Are the ventilated seats worth it?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are the ventilated seats worth it?

Hey Guys,

I've been shopping for a used 2016+ XC90 in my area for a few months now and I've found a 2017 XC90 with low miles with basically every option that I was aiming for (T8, B&W sound, air suspension, rear sun shades, cimate/convenince package etc...) and it's even in the color I want!... The only omission is that it doesn't come with ventilated seats, which from what I can tell are limited to the Inscription line and even then I'm not even sure it made it into the MY17 inscriptions.

Am I crazy for holding off on this car just for the ventilated seats? I'm coming from a super old subaru and I'm the type to hold on to cars for 10+ years so I'm willing to wait for *exactly* what I want. but having never even used ventilated seats, I'm not sure if it'd be as effective as I'm imagining it. I assume it's a very handy option especially in the hot summer days with the leather seats. But if it doesn't really help with those hot scalding leather moments, then maybe It's not worth waiting.

What do you guys with ventilates seats think?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don't have those in my XC (it's Momentum) but it's a highly desirable feature on my list - when I will get my next car. I realized that my car has 2 features that make lack of ventilated seats more toleratable - light-colored body and interior (this car definitely doest get as hot as my previous black-on-black S70) and Volvo-on-call feature that I use all the time to warm up or cool down the car.
      If I would find the car with all options (esp including colors!) I want - lack of vent seats would not be a deal-breaker for me. But again I live in Boston, not in Miami. Heated seats/steering wheels are more important here.
      Last edited by Papa_Kirlo; 01-06-2020 at 04:04 PM.
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

I would wait for it, especially since it comes with the nicer leather. Finding a car that has your options shouldn't be too hard--ventilated seats are standard on Inscription, so all you would really need to find is a T8 Inscription with B&W and air suspension, which shouldn't be too hard.
      2020 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Pine Grey/Amber
      2004 Volvo V70 R M66 Titanium Grey/Atacama

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

They are nice... and they can be used at the same time as the heated seats, which is nice in the summer if you have a sore back but don't want to sweat. To help cool the leather you can have the sunroof shade also automatically close in the summer months when parked and hot, which is nice.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

The Inscription trim has much better leather in addition to the ventilation plus the better wood and nice wheels. Once I saw the difference in just the leather quality I was sold on it and I have it in both the cars. I'm actually surprised you found an otherwise fully loaded momentum.
      2017 XC90 Inscription
      2017 V90 CC

I do not agree so much with previos opinions. I live in Spain (hot, you know) and I ordered ventilated seats. Well, they work, your bum and back become kind of refrigerated a bit. But this is at the expense of high noise, quite annoying, and at the end of the day, is does not change your life.

In two years I have not used them more than a half dozen times. Sometimes I forget about them, sometimes I switch them off very soon because of the noise.

Heating, on the other hand, works very well. I use it frequently, and is a must, I think.

To me, lack of ventilated seats is not a deal-killer issue.
      Last edited by mdmd; 01-06-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Depends on the temperature and length of summer in your area. If you live in one of the south states in US, ventilated seats are very useful. Though I am sure you can cope without it somehow. Turn on the A/C by remote start 10 minutes before entering the car, it should help a lot even without ventilated seats.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

It is all very personal, of course, but in my very humble opinion heating and cooling are not balanced on Inscription. Heating is too hot even on the lowest setting, which makes me never turn it on, and ventilation is too weak even on the highest setting. Before Inscription I had Momentum and installed aftermarket seat ventilation there for $200. Yes, it was noisy, but it was powerful! It almost created an air cushion between the seat and my bum. Comparing to that built-in ventilation I can barely feel. Better than nothing, of course, but I'd prefer to be able to make it times more powerful. Oh well, there is no perfection in this life. I guess I just need to consider myself hot ass

it's noisy, but keeps you cool when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_yellow View Post
      Hey Guys,

I've been shopping for a used 2016+ XC90 in my area for a few months now and I've found a 2017 XC90 with low miles with basically every option that I was aiming for (T8, B&W sound, air suspension, rear sun shades, cimate/convenince package etc...) and it's even in the color I want!... The only omission is that it doesn't come with ventilated seats, which from what I can tell are limited to the Inscription line and even then I'm not even sure it made it into the MY17 inscriptions.

Am I crazy for holding off on this car just for the ventilated seats? I'm coming from a super old subaru and I'm the type to hold on to cars for 10+ years so I'm willing to wait for *exactly* what I want. but having never even used ventilated seats, I'm not sure if it'd be as effective as I'm imagining it. I assume it's a very handy option especially in the hot summer days with the leather seats. But if it doesn't really help with those hot scalding leather moments, then maybe It's not worth waiting.

Thanks!

why would you ever settle? If you dont get what you want all you are going to have is regret for the next 5-7 years.
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

Noise in ours occurs only on highest speed. Cools just fine. And can be used at the same time as heated seats which is nice when driving a long distance. Wait for them.

I have both an S60, fully loaded in Inscription trim, and an XC60 fully loaded in momentum trim (and yes, it was one of the only ones in this config in the country!).

I don't honestly regret skipping out on the Inscription features, given the price delta I faced at the time? Spent plenty of hours on long road trips and love my momentum seats.

That said... The inscription seats are quite nice. As is the leatherette upper dashboard area. The cooled seats are nice, and I basically leave them on low continously, as I find them too loud on high unless it's a really hot day.

What I do really miss about the Inscription seats is the massage, the adjustable bolsters, and perhaps most importantly for me, the adjustable leg length thing in front of the seat.

Oh and the "base" stereo on my '18 XC60 is much worse than the base "Harman Kardon" audio in the' 19 S60 inscription.

At first... I was so annoyed I "cheaped out" (though, bought it at 30 with my own money, so 54K didn't seem all that cheap, lol)... But then I started to just really appreciate how good these SPA Volvos are... And I mostly forgot about it.

Point being... If you can find one... The inscription is certainly nicer, but a fully loaded momentum is also plenty nice, especially if you're coming from a less premium brand.
      2018 XC 60 | T6 AWD P* | Momentum | Onyx Black/Amber | Convenience/Vision/Advanced/Nav/Cold Weather

Sorry, but I would have to disagree with the majority of previous posters. I had two SPA Inscription Volvos with the ventilated leather seats, and I found that the Nappa leather was very thin and extremely uncomfortable and painful after about an hour of travel, both because of the much thinner leather and the metal components of the seat extension, which could be felt through the leather. The Nappa leather also developed wrinkles and folds after a short period of time, which was visually unattractive.

I ditched my 2017 S90 Inscription as soon as possible before lease end and replaced it with a 2020 V60 Momentum, which has much thicker and more comfortable leather seats with no seat extension and hidden metal bars. It is much more comfortable on longer trips. I don't really miss the ventilation feature all that much, although that may be less of an issue here in NE than it would be in warmer states with hotter summers. IAE, it was possible to option up the Momentum so that it had most of the Inscription amenities, although the gotcha was that it cost virtually as much as a similarly-equipped Inscription. However, I was happy to make the trade-off in order to get the much more comfortable and thicker Momentum seats.
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

I'm driving an xc90 inscription since july 2015 with ventilated seats, my experience soar:
      - it makes a lot of difference, even on level 2
      - level 3 (full power) is more effective but also quite noisy so I tend to stay on 2 (unless it is reaaaaaally hot)
      - the system works by sucking air in through the perforated leather, not by blowing air out (just to be clear as one earlier poster mentioned that his 3rd party kit was creating a sort of air cushion)!
      In short: I've ordered them on my new dec 19 xc90 as well.
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by chmax View Post
      I'm driving an xc90 inscription since july 2015 with ventilated seats, my experience soar:
      - it makes a lot of difference, even on level 2
      - level 3 (full power) is more effective but also quite noisy so I tend to stay on 2 (unless it is reaaaaaally hot)
      - the system works by sucking air in through the perforated leather, not by blowing air out (just to be clear as one earlier poster mentioned that his 3rd party kit was creating a sort of air cushion)!
      In short: I've ordered them on my new dec 19 xc90 as well.
      My XC60 pushes air out not draws it in, or at least thats how it feels to me.

It was a must have for my xc 60..and my wife doesn't allow me to forget that..as it kills her that in the hot months here in Md I ride my motorcycle 99% of the time,lol But it is a nice item that once you have it, you don't want to lose it.

Pretty sure it blows the air out.....keep in mind they dont get super cold, but enough to make a difference.
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

The ventilated seats might be nice if you don't have kids. However your dealers service department will tell you that they have LOT of people unhappy with liquids and other matter in the pores of these seats (even from people without kids). This was one of the reasons we stayed away from the inscription. My ideal seat would have the extending thigh support but no ventilation feature.
      2019 XC90 T6 Polestar✦ Momentum (Advanced Package; Heated Wheel; 20" Wheels) - Denim Blue/Amber

It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me – honestly, it is very unlikely that you will find a pre-owned car with the exact configuration that you want for a good price and in good conditions. That would be lots of luck!
      Anyway, I live in Brazil (very sunny warm country) and I don’t have ventilated seats in my Silver Momentum (but I do have extendable sets). It has blond leather interior, which I initially didn’t want due to high militance requirements and I am now very happy with it – my XC90 gets much fresher in sunny and hot days here in Brazil if compared to my wife’s black Passat with black and ventilated seats. So, if you are concerned about the temperature inside the car on hot and sunny days, I would say that choosing light colors for the car (inside and outside) makes more difference than ventilated seats.

Hey Guys,

Thanks!
      IMO get that car now. T8 are a low production car so not a lot to choose from and if it's only missing the ventilated seats, I'd buy the car now, as you may never find everything else you want again.

That being said, in MY17 T8 and MY20 T8 I love and use the Ventilated seats in the summer (SoCal).
      Last edited by sdedson; 01-07-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      It was a must have for my xc 60..and my wife doesn't allow me to forget that..as it kills her that in the hot months here in Md I ride my motorcycle 99% of the time,lol But it is a nice item that once you have it, you don't want to lose it.

Pretty sure it blows the air out.....keep in mind they dont get super cold, but enough to make a difference.
      page 299 of the xc90 owner's manual:
      ...The ventilation system consists of fans in the seats and backrests that draw air through the seat upholstery. The cooling effect ...

at least in the xc90 it doesn't blows ... and probably it is like this to avoid potentially blowing particles (dust, whatever) in the face of the driver, so everything gets sucked under the seat.
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

Hey Guys,

Thanks!
      I have ventilated seats. I don't use them but my son loves them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

We have the ventilated seats in both of our SPA cars. I use them year round, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. They are a nice to have, but I don't use them enough for them to be a must have. In the summer they are nice when it is hot out, especially with the dark colored leather, and in the winter I use them when driving back form skiing or anything similar where you work up a sweat. As others have said, you can have both the heat and ventilation on at the same time, but again, its a nice to have. The inscription leather is much softer, but as other have said, probably not as durable as the momentum leather and the holes in the seats tend to catch crumbs and dirt. They can be easily vacuumed out, but just another thing to clean. I have a toddler, so this is a pretty regular occurrence. As for comfort, I have never driven a momentum long distance, but I have done 5 hours up to NH for a ski trip in our V90 and 6 hours to Maine on vacation in the summer in our XC90 and had little to no fatigue other than normal stiffness from sitting for that long. Personally, the seats are the most comfortable I have ever had in a car.

I would go check the seats out at a dealer and see if it really means that much to you. If the car has everything else you want, it may be a while before you come across one that checks all the boxes.
      2013 S60 T5 w/ BLIS
      2016 XC90 T6 Inscription w/ Climate Package, Convenience Package and Vision Package
      2018 V90CC T6 w/ Luxury Package, B&W, Convenience Package, Protection Package and Advanced Package
      2008 Subaru Legacy Spec.B - Sold

White vehicle with tan leather in TX. I've never wanted for ventilated seats and I use ECO climate 100% of the time.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

I’ll never have another car without ventilated seats. “Drops mic”
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey54 View Post

I’ll never have another car without ventilated seats. “Drops mic”
      I only used it a handful of times in the mild summer here last year. But still good to have it.

Or I would get B&W if not the ventilated seats.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by FusionRedXC60; 01-08-2020 at 11:25 PM.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Absolutely worth it.

This car was my first ever experience with the seat venting pulling the air out of the seat and WOW it's a whole new world. If you're going to have leather seats on a long drive, I think it's a must-have feature.
      2017 XC90 T6 Inscription

What trim offers it? I used to have it on my '07 S80 Sport. Great option for summer.
      '19 Volvo XC90 R-Design, Bursting Blue, AWD, Polestar
      '19 Nissan 370Z, Deep Blue Pearl, Heritage Edition, 6-speed

I found the ventilated seats a little too noisy so I went with R-Design seats instead.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Statistically, 71.6% of Americans were overweight/obese in 2016 (estimated to be 85% by 2030).

Perhaps, that explains the strong preference for ventilated seats (excessive perspiration)?
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

I live in Florida and yes, it is worth it. The blower fan can get a little noisy - but it isn't obtrusive.
      2020 V60cc / Advanced / Pro / Luxury / HK audio /P* Optimized / Foldable trailer hitch

I am a fan of mine but don't know that I'd let a vehicle pass that checked all my other boxes because it didn't have them. I considered passing on my CPO '16 XC90 T6 Inscription because it didn't have the B&W stereo but I'm thankful that I did not. Awesome "nice to have", but don't know that you will regret not holding out for them.

Central Floridian here and I use it all the time, doesn't matter if its 105 or 45. 6'2 175 so not a weight thing. The best way I've found to keep the interior cooler in the summer is to park facing the sun put up the sunscreen then crack open the sunroof to let the heat out. It easily keeps it 20* cooler.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

I wouldn't buy another car without them; I run mine on speed 2 so the noise is not an issue.
      They aren't incredibly noticeable - until you drive a loaner that doesn't have them!
      2016 XC90 Inscription Osmium Grey on Charcoal
      B/W CarPlay Convenience Climate Vision 21"

Hey Guys,

Thanks!
      Ventilated seats are awesome.
      But pleas stay away from air suspension. It’s good for lease , but long term it will give you nightmares.
      No matter which car you get or who supplies the system it will fail often and expensive
      2018 XC80 T8 Inscription

2011 XC60 R Design

1999 E55 AMG

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast