flaccid in nature, and makes me uncomfortable to talk about.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

I'm using the XC90 spring seats and haven't had any issues with durability, with the genuine Volvo part. Sorry to hear that- maybe bad quality control? The roads around here are terrible and the spring seats hold up. The non-Volvo part ones do not last IME.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

To counter Khalil_y, I did the IPD ones and one of them only lasted about 10,000 miles. I think you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's kind of like trying to find endlinks that will last.
      2006 S60R Passion Red and body kit with Nordkap with GT ---> CFWerks Carbon Fiber V-Style front spoiler, IPD Silicon Hot Side Tubing, IPD HDTCV, Forge CBV, IPD Oval Cat-Back, IPD Silicon Vacuum Lines, Snabb MAF to Turbo Silicon Intake, IPD Retro Poly Upper Mount, IPD secondary CAI, Nav, Climate, After-Market Head-Unit, AMSOIL lubes.

I've been in this community since I bought my R 5 years ago. There's literally not a single spring seat that will last more than 25k, 30k if you're lucky.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk
      Stage 3 Electric Silver 06 S60R 6SPD #TeamTF80, 12.9 1/4 @112mph. Build thread here
      Follow my obsession on Instagram: @kay_yass https://www.instagram.com/kale_salad_rz/
      Ugh. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by khalil_y View Post
      I've been in this community since I bought my R 5 years ago. There's literally not a single spring seat that will last more than 25k, 30k if you're lucky.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk
      Well that is not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the info.

I don't understand the design of these things. I think there's a round metal plate that's covered with rubber and a vertical metal sleeve is trapped in the rubber. Eventually the rubber around the sleeve tears and the strut can then move around. It would be much more durable if the metal sleeve was rigidly attached (welded) to the metal plate, then encase it all in rubber for dampening purposes. Perhaps that would result in more wheel vibrations being transmitted to the body? I dunno, but for increased longevity I could live with that.

This was an original at 90K miles. Too bad the replacements can't last as long.
      P4060444.jpg
      Last edited by Phoenix R; 01-03-2020 at 05:00 PM.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

Its a flawed design sadly.
      Ugh. Story of my life.

I just replaced my OE spring seats with 222,000 miles (mostly highway) on them with, well, OE spring seats purchased from FCP Euro. I drive in Sport mode 99% of the time. Where in Arizona are you located? If Phoenix or other hot areas, the extreme heat is murder on rubber.

IMG_9261.jpg

IMG_9260.jpg
      Last edited by qwkbrk; 01-04-2020 at 09:57 AM.
      '06 Long Roof R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 222k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 27k miles - garage queen | RIP 10/05/17, now a parts car.
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | 26k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 161k miles

Quote Originally Posted by qwkbrk View Post
      Where in Arizona are you located? If Phoenix or other hot areas, the extreme heat is murder on rubber.
      I'm in Phoenix, so yeah right in the middle of blazing hellish summers.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

Its a flawed design sadly.
      With quality materials it`s not flawed. witness the OEM seats that were original to the vehicle lasting 120k and more. It`s just when aftermarket and now somewhat suspect new Volvo OEM seats there are issues.

I did the IPD ones and 42k in with no issues. The rubber felt significantly better than the XC90 ones which I bought a pair of each to compare.
      That`s certainly a non-objective and scientific way to determine which is better.

I did IPD seats and they later failed...don't recall how many miles but it was on the order of 10's of thousands before they failed. Called IPD and new ones sent as replacements. I recall that they improved the design so the later version I installed (couple years ago IIRC) have been on the car since with the design improvement. We shall say as time goes on but knock on wood so far so good.
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      With quality materials it`s not flawed. witness the OEM seats that were original to the vehicle lasting 120k and more. It`s just when aftermarket and now somewhat suspect new Volvo OEM seats there are issues.
      yup, you just have people that replace an engine or head once and they become experts same goes for seats they do it once or twice and label them as flawed ..." OE volvo will last long time never had issue."
      2006 S60R 2.4 T5 mostly stock fine tuned by https://urbastuning.wordpress.com
      ipd = sways, inter-cooler, inlet/TB/OTE silicone piping, cat back exhaust, rear camber bushings, sub-frame inserts,
      Originally Posted by John C "We are in the presence of greatness! "

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Bingo, alot of "OEM" supplier parts from lemforder are now made in china and Taiwan, I have been buying alot more old stock blue box to skirt around this.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

I had fairly new IPD heavy duties on my car prior to my purchase. They failed shortly after I purchased it and completely separated similar to the photo above. I think they only had around 10k miles on them total. I went back with "OE" type from FCP.
      2005 V70R M66, Titanium-Gobi

1986 944 Turbo, Black-Tan

Past; 940t wagon, 940, 960 wagon, 240 wagon and several others in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by dougy View Post
      yup, you just have people that replace an engine or head once and they become experts same goes for seats they do it once or twice and label them as flawed ..." OE volvo will last long time never had issue."
      No doubt on that!

so OE XC90 seats are the only way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Volvo did away with the non-XC90 spring seats awhile ago and all P2 blue box spring seats are the same.
      2006 S60R MT Sonic Blue with Atacama - Garage Queen
      2008 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red with Off Black - Hers
      2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI MT, 2001 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L MT 60th Anniversary Edition
      Previously: 2010 S80 V8, 2006 V70R MT, 2004 S60R MT, 1993 245 NA, 2006 XC90 V8, 2002 Dakota V8 MT

Quote Originally Posted by esmith813 View Post
      Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Volvo did away with the non-XC90 spring seats awhile ago and all P2 blue box spring seats are the same.
      There’s some old stock floating around thats original design. Like the pcv banjo bolt it’s known about but not flagged all over the place as the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 197k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 291k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 238k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 212k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      The older design has been superceded, so yes, in terms of part numbers, the XC90 spring seats are the current application for our Rs. But you do need to make sure they don't sell you the older version, make sure they sell you the XC90 part number.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements