What's the Best Option to Buy?!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question What's the Best Option to Buy?!

Hi All,
      New here, have been reading tons to get acclimated with all the info out there! This is a great forum. Hope this is the appropriate location for this post, if not, mods please move, and my apologies.

I am days away from getting a used 2016 T8 or T6, but am looking for feedback from the truly experienced folks. Here are the options:

2016 T8 Momentum CPO with Climate, Vision, and Convenience. 37k miles, $34k. Would have the option to get the extended 10 year warranty.
      2016 T6 Inscription with Climate, Vision, Convenience, B&W, and Air Suspension. 54k miles, $30k. No warranty option through dealer.
      2016 T8 Inscription with Climate, Vision, Convenience, B&W, and Air Suspension. 43k miles, $35k. Lemon tag due to buyback 7/19 by Volvo for "Customer Satisfaction" and to repair hybrid system failure and the Check Engine light illumination, per dealer. Also said that Volvo fully resolved this matter under warranty by simply adding coolant for the reservoir and replacing the fuel filter and low pressure sensors. They also performed a total software update.

My questions are: Which is the best deal? I am leaning towards the T8 Inscription, but am wary of not having a warranty, and the Lemon tag. How bad will this impact resale if I ever decide to sell? This one will also be shipped, whereas the other two are close enough for me to test drive first. I would have an independent inspection done prior to purchase if I went this route.
      Is it possible to get an extended warranty for the non-CPO options?
      While all have been on their respective lots for 90+ days, none of the dealers are budging on price.

TIA!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy832 View Post
      2016 T8 Momentum CPO with Climate, Vision, and Convenience. 37k miles, $34k. Would have the option to get the extended 10 year warranty.
      This one

2016 T8 Momentum CPO with Climate, Vision, and Convenience. 37k miles, $34k. Would have the option to get the extended 10 year warranty. - This is always safe and best option
      2016 T6 Inscription with Climate, Vision, Convenience, B&W, and Air Suspension. 54k miles, $30k. No warranty option through dealer. - This would be first choice if Steingold can build a warranty plan for you, if not, not a good option
      2016 T8 Inscription with Climate, Vision, Convenience, B&W, and Air Suspension. 43k miles, $35k. Lemon tag due to buyback 7/19 by Volvo for "Customer Satisfaction" and to repair hybrid system failure and the Check Engine light illumination, per dealer. - Nope
      Added my 2 cents
      Our first Volvo - Optimus Prime - 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum Onyx Black, HUD, Momentum+, Convenience, Vision, Climate, Pilot Assist II + Mitigation Upgrades + May 2019 Update

My Fuel Log for real life Optimus Prime fuel efficiency - http://www.fuelly.com/car/volvo/xc90...wdarygm/910536

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Lemon tag is very negative for resale value. And there is no warranty for it. So 3 is a no-go. Not to mention you can't test drive it. But if you are a tech, or don't feel scary of potential repairs, it could be a good deal.

CPO is much safer bet.
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-06-2020 at 01:08 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

I'd negotiate hard for #3 ($30k) and get an extended warranty.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Thanks All. Did not even know you could get warranties if not CPO or from a Volvo dealer, so the Steingold rec was golden.

Appreciate all the input!

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Lemon tag is very negative for resale value. And there is no warranty for it. So 3 is a no-go. Not to mention you can't test drive it. But if you are a tech, or don't feel scary of potential repairs, it could be a good deal.

CPO is much safer bet.
      Looks like I can get a 48mo platinum warranty from Steingold for this vehicle that would cost 3500. Does this change your opinion at all?

One thing that can't be changed is that Lemon tag that will follow. My thought now is that we'd have this car until it dies, so resell won't be a concern. However something else makes me nervous: I'm not sure how insurance would cover a total loss for a vehicle with a Lemon tag. I tried asking Geico what the replacement cost would be, but they wouldn't provide that information.

Looks like I can get a 48mo platinum warranty from Steingold for this vehicle that would cost 3500. Does this change your opinion at all?

One thing that can't be changed is that Lemon tag that will follow. My thought now is that we'd have this car until it dies, so resell won't be a concern. However something else makes me nervous: I'm not sure how insurance would cover a total loss for a vehicle with a Lemon tag. I tried asking Geico what the replacement cost would be, but they wouldn't provide that information.
      I would still test drive it first. A lemon tagged car is not something you can put 100% confidence on, even with warranty. What if you find out the engine or something important is not smooth?

Understood. Since it would be shipped, I already have spoken with 2 mechanics in the area, and will use one (or both) to inspect and test drive the car. Yes I know that's a lot of trust to place with someone, but the other option is taking off work for the 10 hr round trip.

But assuming it passes inspection, and I get the warranty, (which I would for any of them), it would then be $1k more for an Inscription with B/W and Air Suspension.

That lemon issue would then only come into play if I were to total the car, or something major happen after the 4 year warranty runs out.

Thought I was set on the CPO T8, but now knowing that a warranty can be added to any, that makes my decision tougher.

10hr driving round trip is not that bad. If inspection is all good, I'd say go there to test drive and sign the deal, then drive back.

If 10hr flight then different story.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

For what it is worth, many years ago I purchased a Jeep Wrangler Renegade that had a salvage title in California. I was with Auto Club and asked them if the salvage title affected the insurance of the car. I was told no, that if in an accident they would treat the car in the same way whether or not it had a salvage title. In my particular situation the car had been stolen and stripped. So it had all new seats and wheels. Talk with your insurance company. I don't believe that it is an issue assuming the car is functional, safe, and not in a damaged state.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

I am days away from getting a used 2016 T8 or T6, but am looking for feedback from the truly experienced folks. Here are the options:

TIA!!
      #1 - Momentum, that's your car there because of the extended warranty and lower mileage, though it seems running on springs as opposed to air suspension (T8s are heavier than normal XC90s. T8 ride without air suspension may be harsher)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

Hey all, Just wanted to update. The T8 CPO and T6 Inscription both have buyers, so those are out. The T8 Inscription with the air suspension just got dropped by 2k, so its 33k. It has 43k miles, but also has the Lemon tag. Steingold said it would warranty it at 4 years for 3k.

Would it be advisable to wait for something non-lemon (lemonless?), or jump on this one? It would be assuming it passes inspection by a local mechanic, and then my flying down to drive it first.

Thanks all, your input is truly appreciated.

Hey all, Just wanted to update. The T8 CPO and T6 Inscription both have buyers, so those are out. The T8 Inscription with the air suspension just got dropped by 2k, so its 33k. It has 43k miles, but also has the Lemon tag. Steingold said it would warranty it at 4 years for 3k.

Would it be advisable to wait for something non-lemon (lemonless?), or jump on this one? It would be assuming it passes inspection by a local mechanic, and then my flying down to drive it first.

Thanks all, your input is truly appreciated.
      Is it at a Volvo dealer? Ask for a copy of service history and try to see what was the reason for buy-back. The $3k warranty is acceptable if for additional 4 years more. Not good if only up to year 2016+4. It could be good car if everything is fixed reliably. If warranty is till year 2020+4, it will be great peace in mind.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements