How do I fix IPD exhaust drone?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

How do I fix IPD exhaust drone?

Hi all, installed the IPD exhaust on my V70R. I love it around town--sounds great and gives me the excitement I felt was missing from the factory.

However, on the highway, it is absolutely unbearable. from about 2-4k RPM it drones endlessly; if going up a hill it gets even worse. Passengers have asked if there's something wrong with my car...

Is there anyway to solve this without going back to the stock exhaust? I love the added noise at lower speeds but to me it's absolutely not worth it for what happens on the highway--roadtrips are now miserable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
      2020 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Pine Grey/Amber
      2004 Volvo V70 R M66 Titanium Grey/Atacama

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

O have the same issue, I was able to make it a bit better by using Dyna mat sound deadening all under the back trunk cover. Also planning on wrapping the exhaust in some sound/heat deadinging next time I take it off. Good luck tho definitely not a road trip happy exhaust note.

I also made sure that the tips of the exhaust we're stuck out as far as I could I noticed it was worse when the tips were matched evenly to the bumper

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

My current exhaust is an IPD V70R one I bought used from a guy in my area who had welded in an addition muffler of some sort. Its only slightly larger than the diameter of the rest of the exhaust and is welded about half way down the length of it. I don't have a ridiculous amount of drone so maybe give it a shot.
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic
      The $900 daily. IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts, Everything Else OEM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I legit filled the rear compartments with sound deadening mats. Like maybe 20 or 30 of them. It helped.... a little.

#WagonTunerLife

As far as I can tell it's the open cavity of the wagon back that just reverberates the sound back and forth. I will at some point go to an exhaust shop and see if they have any ideas but I just roll the windows down( even a little stops the reverberating) and some music. Also make sure all your clamps are tight I had a loose one that was right in the center of the car and when I tightened it I felt less vibration from it.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Look into Hemholtz resonators, should fix it right up.

Vibrant resonaters are popular, but I can't speak to them personally. Could also try getting a quieter muffler. Both options will require some light fabrication that your local exhaust shop should be able to handle without issue.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      2005 S60R M66 MAGIKAP

To be perfectly honest, your best options is probably to sell the IPD catback and buy an EST touring exhaust. I have the EST touring exhaust on my V70R and I love it. It is noticeably (in a good way) throatier around town and tame at highway cruising speeds.

That said, if you are set on sticking with the IPD exhaust, then one option would be to either replace the small resonator with a single longer resonator or try adding an additional resonator after the existing one. You would have to measure the distance between the flange on your downpipe and the start of the oval section of the exhaust to see what is feasible.

There are many, many threads on here about people trying to reduce the drone on their IPD exhaust, so a search should turn up some additional useful information about what has been tried and succeeded/failed.

If you want to look into the Helmholtz resonator option that sleepstate mentioned, you might find some useful information in these threads:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-exhaust-drone

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7410435

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...e-(need-input)

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...with-a-Muffler

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...custom-exhaust

Here is one solution that CDN XC90 used on his XC90:

04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

I'm dealing with the same problem. I swapped the resonator for a Vibrant muffler. It helped with the drone but I think my engine mounts need to be replaced.

However, the muffler is too heavy and it's sagging. It scrapes over bumps and curbs. I'm planning on replacing it with a Vibrant large diameter resonator.

Last edited by bentobox; 01-08-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Mine was fine on my S60R with the IPD catted downpipe... after replacing the cat once after it clogged, the replacement clogged again (confirmed by serious loss of boost until I disconnected the dp)...so I gutted the cat and it ran great. However, this resulted in some considerable drone. I don't know if those getting the drone have cats or not, but in my case it wasn't until I effectively deleted the cat.

I do have a second muffler that handles the passenger side exhaust exit since I have a dual/quad tip setup but it was opening the cat that lead to the drone. All said, my wife hates it but I have grown to love it...it just sounds too good on full tilt not to. I'm just that guy with the Volvo around here LOL.
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

The TME is the BEST solution, had the IPD and I'm so glad I sold it and went with the TME. I also dropped in Qmat sound deadening in the whole cabin and installed laminated windows which also help.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Stock exhaust with resonator delete. Doesn’t drone. Great with or without a downpipe. Sell the IPD stuff to someone who wants a loud ass car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 197k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 291k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 174k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 238k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 212k - Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by jonkoping View Post
      Hi all, installed the IPD exhaust on my V70R. I love it around town--sounds great and gives me the excitement I felt was missing from the factory.

However, on the highway, it is absolutely unbearable. from about 2-4k RPM it drones endlessly; if going up a hill it gets even worse. Passengers have asked if there's something wrong with my car...

Is there anyway to solve this without going back to the stock exhaust? I love the added noise at lower speeds but to me it's absolutely not worth it for what happens on the highway--roadtrips are now miserable.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
      I had the IPD exhaust too and like you, I loved the sound when I was "on it", however like you I couldn't stand the drone on the highway... What did I do? I sold my IPD exhaust and bought a TME
      2005 Volvo V70R ("Veee") - (2016 - Present) 117,xxx miles
      --- 8Eight Fab Catted Downpipe, TME Catback Exhaust, New 4C Struts & TME Springs, Hilton Stage 2, Mud flaps and a Tow hitch
      1998 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon ("Lucy") - 242,xxx miles - (2011-2016) SOLD
      2006 Subaru Impreza STi ("Molly") - Trackcar, One Lap of America class winner (x2!) - (2008-2016) SOLD
      1995 Subaru SVX ("Gumby") - Childhood dream car - (2001-2008)SOLD

Turn up the stereo?

I haven't been on the highway in my R since installing the IPD exhaust. This has me concerned haha.
      Last edited by Body Massage; 01-07-2020 at 09:54 AM.
      2005 V70R

2010 C30 R-Design

I am still pleasantly surprised by how little drone there is with the Magnaflow setup on my car (from previous owner).

That said, if I were the OP I'd look at a variable muffler, something with a switch to shut it up on the highway or when you're leaving for work in the morning and don't want to piss off the neighbors, but growly when you want it.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

I used a fairly large oval section Vibrant resonator in place of the ipd resonator. That resolved the majority of the drone. It's still a little drone-y but none of the really bad, resonant drone that was there with the ipd originally. I also liked how the bigger resonator reduced the volume somewhat. I replaced my downpipe at the same time and a high flow downpipe plus the ipd made the exhaust really loud initially.

Maybe it's because my tires are worn out and SUPER loud, but I never thought the drone to be excessive? I've got a 3" downpipe to boot.
      04 V70R Flash Green/Atacama6MT

TME or ESt touring. If not try a longer center resonator. MagnaFlow 14419

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XQJZBG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks all for the quick replies and advice! I don't really trust my own tinkering skills so I may get a different exhaust and sell this one. I will miss the way it sounds OFF the highway though...
      2020 Volvo S60 T6 AWD Pine Grey/Amber
      2004 Volvo V70 R M66 Titanium Grey/Atacama

My driveway has a slight incline. I actually roll my car down it until it gets to the street before I fire it up in the morning since I leave extremely early and don't want to piss off the neighbors or wake my kids... gotta love it!
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

Quote Originally Posted by jonkoping View Post
      Thanks all for the quick replies and advice! I don't really trust my own tinkering skills so I may get a different exhaust and sell this one. I will miss the way it sounds OFF the highway though...
      Jw, do you have E5 Laminated Glass? Check an see. A good amount of 04's have them, that said I don't think the rear cabin windows were E5 an the rear drone is a lot more on the VR.
      06R - Custom Electric Blue Silver - Suntek PPF / IGL Kenzo Coated / Llumar Airblue 80 / Huper Optic 40
      07R - Magic Blue IGL - Sold

Changing the resonator is an easy fix and not that expensive- just take it to a local shop that has a decent TIG welding guy and you're all set.

My problem seems to be a drone sound and vibration at idle. It goes away when I'm on the gas. Every time at a stoplight, I get this droning and vibration in my head that's makes me want to run the red light to get the drone to stop.

After some research, I believe my problem is caused by worn out engine mounts. So, I'm going to replace the mounts and the resonator.

The resonator and parts came in today! The pipe extension and clamps are not Vibrant. See pics.

For 550.00 USD I had a shop install a custom cat-back with 36 inch resonator and packed muffler. It is a little louder than I would like but it does not drone, a nice shop should be able to fix your exhaust for a relatively low cost. Or, go TME....

Just get rid of it. You described the experience perfectly. Great when you want it, miserable when you don't.
      2004 V70R MT TiGray/Nordkap - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2006 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 1999 F250 Powerstroke, 2005 TSX, 1997 Bonneville, 1998 Concorde

Quote Originally Posted by TristanScott View Post
      My current exhaust is an IPD V70R one I bought used from a guy in my area who had welded in an addition muffler of some sort. Its only slightly larger than the diameter of the rest of the exhaust and is welded about half way down the length of it. I don't have a ridiculous amount of drone so maybe give it a shot.
      This is your solution, it's called a Helmholtz resonator. You download an app for you phone that measures where frequencies are the loudest and go drive on the highway. When the drone starts you can look at the graph to determine the frequency that is causing the most drone (it will be the biggest spike) that information will tell you how long your resonator needs to be. The resonator is just a piece of pipe welded into the exhaust system, mine is welded into the exhaust pipe before the muffler and it's literally just a piece of pipe with a cap welded on. I have the IPD oval and it sounds great accelerating and around town but the drone was unbearable on the highway. My resonator way reduced drone and didn't change the around the town wail that I like, it's like magic. PM me if you want more info

Quote Originally Posted by fwchiro View Post
      This is your solution, it's called a Helmholtz resonator. You download an app for you phone that measures where frequencies are the loudest and go drive on the highway. When the drone starts you can look at the graph to determine the frequency that is causing the most drone (it will be the biggest spike) that information will tell you how long your resonator needs to be. The resonator is just a piece of pipe welded into the exhaust system, mine is welded into the exhaust pipe before the muffler and it's literally just a piece of pipe with a cap welded on. I have the IPD oval and it sounds great accelerating and around town but the drone was unbearable on the highway. My resonator way reduced drone and didn't change the around the town wail that I like, it's like magic. PM me if you want more info

That's awesome, I'm familiar with that concept because I'm dabbling in acoustic treatment for my control room and my recording room for my home studio. Had no idea the placement of the resonator could be calculated like that. Very cool.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic
      The $900 daily. IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts, Everything Else OEM.

A Helmholtz resonator looks like an extra branch of exhaust pipe coming off of the main pipe and dead-ending. That's not what is described- most likely the bigger Vibrant resonator like I have on my exhaust.

I had the EST sport and even that was too loud on the highway. I have the EST touring and sure it's more bearable, but I dont get the burbles, bangs, and deep tone anymore. Im assuming if you quiet yours down you will also get the same results I have.

If that hemholtz resonator actually works....I want one.
      05 V70R BSM, 6MT

Wow, this is surprising. I have the IPD exhaust, as well as the their downpipe, and it has been nothing short of fantastic. No drone. My S70 GLT (may it rest in peace), had a TME exhaust and that droned like crazy.
      I've had the IPD exhaust on my R for over 10 years - I wonder if something changed in the design.
      V70R -04 MT, 18" IPD Pegs, IPD Tune, IPD DP+Cat back, FMIC, Eibachs, IPD Sways
      XC90 V8-05, 18" Atlantis, Bilsteins (Front), IPD Sways, RSE, Nav
      240 Classic Wagon -93 AT, 17" IPD Nebs, TME Springs, Bilsteins, IPD Sways

So just to follow up with some more details for folks. There is a free app called Spectroid that I downloaded that shows the frequency of sounds around you. I started the app and drove around watching the graph of frequencies, when you hear the drone that annoys the crap out of you you just look to see where the biggest spike in the graph is occurring, that will be the major contributor to the drone.

Now for some math: I found that my drone was caused by the 100 Hz range. So I plugged it into the following equation:

343/drone frequency/4=j pipe length in meters

So, 343/100/4=.85 meter j pipe (I use "j pipe" and "Helmholtz resonator" interchangeably, I'm sure there is someone that can give a 1000 word essay on how they are different, I'm not an acoustic expert)

I converted .85 meters to 33.5 inches, cause I'm 'murican and made a visit to the muffler shop. There I told them to weld in a j pipe 33.5" long into the exhaust pipe before the muffler.

The j pipe does some resonance magic that suppresses the frequency it's tuned to suppress but doesn't really reduce other frequencies. The wail from acceleration is more 150+ hz and that is not really affected by the j pipe, just around the 100 hz drone range for me.

Your drone may be a different frequency, so make sure your j pipe is tuned for your car. Best $75 spent on my car, good luck, I'll try to attach a picture if I can figure out how
      Last edited by fwchiro; 01-20-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irollturbo View Post
      Wow, this is surprising. I have the IPD exhaust, as well as the their downpipe, and it has been nothing short of fantastic. No drone. My S70 GLT (may it rest in peace), had a TME exhaust and that droned like crazy.
      I've had the IPD exhaust on my R for over 10 years - I wonder if something changed in the design.
      The new(er) IPD exhaust for the R is biiiiig(3.5").

Didn't they used to have an exhaust that was similar to everyone else's? Two 2.5" pipes, resonator and muffler?
      2005 V70R

2010 C30 R-Design

I want to say that Vibrant makes the exhaust for IPD, not entirely sure though. I would grab one as they are local and on sale but all this drone talk makes that a "no". I dont want to spend more money to have a decent sized resonator
      installed.

OP. What not have an exhaust shop weld one in? Like the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator?

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements