Carbon vented hood or other ideas to lower under hood temps
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Carbon vented hood or other ideas to lower under hood temps

I've been thinking about options to decrease temperatures under the bonnet (hood) on my T5 V50. The engine bay is packed in pretty tight and seems to get very hot under there. Now that my car is modified and pushing a bit more performance it will generate even more heat. Just to give you some context I live in Australia and it can get pretty hot here - we had 47 degrees Celsius (116 degrees Fahrenheit!) last Saturday!

I was thinking this is probably something that can be addressed through some simple bonnet vents . I know MNIWT had cut some into his fenders to achieve this but I was looking to see what other options there are out there?

I found this vented Carbon Fibre bonnet from C30 mods which might help do the trick (I'm looking into more details on this one). Has anyone done anything similar?
      https://www.c30mods.co.uk/product/cfc30bonnet

Cheers
      My unicorn - 2008 V50 AWD T5 - 6 speed manual
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...l-build-thread

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How about buying the Elevate turbo blanket?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
      2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 (2017 - ) || 1987 Toyota MR2 (2016 - ) || 2002 Lexus IS300 (2016 - ) || 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 (2016 - 2019) || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 (2015 - 2016) || 2001 Acura Integra GSR (2010 - 2010) Stolen lol

Theres a few DIY mods on here that stand out, including Michaels C30 vents. The GT500 hood vent is always nice and cheap ($100). Ive always wanted to walk around the pick and pull for some random vent and see if i could make them fit, notably some Land Rover or 99 SN mustang vents. i wouldnt limit your searches to Volvos for this, if you can stand digging through the terrible vlog channels you can find some more ideas for custom vents.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

90% of your underhood temps come from your header and downpipe. Just my .02 - get a ceramic coating inside and out and enjoy the 25%-50% reduction in underhood temps.

What I would do if I was you, is buy a crap turbo off ebay, take it all apart, and buy a nice upgrade Downpipe, send the downpipe (outside if it has a cat, if not then inside and out) and the headers+compressor (inside and outside) housing to get ceramic coated. Will cost less than that hood for ebay and shipping and service, then you just pull the old one out and put the new stuff (w/ rebuilt turbo) in, you're good to go and will enjoy your heavily reduced underhood temps.

The benefit this method has over the hood is that the hood requires you to be moving to get significant effect, otherwise it is just convection, which isn't much given the opening sizes, whereas the exhaust is ALWAYS pumping heat out between 420 and 815*C.

The Elevate header cover is a good option as well, but the price turns me off quite a bit.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 01-06-2020 at 10:44 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Don't waste your money on a carbon fiber hood unless you just want the cosmetic appearance. The stock hood weighs 12lbs, so you're looking at a 3lb weight savings at best. If you want cooling, opt for vents.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_50 View Post
      I know MNIWT had cut some into his fenders to achieve this but I was looking to see what other options there are out there?
      The fender vent is for the intake, the GT500 hood vent is for cooling. It dramatically reduced under hood temperatures to the point that I not longer pop the hood after a track session or spirited run and while it's not wind tunnel tested, it should be helping draw air over the engine from the front grille area and out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by jondevieonS40 View Post
      The GT500 hood vent is always nice and cheap ($100).
      My personal preference, since it's fairly OEM looking. A few people have added MKII RS vents as well.

+1 on Ceramic Coatings - Especially doable when You have Your Turbo out to be Serviced & Up Graded ..

Hood Vents are OK , but there goes the sleeper effect ..
      I Personally prefer Ceramic Thermal Coating & Lower Splash shield Opening Increased ..as the extra Heat running under the Car "Keeps Chassis Dry"
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Quote Originally Posted by V50toS40 View Post
      How about buying the Elevate turbo blanket?

If you can get one... I've been waiting on mine for 6 months now. Don is completely unresponsive so I guess he doesn't want to sell me the parts I ordered in July.

Some Great suggestions there guys - thanks!!

Ceramic coating is something I will look into. I just had a new DP and exhaust made and installed and I don't know why this slipped my mind at the time - what an idiot I am! I'm still tossing up what to do with the turbo and have been leaning towards leaving it stock but I've got Michael's billet compressor wheel winking at me on the work bench still. I'm somewhat put off from messing with the turbo due to the expense. A used item in Australia plus rebuild cost is almost as much as getting a K16 (though I know it's a slipperly and expensive slope from there!). Might be cheaper to source a used unit from UK or USA but expect the shipping cost will wipe out the saving..... I'll give it some more thought and investigation.

I agree with Michael and Jon - GT500 vent may be the way to go as it looks pretty factory and not as over the top. I completely forget about that Vent on your car Michael and was just thinking of the fender vents. Some good advice there from Avenger too. The GT vent is probably a good place for me to start whilst I'm thinking about the ceramic coating. I don't drive this car in traffic really - it's just a weekend car so most of my driving is on the move rather than stop start and traffic sort of stuff so I should get the benefit of the air flow most of the time.

Eng Tech - it's not looking like much of a sleeper any more anyways ;p Have you got any info on the lower splash shield opening option you talked about?

Thanks everyone - all of these options are far more cost effective so I appreciate all your input.
      My unicorn - 2008 V50 AWD T5 - 6 speed manual
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...l-build-thread

Quote Originally Posted by sleepstate View Post
      If you can get one... I've been waiting on mine for 6 months now. Don is completely unresponsive so I guess he doesn't want to sell me the parts I ordered in July.
      Damn I'm really sorry to hear this. I received mine and have been happy with it.

2005 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 (2017 - ) || 1987 Toyota MR2 (2016 - ) || 2002 Lexus IS300 (2016 - ) || 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 (2016 - 2019) || 2008 Volvo V50 T5 (2015 - 2016) || 2001 Acura Integra GSR (2010 - 2010) Stolen lol

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements