Recommendations for Hotels to stay in Copenhagen
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Recommendations for Hotels to stay in Copenhagen

I have an Overseas Delivery Date (OSD) set for March 16, 2020. I depart from Dulles Airport in D.C. via SAS Air, on the 11th. I want to spend March 12th through the 15th in Copenhagen, Denmark and then fly into Gothenburg on the morning of the 15th. Once in Gothenburg, I want to stay until March 18th, and a then head to Stockholm, Sweden via express high-speed train. Volvo picks up the cost for the Clarion Post hotel for the 15th and I pay for the 16th and 17th. they gave me the discounted rate to stay there the 16th and the 17th. So, no hotel worries in Gothenburg. I have train tickets already and will take the train to Stockholm. Iso, I need a hotel there and one in Copenhagen. Ideally one with breakfast and nearby most touristy things. Since it is March and winter and I am opting to not drive my new Volvo around the country like I would in the summer, walking distance is a bonus. I don't want to pay $200 for snow tires and deal with trying to find a place to wash my car in the country before I return the car to the FDC. By the time I add up the cost of snow tires, gas and tolls, parking fees and the stress of possibly having a winter accident with my brand new car on unfamiliar roads, I'd rather just walk and have a nicer hotel and wait to drive my new Volvo once back here in America. Has anyone stayed at the STK Petri in Copenhagen? How about the Marriott Copenhagen or the Hilton hotel in Slussen which is in Stockholm, Sweden? I don't want a hostel. I don't want a room that is so small that I can't fit myself and my wife and our luggage in the room. I would like a private bathroom and prefer a shower over a tub. Hotels with a safe in the room are a bonus. Again close to touristy attractions, and close to public transportation as i will need to get from the train station to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport in Sweden and from the airport in Denmark to the hotel and back to the airport. Volvo is paying for all flights. Any advice and opinions from those who have already been on an OSD in March or any other time, is welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We stayed at the Copenhagen Admiral Hotel (https://admiralhotel.dk/en/) during our 2016 OSD and really enjoyed the hotel. Our room was very unique with open beams/posts and had a great view overlooking the water. We found the location to be very convenient with easy access to the city attractions. Service and breakfast offerings were great. Highly recommended.
      Dec 2016 OSD: 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription | Magic Blue | Amber | Vision | Conv | B&W | 21" Wheels | HUD | Polestar
      Apr 2020 OSD (pending): 2020 XC40 T5 Momentum | Ice White | Charcoal Textile | Advanced | Multimedia | Premium

My wife and I stayed at the Scandic Front, which is right next to Nyhavn (pretty much any pic you see of Copenhagen is Nyhavn). Rates are reasonable, and include a really nice breakfast buffet. If you're going at an off-time and book early enough, request a room facing the harbour and you'll probably get it without an extra charge.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Maxchi,

Thank you for your quick reply. Will definitely check it out right now. March will be here sooner than I realize. :-)

DC Ross,

Thank you for the quick reply. Breakfast buffet sounds like a good deal.

We stayed at the Nordic Light Hotel in Stockholm during our OSD trip this past August. The hotel was great - clean, well furnished, friendly and included a lovely breakfast buffet. It is just a couple blocks from the train station when you arrive from Gothenburg on the SJ train and right outside the doors of the Arlanda Express train to the airport (we flew into Stockholm and then took the SJ train to Gothenburg). Location could not have been more convenient.

We stayed at the Scandic Palace in Copenhagen and enjoyed it greatly. Very near Tivoli, although that won't be open when you're there.
      The Scandic Downtown Camper in Stockholm was terrific, with a really awesome breakfast buffet, nearly the equal of the Clarion Post in Gothenburg.

Both are very well located within walking distance of everything.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by rapayn1 View Post
      I have an Overseas Delivery Date (OSD) set for March 16, 2020. I depart from Dulles Airport in D.C. via SAS Air, on the 11th. I want to spend March 12th through the 15th in Copenhagen, Denmark and then fly into Gothenburg on the morning of the 15th. Once in Gothenburg, I want to stay until March 18th, and a then head to Stockholm, Sweden via express high-speed train. Volvo picks up the cost for the Clarion Post hotel for the 15th and I pay for the 16th and 17th. they gave me the discounted rate to stay there the 16th and the 17th. So, no hotel worries in Gothenburg. I have train tickets already and will take the train to Stockholm. Iso, I need a hotel there and one in Copenhagen. Ideally one with breakfast and nearby most touristy things. Since it is March and winter and I am opting to not drive my new Volvo around the country like I would in the summer, walking distance is a bonus. I don't want to pay $200 for snow tires and deal with trying to find a place to wash my car in the country before I return the car to the FDC. By the time I add up the cost of snow tires, gas and tolls, parking fees and the stress of possibly having a winter accident with my brand new car on unfamiliar roads, I'd rather just walk and have a nicer hotel and wait to drive my new Volvo once back here in America. Has anyone stayed at the STK Petri in Copenhagen? How about the Marriott Copenhagen or the Hilton hotel in Slussen which is in Stockholm, Sweden? I don't want a hostel. I don't want a room that is so small that I can't fit myself and my wife and our luggage in the room. I would like a private bathroom and prefer a shower over a tub. Hotels with a safe in the room are a bonus. Again close to touristy attractions, and close to public transportation as i will need to get from the train station to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport in Sweden and from the airport in Denmark to the hotel and back to the airport. Volvo is paying for all flights. Any advice and opinions from those who have already been on an OSD in March or any other time, is welcome.
      We stayed at Ibsen's Hotel, near the Norreport station. It was a lovely hotel with a phenomenal breakfast. Close to the train/metro, easy to bike from there to the rest of town. We stayed in October and found it a great place to stay.

One other note, since you mentioned it, but if you return your car to the FDC, you don't have to wash it. The FDC will take care of it. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive in the cities, but the benefit of the FDC is that they take really good care of you. Best of luck in trip planning!

Quote Originally Posted by rapayn1 View Post
      How about the Marriott Copenhagen or the Hilton hotel in Slussen which is in Stockholm, Sweden?.
      While we participated in the lunch, did the factory tour and visited the Volvo museum we didn't drive our car outside the FDC parking lot. We didn't think our marriage could handle the stress of driving in a foreign country!

We spent 3 nights at the Marriott Copenhagen and 4 nights at the Hilton Slussen in Stockholm. We also spent 4 nights at the Conrad London and 3 nights at the Andaz London on our way back home. It was pretty easy to get to/from the airport to our hotels using public transportation. We had executive view rooms and club access at all of our hotels except for the Andaz which doesn't have a lounge.

It's worth getting the American Express Aspire card for Hilton Diamond status if you're planning to stay in Hilton properties during your trip. I'm an amateur travel hacker so we used free nights/points for most of our hotel stays (Volvo paid for all of our flights, we paid for the train from GOT to STO). We then used our hotel savings to help pay for our 13 nights in Ireland (Volvo paid for our Ireland flight as well).

Let me know if you have specific questions about any of the properties. We'd definitely recommend them but each property has its own pros/cons. I'm happy to answer questions/advise on how to get the best use out of your Amex Aspire/Chase credit cards, especially if you're willing to use my referral links to open a new card!
      Last edited by JulieK; 01-07-2020 at 04:42 PM.
      2019 XC40 T5 Inscription | Chrystal White & Oxide Red | Vision | Advanced | Premium | Heated steering & seats | 19" 5-double spoke

We stayed at 71 Nyhavn. It was a great experience. Hotel was very nice, breakfast was good, they parked and retrieved the car for us when we left. They have bike rentals at the hotel so easy to get around and plenty of nice restaurants. Its in Nyhavn looking at the water. Plenty of rooms with a water view and a decent size, we had a double executive. A good selection of Michelin rated restaurants within walking distance. In Stockholm, we stay at Hotel Eggers. The hotel was extremely nice but the room we had was small. We managed to fit 2 checked bags, 2 carry ons, and 2 back packs in the room but had to make sure we packed it away otherwise we couldnt walk around in there. If you stay there get a bigger room, we had a Superior Double Room, Balcony, City View so go bigger than that. Again a good amount of Michelin restaurants close by. We ate at Oaxen Krog and it was very good.
      2020 V60 T5 Inscription Fusion Red Luxury and Advanced Package

We stayed at the Steelhouse. Plenty of parking in an underground parking garage beneath the hotel. Very modern, convenient location and very cost effective.

Everyone,

Thank you all so very much for chiming in and contributing. I had no real expectations that anyone would even reply, but am overwhelmed that all of you have and more may follow.

I think you'll find that Volvo owners generally tend to be a friendly bunch. Welcome to the OSD club!
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

We too decided not to drive our new car; last January. We too stayed at the Hilton Slussen in Stockholm - and also used Hilton points for the 4 nights (similar to JulieK). Located close to a subway station (about one city block walk). Walking distance to Gamla stan, and the subways can get you everywhere. Breakfast was included and rather good - but not as expansive as the Clarion Post in Gothenburg!

Enjoy your trip!! Post pics please.
      2019 XC40 T5 Inscription (OSD), Luminous Sand, Adv, Prem, Vis, Heated Seats/Steering Wheel Packages, Harmon Kardon, Four-C Active Chassis
      2012 S60 T5

Skibum,

I am glad I joined the club then. :-) I hope the car is as good as the people on the forum have shown themselves to be. I have been reading a lot of the postings before I finally made my first post here.

We stayed in the Hotel Absalon. Very clean, modern, and a short walk from the train station. The food was excellent! Our only issue was no air conditioning, and it was unseasonably warm. Have fun with the planning.....

All yeses!!! "I would like a private bathroom and prefer a shower over a tub. Hotels with a safe in the room are a bonus. Again close to touristy attractions, and close to public transportation as i will need to get from the train station to the hotel and from the hotel to the airport in Sweden and from the airport in Denmark to the hotel and back to the airport."

We used the Hop On, Hop Off Buses and found them very convenient in both Stockholm and Copenhagen.

https://www.absalon-hotel.dk/en/
      Last edited by GregK; 01-11-2020 at 09:17 AM.
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4/2012) Ember Black/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2016 XC90 T6 (OSD 5/2016) Crystal White Pearl/Amber/Black l Momentum Plus,Vision,Convenience l 20" Alloy wheels/Wood steering wheel/Child booster seat/Black headliner/PA II

On my many trips to Copenhagen over the years, I always arrived by train from Germany at the Hovedbanegård and stayed at the Hotel Astoria, which is directly adjacent to the station's main entrance and a 1 minute walk with luggage. This smaller hotel is a bit spartan, the rooms are small, but the breakfast buffet is lavish and the rates are relatively low for this rather expensive city. Tivoli is right across from the station and everything in the city center is a convenient walk. Highly recommended!
      Current: 2020 V60 T5 FWD, Denim Blue/Blonde, Momentum, Multimedia, Premium, Advanced, Heated Seats & Steering Wheel, 19" Five Spoke Cut Rims
      Current: 2018 V90 T5 FWD, Mussel Blue/Charcoal, Inscription, Dark Flame Birch, Convenience, no B&W, HUD, Leather Dash, Black Headliner, Heated Steering Wheel
      Past: 2017 S90 T5 FWD;2 x 2015.5 V60 Drive-E T5 FWD; 2012 XC70 T6 AWD; 2012 S60 T5; 2010 V70 3.2; 2008 S40 T5; 2007 V50 T5
      First: 1981 245 DL

Volvobuff,

Thank you. Tivoli Garden won't be open while we are there sadly. :-( I am sure I will still have a great time in Denmark and Sweden, but it would have been better for me to delay until at least the end of April or sometime in May. Lots of things are closed down during the period we will be in both countries. Not even sure how many boats will be offering cruises in the fjords or archipelagos.

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements