Selecting & First Impressions of My 2020 XC60 T8 Inscription - Page 3
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      I would swear that I saw somewhere - not sure where - that the individual cells were replaceable. Or is that maybe something that they can't do at the dealer and would need to be done in a speciality shop?

Glad you're still loving the car. (Im)patiently waiting for ours and hoping COVID-19 doesn't slow/stop production before it's built next month.
      I doubt any dealership would have the skill required to replace individual cells within a larger hybrid or EV battery unless it was designed that way to begin with. I also bet most mfgrs would not go to the expense of designing something with that much field service flexibility given the added cost to the product, and perhaps additional space that would involve, for something that shouldn’t normally need replacing until it’s reasonable life is over. Remember, Volvo has a std 8 year mfgr warranty on the hybrid battery, and 10 yrs here in CA and IIRC with you in WA and other States that implement much of our CARB rules and regs)... E.g. with my former Tesla Model S, it had 4K+ individual cells, each a little larger than a AA battery, in an enclosed unit that also had it’s own heating/cooling system (changeable liquid) and integrity to protect against explosion/fires etc — the whole thing was a single unit running effectively from the front to rear axles and side-to-side that was designed to be replaced robotically in a few minutes or by 2 service personnel in well less than an hour, with the failing unit sent back to the factory for refurb or recycling.

The surprising (and a little bit scary) thing to me was I had the distinct smell of burning plastic in my T8 last week, so I bet it’s an ugly scene internally in that battery with whatever happened. I eventually found out with my old Tesla that it too had multiple failed cells, but given it’s design as an integrated replaceable unit under the floorboard, I had no smells, odors, or unusual sounds as I did with my T8 where the hybrid battery is next to the driver, right under the center console. Different design objectives for both.

With clarity about only people and not cargo into the US being impacted as of today, yes, hopefully your new toy will stay on schedule or close to it. There is so many things with the whole auto supply chain, and then what’s involved with delivery of it from Sweden to the US though, patience will certainly be needed in these times. You will both really enjoy your XC60 when it arrives, so keep up the good anticipation. It will be worth it. Stay well!
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      I had not planned to add further updates to this thread, but I've had the opportunity to drive a 2020 XC60 T5 FWD Inscription loaner for a few days now, and thought some observations of T5 vs T8 and living with and without some options I selected may be interesting to someone.
      It's a bit strange to compare two cars whose price differs for 20-23k $
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

76-Day Update -- Conclusion

...Long story short is a new hybrid battery is on order, hopefully to be replaced next week...
      Conclusion: ECM DTC P0A7B68 & ECM DTC P0DBB00 were found as the problem -- both dealing with the Hybrid Battery as expected. The new hybrid battery was ordered and arrived a day early. Service started on it that afternoon. It took them a little more than a day to replace the battery, do all the battery coolant flushes, check everything out, and apply a Total Software Update which included the newer Active Safety Recall R29998 that is being talked about elsewhere for broader/formal communication to owners in upcoming weeks. Things seemed back to normal in my 2020 XC60 T8 to top off the gas tank and on the way home.

My dealership is rather small compared to some of the mega (Lexus / MBZ) dealerships I've used before, but has been in business for 27+ years, and completed updating the dealership buildings, waiting areas and such just last year. Of interest perhaps, and this is by no means a fleet-wide statistic, but my hybrid battery is only the 2nd they have replaced in all T8's since inception. I’m an inquisitive kinda guy, so my Service Advisor provided photos of the hybrid battery and undercarriage of my T8 once the old one was removed. I've attached them below.

COVID-19 & Service Quality: California went on lockdown last night, but interesting to me, Automobile Service is considered one of the transportation necessities, so can remain open. My Dealership Service Dept has reduced hours each day and is trying to put off some of the lesser-important service requests where possible. They've taken this virus thing seriously not only with reduced hours, but Service Advisors keeping more of a distance, wearing gloves, having cars left for service antiseptically wiped down in higher-touch areas before inspection, and upon return when you're given a clean key. With all the negative comments some others have for "Volvo Service" (but Service most always gets a bad rap for most brands on forums like this), my experience thus far in not quite 90-days has been exemplary. I was kept in the loop by my Service Advisor throughout the process, they proactively handled things like taking care of the upcoming recall while my car was already in for service, and my XC60 T8 was returned back to me in the same pristine shape I left it with them. The Service Manager even came out to make sure I had been well taken care of, and also apologized as my SA had, for having the problem in the first place. While I would have preferred to never had the hybrid failure to begin with, Customer Service was more than outstanding on so many fronts, especially in these trying times. IMO there are some great Volvo Dealerships out there like Carlsbad Volvo here in San Diego County -- you may just have to seek them out no different than other brands.

It’s great having my new toy back. Stay well all!

20200318_162334.jpeg 20200318_162327.jpeg
      Last edited by BertL; 03-21-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added link for ASDM Recall Thread
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Thanks for the update, BertL. I think we can all hope our experiences are as good as yours.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Glad to see it got handled so well BertL, and you’ve got your ride back!

First photos I’ve seen of the platform minus the battery, very interesting.
      2020 S60 PE, Matte Grey
      2019 XC90 T6 Inscription, Denim Blue/Blonde
      former: 2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Crystal White/Charcoal
      former: 2006 XC90 V8 Titanium Gray/Graphite

I am always wondering after 10+ years and battery is badly degraded, would Volvo give us software update to make the car a FWD T6 with battery removed?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      I am always wondering after 10+ years and battery is badly degraded, would Volvo give us software update to make the car a FWD T6 with battery removed?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Humm. Good question. I doubt the the car is engineered in such as way it is even possible, e.g. when my hybrid battery went out, the cockpit fan kept running, but AC was gone because it is only delivered via the hybrid battery -- nothing else. Once the hybrid battery was replaced, AC was available again without Service having to do anything at all. Almost seems like the present physical design would prohibit a software change to ICE only.
      Bert

Funny, BertL, you are downon what I think is about the nicest interior color combo on the road today, and you like the interior color combo that killed at least one deal for me. (Told the dealer I wouldn't buy a blonde interior no matter how many thousands he took me off ).

Just shows the importance of offering consumers choices.

I just wish Volvo offered more exciting exterior colors. Only one that really pops for me is bursting blue.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
      Funny, BertL, you are downon what I think is about the nicest interior color combo on the road today, and you like the interior color combo that killed at least one deal for me. (Told the dealer I wouldn't buy a blonde interior no matter how many thousands he took me off ).
      We had the opposite. When we had decided on what we wanted I did searches (as well as I could at least) across the country and all I kept coming up with Maroon or Amber - both of which we saw and rejected. We've loved the blonde (or whatever it was called) interior in our V70 for 19 years and are very happy it's still available. One (but only one) of the reasons we'd never consider the R-Design or Polestar is that they only come with dark interiors.

Glad there are so many options for everyone!
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Fwiw, my sales person had been driving a S60 and has the blonde. He has kids and told me he had no regrets. He just maintains it carefully and is happy with how bright and airy it feels.

I had a choice of denim blue with blonde and pine gray with maroon. What I wanted was a mashup of denim blue and maroon. No dealer had it though and I didn't have time to special order. So, I "settled" for pine gray because I loved the maroon brown.

I'm very happy with the interior color but I am a bit meh about pine gray ( which I find boring)
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Fwiw, my sales person had been driving a S60 and has the blonde. He has kids and told me he had no regrets. He just maintains it carefully and is happy with how bright and airy it feels.

I had a choice of denim blue with blonde and pine gray with maroon. What I wanted was a mashup of denim blue and maroon. No dealer had it though and I didn't have time to special order. So, I "settled" for pine gray because I loved the maroon brown.

I'm very happy with the interior color but I am a bit meh about pine gray ( which I find boring)
      I think whomever is responsible for color selection at Volvo needs to take the cars out in bright sun more often. Most of the colors currently available look much better under cloudy skies. In bright sunlight they look washed out and/or "dusty" - not impressive. All interior colors offered are pretty nice, IMHO. I just wish they offered R-design with all colors of leather. I also wish Volvo would introduce a couple of new exterior colors every model year, instead of dragging the same tired palette for years and years. Also, the fact that many colors available in other markets are not available in US is a travesty.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

I just wish Volvo offered more exciting exterior colors. Only one that really pops for me is bursting blue.
      +1 Bursting Blue and Fusion Red
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Yes, it’s great there are color choices because it is one of the most personal decisions, and there is no single right answer. What is preferred by one, may not be for another, and at least for me, my tastes change over time. While I look at both exterior and interior colors available together, I always end up settling on what I like best with the exterior color and then a complimentary interior to go with it vs the other way around. IOW, I could be OK with a 2nd color choice on my interior, but the exterior has to be my 1st. ...and yes I wish Volvo provided a little more variance with at least 1-2 exterior colors per year to mix it up a bit, like I was used to with Lexus and others.

Looking at only pictures online, Pine Grey was my first choice, until I saw Denim Blue in person (on a cloudy day!) side-by-side with Pine Grey. The Pine Grey reminded me somewhat of my former (more sparkly) Bamboo RX400h which I thought was one of the best colors I ever owned, especially how it looked more metallic grey in shade, but had a distinct green/grey tint in the sunlight. Beautiful. There was just something about the subtle different Denim Blue shade that did it for me this time — perhaps not next.

I personally am not into dark interiors, at least for the last few years. I’ve had them in the past, but just prefer the lighter look in my past 2-3+ rides, and have had zero problem with upkeep. I’ve had all black, and I had a Metallic Cream White SLK Vert with Red Leather seats that was awesome especially when the top was down. I don’t consider Volvo’s Maroon (aka “Brown”) a bad color choice — it was in fact my 2nd, after I saw Amber in person was just too bright for my taste. What I especially didn’t like in that loaner was Maroon with the default Driftwood Accent — having that grey stripe across the black dash when everything else on the lower interior of the car was dark stood out too much, and just seemed out-of-place. For me, if I would had gone the Maroon route, I would have had the no-additional-charge Brown Wood Accent. Again though, that’s just me.

...but yes, I love my Denim Blue / Blonde / Driftwood combo and would order it again today without question as long as I lived here on the mainland. OTOH, if I were back in Hawaii where it rains nearly every day at least a little bit, I’d go nuts having a darker exterior trying to keep it clean and the water spot problem that is hard to deal with there after a quick shower and the sun comes back out to bake on whatever dirt there may be — a metallic white or silver for me there is the only way to go. Ah, color choices are a GOOD thing! I’m glad mfgrs provide them.
      Bert

Glad all is getting taken care of with your XC60 T8. I agree that there are some great dealerships out there. A lot has to do with our attitude in working with the dealership. They did not manufacture the car but must provide service and repair. Bottom line is that you are good with how you are being treated. I thought about your comments concerning this whole issue of wireless Apple Play. While I like the idea of just flopping the phone down and not having to connect, the missing element for me is the charging. I hate having to charge my phone at home so use the car to do most of the charging. So if there were a wireless charger and wireless Apple Play combo, then I would vote yes. I must be the only one that uses the cars to charge our phones.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      ... I must be the only one that uses the cars to charge our phones.
      No, you're not. I still keep my phone in my pocket most of the time and charge it most nights wirelessly on my dresser, but broke down before this virus thing hit and put in a wireless charger that fits perfectly in the top of the long center console area ahead of the cup holders on my XC60 (The ones on Amazon cost more than similar varieties directly from China, but have better availability in these times.) I can keep things tidy in my cockpit with the console cover closed when not in use, but if I do (ever again ) go for a long drive and need the charge, it's simple to drop my iPhone Pro in place, and off I go listening to my wireless CarPlay tunes -- a well done 3rd party accessory that hopefully becomes a standard feature in future MYs.

Take care. Be well.
      Bert

Selecting & First Impressions of My 2020 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Part 5a of 7 - Infotainment
      Infotainment & Sensus 2.x

• FM HD is occasionally used when I want current events or live chatter, and AM works well when I see a temporary road sign to tune-in around construction zones, special events and airport parking for more info.

Continued in Part 5b…
      I'm a little surprised by this comment. I have a 2018 XC60 T8 Inscription with all of the packages and there is no AM radio option. My understanding was that no T8's had AM availability due to interference from the high voltage system in the T8. Am I missing something or is AM radio now offered in MY 2020. I use the Tune-In Radio app for AM and it works great.
      Current
      OSD 2018 XC60 T8 | Onyx Black | Blonde/Blonde Int | Heated Fr Seats & Steering Wheel | Convenience-Vision-Advanced Packages | Air Suspension | 20" Wheels
      OSD 2011 C70 | Flamenco Red

Quote Originally Posted by mommere View Post
      I'm a little surprised by this comment. I have a 2018 XC60 T8 Inscription with all of the packages and there is no AM radio option. My understanding was that no T8's had AM availability due to interference from the high voltage system in the T8. Am I missing something or is AM radio now offered in MY 2020. I use the Tune-In Radio app for AM and it works great.
      No, you are absolutely correct. Thx for pointing that out. I inadvertently made that error in my review based on my test drive of a non-T8, and only recently realized AM wasn’t there in my T8 when this came up in another thread and I went out and checked. For whatever odd reason XC60 T8 has no AM. ...but FM HD is pretty terrific when CarPlay isn’t in use.
      Bert

Quote Originally Posted by Catfiend View Post
      We had the opposite. When we had decided on what we wanted I did searches (as well as I could at least) across the country and all I kept coming up with Maroon or Amber - both of which we saw and rejected. We've loved the blonde (or whatever it was called) interior in our V70 for 19 years and are very happy it's still available. One (but only one) of the reasons we'd never consider the R-Design or Polestar is that they only come with dark interiors.

Glad there are so many options for everyone!
      I'm exactly the opposite. I used to own a white Volvo c70 with white interior. My 2020 XC-60 is full on black on black on black. Black interior, tint, rims, exterior, rails, trims. I love it.
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3