Intake Hoses - Leak?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Intake Hoses - Leak?

So do old intake hoses really wear out, leak? Looking at the info in Do88 for their silicone intercooler hoses, they claim, "This kit is the ideal upgrade for old worn out rubber intercooler hoses." The reason I ask is that my long-term fuel trim is running rather high, around 7% and I think it is due to an air leak. I have been trying to find the source but no luck so far. I haven't found crack in my hoses and the connections seem tight.

Are intercooler leaks an issue with these cars?

Another area that I plan to look is the power brake booster, hoses and vacuum pump.

In an old post, someone mentioned the reed valves in the intake manifold gasket. After 15 years and 155K miles could these go bad?

Thanks
      Stan
      Last edited by AutoGeek; 01-07-2020 at 03:13 PM.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have the do88 hoses - but I'm rather surprised to hear you think the OEM units would leak, it's possible but not wholly probable unless they get a slice or cut on them beforehand and then age and time takes care of the rest. It seems just too thick and just too well made, and even better made than the coolant hoses. However, how this would result in more air in causing a richer trim would mean that it would leak at idle when vacuum is the highest, and it would have to take very little effort to cause the breach to open, as the majority of the vacuum is after the throttlebody and I'd think you'd've thrown a MAF code if there was a leak between the air filter and the throttlebody, as that thing is a sensitive turd.

I have never heard of an intercooler leaking between the plastic and the aluminum. Possible, but not probable imo. Radiators - yes definitely, but not the intercoolers.

As for the reed valves - these are for oil separation from the airstream iirc.

I vote for an early onset O2 sensor problem - what's your short term trim, lambda, and delta values?
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Plus 1 on O2 sensor , when was the last Time U used Marvel in Crank Case to Clean Out Motor & PVC system & Sludge - like Added 100-200 miles before - Oil & Filter Change Out ?
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

I kind of doubt the intercooler hoses would leak either. Do88 made it sound like it was a possibility.

I already replaced the MAF, front O2 sensor, FPS, TCV, boost pressure sensor and the weird brake vacuum hose. This all seemed to start after my oil filter housing went bad. The LTFT went way low and threw a code for low fuel pressure reading. I replaced the FPS and the
      LTFT went high. I replaced that FPS but no change.

The STFT does shoot up when I go to idle and stays there for a while then it usually settles close to zero with no change in in LTFT. The LTFT seems to run higher when ambient temperature is cold and reduces some after driving a while. (thermal expansion partially closes leak).

The weird thing is my previous V50 did the same thing after I had to extract a dead mouse from the fan shroud. I never found the cause but suspected the rodent chewed something.

I run Seafoam occasionally and actually have some in now. I tried Marvels and there was no difference.

What really sucks is I used to pull 33 MPG highway and now I get about 28 MPG.
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer) Bilstein HD, ECU spacer, Snabb Turbo Pipe

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements