Have a 2020 XC90T8 ordered - anything I should know in advance?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Have a 2020 XC90T8 ordered - anything I should know in advance?

Hello all! I'm new to the forum. I have a 2020 XC90T8 ordered and am eagerly waiting on it to arrive, but before they actually build it, is there anything I should know about any of the options I chose that I should consider changing?

2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid
      Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior
      21 Inch Rims
      Advanced & Luxury Packages
      Park Assist
      Bowers & Wilkens Audio
      Adaptive Air Suspension

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2020XC90T8 View Post
      Hello all! I'm new to the forum. I have a 2020 XC90T8 ordered and am eagerly waiting on it to arrive, but before they actually build it, is there anything I should know about any of the options I chose that I should consider changing?

21 Inch Rims
      Park Assist
      Bowers & Wilkens Audio
      Adaptive Air Suspension
      We could never get Park Assist to work 1.) Reliably and 2.) Quickly.

It may be that we never got enough training on it or we never got enough practice, but it was just frustrating using it in real life conditions. We were just inconveniencing people in other cards behind us. The 360 camera is an amazing parking aid, however.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

Thank you for the reply. I had a demonstration of its operation and it seemed to work well once you practiced with it for a few times. It seems that getting the vehicle in the proper location first is the key. Thank you for the feedback.

If I might ask a few more questions. What has been your real world mpg so far. What problems if any have you experienced? What has your dealer experience been like? It has been a long time since I have had to wait for 4 months to pick up a new car as I have never ordered one previously, so I'm getting quite itchy for it to arrive. Unfortunately my delivery date is late February so the days are just crawling for me.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thank you for the reply. I had a demonstration of its operation and it seemed to work well once you practiced with it for a few times. It seems that getting the vehicle in the proper location first is the key. Thank you for the feedback.

If I might ask a few more questions. What has been your real world mpg so far. What problems if any have you experienced? What has your dealer experience been like? It has been a long time since I have had to wait for 4 months to pick up a new car as I have never ordered one previously, so I'm getting quite itchy for it to arrive. Unfortunately my delivery date is late February so the days are just crawling for me.
      February ? Lucky you... We are heading for OSD in April, so a bit more waiting time.

Have fun !
      /kleks

I am excited for you. A new car is always something to look forward to. Your car seems properly optioned. My 2017 Inscription T8 is essentially similarly optioned. I just love driving that car. It is by far the most comfortable car I can recall ever having. While the technology is high with practice it will become second nature. I am not a big fan of Pilot Assist, or Lane Keeping Aids. I do like blind spot warning and feel that is a critical feature in such a big vehicle. I am also a keen supporter of the reverse warning system. I wish it actually would brake the car in the event of a possible accident. I still enjoy driving and pay attention to what I am doing. I do not feel comfortable relying upon the car's electronics to steer me through my journey. There are just too many idiots driving around us that can easily get in our way. I do applaud the technology as it makes everyone else more safe on the road. I just purchased a Acura NSX because I miss the driving experience. While the car no longer comes with a manual transmission there is still enough to keep me occupied while driving. We turned in my Wife's Chevy Bolt when I picked up the new car. So now I am teaching her how to drive the Volvo. I am surprised as to how much stuff is in our Volvos. I decided to focus just on the driving part and her orientation to the car (where various elements of the car are in relationship to the driver). After she becomes comfortable I will introduce the various driving modes and other features of the car. Enjoy your new driver
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

21 Inch Rims
      Park Assist
      Bowers & Wilkens Audio
      Adaptive Air Suspension
      I have a 2020 T8 as you specified, however white/blonde. I added the dealer installed Polestar option.
      There is a lot of debate about the effect and value of Polestar in this configuration, however, I am here to say it is well worth it. I came from a non-Polestar 2017 T8, so I was able to make the comparison, with and without.
      It's not about speed or acceleration, rather, the smooth continuous power delivery, at all points along the curve, is remarkable.

21 Inch Rims
      Park Assist
      Bowers & Wilkens Audio
      Adaptive Air Suspension
      I have a 2020 T8 as you specified, however white/blonde. I added the dealer installed Polestar option.
      There is a lot of debate about the effect and value of Polestar in this configuration, however, I am here to say it is well worth it. I came from a non-Polestar 2017 T8, so I was able to make the comparison, with and without.
      It's not about speed or acceleration, rather, the smooth continuous power delivery, at all points along the curve, is remarkable.

If the XC90 is gonna be there in Feb, I highly doubt it can be changed. The orders get locked early in the process. My latest Feb Delivery is estimated Feb 27-March 26 and its spec was frozen a week ago. I have one for anytime between Feb 6- Mar 5... and that order was frozen on Dec 5th to give you an idea.

The good news is, you have a nice build, not really missing anything.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

No worries. It is a fascinating car.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

21" rims are rough rides. also tires are much more expensive than 20". Otherwise you got all the options.
      2017 XC90 Inscription
      2017 V90 CC

240 service to the garage if you dont already have it!! Enjoy.
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAXC90 View Post
      We could never get Park Assist to work 1.) Reliably and 2.) Quickly.

It may be that we never got enough training on it or we never got enough practice, but it was just frustrating using it in real life conditions. We were just inconveniencing people in other cards behind us. The 360 camera is an amazing parking aid, however.
      Don't forget, you are still in charge of the brakes!!! The first time we tried it my wife took all feet off all pedals and the car almost reversed itself into a tree on the sidewalk....

Quote Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
      Don't forget, you are still in charge of the brakes!!! The first time we tried it my wife took all feet off all pedals and the car almost reversed itself into a tree on the sidewalk....
      This is the show stopper. If the car can't park on its own, why would I help it to park? I'd simply park myself.

Will wait for next generation Park Assist that can steer and stop on its own.

I think the manual says that you still have to manage the brake aspect of the park assist. Seems logical to me.

In regards to anticipated mpg, I am seeing lots of data where some are seeing 45mpg to as much as 150mpg from one of the threads on this site. What is the real world mpg I should expect?
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims

In regards to anticipated mpg, I am seeing lots of data where some are seeing 45mpg to as much as 150mpg from one of the threads on this site. What is the real world mpg I should expect?
      The answer depends on so many factors because everyone's electric driving routine (hills, stop/go or highway traffic, speed, acceleration, total driving mileage, temperature, charger access, heaterAC accessories on/off) is different. What assumptions are you making? There's a thread somewhere for electric-only range if that's what is being asked.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

I think the manual says that you still have to manage the brake aspect of the park assist. Seems logical to me.

For the MPG estimation, it is around 26-30 on freeway long trip without charging.
      For daily commute and in town driving, it all depends on how far is your daily trip. If half of your trip is on battery, it can be around 40MPG. If all your trip is on battery, then it could be >100MPG as it only burns a few drops of gasoline now and then.

So here is what I am anticipating my usage to be on any given week.

100-150 miles pure mode driving of 15 mile or less round trip local trips where I can charge after each one. 100 miles of 25-50 mile round trips where I start out in all pure mode until hybrid mode takes over.

On occasion I take 150 mile highway trips where I would expect the first segment would be in pure mode, but then switch to hybrid mode, then switch back and forth to maximize efficiency. Is that the best way to hyper-mile in this vehicle?

So here is what I am anticipating my usage to be on any given week.

100-150 miles pure mode driving of 15 mile or less round trip local trips where I can charge after each one. 100 miles of 25-50 mile round trips where I start out in all pure mode until hybrid mode takes over.

On occasion I take 150 mile highway trips where I would expect the first segment would be in pure mode, but then switch to hybrid mode, then switch back and forth to maximize efficiency. Is that the best way to hyper-mile in this vehicle?
      I understand by hybrid mode you mean ICE starts to work. This is all controlled by car computer. Your choice of pure or hybrid mode in the drive mode list will help you stay in battery mode a little bit longer, but doesn't make much difference.

I can see your 15 miles round trips could be fully covered by battery. 25-50 mile trips will be half covered by battery. Your overall MPG could be around 40 I guess. On 150 mile trip, you can put it in battery hold to reserve some battery for local driving at destination. Other than that just drive in hybrid or pure mode and your MPG will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I understand by hybrid mode you mean ICE starts to work. This is all controlled by car computer. Your choice of pure or hybrid mode in the drive mode list will help you stay in battery mode a little bit longer, but doesn't make much difference.

I can see your 15 miles round trips could be fully covered by battery. 25-50 mile trips will be half covered by battery. Your overall MPG could be around 40 I guess. On 150 mile trip, you can put it in battery hold to reserve some battery for local driving at destination. Other than that just drive in hybrid or pure mode and your MPG will be just fine.
      That is very helpful. Thank you for the advice! 49 days to go.

That is very helpful. Thank you for the advice! 49 days to go.
      Just set your destination via the Sensus GPS and the car will figure out the optimal gasoline/hybrid/electric usage itself.

Find the topic in your manual titled

Energy distribution in hybrid mode using map data

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by B0000rt; 01-09-2020 at 08:10 PM.

OP, a suggestion from someone that is new to Volvo (new XC60 T8 last week), but has driven hybrids and BEV since 2005: Don’t overthink this hybrid stuff that appears to be new to you. It’s great to learn and investigate, but let the car do what’s it’s intended to in Hybrid mode at first. On the whole, it will be better balancing ICE vs Electric in Hybrid mode than what you can do. As you get used to your new Volvo with all it’s other wondrous daily-driver differences you’ll experience, and then have a few moments to begin focusing a little more on what a T8 is all about, watch the Instrument Cluster a little more as you speed-up, slow-down, put on the brakes, go up and down hills, etc... you’ll catch-on to how electric or ICE is being used, and when recharging is taking place. From there, you will begin to adapt your driving style a bit if you care about MPGe. That knowledge will be a good basis for then playing around in PURE (electric-only) mode if you want to dabble. IOW, the technology can make you feel like it’s overly complex — it is under the covers, but does not need to be to you, the driver. Some of us as enthusiasts try to help with a myriad of pointers how to eek out the most of this-or-that, but when we do with folks new to the whole electric-thing, it can come across as an awful lot you need to think about — you really don’t need to, and then, later, only if you want to. As you gain experience and want to squeek out even more MPGe, or try new things, then go for it — but no need to overthink it up front. You have plenty of new and great features to be pleased with, before you dive deeper into T8.

One other plug if you have not seen it, look at my post over in the XC60 forum from earlier this week — it’s oriented around my new XC60 T8, but so much is similar with XC90 T8, as you skim my extra long series of posts, it may give you a few other pointers to your original post and request from the community. Just skip beyond the front part on selection and shipping — much of the rest may be of some assist. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...T8-Inscription

Good luck and enjoy your new XC90 T8 next month!
      Last edited by BertL; 01-09-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Clarity
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

BertL

I am still reading your unbelievably well detailed thread! WOW! You should work for Car and Driver. I have friends over at the Drive Channel I could refer you too. Wow!

I have a long history of experience with hybrids so this isn't my first rodeo. I'm excited to get the new ride and experiment with the different drive modes for both performance and mpg reasons. I'm an analytical guy like yourself, but I'm also a total car nut and closet detail goofball. One of my friends on the Drive Channel is a world class detailer and I have learned what I know about detailing from him. I don't want to insult him as he is at a technical level beyond being a geek. He is actually a scientist with a PhD as is his wife in chemical engineering. Amazing guy. Anyway, before I decided on the Volvo XC90T8, I looked at the Land Rover, BMW, Mercedes and Lexus options. The Volvo stood out from the crowd in every measurement including value. I was shocked at the pricing on the Land Rover/Range Rover offerings by the time I optioned them up the numbers were ridiculous. I could not justify that. I have long term concerns about reliability with the BMW and MB offerings. Lexus was a hard no based on styling alone. As crazy as this sounds the financial calculus for the XC90T8 is obvious to me. MSRP of $86,490, discounted to $78,500, a $5,914 combo of Fed-State tax credits, then an anticipated $800+ savings in fuel cost per year, makes this an extraordinarily compelling, almost inexpensive choice. I drove the Maserati Levante Trofeo on a race track and that was spectacular, but $172,000? Forget that! I also drove a Jaguar iPace EV on the same track right after. It was cool but not cool enough. Then there was the Tesla X100D. Stupendous rocket, but $120k? Also I did not like the styling or the lack of a ICE engine. Also the windshield blending with the roof was sort of disorienting and distracting as a driver of that vehicle. Reliability is an unknown in my book. Not enough run time and frankly the attention to detail was not up to par. Panels were not consistent or straight. Not good. So there is my 2 cents.
      Last edited by 2020XC90T8; 01-10-2020 at 08:20 AM.

@2020XC90T8, enjoy that ride once it arrives. I’m sure you will as much as I love my little-brother XC60 T8!
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by B0000rt View Post
      Just set your destination via the Sensus GPS and the car will figure out the optimal gasoline/hybrid/electric usage itself.

Find the topic in your manual titled

Energy distribution in hybrid mode using map data

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      For a commute with no opportunity to charge at work... set your home as the destination and work as the waypoint! Maximizes for the full day.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

That is great advice! I have been studying the manual in preparations for delivery, but missed that important point. Maybe I did not get that far into the document or skipped over it for some reason. If I need help I will ask you all here for pointers. Great forum folks!

I’m blown away by that thread Bert. Holy **** man. Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kh0805 View Post
      I’m blown away by that thread Bert. Holy **** man. Very impressive.
      Bert

30. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements