Audio stopped playing
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 14 of 14
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      7

      Audio stopped playing

      I just purchased my 2010 XC90 3.2 about two weeks ago. When I started up the vehicle after work today, nothing plays from the speakers. I tried aux as well as the radio. The speakers work..... When my car's bluetooth connection connects, it makes the announcement over the speakers that you can hear. You just cant hear any music. The audio system turns off and on and switches as normal. It has worked all other instances since I've purchased the vehicle. Any ideas?

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,087
      Disconnect the battery overnight and reconnect the next day. In my case, a complete discharge of the system brought my radio back to life.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7396179
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    4. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      7
      I disconnected the negative terminal of my battery overnight for about 9 hours. No changes this morning. The vehicles memory didn’t seem to be wiped after reconnecting. Radio was powered on, still on the same station it was on the night prior. Audio still doesn’t play.

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,087
      Quote Originally Posted by M3FSQ View Post
      I disconnected the negative terminal of my battery overnight for about 9 hours. No changes this morning. The vehicles memory didn’t seem to be wiped after reconnecting. Radio was powered on, still on the same station it was on the night prior. Audio still doesn’t play.
      If the memory didn’t wipe then the system was still drawing power or had a reserve.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      If the memory didn’t wipe then the system was still drawing power or had a reserve.
      Is it just a matter of disconnecting for a longer period than 9 hours? Or do I need to take another step to make sure the system is wiped?

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      607
      Did the clock reset?

      Open the hatch and uncover the battery. Key off. Close the latch on the hatch with a screw driver so the car thinks the hatch is shut. Wait 15 minutes, then disconnect the ground cable from the battery negative. Touch the ground cable to the positive terminal of the battery for a few hours (or use a jumper wire to connect them.) Then, key to position II, reconnect the ground to the battery. Don't forget to open the hatch latch before you slam it shut!
      Last edited by John C; 01-09-2020 at 10:48 AM.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 173,000 miles and counting...

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      Did the clock reset?

      Open the hatch and uncover the battery. Key off. Close the latch on the hatch with a screw driver so the car thinks the hatch is shut. Wait 15 minutes, then disconnect the ground cable from the battery negative. Touch the ground cable to the positive terminal of the battery for a few hours (or use a jumper wire to connect them.) Then, key to position II, reconnect the ground to the battery. Don't forget to open the hatch latch before you slam it shut!
      Yes, the clock did actually reset

    10. #8
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,087
      Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
      Did the clock reset?

      Open the hatch and uncover the battery. Key off. Close the latch on the hatch with a screw driver so the car thinks the hatch is shut. Wait 15 minutes, then disconnect the ground cable from the battery negative. Touch the ground cable to the positive terminal of the battery for a few hours (or use a jumper wire to connect them.) Then, key to position II, reconnect the ground to the battery. Don't forget to open the hatch latch before you slam it shut!
      It doesn't take much for the clock to reset. The subsystems and memory, they apparently have longer term back-up storage (I'm assuming capacitors) that need time to drain.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      7
      I noticed some water sloshing around. It's been raining here in Hawaii for the last two weeks straight pretty much. I did some searches and read a little bit about the sunroof drain leaking. I unscrewed the top of the amplifier from under the passenger seat and I had about 3 gallons of water inside the footwell that I vacuumed out. I didn't have much time this evening after work to finish the job, but my plan is to try and continue to dry out the area even more, and then see if I can fix the root of the leak. I'm assuming my audio issues are tied to the water filling up under there.

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      607
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      It doesn't take much for the clock to reset.
      Agreed. My point was more to what it meant if it had not reset. Anyhow, the point of connecting the positive terminal to the chassis (NOT BATTERY!) ground is to provide an easy path for any charges to drain off.
      John C
      ---------------------
      2011 XC90 3.2 173,000 miles and counting...

    13. #11
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,087
      Quote Originally Posted by M3FSQ View Post
      I noticed some water sloshing around. It's been raining here in Hawaii for the last two weeks straight pretty much. I did some searches and read a little bit about the sunroof drain leaking. I unscrewed the top of the amplifier from under the passenger seat and I had about 3 gallons of water inside the footwell that I vacuumed out. I didn't have much time this evening after work to finish the job, but my plan is to try and continue to dry out the area even more, and then see if I can fix the root of the leak. I'm assuming my audio issues are tied to the water filling up under there.
      That'll do it. Your amp is probably dead.
      There may be a remote chance that after it dries out, it'll come back to life. Submerge it in a bag of rice or a ton of desiccant packs.
      May not work but doesn't hurt to try.

      In the meantime, yes, clean out the drain line or replace the drain line ideally.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      That'll do it. Your amp is probably dead.
      There may be a remote chance that after it dries out, it'll come back to life. Submerge it in a bag of rice or a ton of desiccant packs.
      May not work but doesn't hurt to try.

      In the meantime, yes, clean out the drain line or replace the drain line ideally.
      I cleared out the sunroof drain tubes on both sides.

      Driver side looked OK. The passenger side was clogged pretty bad. The L-joint was also broken and not connected through the hole in the panel, so water would have flowed into the vehicle.

      I ordered a replacement L-joint rubber piece that should arrive by the end of the week and duct taped the existing L-joint into the hole in the panel to hold it in place in the meantime. I partially opened up the carpeting without removing the passenger seat to dry out the area and noticed that the thick foam underneath the carpet is heavily soaked. I was hoping it would dry out after being vented for a few days. However, I've noticed more water filling up in the basin under the seat. I'm not sure if the water is existing water that is dripping out of the foam, or if it's from some other source. It did rain one night since I cleaned the tubes. I find it unlikely my duct tape job came undone but I haven't taken off the panel to look yet. The amount of water seems like too much for what could have come through the tubes in one night as well.

      Is there somewhere else that could be leaking water into there? A/C?

    15. #13
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,087
      Quote Originally Posted by M3FSQ View Post
      I cleared out the sunroof drain tubes on both sides.

      Driver side looked OK. The passenger side was clogged pretty bad. The L-joint was also broken and not connected through the hole in the panel, so water would have flowed into the vehicle.

      I ordered a replacement L-joint rubber piece that should arrive by the end of the week and duct taped the existing L-joint into the hole in the panel to hold it in place in the meantime. I partially opened up the carpeting without removing the passenger seat to dry out the area and noticed that the thick foam underneath the carpet is heavily soaked. I was hoping it would dry out after being vented for a few days. However, I've noticed more water filling up in the basin under the seat. I'm not sure if the water is existing water that is dripping out of the foam, or if it's from some other source. It did rain one night since I cleaned the tubes. I find it unlikely my duct tape job came undone but I haven't taken off the panel to look yet. The amount of water seems like too much for what could have come through the tubes in one night as well.

      Is there somewhere else that could be leaking water into there? A/C?
      You would be surprised how much water the XC can hold if your drain tube has been disconnected or was plugged up. Start at the 1:00 minute mark and you'll see.

      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      Central VA
      Posts
      39
      I haven't had any issues with the sunroof drains on my XC90 yet but I am going to do some preventative maintenance on them before they give me an issue. Instead of replacing the L-joint/elbow, I am just going to use a 3/8 brass barb hose fitting and extend the hose into the hole that the L-joint/elbow connects to. I got the idea from a YouTube video. I feel like this is a little more permanent as I am sure the replacement L-joint/elbow pieces will also eventually fail/clog.

      2000 S80 T6 - 260k Miles
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - 210k Miles
      2008 S40 2.4i - 150k Miles

    17. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Radio/CD only playing static ('06 V50 w/ Premium Audio)
      By frosho in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 01-29-2019, 04:09 AM
    2. Playing audio files from USB stick, does not seem to randomize ALL
      By EricJRW in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 11-03-2017, 01:55 PM
    3. Playing audio files from USB stick, does not seem to randomize ALL
      By EricJRW in forum Car Audio, Video & Mobile Electronics Forum
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-03-2017, 01:50 PM
    4. Replies: 7
      Last Post: 06-29-2013, 08:56 PM
    5. 98' V70R with Hertz Audio speakers playing awful
      By S60 D5 in forum Car Audio, Video & Mobile Electronics Forum
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 01-06-2012, 06:30 AM