Selecting & First Impressions of My 2020 XC60 T8 Inscription - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      By the way - did you actually get a paper owners manual or is the whole thing digital now?

Admittedly, I've read 0 pages of the owners manual. But I wonder how you were able to skim yours so detailed haha.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      By the way - did you actually get a paper owners manual or is the whole thing digital now? Admittedly, I've read 0 pages of the owners manual. But I wonder how you were able to skim yours so detailed haha.
      Like most mfgrs in the past few years, only minimal “quick summary” paper manuals come with the XC60. I’d expect that from Volvo these days regardless, because of their environmental bent that includes saving a tree. The rest of the docs are on the Volvo site in PDF form, along with some useful FAQs and how-to or tech videos at https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/homeV3, or via the free Volvo Manual app for iOS (and I suspect Android too, IDK). I downloaded and read the PDF for the 2020 XC60 T8 before my test drive so I could check-out and ask questions on a few things. While I was waiting for the car to be delivered, I made my way through it 2 more times on my iPad during commercial breaks, along with the separate Nav Manual. I know I’m far from the norm doing all that, but it kept me engaged while I was waiting and keeping up on SwedeSpeed, and I then tend to know most of what I’m getting before I order (vs some other owners that come on forums like this and complain about this and that missing or not operating to their expectations, because I bet they bought off-the-lot without investigating things that were significant to them before signing-on the dotted line — I try to help when I can, but don’t have a lot of sympathy for complainers using expletives. )

BTW, Porsche has zero manuals online for a prospective buyer. Very disappointing. Despite my liking the looks and some of the marketing brugh-ha-ha, with it’s take-your-breath-away pricing as you run their configurator and add a few options, I had ZERO way to evaluate details what I may be getting before I even went to a dealer to look. Porsche went out of contention because of that, before my final short-list, especially when their customer service never responded when I asked for an electronic copy of the Macan manual. I wouldn’t be able to get the same amount of detail for each little thing going for 2-3 test drives and talking for hours with a sales rep, as I do from reading a decent manual. IMO, auto sales reps and people help clarify usability, not generally from my experience, the detailed specs and functionally a manual is designed for — but then again, I’m an aging-geek that grew up in the first years of my career with rows and rows of computer manuals, using punched cards, before there was a PDF. What can I say?
      Last edited by BertL; 01-08-2020 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

BertL, thanks for the great writeup. I thought I was long-winded lol. I appreciate the detail you included and the heads up that you would be doing this in long form. Just thought I'd add my list of things I'd want as well. This is copy/pasted for a post that I started here (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...T6-Inscription)

Some of you have read my previous post about coming from Japanese cars to this Volvo; specifically a 2013 GS350 F Sport to this XC60.
      (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...light=japanese)

Let me first say, I really have learned to love this vehicle and being my first non-sedan it's been very useful. However two months in (to the day) here are my thoughts on what I'd change, what concerns me (still), and some superficial/potentially unreasonable and impractical desires.

1. I'd like more low end torque.
      2. Better gas mileage
      3. Wider rear tires (I just love the muscular look of those wider rear tires on many BMWs SUVs)
      4. I'd like numerical pressure readouts for each tire like my GS350.
      5. I wish the drive mode selector was a one-step process instead of three. Perhaps a simple knob to pick one quickly and for it to remember my choice.
      6. The rear cup holders rattle too much and need sound dampening material when nothing is in them when they're left out (as my kids like to leave them).
      7. I'd like a real instrument cluster rather than digital (except for the alerts and such).
      8. I miss having the gas tank door on the left side.
      9. The trunk pass-through door needs a different latch system. It doesn't open easily when the latch is pulled down. Would love being able to open it from the back seat too.
      10. Adjustable headrests would be nice and for that matter some kind of adapter for other tablet mounts. The kind I want and have on my other vehicle (where the tablet can sit behind the headrest or extend to the middle between the seats for both rear passengers - think two people playing the same Nintendo Switch) won't fit on this headrest and I can't find any product for this Volvo that does the same. I'd have to rig some components from Home Depot.
      11. The Sensus voice needs a serious upgrade. It's too mechanical (IMO) for this day and age where we have Siri, Alexa, etc. My wife's 2006 Acura TSX voice system is vastly superior, even better than our GS350.
      12. The overhead sun screen/shade (near the front where it's tapered to the metal) seems like it'll tear easily at some point.
      13. Need information on caring for the wood (i have the driftwood). Will it crack over time? Does it need to be oiled?
      14. The cacophony of dings, pings, metal pops, creeks after parking and shutting the vehicle off still REALLY concerns me. What causes this? Why has no Japanese car I've ever owned since 1987 ever done this? Is this at all indicative of quality breakdown over the long term? (update - this no longer happens as much as of 01/15/2019)
      15. The idle sound of this vehicle is pretty loud while having a deep guttural quality. Probably normal for this vehicle just surprising.
      16. I can't wash the car without the mirrors constantly folding in/out when water hits the handles.

Did I mention I love this vehicle?

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription/ Advanced Package/ Nappa Leather/ Osmium Grey Metallic
      Last edited by tangierc; 01-15-2020 at 11:54 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

For #16...I leave the FOB in the car when I wash it....mirrors stay put.....or I put the FOB out of range of the vehicle. And u can always deselect the mirrors folding capability in sensus.
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      For #16...I leave the FOB in the car when I wash it....mirrors stay put.....or I put the FOB out of range of the vehicle. And u can always deselect the mirrors folding capability in sensus.
      Yes, was just going to say same thing. My former Lexus, MBZ and Tesla all did the same thing — it’s an issue with the basic tech all mfgrs use. I just leave my FOB out of range while I wash. A habit I got into years ago and still continue with my XC60 T8.
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

@BertL - thanks for the detailed review and your reasons for choosing the option/tech/etc.

While my wife drives a 2011 X3, she has been eyeing the XC60. Mostly due to the overall size being similar to the X3 and the look. I'm a fan of the 2018 and later model (due to the appearance), such as yours, but, since neither of us have test driven the vehicle, who knows if one is in our future or not. Once again, your write-up was helpful in showing one person's choice and the reasons to support that choice.
      2004 XC70 Nautic Blue over Oak
      (plus five other cars, a truck, and a trailer)

@alfa63, glad it was helpful ...it was long, for sure. . I think you may be pleasantly surprised as I was, once I did read a lot, watched a zillion videos, and got down to a shortlist of vehicles to explore in-person. Once I had a good “book feel” for what I thought I may be after, being able to touch and feel made all the difference for me. Good luck to you and your wife as you explore future options!
      Bert

I am anal retentive, and thus enjoyed your summation. I read it in its entirety. I also had never driven or considered owning a Volvo. Now I am a devoted owner. I am sure you are aware of the Diamond Lane Stickers that the XC60 qualifies for. As soon as you get your plates you can apply via the DMV. Also there have been changes in the State rebates centering around income level as well as previous rebates. So we did not get anything for the XC90 T8 purchase. There is a healthy rebate from SCE (not sure who provided electrical service to your area of Northern SD. And of course the Federal Tax benefit of $5000 is there for the asking.

Our Great Pyrenes is probably a bit larger and thus fits nicely into the rear of our XC90 with the third row folded. I especially liked the vents that are for the rear area that you mentioned are unique to the XC90 vs XC60. That was a decision point for us. We also have had 4 BEV as well as three Hybrids and now the first PHEV (XC90) so a similar experience. In fact when we were contemplating the replacement for the Chevy Bolt EV we test drove the Tesla S as well as the X. Found both to be a bit large. My wife wanted something a bit smaller and easier to maneuver. We considered a XC60 T8 but felt we already had that area covered. Things were getting touch and go as our Jan 15th date for the return of the Chevy Bolt drew near.

We decided on the XC40 Recharge and I placed a deposit for that car. My wife really wanted to get the Soul EV similar to her 2015 Soul EV. We expected that car to debut in early 2020. As it turns out the XC40 Recharge is probably going to come out in 4th quarter 2020 and the Kia Soul EV is now slated as a 2021. So this presented a real dilemma. Finally in talking to some of our friends, my wife seemed supportive of my getting another sports car to replace the 2001 NSX I had for 14 years. But it had to be electric in nature. Given the new NSX is a Hybrid, I decided to take her favorable support and jump back into the NSX. So now I am supportively helping my wife transition from the Chevy Bolt EV to the Volvo XC90 T8. She is liking it more every time she drives it. I feel it is a safe car for her and I am enjoying my end of life crisis NSX. Oh I am on Medicare and am loving it. So glad to have you as a Volvo
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

@drmanny3, appreciate the feedback. Yes, I’m aware of the rebates, stickers, and such having come from a Model S — sadly as you say, CA rebates are gone for people that can likely afford more expensive PHEV & BEV now, and here in Southern Cal, the SDG&E rebate is also gone starting this year, but the Federal credit is there at least for now (my dealer brought the car in earlier from the Delivery Center so I could take delivery 12/30 and take my tax credit in 2019, vs wait another year and pray our politicians don’t get ride of the rebate this year. ) Enjoy your NSX — I’m sure you’re wife will love the XC90 T8 as her daily driver as well.
      Bert

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I've read a lot of Internet forum posts over the years, but this is the most detailed one I've ever seen. Yes, I skimmed it. Kudos Burt for writing so much and congrats on your T8!
      I couldn’t agree more...I have been an active participant here for the past 18+ yrs and I have seen some really good write ups but Bert’s is an all time best. The degree of detail and organization is simply astounding!
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2019 V90 Cross Country Osmium Grey metallic w/ Charcoal L, Advance, Retractable Tow Hitch, Polestar, 19" wheels
      2019 S60 T6 AWD Inscription Black w/ Maroon/Brown L, Advanced, Heated Seats/Steering, Charcoal Headliner, Park Assist Pilot, 4C, Ext Styling Kit, 19" wheels, Polestar

@BertL wrote:

Use of Metals; Harder & Softer Plastics and Man-made Materials

• Unlike some other vehicles, I have found few places in my XC60 that bother me where synthetic leather or harder plastics have been used. If there were one place where leather would be a better choice, it would be on the sides of the center console -- it's an an area that is touched and seen often. IMO Volvo did a good job balancing design, cost & durability with the XC60 Inscription. While perhaps subtle, this is one of the things I mentally noted as a difference between XC40 and XC60 — XC60 is just a bit more luxurious with interior materials when you look closely. Other posts lead me to believe XC90 owners say the same thing comparing to an XC60.
      • Love the felt-like coating on the inside door storage which helps reduce clatter traveling down the road

So are the interiors of the XC90 and XC60 different in that respect? I also have the lux package on my 2017. That package gives you the massaging seats as well as leather sun visors, and leather covered assist handles and alcantara on the pilars. It also included the leather dash. So on my car the whole dash is leather covered I believe. It is probably a bonded leather meant to take direct sunlight? On another note, I suspected that you were from IT or have an IT background. Early in my career I spent 17 weeks learning Cobalt training with Atlantic Richfield (ARCO). Again excellent write up. I would think that Volvo Corporate would enjoy/benefit reading your critique.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

The 2017 is not a SPA model and isn't real relevant to the comparison.

For the SPA models, there is relatively little difference between the XC60 and XC90. The glove box is padded on the XC90 and hard cheapish plastic on the XC60. The XC90 has more wood trim (although I think that is mostly because it is wider).

I tend to like the XC90 interior somewhat more, but it's not a huge difference in material quality.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post

For the SPA models, there is relatively little difference between the XC60 and XC90. The glove box is padded on the XC90 and hard cheapish plastic on the XC60. The XC90 has more wood trim (although I think that is mostly because it is wider).

I tend to like the XC90 interior somewhat more, but it's not a huge difference in material quality.
      I'm pretty sure the 2017 XC90, which is what drmanny3 lists in his signature, is an SPA vehicle.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Again information that is incorrect , or maybe Volvo is lying on its official site
      https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...dels/xc90/2017

The XC90 is a premium seven-seat SUV designed to deliver a luxurious user experience, whilst retaining the ride height, space and practicality that typifies this segment.

The XC90 is the first car to be built on the new Scalable Product Architecture (SPA), Volvo’s advanced modular product platform that will underpin all new Volvo cars in the 90 and 60 Series.
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Great catch!

I'm pretty sure it is as well! My understanding is that the SPA XC60 was two years earlier than the XC90.

I thought he was comparing the Pre-Spa XC60 because I was too much of a dummy to treat his signature.

If the SPA platform is that old, it sorry if makes you wonder if the XC60 is headed for a MMC don't rather than later!

@drmanny3, thanks for the feedback. I can’t really respond to XC90 comparisons, as I was initially torn between the size of XC40 and XC60 that better fit my needs, and didn’t give XC90 more than a quick look inside on the showroom floor.

Yes, I too was a COBOL programmer out of college at a University/Medical Center here in SoCal for a few years, then spent another 30 in systems engineering, tech support, quality, project & contract mgmt, ops and the like — I’ll never get reading manuals, consolidating & prioritizing material, creating bullets & checklists, etc out of my DNA. I don’t remember specifics, but am sure I made at least a couple technical calls on ARCO in Los Angeles in the late 80’s/early 90’s related to mainframes & systems software — funny how things go round-and-round, and sometimes reconnect.

My best.
      Bert

Great catch!

I'm pretty sure it is as well! My understanding is that the SPA XC60 was two years earlier than the XC90.

I thought he was comparing the Pre-Spa XC60 because I was too much of a dummy to treat his signature.

If the SPA platform is that old, it sorry if makes you wonder if the XC60 is headed for a MMC don't rather than later!
      Timeline of SPA platform:

Official Models (First Model Year):

-XC90 - 2016 (debuted 2015)
      -S90 - 2017 (debuted 2016)
      -V90 - 2017 (debuted 2 months after S90)
      -V90CC - 2017 (debuted a few months after V90)
      -Polestar 1 - 2020 (debuted October 17th, 2017)
      -S90L - 2017/2018 (China Market first mid-2017, USA 2018)
      -XC60 - 2018 (debuted late 2017)
      -V60 - 2019 (debuted 2018)
      -S60- 2019 (debuted 2018, following V60)
      -V60CC - 2020 (debuted 2019)

Lets not forget, SPA Architecture was officially debuted in form of the Concept Coupe (September 2013).

Bert, any thoughts or experiences so far where you can tell CSA (Curve Speed Assist). I was under the impression that this feature debuted with the 2019 S60/V60's, but my S60 doesn't seem to have it. OR it just doesn't work all that well, if at all.

I did read somewhere it might have been an issue with approval for the US Market and it was implemented into models globally, outside of the US. I also read it could be installed as part of a very strangely described and listed accessory on Volvo's US website, but it states it can only be applied to models without factory installed Nav...?

Apparently, 2020 was supposed to be the year it started making its way into US market models. I was hoping it did in fact operate in yours to a noticeable extent... as I have a 2020 S60 on order to replace my 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by MJEWETT View Post
      Timeline of SPA platform:

Official Models (First Model Year):

-XC90 - 2016 (debuted 2015)
      -S90 - 2017 (debuted 2016)
      -V90 - 2017 (debuted 2 months after S90)
      -V90CC - 2017 (debuted a few months after V90)
      -Polestar 1 - 2020 (debuted October 17th, 2017)
      -S90L - 2017/2018 (China Market first mid-2017, USA 2018)
      -XC60 - 2018 (debuted late 2017)
      -V60 - 2019 (debuted 2018)
      -S60- 2019 (debuted 2018, following V60)
      -V60CC - 2020 (debuted 2019)

Lets not forget, SPA Architecture was officially debuted in form of the Concept Coupe (September 2013).
      Thank you! Love this forum. Learn every time I drop by.

Quote Originally Posted by MJEWETT View Post
      Bert, any thoughts or experiences so far where you can tell CSA (Curve Speed Assist). I was under the impression that this feature debuted with the 2019 S60/V60's, but my S60 doesn't seem to have it. OR it just doesn't work all that well, if at all.

I did read somewhere it might have been an issue with approval for the US Market and it was implemented into models globally, outside of the US. I also read it could be installed as part of a very strangely described and listed accessory on Volvo's US website, but it states it can only be applied to models without factory installed Nav...?

Apparently, 2020 was supposed to be the year it started making its way into US market models. I was hoping it did in fact operate in yours to a noticeable extent... as I have a 2020 S60 on order to replace my 2019.
      My US English Owner’s Manual indicates I have CSA, but I’ve been told by Volvo Customer Service before that not everything written there is true, even when there are no footnotes saying it’s not there in some markets (e.g. there is no VoC Charging schedule in US, despite the manual describing it in full.)

Most of the freeway interchanges I know my former Tesla with AP that rather frighteningly just keep ‘on going on sharper curves are an hour or more north of me. I did though purposely route myself through an interchange a few miles South of me that is more sweeping to see if CSA would kick in while I was on PA. There was a bit more traffic than I needed to declare success (I couldn’t go as fast as I would have preferred to really see a difference), but with that single attempt, my perception is CSA may have dropped speed a mile or two, then went back up on the straight. There is sadly also a slight incline in that area, so my observation remains inconclusive at this point. Sorry I can’t yet be more definitive, but I did give it the ‘ol college try.
      Last edited by BertL; 01-22-2020 at 09:41 AM. Reason: English
      Bert

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      My US English Owner’s Manual indicates I have CSA, but I’ve been told by Volvo Customer Service before that not everything written there is true, even when there are no footnotes saying it’s not there in some markets (e.g. there is no VoC Charging schedule in US, despite the manual describing it in full.)

Most of the freeway interchanges I know my former Tesla with AP that rather frighteningly just keep ‘on going on sharper curves are an hour or more north of me. I did though purposely route myself through an interchange a few miles South of me that is more sweeping to see if CSA would kick in while I was on PA. There was a bit more traffic than I needed to declare success (I couldn’t go as fast as I would have preferred to really see a difference), but with that single attempt, my perception is CSA may have dropped speed a mile or two, then went back up on the straight. There is sadly also a slight incline in that area, so my observation remains inconclusive at this point. Sorry I can’t yet be more definitive, but I did give it the ‘ol college try.
      Haha, not a problem. If you get any more insight to this, just let us all know! I am definitely remaining curious as to whether or not this made it to the US market models...

It seems we have some pretty crazy and outlandish regulations still lying around from years and years ago. It seemed it took quite a long time for other *foreign* brands to get their speed-adjusting cruise control past regulations and into their models here as well. The ones that quickly come to mind are Audi and Merc, which both debuted the feature in all markets far before it was enabled here. Though, I can't see why a plausibly safer approach to cruise control would NOT be wanted in the US. Seems silly to me, but so does so many other things we don't get.

Like how headlight and taillight regulations... don't even get me started. What frustrates me the most is, we end up paying the exact premium others do for headlight and taillight assemblies that are part of higher spec packages that contain all these fabulous features, that are disabled here! Most importantly and completely not understood as to why: True Adaptive Lighting.

Thumbs up Update: The First 30 Days with My 2020 XC60 T8 Inscription

Today marks one month that I’ve owned my 2020 XC60 T8. In my initial review, I had a few TBDs, and I always believe additional experience can change one’s POV , so here’s my last planned major addition for this thread. See my original posts at the beginning for context.

Panel Fit
      It’s still amongst the best I’ve owned. This car does drip after a hand wash more than some others I’m owned — the worst is the large gap at the bottom of the rear window glass. I hate mysterious dribbles that show up on darker colors like Denim Blue. Yeah, I’m fastidious if you've not figured that out by now.

Rear Seat Cover
      I thought I could live with the semi-custom cover I originally purchased from Titan Covers in the UK. Their service was beyond great and the price even with international shipping was right, but the the fit has proven just too wide and sloppy, the lower strap behind the back of the seats attaches, but is too low and difficult to access, it’s too slippery for my Golden Retriever to more confidently turn-around or jump out on her own, and the only dark battleship grey just doesn’t work for a fastidious guy with a blonde leather interior. It was better than nothing to get started, but not really what I really, so I continued my pursuit...

I mentioned I was more than happy with each of the custom seat covers I’ve owned in my last 3 vehicles, but it was not available for a 2020 XC60 T8. Longer story short, I ordered a custom Canine Cover Rear Seat Protector for a 2018 XC60 T8 in their lightest available “wet sand” color. It set me back $328, but the quality is beyond compare. This (2018) cover fits my 2020 rear seat like a glove, is secure on the seat bottom and back, goes on/off with Velcro straps and tabs in logical places, has a padded non-slip seat bottom with multiple layers, is waterproof, with Velcro flap openings to accommodate car seats and/or seatbelts/harness attachments, while allowing you to drop one part of the seat back or the other — and to appease my vanity when it comes to how my ride looks, the lighter beige material is a more acceptable compliment with the rest of my blonde interior.

Charging
      I discussed this in another thread, but there is an intermittent cooling fan that comes on while charging even if the T8 isn’t on, under the front hood on the left side. It’s far louder than anything I experienced with my Tesla charging at a much more extreme 80A for up to 5 hours, in the heat of summer, inside my closed garage. Hopefully Volvo improves their supplementary battery cooling system, especially with Recharge.

Charge time is as-expected, but slower than molasses at 240V compared to what I enjoyed with my former Tesla — especially with what today’s J1772 spec and wall chargers like my new ChargePoint Home Flex allow at 50A.

Volvo’s algorithms to estimate and display remaining charge time on the IC and VoC need significant refinement. It should not physically take more than ~3 hours to do a full charge of my 11.6kWH battery at 240V 16A. I’ve had initial estimates on VoC and the IC beyond 3.5, but generally 5-7 hours (!), which tighten-up only as charging gets much closer to complete, or if I physically open the car door while charging is underway that seems to trigger a recalculation. That is then generally closer to what becomes reality, but is still many times not even close — especially as I watch kWh being sent from my ChargePoint wall charger to my T8 during that same charging session.

There are additional problems with Volvo’s estimated battery range as it is displayed on the IC:

• When the battery charge is full according to the circular IC display, just below that, an estimated remaining range of 20-21 miles is shown (20 in Hybrid, 21 in PURE). That’s great and if true, is beyond sales literature or EPA estimates for a 2020, but…
      • E.g. when the battery charge shows 1/2 according to the circular IC display in Hybrid mode, I’ve several times caught the estimated remaining battery range displaying around 7 or less miles — which doesn’t logically line-up or is even close as an estimate. One or the other are off — IDK which one or both.

None of this is a super big deal in a T8, but as Volvo is learning their way through this electric world, they have refinements that become even more important for Recharge BEV owners to easily do long-distance intermediate trip charges (e.g. checking on their charge while taking a break, to both get on their way as quickly as possible when they have sufficient charge and/or estimated range, but to also avoid hogging the stall when charging is complete. Public EV charging etiquette matters, especially in busier locations.). Regardless, Volvo can get it right now with T8, and serve their future EVs well. I saw Tesla get better and better with the same things during the first couple years I owned my Model S, and it becoming a non-issue after that, so I’m confident Volvo could do the same.

Drive Mode / Gears / Range / MPG
      I have lower annual mileage than most, and these days I tend to do most of my miles on shorter errands and trips around town vs. longer road trips. You’ll think I’m nuts, but I still have more than half of my first dealer-supplied tank of gas, have traveled just over 300 miles, with an average 56 MPGe as reported via VoC. That’s far from a long-term trend or something yet to be too excited about, but as I expected from the larger 11.6kwH hybrid battery, it appears to be serving my needs well.
      I L-O-V-E the added electric-only range with more than reasonable MPH my XC60 T8 PHEV can produce, compared to my previous Lexus RX450h (and other similar non-pluggable hybrids from other brands) where electric-only driving on their smaller battery only worked for a short distance IF I could keep my speed under IIRC ~6MPH before the ICE kicked-in (e.g. parking lots, backing in/out, sneaking down the street. ) Also as expected, my T8 does not appear to be even half as good as my former BEV in terms of overall MPGe — that’s not a hit on the T8, just a fact it’s not a full-fledged BEV as my Tesla was. What my T8 will do is knock the socks off my former hybrids around town where I use it most — in both MPGe and performance. That being said, I remain doubtful my T8 will ever achieve the longer-range MPG (at highway-speed+) either of my old Lexus RXh delivered and were likely optimized for — the T8 electric benefit is used up quickly on-the-road without an opportunity to regen as often, and T8 is definitely more performance oriented in it’s design. So be it. As I keep saying, there are trade-offs; Not all implementations are the same, and one size does not fit all potential owners when it comes to hybrids or BEV.

I drive in Hybrid mode and B-gear nearly all the time, and have not yet found it necessary to overthink use of PURE mode, or placing the electric battery charge on HOLD for later use. Sure, I could perhaps eek-out a few more MPGe if I fiddled in one or more ways, but I L-O-V-E that I don’t HAVE to, and already achieve some really good MPG with the smaller amount of fossil fuel I do use.

B-gear works well for me — not just for increased regen, but as anticipated, has already proved to be much more natural coming from my Tesla where I used the acceleration pedal nearly all the time to both speed-up and slow, with the brake for only the last very few feet/yards coming to a full stop or in an emergency. I get that some ICE enthusiasts may not like the “drive by wire” approach, prefer a more performance-oriented quick stop, or just don’t get where I’m coming from if this style of driving has not become their norm — but I bet they will come around when they own a future BEV allowing the possibility (not all do.)
      My additional hope is with my primary use of B-gear, I’ll have less brake replacements than other owners using “D”. There is no way I’ll ever be able to prove or defend my POV, but I’m happy believing it’s true.

LED Headlights - Corner Bending
      I’ve become even happier with this than I initially reported. My XC60 Inscription without question, has the best implementation of corner bending headlights compared to my former Lexus, MBZ or Tesla. Volvo is my new best-of-breed baseline for headlights.

Distance Alert (Owner’s Manual p277-8)
      Distance Alert is a great idea, but is really poor in implementation and/or practical use. I do not ride the tail of vehicles in front of me, yet the yellow HUD alert remains ON most times I’m driving around town and on the freeway if I keep related settings on NORMAL. Distance Alert does not have its own setting, and I don't want to change other City Safety settings to LATE (that would be dumb) -- so Distance Alert remains OFF unless a future software update improves it.

Pilot Assist (PA)
      I’ve purposely spent more time with PA, trying to take the freeway more often on even short jaunts to understand first-hand what Volvo’s implementation will and won’t do. To net it out from my POV, Volvo PA in my 2020 is just not as good as what I had with my older Tesla Autopilot (AP). (FWIW, depending how one counts, Tesla AP has progressed another 2-3+ hardware generations with associated software functionality, from what I purchased back in 2015 and use as my comparative baseline. My Model S was replaced with this XC60 T8.) I’m glad I have Volvo PA, and my somewhat iffy-view of it is not a deal breaker, simply now a more confident observation I am able to make where Tesla vs. Volvo appear to have and have not yet prioritized effort deploying similar functionality to their fleets.

• Volvo PA is comparatively slow to actually start once you enable it via left steering wheel control/IC. Again, not a deal-breaker or reason to avoid it’s use, just a noticeable difference when AP engaged almost immediately every single time, and PA has a slight hesitation to it.
      • I liked Tesla AP displaying its confidence “seeing” road lines & markers directly adjacent the car/distance-ahead indicator when AP was engaged or not, vs. Volvo’s UI choice showing road line confidence only at the top of the IC, with PA status/distance independently shown in the IC and HUD. I get Volvo’s history, PA not always being engaged, etc., but IMO, surrounding lane info is part of the whole when it comes to AP and PA, and what becomes my realtime confidence “the assistance” being provided is solid enough for me in present conditions (I turn off AP or PA in what may be squirly-to-me situations, vs take a chance.). This is another small thing that is not a deal-breaker, but a usability improvement Volvo could consider as PA continues to evolve, especially as Level 3/4/5 autonomous driving become more of a reality.
      • As has been discussed in other threads, I DISLIKE that Volvo does not sound a chime when PA is disabled. IMO, if I as the driver engage PA, but the vehicle then disables it for whatever reason on it’s own, the vehicle must ensure I know it has overridden my choice as I can no longer assume PA is assisting me. I don’t want to have to look down into the IC at a somewhat complex graphic to figure that out, or while my hands remain lightly on the steering wheel, have my car start to drift in the lane because PA is no longer fully engaged, or perhaps only notice the small steering wheel icon has disappeared from the HUD.
        Not everything needs a message, icon and/or audible alert, but it’s one of the few poor choices from my POV I have found related to Volvo’s driver notification severity prioritization and notification methods. My Tesla ALWAYS gave me a subtle audible tone when AP was turned ON, as well as if
        I or it turned AP OFF — which was a good thing, given how these increasingly autonomous assistance systems reduce a driver’s responsibilities. I don’t want to ever guess or be surprised if PA is turned off, when I didn’t do it myself.
      • I still don’t have a conclusive POV on CSA performance. More time is needed for me to get to a multi-level freeway interchange at normal 55-70MPH an hour north of me, to actually try it out. (After two passes through that location with Tesla AP and sweats/fast heartbeats both times, I always turned AP OFF before going into any curve at higher-speed, especially if the highway was elevated with only lower concrete barriers on the sides. I’ll have to both confirm if CSA is really available in the US, as well as if it does a better job for me in this circumstance.)
      • I do though have issues with limitations PA has related to stationary objects, and how PA *may* rely upon City Safety systems to engage in those situations *IF* they do. I get PA is (just) a self-driving Level 2 assist function, but there are just too many documented caveats for me to have good confidence in “what WILL happen”, not a lot different than how Tesla AP has officially remained in “Beta” since its first delivery in Fall 2015, despite numerous updates since — both have many different exception conditions well beyond their present capabilities.
      • Related to those Volvo limitations, I sadly do not find Volvo PA useful at all in freeway stop & go traffic like my original Tesla AP V1 was. I used it many times in SoCal/Los Angeles corridors. AP could be a little herky-jerky in unusual, sometimes short-wait, then longer multi-minute wait stop-and-go circumstances, but I always felt safe and it did what I expected. After getting comfortable, I never once overrode what AP would or would not do in freeway traffic, even the stop-and-go variety.
        The primary issue for me is, unlike Tesla AP, Volvo PA goes into standby if stopped for more than 3 secs, and there are other safety limitations that may come into play e.g. as cars move in and out of your lane in front of your temporarily stopped position (with perhaps stationary vehicles ahead of them), IMO making PA problematic or unusable in heavier freeway traffic, compared to Tesla AP that could easily handle those sort of scenario at least 3 years ago. Volvo has work to do tightening-up PA and City Safety interaction. With great interest, I’ll keep watch on its progress.

For now and for me, Volvo PA (a level 2 system) is something I’ll use even less than I did with my previous Tesla with AP V1. I’m most disappointed PA isn't practical to use in stop & go freeway traffic, as I did to and from “the big cities” for years before. Unless I’m purposely (and attentively) playing-around with the tech, I will relegate PA in it’s current form to only longer-distance highway-only travel, and then only when there are less vehicles around me.

Sensus / Wireless Apple CarPlay
      I’m pleased with my 3rd-party CARPLAY2air adapter, filling a big gap in Volvo’s (and other mfgrs) Apple CarPlay implementation. The adapter is not without its occasional quirks, but has become my default 100% of the time for media playback, phone, calendar, messaging, etc. (I still use Sensus Nav because of it’s exclusive IC and HUD integration.) When I’m away from home, CARPLAY2air allows my iPhone 11 Pro to remain in my pocket unless it needs a charge, I get into my XC60, Sensus is already booting and turns over control to CarPlay, the CARPLAY2air adapter wirelessly intercepts and connects to my iPhone as if it were hardwired, and I’m listening to my own tunes where I left off, about 30 seconds after I open the door.

Reliability & Service

I remain confident on both fronts, however I must admit my “antenna went up” last week with my first real problem — a yellow check engine idiot light came on the day after a relatively new proactive 2020 T8 BECM Service Campaign was applied. Oh boy. Details may go in another thread perhaps, but the net is while service was able to turn the check engine lights off, and I thought all was good driving home, I become more convinced every day I now have a problem related to the hybrid powertrain, perhaps coincidentally since the software update was applied. Given my years in tech support, and my T8 problem is not (yet) an emergency, I’m trying to establish a pattern and better way to demonstrate/articulate the symptoms I see before taking it back in. Sigh. Fortunately, my local Volvo Service has been great and I expect that will continue.

2020 XC60 T8 SUMMARY
      Great premium mid-sized SUV in more ways than I can quickly summarize. Certainly at this early stage in our time together, it is one of the top vehicles I’ve owned in 45+ years across 8 different brands. Interior and exterior styling, high build quality, the sales and delivery experience, along with my first 30-days of ownership have exceeded my expectations with few exceptions.

I’m happy I purchased my first Volvo, and hope to be a Volvo owner for years to come. How long that will be with my present 2020 XC60 T8 is TBD, likely 4-ish years, preferably 5-6, realistically no more than 7-8. Technology that I love, is moving more rapidly than ever, as is BEV adoption with readily available and fast charging infrastructure I remain committed to. I will also be watching with interest what Volvo’s use of Google Android to replace Sensus in Recharge and beyond, may change with Volvo’s current privacy policy and the need to share owner-identifiable vs. anonymized data with you-know-who, as well as how Apple CarPlay is a continually updated part of Volvo’s implementation (native wireless and HUD integration!). As I eluded to in my original posts, future privacy policy changes alone could be a deal-breaker for me with Volvo or any brand, regardless what their product itself provides. For now, with my 2020, Sensus, and CarPlay as they are, I don’t need to worry. Only time and unforeseen circumstance — including if I win the lottery and begin searching for the latest-and-greatest, will tell.

Thanks again to all who have provided positive feedback on my original review. I’ll catch you around SwedeSpeed, or perhaps see you on-the-road around Southern California. Look for my Denim Blue XC60 T8 and the “Aloha! Have a Mickey Day!” rear license plate frame. Gotta have a little fun, right?
      Last edited by BertL; 01-29-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Formatting
      Bert

Bert,

A huge thank-you for an immensely informative thread. This is my first post here as a new member. I am considering the purchase of my first Volvo (XC60). I'm currently driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and looking to slightly downsize. Also, I'm not off-road much, so don't need that capability anymore. Never really considered Volvo before sitting in the XC models at our local car show recently. I was very impressed, and now need to do some test driving. Your thread helped answer many questions about what Volvo has to offer. I look forward to getting to our local Volvo dealer to further my education of this most interesting vehicle. Again, thanks for taking the time to put all of that valuable information on the forum.

Jack

Bert,
      Thanks for a great deal of very useful information about a vehicle I'm seriously considering purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
      Bert,
      Thanks for a great deal of very useful information about a vehicle I'm seriously considering purchasing.
      Glad you found it useful. Good luck your pursuit — it’s always fun looking, considering, trading-off features - functions - cost, and all the rest.
      Bert

Distance Alert
      Distance Alert does not have its own setting

Distance alert has its own settings, but whatever, right?
      Last edited by rumyn; 02-15-2020 at 01:59 PM.
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      Distance alert has its own settings, but whatever, right?
      I’m always open to learn something new, but have not found a setting for Distance Alert anywhere in the Sensus Menus, other than being able to turn the entire feature on or off in the HUD display. Pp 277-278 of the US 2020 XC60 T8 Owners manual covering this feature also provides no indication the distance sensitivity itself can be changed. If you have found a way to change Distance Alert alone, please point me to where it is in the menu hierarchy. I’d love to make use of the feature. Thx!
      Bert

I’m always open to learn something new, but have not found a setting for Distance Alert anywhere in the Sensus Menus, other than being able to turn the entire feature on or off in the HUD display. Pp 277-278 of the US 2020 XC60 T8 Owners manual covering this feature also provides no indication the distance sensitivity itself can be changed. If you have found a way to change Distance Alert alone, please point me to where it is in the menu hierarchy. I’d love to make use of the feature. Thx!

Same buttons you use for distance with ACC/PA
      His: Osmium Grey - 2019 S60 T6 R-Design AWD, Polestar, Advanced, 19" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Hers: Onyx Black - 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD, Maroon Brown, Advanced, Luxury, 20" wheels, Heated Steering Wheel & Rear Seats
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Quote Originally Posted by rumyn View Post
      Same buttons you use for distance with ACC/PA
      Gotcha. That is my personal problem, perhaps not for others — that I like the ACC/PA settings as I have them, but then the Distance Alert warning that follows those settings is overly sensitive with too many false alerts from my POV. What I’d personally prefer is to have a true different sensitivity setting for Distance Alert. Thanks for confirming my understanding.
      Bert

Gotcha. That is my personal problem, perhaps not for others — that I like the ACC/PA settings as I have them, but then the Distance Alert warning that follows those settings is overly sensitive with too many false alerts from my POV. What I’d personally prefer is to have a true different sensitivity setting for Distance Alert. Thanks for confirming my understanding.
      Well, I've kept it on "3" in all my Volvos and never found it to be overly active. It's on when needs be.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Lemon Law Buyback thread

Nice inspiration

This topic is a nice inspiration.

In fact, I read your post and went for a test drive, on brand new 20 mile only car.

After the drive, I purchased it (yes, the test drive unit) : a pearl white 2020 T8 R Design.

Too bad that some options are not available in my market (HUD, B&W, Polestar Update, Air Suspension etc..)

I already prepared my garage for a 220/16 amp industrial socket.

Will update with my usage after car arrives !

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuba View Post

In fact, I read your post and went for a test drive, on brand new 20 mile only car.

After the drive, I purchased it (yes, the test drive unit) : a pearl white 2020 T8 R Design.

Too bad that some options are not available in my market (HUD, B&W, Polestar Update, Air Suspension etc..)

Cheers
      That’s fabulous! Welcome to the XC60 T8 family. Enjoy!
      Bert

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuba View Post

Cheers
      welcome mitsuba, enjoy your white pearl
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

76-Day Update

I had not planned to add further updates to this thread, but I've had the opportunity to drive a 2020 XC60 T5 FWD Inscription loaner for a few days now, and thought some observations of T5 vs T8 and living with and without some options I selected may be interesting to someone.

Color Choice
      Very subjective, but I remain pleased with my first choice Denim Blue & Blonde/Charcoal with (Grey) Driftwood Inlay choice -- I'd have that combo again in a moment. Photos of my XC60 are here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7482467

My loaner is Crystal White -- terrific exterior color, just enough sparkle -- and would have been an OK alternative for me if I'd not had two metallic white cars immediately before my Volvo, and just wanted a change. OTOH, the interior of this loaner is not my thing -- Maroon Brown/Charcoal with (Grey) Driftwood Inlay -- it's horribly dark for my taste, like a tomb even with the lighter headliner, and IMO the grey driftwood inlay looks completely out of place against the black dash and darker leather, whereas the no-charge Linear Lime Deco (aka brown wood) would seem a far better choice with this seating color. Anyway, to each their own when it comes to colors. For those wondering, the interior of my loaner (NOT MY XC60 T8) looks like this:
      IMG_0448.jpeg

Air Suspension
      I remain happy with my choice to have Air Suspension. The loaner also has 20" Wheels like mine, but no air suspension. It has a noticeable roll around corners and just isn't as nice popping around town doing errands as my XC60 with air is. Again, air suspension is another choice I'd make on another XC60 in a moment -- as long as I had my extended warranty (see original up-thread posts.)

Harmon Kardon vs Bowers & Wilkins
      The loaner has the base Harmon Kardon sound system. As I found in my original test drives, the sound quality was fine, but as I've lived with it a lot more now in daily use, I remain happy having upgraded to the Bowers & Wilkins. Even FM HD has better bass with the B&W, and I love the improved "surround" or "fullness" the B&W system provides me. It's a big bucks upgrade that is far from a necessity, but I'm extremely glad I treated myself.

T5 vs T8
      Hummm. I think I'm just spoiled with all my years with CVT and then coming from my Tesla EV with no gears. Again, different strokes for different folks, but for me, the turbocharged (only) T5 drives me a little nuts with the more noticeable way the turbocharger kicks in and out while driving -- it's not as smooth of a transition or experience that I'm used to or prefer these days. I would say the T5 is far better in it's turbocharger transition than what I remember in my former 335i, but then again, the 335i ended-up having so many engine problems it was just a mess I try to forget about.

T8 Hybrid
      Overall, I remain happy I have the hybrid. As anticipated, the 11.6kWH battery is serving me well in my daily errands and such around town -- with just 647 miles on the ODO, VoC says I'm at 69.1 MPG, and I've not quite used a full tank of gas since taking delivery. MPG(e) is not as good of course as my former EV, but proving to have been a good compromise for what I desired.

I do think the IC display and Volvo UI choices are weird at times --and I can't be talked out of that-- but from other owners (TU for confirmation), it appears it's just the way a Volvo T8 UI is: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...does-this-mean

I've been teasing a bit, so you may wonder why I have a loaner. Long story short is a new hybrid battery is on order, hopefully to be replaced next week.

After BECM Service Campaign A39981 was proactively applied to my 2020 XC60 T8 (for all 2020 XC/S/V T8's) in mid January, I had yellow check engine lights the next day. Service found at least 3 codes - ECM925A268 (which is something about the BCM requesting engine lamp -- whatever that is), BCM-C056308, & BCM-U003700 -- with "no fault tracing". In English, that means they don't know what the source problem is, so Service was advised to clear the light, test drive and when codes did not reappear, to send me home until it happens again.

While I had no new problems for about 6 weeks, I had an increasing number of situations where the right IC display seemed to intermittently loose the electric battery for 1-2 minutes. I described this in https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7525207, and Service, as well as folks here were good enough to tell me "that's just the way it is". I didn't like that answer, but shut up and decided I'd worry about something else.

...then this past Wednesday. I had not driven my 2020 XC60 T8 for a couple days. Turned it on and got the new-to-me Turtle Symbol with a "Reduced performance Acceleration performance reduced" message on the IC. The Hybrid IC display then changed and lost what I call "battery potential" as described in the thread link above -- this time though, it was permanent, not an intermittent 1-2 minute problem that reset itself on the display. I went ahead and drove to the store a couple miles away and parked -- figuring from other threads around here that the "Turtle" was like BMW Limp Mode I'm familiar with from my former 335i -- safe to drive, just limited in speed and performance. When starting up my T8 to return home, the Turtle Symbol reappeared, the IC went into it's no "battery potential" display mode, and this time a yellow check engine light appeared. I then had no AC -- the fan, but no cooling. I had a couple times where it seemed like all ICE acceleration power suddenly disappeared, a big lurch, and then acceleration rapidly started again. I had less than a mile to get home at that point, so parked in my garage and immediately smelled in the cabin what I would describe as "burning plastic". There was a small amount of white smoke coming out of the rear tail pipe, along with all sort of creeking and moaning like what happens with metal cooling/heating. I immediately thought of the catalitic converter, but I wouldn't think that by itself would cause what I believed were more systemic hybrid issues I was having. I backed the car out of the garage into my driveway and away from the house just-in-case, and called Service. They had me bring it in later that afternoon (with all the same symptoms along the way.)

I received a call at the end of business the following day, that Service tracked the problem to a faulty hybrid battery cell. I don't know what the code(s) were they found this time. (Just like I know with my former Tesla battery problems and ultimate replacement) Volvo Service can't replace a single cell, so has to replace the entire hybrid battery. It's on order and should arrive later this week. As to if it is only coincidence with my hybrid problems seeming to begin after the BECM Service Campaign update was applied, or if there is some connection between the two, IDK -- Volvo has the ball to figure it out for the rest of the fleet.

The Net
      Still loving my 2020 XC60 T8. It's disappointing to have a significant hybrid failure this early into the game, but Volvo Service is treating me well, and I'm over-the-moon happy with the styling, interior, and options I selected.
      Last edited by BertL; 03-14-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
      Bert

I received a call at the end of business the following day, that Service tracked the problem to a faulty hybrid battery cell. I don't know what the code(s) were they found this time. (Just like I know with my former Tesla battery problems and ultimate replacement) Volvo Service can't replace a single cell, so has to replace the entire hybrid battery.
      I would swear that I saw somewhere - not sure where - that the individual cells were replaceable. Or is that maybe something that they can't do at the dealer and would need to be done in a speciality shop?

Glad you're still loving the car. (Im)patiently waiting for ours and hoping COVID-19 doesn't slow/stop production before it's built next month.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast