UGH! Lost my A/C
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

UGH! Lost my A/C

On our trip home from N.Y. we needed the A/C once we hit S. Carolina. It started out just ok. Then we had to lower the temp all the way too low. Then only somewhat cool are on the passenger side, warm on the driver side. Finally lost it completely in Georgia. Had to stop for a while as it was way too uncomfortable in 84* bright sun with the windows up. Back on the road again once the sun went down. We had slightly cool air on the passenger side again. But it was gone before we got home to Florida. Dealer will fit me in on Tuesday afternoon. We have a 2018 XC60 Inscription. NO A/C in Florida sucks! Will post follow up on Tuesday.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Mine just went out also. I need to make an appointment to get it in.

Happened to me last July, needed new compressor

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I had the same problem in September. Compressor replaced

How many miles on your XC60?
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by PSamy View Post
      How many miles on your XC60?
      Just about to hit 32,000.

Quote Originally Posted by imoumni View Post
      Happened to me last July, needed new compressor

5000 when it happened to me

Tango, imuoumni,
      That's interesting, usually compressor lasts much longer. Not sure, if its specific to a batch of compressors had this issue or some kind design flaw?, mine is new, but will keep an eye.
      2019 XC60 - T6 - R-Design - Polestar - Air Suspension W/Four-C Chassis - Advance - Crystal White Pearl - 21" R-Design Wheels

OK ladies, ready for this? I need a new A/C condenser, to the tune of $1630 tax included. A stone got through the grill and put a hole in it. They wouldn't warranty it, obviously. He started out at $1990 w/tax for an insurance claim. Told him it be cash, he needed to do better. He then came down a lot. Checked with one of the only A/C rear shops nearby. They would need to buy the parts from Volvo and mark them up. His labor would have saved me $240 over the dealer labor. BUTT, the dealer was going to charge me $140 diagnostic if I didn't give them the job. Also I get a loaner, plus lifetime parts and labor from the dealer. Expensive trip up north to see family!

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
      OK ladies, ready for this? I need a new A/C condenser, to the tune of $1630 tax included. A stone got through the grill and put a hole in it. They wouldn't warranty it, obviously. He started out at $1990 w/tax for an insurance claim. Told him it be cash, he needed to do better. He then came down a lot. Checked with one of the only A/C rear shops nearby. They would need to buy the parts from Volvo and mark them up. His labor would have saved me $240 over the dealer labor. BUTT, the dealer was going to charge me $140 diagnostic if I didn't give them the job. Also I get a loaner, plus lifetime parts and labor from the dealer. Expensive trip up north to see family!

Condenser $550
      https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s..._driveLine=441
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by BigBang View Post
      So what are you trying to tell me? You offering to do it?

So what are you trying to tell me? You offering to do it?
      Not only do I say the price, I can't understand that replacing it and refilling the climate system cost $ 1080
      It's a 3-4 hour job

Good luck
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Not only do I say the price, I can't understand that replacing it and refilling the climate system cost $ 1080
      It's a 3-4 hour job

Good luck
      Dealer always charge MSRP price (if not higher) for parts, at least in America. And you only get warranty for future replacement from Volvo for job done at dealer.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I'd ask to see the hole. Dealer just took a look at mine and its also a bad compressor like the others in here and it has been mentioned in the past that compressors have gone out early. Dealer may be trying to get money out of you.

Keep your receipts, wouldn't be surprised if a recall is announced

It's a 3-4 hour job

Good luck
      Book time is 6.3 hours. Private shop 6 hours. The condenser plus all the extraneous parts all at retail come to approx $800+. 6.3 hours at $125 is approx. $700. Tax man gets another $100. Didn't pay to have it done at the private shop. Dealer would have charged me $140 to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by kmazz View Post
      I'd ask to see the hole. Dealer just took a look at mine and its also a bad compressor like the others in here and it has been mentioned in the past that compressors have gone out early. Dealer may be trying to get money out of you.
      My compressor was working, I heard it. There is a hole and green fluid was coming out after they recharged the system. Dealer is being honest. Even if I don't like the price.

I always save all the receipts. Thanks.

So we got it all fixed. Actually came in under the estimate by $30. As we drove home the A/C was much colder than before. Higher temp setting had us both saying it. Makes me wonder if the freon might have been low to begin with. Service writer said the area was packed with debris, leaves and whatnot when they removed the skid plate. They had never seen so much crap in there.

Why not file an insurance claim? It was damage caused while driving, should be covered.

Also asking for a better deal for cash is pretty outdated... we get charged 3% for running credit cards and we don't care at all where the money comes from.. the days of cash being in your favor are long gone unless the 3% differences ($60 for a $2000 bill) is a significant deal to you, I'd rather keep the cash in pocket if going on a trip.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Why not file an insurance claim? It was damage caused while driving, should be covered.

Also asking for a better deal for cash is pretty outdated... we get charged 3% for running credit cards and we don't care at all where the money comes from.. the days of cash being in your favor are long gone unless the 3% differences ($60 for a $2000 bill) is a significant deal to you, I'd rather keep the cash in pocket if going on a trip.
      $500 deductible for one. And it would be a chargeable incident on my policy. I am saving $100/yr. with a good driver discount. I would lose that for 5 years! So, to me it was worth it to pay the bill on my own.

24. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements