Advice-Auto trans delayed/hard 1st to 2nd shift
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Advice-Auto trans delayed/hard 1st to 2nd shift

I have a relative who overheated her engine in her 2006 v50. I was able to buy a complete, but wrecked, 05s40 from an insurance auction. When I replaced the engine,I decided to just reuse her transmission, as I knew it was working fine, but had a lot of miles and very dark fluid. Some how, I didn't get the driver's axle seated correctly in the splines. So after the splines were damaged, I decided to swap in the trans from the part car. This transmission looked to have been rebuilt fairly recently. The torque converter had a build date of only a 1 1/2 years from when I got the car. The vb pan also had a gasket, instead of sealer. So I was very hopeful I could put this transmission in and be done with this car for a while.
      They drove it for about a month, with no problems. Then they tell me it's just reving and not shifting. I check it out and figure it's a bit low on fluid, so maybe it's that. I used Valvoline max life fluid, when I did the swap. Even topped off, it still was very slow to shift up from 1st to 2nd. If I put it in manual shift mode, I could count any where from 3 to 5 seconds from when I shifted up to 2nd and the transmission actually shifting. Plus the shift was very harsh.
      I decided it was either a solenoid or vb issue. So I swapped the old vb and solenoids into the this transmission. The old transmission worked fine, and was only removed because of the axle not being seated and messing up the splines. At the same time, I drained as much of the Valvoline as I could, and replaced it with aisin transmission fluid.
      Got it all back together and it's pretty much just as bad as before. Delayed up shifts from 1st to 2nd. It wasn't setting the transmission service urgent, red triangle as often, but I only drove it around my neighborhood several times, in case it failed on me.
      So 2 different vbs and solenoids, and the trans had the same shifting problem. Is there anything I can do to salvage this transmission? And advice on the cause of this?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Probably the use of the Valvoline and now you have a mix of Valvoline and Aisin

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      Probably the use of the Valvoline and now you have a mix of Valvoline and Aisin
      So according to Valvoline's documentation here you used the correct Valvoline fluid.

Since there is no documentation from Valvoline that mentions you must flush out all prior fluid before using theirs, one could assume they are not worried about liability of incompatibility with the Aisin stock fluid. That being said did you measure and replace exactly? IIRC the auto trans uses 8 quarts, and you could be low unless you removed and replaced exactly and it might have even been low before you bought it.

Something else to consider is the 1-2 Accumulator goes bad and can cause a harsh 1-2 shift. I don't have an auto so I'm just going off of experience of my other vehicles.
      Sonnax makes a replacement for your transmission as mentioned in this document: Here
      Last edited by avenger09123; 01-07-2020 at 09:35 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So just a follow-up and asking for more advice. Work kept me busy, so I finally just got the sonnax zip kit installed in the vb, and reinstalled the vb.
      It didn't fix the problem
      At first, it seemed better, but after just a few shifts, it went back to very harsh gear changes. And it was both up shifts and down shifts.
      So is there anything else I can do to save this car?
      I'm thinking it's internal to the transmission and that means a rebuild. Not sure the car is worth that.

I've read quite a bit about how high temperature causes hard shifts on these transmissions, but that's usually in the "early" stages of things going bad.
      Try to drive in colder temperature (maybe early morning?) with the AC blasting the coolest air and see if that makes any difference in the way it shifts.

Overall a lot of folks on the Russian forums say "not smooth" 1-2 or 2-3 shifts are pretty common with these cars and usually can't be completely eliminated (but not like a truck hits you from behind though). On the US forums I haven't seen such information, maybe US transmissions work smoother

I've had slow 1-2 shifts in the cold, and lubegard 60902 tightened them up. I'd also use the OEM fluid, I got mine at a Toyota dealer.

Your situation does sound a lot more severe than mine was though, I sometimes had a lurchy 2-1 downshift but no lights ever.

I'm using aisin brand fluid they I got on rock Auto.
      The shift problem starts slowly but it only takes one or 2 times going through the gears before it is a 3 to 5 sec delay from 1st to 2nd. And the shift gets harder and harder. It is like being rear-ended. It's when hard on the 2nd to first downshift.
      And this all happens before I get out of my neighborhood!
      I'm afraid to take it on a main Street and here the red triangle warning come up again!
      I think at this point, unless someone has any other good ideas to fix this, we are just going to let it sit. I've got a bunch of other car stuff to do plus my regular job. I've spent about 6 months off and on working on this car, and I just have to move on.
      When I got my s40, with manual transmission, I had initially wanted an automatic. Now I'm glad I didn't get one. My s40 has been nearly perfect with regular maintenance and will hit 200k soon. This v50 had been nothing but a pain! I love it's look. But it's been such a Hassle
      Thanks everyone for the advice. I appreciate it!

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements